Bangkok: Driver who mowed down three police officers released on bail

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute, the kids messes up. He's not stoned not drunk. He takes responsibility, says he lost control, doesn't blame chouffer. Admits guilt. Pays the families. He's a bad driver, but does the right thing... And TV members still gripe? Seriouly?

Is "lost control" an admission of stupidity or incompetence? He's a bad driver who seems to be legally blind without his glasses who only killed 3 people - should we give him a medal?

Terry you know the police are partially to blame. They throw themselves in front of traffic to get cars to stop and even try to grab on to motorcycles to make them stop. Im not saying this man is not at fault because he is. But police should have a better system to get drivers than standing at a checkpoint waiting to grab you.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh, I dunno. I hit the peddle of my old jeep laugh.png You never saw Thai cops jump so fast w00t.gif

BTW Agree withe the comparison re lese majeste. But nothing, but nothing is ever going to change here .... until .... then it'll get worse.

Singapore's nice at this time of year.

And if you get any threats, especially if you're a wimpy knob- Cambodia is a safe haven they say, for cowards evading the law. Cheap beer too, since he evidently likes his booze.

I believe a healthy bank account is a safe haven for those wishing to evade what, haha, passes for the law here. Red bullock was just too high profile, international press and all.

Terry you know the police are partially to blame. They throw themselves in front of traffic to get cars to stop and even try to grab on to motorcycles to make them stop. Im not saying this man is not at fault because he is. But police should have a better system to get drivers than standing at a checkpoint waiting to grab you.

The officers killed and injured in this accident were not "throwing themselves in front of traffic", they were in a rest tent on the pavement and were in no way to blame.

Qualify the word, "Officers", because I am not convinced that one who extorts money from another with threat of retaliation could constitute the proper definition of an officer.

Qualify the legality of what they were doing there, what they were discussing with the operators of the vehicles they pulled over, what they were doing accepting money and putting it in their pockets, why they never write tickets and document the people and their vehicles, etc etc ad nausea.

I would feel the same way were this man to have swerved to avoid hitting a dog, and instead ran over a bank robber fleeing a bank.

If they aren't upholding the law 100%, then the blame is all theirs.

They have no business impersonating officers and badgering and harassing the general public. But yes! I know TIT Thailand, hence let's keep the logic along those same lines and not confuse these bums with what an officer is, regardless of what they are wearing, where they stand, or lie down or what time it is.

Wait a minute, the kids messes up. He's not stoned not drunk. He takes responsibility, says he lost control, doesn't blame chouffer. Admits guilt. Pays the families. He's a bad driver, but does the right thing... And TV members still gripe? Seriouly?

I think this is a rather naive interpretation of what is going on. My guess would be that this young man who seems well connected and has been getting advice or even told what to do by professionals employed by "his family". If he was from a less well-heeled background, do you think he would get the same treatment?

• Like 1

A few years ago I had a motobike accident in Pattaya when a "policeman" rushed out of nowhere and tried to stop me. He grabbed my arm and it took me down and him with me. Broke the bike up a little but nothing major, but it did cut me up a bit. He hurt his ankle or foot. I went toe to toe in his face SCREAMING at him and pushing him until he backed down and let me go. I had a farang meltdown on him, and I'm a pretty stocky big guy, not an older easy to pick on type. I think the whole episode, going down with me and my total freak out, startled him. Whatever the case, that was one stop that didn't go the way he though it was going to. I've had a couple of run ins with real idiot police in Pattaya, almost always the same thing with them jetting out in front of you and trying to stop you on a bike at 3am on some side soi. No thanks. I suppose I am partly to blame by being out at 3 - 4 am, but what is Pattaya for if you can't be out that late?

Driving a car, have not had any real issues yet. Just normal stops, always polite and send me on my way. The way it should be. It's only on a bike and in Pattaya where I've had a few real problems.

And if he had put a bullet in yer head and 10 yabba pills in yer pocket, no one would have batted an eyelid. I doubt very much he was startled, he's the 1 with the shooter!
The next time we'll be reading about Tokay on this forum. He obviously has no idea about Thai police.

Good let him on bail, he is no different than the Protester leaders who are apprehended and release on bail. Just as long as you don't commit a crime under article 112. Then no bail at all.

whats your point ...there should be no bail full stop..just digging all the time arnt you..

First of all, it is up to the courts to prove guilt and sentence.

One would assume there is no doubt of his guilt and he probably will do time.

But as I read it he was evading a police check point, his actions were reckless and resulted in the deaths of 3 police officers, IMHO there is no evidence that the murder of the officers was intentional.

The guy getting bail is no surprise to me, he would in the UK and probably in every other 1st world country.

In the UK:

Once charged, the police must release you on bail unless the custody officer reasonably believes that:

• There is doubt about your name or address; or
  • Detention is necessary to protect you or somebody else; or
  • You will fail to attend court or will interfere with witnesses or the administration of justice.

Like the courts, the police are now able to attach conditions to your bail, such as living at a fixed address, reporting to a local police station, obeying a curfew, avoiding named people or places, or providing a financial guarantee for your attendance at court.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/the-rights-of-defendants/bail.html

These rules even apply to people charged with murder.

