Trying to Build Home in Issan, on a Slab! What a Nightmare!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few photos of some floating rafts I took up near Kanchanburi . Sorry I don't know how to post photos directly to this forum yet, so I had to link from another forum where I had posted some. I have some photos of these under contruction as well, but have yet to post them. Floatation was rather simple, mostly round steel pipe, some of which I suspect might have been 'gas line' pipe, with added end caps. 89426d1394895809-retirement-houseboat-fl89427d1394895822-retirement-houseboat-fl89425d1394895791-retirement-houseboat-fl

Edited by boatguy
  • Like 2

There are many countries as hot if not hotter then Thailand, Vietnam for instance, here thay build many houses on slab, but as I have also pointed out they have been occupied by Ferang, French Belgian USA etc so have learnt other ways of many things, Thailand has not had this advantage, and I have told them in no uncertain terms, as I am paying WILL be my way, but still the Blank Stare!

I was told this morning that I will not find a builder in Issan who will build for me, but have found one in Buriram, who not only reads plans but has email also! Bonus.

But the Village Boss says I must have his approval and pay him 50,000Bt, is this normal?

Can you speak thai? I'm bettin it was your wife told you about the 50,000! lol

If the OP is really interested in advise concerning the foundation slab, which I doubt, I would suggest that he follows the traditional Thai building technique of digging 1 m deep footings at least 1x1 meter pad and column to the slab. The slab supported by beams

foundation12.jpg

there is good reason for doing that

A Raft slab might be good for some soil conditions, but not good for most soil conditions in Thailand

Firstly you need to get to a certain dept to insure stable undisturbed soil

Second most soil in Thailand is clay, Clay when wet expands in size considerably, a surface raft slab will rise unevenly during the wet season , drop during the dry season and be more subject to cracking. Again digging footings to a stable soil dept is advisable

once you have already started with the footing columns, it will be stupid to stop them at the slab level, where for a minimal additional cost you can continue them to the roof line and insure a more secure supporting structure

and a much easier and less expensive wall system with better insulating properties.

But if you still want to do it your way and ignore local practices, please go ahead

Just make sure you post your build in the do it your self forum, we can all use a good laugh.

Bravo!!

attachicon.gifSamphrao House 003.JPGThe wife and I built our Isan house made with brick on poles. We used the brick with air pockets instead of the smaller solid type. What we saved in brick weight we paid for in walls that hold in the heat of the day. If you use the type of brick we did, fill those holes with some type of light insulation material. It will really make it cooler inside. Insulation above the ceiling is a must.

Our Cement poles, lined with rebar, were set down into the bedrock and a 3 cubic foot block of rebar lined concrete poured around the base of each pole. The slab was poured later

You need to be on site watching the workers. They all claim to be pros. The truth is they know just enough to cause you headaches.

The claim that the Phu Yai Ban requires a building fee is bogus; but the wife asked a Buddhist monk to advise where to locate the main sao (pole) on our plot and an auspicious date to begin. She also asked the village shaman to come to preform the permission to build ceremony on our land, in order to appease the spirits that live there. These are little important matters Thais take seriously.

Our house came out more or less 90% the way we designed it. We are happy to live in it and so far, after 4 years, no cracks; and we have had some cat. 4 tropical storms blast through here during that time and small floods that go away as most do up here in Isan.

Very nice house, a tropical paradise

Well doneclap2.gif

Did I see a Took Took in the last picture? if so then you are really my herosmile.png

• Like 1

Jeezus wept. What a bunch of depressing posts, from the OP to the majority of whinging replies. This no good, that no good, Thais not got a clue. Rip off. Builders drink at the end of a working day (!?) blah blah.

Are any of you actually happy here?

(house built in 2005 and still standing, and have seen lots of well built homes out in the sticks).

If you are not, why are you still here?

Fantastic, a 9 year old house still standing;)

• Like 1

Here's a pic of our bricklayers. All drinking at the end of the day. Most wouldn't show up daily, just when they needed a bit more money from sucker falang me. I sacked most, knocked down walls and so it went like that until I could have killed someone. I was fuming. My neighbour Henry threw a brick at one. I just drank a lot of beer.

cheesy.gif

Here we go....

You say this..'.I may as well talk to the hand'.

Correctclap2.gif... you may as well.thumbsup.gif...Welcome to building in Issan!!

