Bangkok: Driver who mowed down three police officers released on bail

webfact

Driver who mowed down three police officers released on bail
The Nation

30232565-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The driver, who allegedly mowed down three police officers and wounded three others in a car accident in downtown Bangkok on Sunday, was released on bail yesterday after his uncle posted a Bt1.4-million land title deed as guarantee. The bail was actually set at Bt500,000.

Nawaphorn Phetkaew, 25, is expected to report to Criminal Court on June 16, while police wait to interview 10 witnesses and await forensic results. Nawaphorn's uncle Prachuap Chumai said the family would take responsibility and had already spoken to the deceased cops' relatives in order to provide compensation.

Following the accident, Metropolitan Police Division 7 has instructed police to be extra careful while manning checkpoints, which would have clearer signs.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-30

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry you know the police are partially to blame. They throw themselves in front of traffic to get cars to stop and even try to grab on to motorcycles to make them stop. Im not saying this man is not at fault because he is. But police should have a better system to get drivers than standing at a checkpoint waiting to grab you.

A few years ago I had a motobike accident in Pattaya when a "policeman" rushed out of nowhere and tried to stop me. He grabbed my arm and it took me down and him with me. Broke the bike up a little but nothing major, but it did cut me up a bit. He hurt his ankle or foot. I went toe to toe in his face SCREAMING at him and pushing him until he backed down and let me go. I had a farang meltdown on him, and I'm a pretty stocky big guy, not an older easy to pick on type. I think the whole episode, going down with me and my total freak out, startled him. Whatever the case, that was one stop that didn't go the way he though it was going to. I've had a couple of run ins with real idiot police in Pattaya, almost always the same thing with them jetting out in front of you and trying to stop you on a bike at 3am on some side soi. No thanks. I suppose I am partly to blame by being out at 3 - 4 am, but what is Pattaya for if you can't be out that late?

Driving a car, have not had any real issues yet. Just normal stops, always polite and send me on my way. The way it should be. It's only on a bike and in Pattaya where I've had a few real problems.

• Like 1

Terry you know the police are partially to blame. They throw themselves in front of traffic to get cars to stop and even try to grab on to motorcycles to make them stop. Im not saying this man is not at fault because he is. But police should have a better system to get drivers than standing at a checkpoint waiting to grab you.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You need to read the original thread about this, the cops were taking a break under a tent on a foot path when this guy ran thru the road block and over them

This time. 8 out of 10 times on any other day they very well may jump right in front of the driver.

Perhaps this will wake them up a bit and move their card table and chairs out of the way.

• Like 1

Of ALL the cars that went through that checkpoint,

Only ONE driver could not see the check point

When he finally saw it, without a telephone on his ear, his car had a brake failure, could not stop in time, could not see a tent..

And all of that driving at a reasonable speed....

Bail...

• Like 2

Good let him on bail, he is no different than the Protester leaders who are apprehended and release on bail. Just as long as you don't commit a crime under article 112. Then no bail at all.

There was a case last year where three police officers were found guilty of murdering a drug suspect in custody. They received the death penalty but are out on bail awaiting their appeal. So I can't see why bail isn't good for anybody and any crime. As long as you have the money spring yourself. This guy is no different. I hope he doesn't have another ' accident ' while he awaits trial.

• Like 1

Time to get serious.........sentence him to TWO slaps on the wrist.

oh that is a little harsh, corporal punishment is so barbaric. Have him say sorry and 1 hour at the Temple.smile.png

One hour?? Why so long...the guy has a life to resume.....No, send a representative to the temple sounds about right!

• Like 2

Good let him on bail, he is no different than the Protester leaders who are apprehended and release on bail. Just as long as you don't commit a crime under article 112. Then no bail at all.

You overlooked the most obvious group that regularly gets denied bail due to flight risk - foreigners.

Section 112 bail actually depends on your wealth and connections for Thais like everything else but the bar is higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

We westerners need to get over the nursery rhyme that we learned as children:

Sticks and stones will break my bones

But words will never harm me

Here in Thailand, face unfortunately is more important than physical injury

So you can't compare Lèse-majesté laws with anything we have in our home countries, even murder and rape !

A few years ago I had a motobike accident in Pattaya when a "policeman" rushed out of nowhere and tried to stop me. He grabbed my arm and it took me down and him with me. Broke the bike up a little but nothing major, but it did cut me up a bit. He hurt his ankle or foot. I went toe to toe in his face SCREAMING at him and pushing him until he backed down and let me go. I had a farang meltdown on him, and I'm a pretty stocky big guy, not an older easy to pick on type. I think the whole episode, going down with me and my total freak out, startled him. Whatever the case, that was one stop that didn't go the way he though it was going to. I've had a couple of run ins with real idiot police in Pattaya, almost always the same thing with them jetting out in front of you and trying to stop you on a bike at 3am on some side soi. No thanks. I suppose I am partly to blame by being out at 3 - 4 am, but what is Pattaya for if you can't be out that late?

Driving a car, have not had any real issues yet. Just normal stops, always polite and send me on my way. The way it should be. It's only on a bike and in Pattaya where I've had a few real problems.

And if he had put a bullet in yer head and 10 yabba pills in yer pocket, no one would have batted an eyelid. I doubt very much he was startled, he's the 1 with the shooter!

I have had cops try to stop me on my bike too crossing lanes of busy traffic to get to me. Worse then having to follow them to their stops. They are greedy little bastards those cops, and i have heard many stories of them getting hit by cars and bikes.

This case was totally different of-course and the guy guilty.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The officers killed and injured in this accident were not "throwing themselves in front of traffic", they were in a rest tent on the pavement and were in no way to blame.