Edited by Basil B

Following the accident, Metropolitan Police Division 7 has instructed police to be extra careful while manning checkpoints, which would have clearer signs.

So, Metropolitan Police Division 7 admits that they should have had clearer signs, and have been extra careful.

A bit like "guilt by admonition" if I read that correctly.

EDIT: Incidentally, was a blood alcohol test ran on those impersonators, including the deceased? I doubt it.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Thais are very superstitious, and all the hocus pocus that goes with it.

In a Thai's perspective, those 3 policemen were destined to die right there at that time.

Now that it's done, the wheel of karma played itself out for those 3. In their view, it's akin to; 'why cry over spilled milk?' ....but of course, there's the money aspect, and the families of the 3 dead cops will get handsome compensation.

Also; Thai justice is extremely subjective.

A few years ago I had a motobike accident in Pattaya when a "policeman" rushed out of nowhere and tried to stop me. He grabbed my arm and it took me down and him with me. Broke the bike up a little but nothing major, but it did cut me up a bit. He hurt his ankle or foot. I went toe to toe in his face SCREAMING at him and pushing him until he backed down and let me go. I had a farang meltdown on him, and I'm a pretty stocky big guy, not an older easy to pick on type. I think the whole episode, going down with me and my total freak out, startled him. Whatever the case, that was one stop that didn't go the way he though it was going to. I've had a couple of run ins with real idiot police in Pattaya, almost always the same thing with them jetting out in front of you and trying to stop you on a bike at 3am on some side soi. No thanks. I suppose I am partly to blame by being out at 3 - 4 am, but what is Pattaya for if you can't be out that late?

Driving a car, have not had any real issues yet. Just normal stops, always polite and send me on my way. The way it should be. It's only on a bike and in Pattaya where I've had a few real problems.

I hadn't seen this bike-grabbing until the other night, in Chiang Mai, when a policeman leaped out, grabbing the bike and dragging the pillion passenger off.

He was into the backpack like a rat up a drain, and could easily have planted something there if that was his aim.

From Original TV Article:

"He said the accident occurred when he unsuccessfully tried to overtake a car only to see a vehicle coming the other way. As he swerved back to the left lane, he lost control, hitting his head on the wheel and dropping his glasses. He didn't see the police tent until he hit it."

FWIW (not much, probably), I believe him. Put a young, probably inexperienced driver into an over-speeding, unfamiliar SUV and overload him with several concurrent realtime problems and an overreaction in a notoriously unforgiving vehicle type and "bingo".

The BiB were in the wrong place/wrong time, which could be just about anywhere on the streets of Bangkok with drivers like this out there.

May they rest in peace and the injured completely recover.

Edited by MaxYakov

Section 112 bail actually depends on your wealth and connections for Thais like everything else but the bar is higher.

Really? Can you give a name or six of Section 112 defendants out on bail?

Because I can give you a name or six of Section 112 defendants who have no money problems whatsoever and can't or couldn't get bail. One of them, denied bail 16 times despite having cash in hand, today is the third anniversary of his going inside, still awaiting trial.

In a Thai's perspective, those 3 policemen were destined to die right there at that time.

My perspective here is you don't have the gumption to go to the funerals or wakes and inform the families of that.

FWIW (not much, probably), I believe him. Put a young, probably inexperienced driver into an over-speeding, unfamiliar SUV and overload him with several concurrent realtime problems and an overreaction in a notoriously unforgiving vehicle type and "bingo".

I disagree with part of that. He's 25. If you still can't drive at 25, being young has nothing to do with it. He said he had no experience with the Pajero. Well, okay, but that just means that rather than inexperienced he was pretty dumb to push the car well beyond his own limits to control it. Again, 25 is way, way more than old enough to realise his limits and to decide whether to obey those limits or ignore them. He made some wrong, bad choices, because he IS old enough to make them.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

I hadn't seen this bike-grabbing until the other night, in Chiang Mai, when a policeman leaped out, grabbing the bike and dragging the pillion passenger off.

He was into the backpack like a rat up a drain, and could easily have planted something there if that was his aim.

I witnessed an incident a few years back at set of traffic lights in Pattaya, a young lad (Thai) without a crash helmet on a motor bike was trying to weave his way though the stationary traffic undetected by the police officers on duty at the lights, two police office approached him and he just speed forward, where a more senior officer was able grab the bike, unfortunately the officer could not hold on to the bike and the lad jumped the lights, then stopped on the other side of the road just to give the police the finger.

While Thais (and some none Thais) think this behavior is acceptable Thailand will always be lawless.