Building in the village without a professional Thai builder is very very similar to belting your head into a concrete wall. Very painful.

DON'T use these so called village tradesman who say they can do the work....They are full of crap. Waste of time, money, and you will end up hating them, your blood pressure will sky rocket, then hate the village and the idiots that live there, and make you wish you never wanted a house there. Forget trying to build a western style house out there, ever. It won't work. Oh btw, your wife will likely insist these guys she hired know what they're doing, then you will be angry with her, creating more angst, causing you to be convinced 100% all Thais hate westerners, and even your wifes on their side not yours.

Plans!!...HAAAAA...what plans?...welcome to Issan, the only plan there is get lao kao, and drink it, then go work for you the falang and lie to your face, they are terrible liars mind you village 'tradesman'...

After over 20 years of building here in Australia, building a house in an Issan village makes me think why did I start the job? I thought I could, and not that I can't, it's just a slug everyday.

It's too late for me now, come too far, although have considered knocking it down, but you still have time to re asses your build plan.

In hinds sight, I should have just bought a Thai lanna house and dropped it completely built on the land, then hooked up the electrical and plumbing, job done!, no stress, no village idiots, and a beautiful square house. I mean that's all we want right?

Here's a pic of our bricklayers. All drinking at the end of the day. Most wouldn't show up daily, just when they needed a bit more money from sucker falang me. I sacked most, knocked down walls and so it went like that until I could have killed someone. I was fuming. My neighbour Henry threw a brick at one. I just drank a lot of beer.

Anyway, that's our story, perhaps yours will be different, but I really doubt it mate.

Totally agree, don't use local guys or fall for the 'Oh, my cousin can do that' line. Pay the extra money and get it done properly.

I have shown them all of the 7 Homes I have Built in Australia

u think that impresses them? the only thing they conclude is you have too much money.

...that's why he's been asked for 50 k permission fee .......

By instructions from OP's wife, most likely !

I had a house built 6 years ago, and had some unusual ideas according to the builder. He was able and willing to do some, but not all that I wanted. I'm happy with the result, and after the project was over I understood his reluctance to try unfamiliar things. He knew what he knew.

I think it's best to let the builders and laborers do what they know how to do. An acquaintance had a house built on a slab and it didn't work well for him as his house has a significant crack running the entire width of his house. This is after he thought he had made sure there was sufficient steel and ground preparation prior to the pour. The crack didn't show up for a few years, but is now there and I think it is growing.

Insisting on doing things our way is not always productive even though we believe we know best.

• Like 1

OP,

There are actually quite a few reasons why they stilt their homes Vs a slab. I investigated this sometime back before we built ours.

1) Stilted homes keep the local nature out of the house

2) Flood protection

3) The underneath is used floor space and car park to avoid building a car cover

4) Having the home stilted is actually cooler than a slab

5) External plumbing underneath for easy access

While not all the time, sometimes listening to the locals can provide legitimate reasons for what they do. I know a few foreigners who built slab homes and it cracked as it settled lifting the tile flooring. While we believe as foreigners we always have a better way to do things, it is not always the case.

On a personal side note, I quite like a stilted home, especially in the country. Seems to match the landscape versus some of the gigantic over built foreigner homes that look like eyesores. I never understood why they do that but to each his own.

Anyway, good luck on your build in Isaan. I like your thoughts of extended eaves, great idea with the amount of rain we see in Thailand.

If your going the slab way, make it mighty thick...........thumbsup.gif

That's good advice - and make sure there is more than a "little bit" of aggragate in the pour whistling.gif , as opposed to the usual slurry.

I saw a slab being poured once - at first I thought they were cleaning out the concrete mixer as the liquid emanating from it was as far from concrete as you could get. However, it was self levelling. w00t.gif

Davo....Heed these words from GSXRNZ.....That is exactly what happened to me...BUT ONLY ONCE !....My main slab is now 8 inches thick, as i made them pour it again. Funny enough the floor turned out level with the extra concrete

why on earth do you need it 8 inch thick. surely you have a ring beam and then a slab about 4 inches thick all poured at the same time

I didn't need , and it wasn't intended, but by the time they got the actual levels right and poured the extra mixed right concrete, that's what i ended up with.

