'new' Macbook Air 2014 - same old price on Thai Apple Store

dbk2322

The 2014 Macbook Air now has a 1.4ghz i5 processor in the base model instead of the 1.3GHz processor from last year. Everything else the same.

Also, a $100 price reduction. Nice, right? Oh wait - except on the Thailand Apple Store, which still has the same price as last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for those interested. If you call Apple Store Thailand and ask about the discount on the Macbook Air, they may (or may not) offer you some concession on price depending on the total value of your order.

The discount they offered me on a 56,000 baht configuration was 2,800 baht.

I assume that means you will have to complete the order on the phone with them to take advantage of the offer, though I don't know for sure.

They will not answer any questions about their price policy.

If you google Jeff McNeil's blog in Chiang Mai he had some comments about Apple's lack of price control in secondary markets not being great for good will. I would agree with that.

• 2 weeks later...

These things usually take a few days or a week to arrive in the TH Apple store.

You didn't say how much it cost last year, and I don't know, but 30,900 for the cheapest configuration compares favorably with USD 899 in the USA.

The Thai price includes 7% VAT, the US price doesn't so that model is actually cheaper in Thailand than it is in the USA.

• Like 1

You're a little late to the party there, Nikster smile.png

Post coup baht devaluation did change the math. It's maybe 500 baht / $16 less now on the Thai site. I'm not sure that offsets the lack of in-country product support. And yes, I did/do consider tax.

But this was never about the price, but rather the sneaky phantom discount policy. When you clicked the MBA part of the Apple Thai Store you got this "Now 30,900" promotional banner, when in fact it was 30,900 before too.

No, there is no trickling down a month after the fact. Nor is 'trickling' a policy supported by Apple. Other countries updated their specs and pricing the day of the announcement.

Some additional info: After I made my initial post, I did call Apple Thailand about the Macbook Air, and, amazingly, they tried to tout the price reduction as a reason to buy. When I pointed out there was no reduction, red faces all around. Later they wanted to do something 'individually' for me. That's why I posted again - letting you all know that you can call and play 'let's make a deal' if you're so inclined.

For me it's not about that. I guess they had their reasons for not participating in the discount. And that's fine; I don't even need to know what those were. Just don't pretend like you're going along with a discount when you're not.

Edited by dbk2322

• 3 weeks later...

I can't knock the Thai Apple store. When I bought my MBP at the end of last year the cost was 80,500 THB (about £1,600 at the time). The identical spec model on the UK Apple store (at the same time) was £2,500!

• 2 weeks later...