• Like 1

He does look a dumb pratt, almost like a Simpsons character in appearance. Well done to the police for letting a lunatic like this with more money than sense back on the roads. I can't believe the idiocy of Thai drivers with absolutely no driving accumen or intelligence, driving a lethal weapon. I have never known an entire race to be so slow off the traffic lights yet when they've woken up they put to push into every conceivable gap or race like Lewis Hamilton. Question, I know some motorcyclists dont turn their lights on their motorbikes because they think it saves them fuel. Do motorists believe that moving at a snails pace from the traffic lights also saves them fuel? If this is the case than they are the biggest bunch of skinflints ever. I could go on all day about their driving habits and general lack of courtesy for other road users, such a self righteous race who think they deserve everything and give nothing. Is it also considered a loss of face to pull over for a faster moving vehicle? Why do they hog the fast lane and never pull over? The quickest way to get anywhere is by using the slow lane I find. Rant over and RIP to the BiB, your families have already been bought.

Fred, the reason they are slow off at the lights is because they are in 4th or 5th gear all the time. Many times as a nervous passenger I've noted the complete lack of gear use to slow down and stop. They never change down to overtake either. NFI (no f@cking idea)

Compression braking just reduces engine lifespan. Brakes are cheaper to repair (than engines, clutches, transmissions, etc). Gearing down for overtaking is completely dependent on where you are (or will be after a gear-down) on your engine's torque curve and what kind of overtaking performance is required and what kind of fuel economy is desired and, last but not least, who one might want to impress. These real-time mental computations come automatically to an experienced manual transmission driver who is attuned to his/her drive train- eliminating most taxi drivers in Bangkok. It's just "too much work" to shift.

I don't disagree with your NFI comment, however, they aren't the only ones out there with that syndrome.

Edited by MaxYakov

Section 112 bail actually depends on your wealth and connections for Thais like everything else but the bar is higher.

Really? Can you give a name or six of Section 112 defendants out on bail?

Because I can give you a name or six of Section 112 defendants who have no money problems whatsoever and can't or couldn't get bail. One of them, denied bail 16 times despite having cash in hand, today is the third anniversary of his going inside, still awaiting trial.

My perspective here is you don't have the gumption to go to the funerals or wakes and inform the families of that.

I disagree with part of that. He's 25. If you still can't drive at 25, being young has nothing to do with it. He said he had no experience with the Pajero. Well, okay, but that just means that rather than inexperienced he was pretty dumb to push the car well beyond his own limits to control it. Again, 25 is way, way more than old enough to realise his limits and to decide whether to obey those limits or ignore them. He made some wrong, bad choices, because he IS old enough to make them.

Sondhi Limtrakool is out on bail after being convicted by the appeals court in Oct 2013. Veera Musikapong was given bail on 112 charges as a deputy minister. The bar is much higher but it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

what an idiotic reply >? I hope while on bail he doesn't do the same again hitting someone you know or your family.....he looks like a dumb pratt also

The pot calling the kettle black comes to mind.

Put your photo up and we can deduce your intelligence or lack of.Has this person got a history of running down people,if not why not bail.I thought glasses made you look more intelligent,it works for me.

You need to read the original thread about this, the cops were taking a break under a tent on a foot path when this guy ran thru the road block and over them

The police aren't nearly so aggressive in trying to stop drivers/ riders as suggested anyway.. I've seen bike riders and cars just swerve away or ignore the checkpoints or even policemen simply directing traffic!.. no policeman puts himself in harm's way for no good reason and why he should he?.. as you say, these poor chaps were taking a break in a tent, for God's sake!!.. basically, the above is just another post just claiming to 'know' what they simply don't!!! wai.gif

• Like 1

He does look a dumb pratt, almost like a Simpsons character in appearance. Well done to the police for letting a lunatic like this with more money than sense back on the roads. I can't believe the idiocy of Thai drivers with absolutely no driving accumen or intelligence, driving a lethal weapon. I have never known an entire race to be so slow off the traffic lights yet when they've woken up they put to push into every conceivable gap or race like Lewis Hamilton. Question, I know some motorcyclists dont turn their lights on their motorbikes because they think it saves them fuel. Do motorists believe that moving at a snails pace from the traffic lights also saves them fuel? If this is the case than they are the biggest bunch of skinflints ever. I could go on all day about their driving habits and general lack of courtesy for other road users, such a self righteous race who think they deserve everything and give nothing. Is it also considered a loss of face to pull over for a faster moving vehicle? Why do they hog the fast lane and never pull over? The quickest way to get anywhere is by using the slow lane I find. Rant over and RIP to the BiB, your families have already been bought.

While your ranting about "all Thai drivers" may i bring your attention to smart Thai drivers that take off slow,thus avoiding getting slammed by red light runners.Shows common sense to me,you know it does.Whats the hurry Freddy.

I think this is a rather naive interpretation of what is going on. My guess would be that this young man who seems well connected and has been getting advice or even told what to do by professionals employed by "his family". If he was from a less well-heeled background, do you think he would get the same treatment?

So your suggesting he cant have a lawyer to advise him.

From Original TV Article:

"He said the accident occurred when he unsuccessfully tried to overtake a car only to see a vehicle coming the other way. As he swerved back to the left lane, he lost control, hitting his head on the wheel and dropping his glasses. He didn't see the police tent until he hit it."

FWIW (not much, probably), I believe him.

Don't know how he could have seen a vehicle coming the other way as he attempted his undertaking move, because the road is a dual carriageway with all traffic moving in the same direction.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1