Another tip while building....the old timbers used for concreting...caught them using it to ram in the ends of the steel trusses to make the eves. i made them pull it all out and start again....Yes, you have to be on sight continually, and very aware of whats going on around you....NEVER again !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Back in the late 90's, an acquaintance began building a home outside of Udon and insisted on a cellar. Apparently, he had testicles, because the villagers told him it wasn't a good idea, but he insisted. Mid-way through the build and after the first few weeks of rainy season, he understood his idea wasn't a good one.

My wife and I have built a full-size house and a mid-size bungalow.......years apart....without paying off any village folks. The house still stands after 17 years....the bungalow after 1.

Thats more about the builders than the aim....what do you think about all the basement carparks in Bangkok in swamp country ?

Quite right too. If a swimming pool can keep the water in, it is possible to build a cellar that keeps the water out.

OP,

There are actually quite a few reasons why they stilt their homes Vs a slab. I investigated this sometime back before we built ours.

2) Flood protection

3) The underneath is used floor space and car park to avoid building a car cover

While not all the time, sometimes listening to the locals can provide legitimate reasons for what they do. I know a few foreigners who built slab homes and it cracked as it settled lifting the tile flooring. While we believe as foreigners we always have a better way to do things, it is not always the case.

On a personal side note, I quite like a stilted home, especially in the country. Seems to match the landscape versus some of the gigantic over built foreigner homes that look like eyesores. I never understood why they do that but to each his own.

Anyway, good luck on your build in Isaan. I like your thoughts of extended eaves, great idea with the amount of rain we see in Thailand.

While I understand your reasons, in my wife's village, as they get more money, most villagers are poring concrete slabs and building concrete walled downstairs rooms under the older elevated wooden homes. Tiled of course, for when the floods enter the house.

Jeezus wept. What a bunch of depressing posts, from the OP to the majority of whinging replies. This no good, that no good, Thais not got a clue. Rip off. Builders drink at the end of a working day (!?) blah blah.

Are any of you actually happy here?

(house built in 2005 and still standing, and have seen lots of well built homes out in the sticks).

If you are not, why are you still here?

Secret of happiness in Thailand- RENT, and don't give more than you can afford to lose to the wife and ( if really hooked into the myth that it is your responsibility to support your wife's family )the family.

OP,

2) Flood protection

Its a myth that its cooler, the ground under the slab is cooler than air temps if you dont have a conc path running round the slab...............ask Naam

Secret of happiness in Thailand- RENT, and don't give more than you can afford to lose to the wife and ( if really hooked into the myth that it is your responsibility to support your wife's family )the family.

Its interesting this belief that you will be happier to rent. I do however understand that statement will apply to the greater majority of foreigners who come visit, toss on rose colored glasses, quickly fall for a Thai girl, marry and buy the farm so to speak. Renting is an absolutely great way to learn about Thailand and where you may want to live.

I am quite happy we own and we use our place as a home base. Of course location is everything.

OP,

2) Flood protection

Its a myth that its cooler, the ground under the slab is cooler than air temps if you dont have a conc path running round the slab...............ask Naam

Actually not a myth at all but all good. I do not know Naam.

I'd never do a slab in TL, but that's me.

have just completed quite a large aussie queenslander house on slab at village, 100 ks from udon, in the bush, was the hardest and most frustrating project after 50 years as a builder, but it has come up really good, i am a perfectionist and rate the job at 90%, have a huge open plan with 8mtre by 8mtre area in the middle, made all the steel trusses on site, only posts to corners, not a post showing, every one was amazed but it can be done, if you are close you are welcome to have a look, still have the plans i drew up, i was the only one to use them, thai builders have inspected, but all say to hard for them as they do not know how to do, also double insulated the roof, have not had air con on yet, house is all steel , super block and concrete as white ants are in plauge proportions out here, will project manage for you if you need help, it can be done bobs

• Like 1

Paying 50,000 to a village elder for permission to build a home... they must think you are a complete idiot.

I would recommend

1. get away from the in-laws and extended family

2. rent, don't build

He he. The boss lady is our neighbour and she sometimes asked when I think I will be finished building the extension (answer: when I have some money..). The decision as to whether to build or not is up to you, I live from my pension so I won't be losing any capital, I live here for free anyway. Since I've been here, together with the brother in law, we rebuilt two houses and will be building a new one after the rice planting is finished. I have a great extended family, we all live in a compound and get on very well. Isn't that sweet?

Nice to see another farang that is not moaning about Thais being stupid and hating their in-laws..............."they just want your money bla bla bla"

Edited by lostinsurin