Trying to Build Home in Issan, on a Slab! What a Nightmare!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are paying for it...build it as you like.

The fixation with raising land...even when not needed is just crazy here......think everyone either wants to be higher than everyone else...or the mentality of just follow everyone else....either way crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

• Like 1

Davo...it takes time, but you have to learn to say... NO, NOT THAT WAY....My way or the highway.

if you want the slab down first to your specs.....hire someone to pour it thats all....then find someone to do the rest.

Some places raise the land to get the fall for their sewage, from what i have witnessed....doesnt matter if it goes to the neighbours...

So build yours higher than next door ok?

Good luck, if you allow them to do it their way....you will be rebuilding the place again in 3 yrs....guaranteed.

White Tiles around the outside of the house, seems to deter the reptiles......Thats what i was led to believe...They dont like the brightness and find it difficult to slide around on the slippery surface.....(gives the dogs a chance to have some fun)

• Like 1

There are many countries as hot if not hotter then Thailand, Vietnam for instance, here thay build many houses on slab, but as I have also pointed out they have been occupied by Ferang, French Belgian USA etc so have learnt other ways of many things, Thailand has not had this advantage, and I have told them in no uncertain terms, as I am paying WILL be my way, but still the Blank Stare!

I was told this morning that I will not find a builder in Issan who will build for me, but have found one in Buriram, who not only reads plans but has email also! Bonus.

But the Village Boss says I must have his approval and pay him 50,000Bt, is this normal?

• Like 2

For what it's worth: I dug a trench around the perimeter of where the slab would be. Reinforced this with iron, 'with bits sticking out'. I then built in one layer of 8cm blocks all around said future perimeter. I built the slab inside of that, with reinforcement attached to the 'bits sticking out'. This means that the slab is 15cm above the surrounding ground. I will continue using ACC blocks which are very light but load bearing. I will be building in steel supports, so that, as mentioned above. I can get the roof done and work away from the sun. My brother in law didn't even do this, he just built up with 15cm concrete blocks on the edge of the slab, no movement so far.

• Like 1

Paying 50,000 to a village elder for permission to build a home... they must think you are a complete idiot.

I would recommend

1. get away from the in-laws and extended family

2. rent, don't build

He he. The boss lady is our neighbour and she sometimes asked when I think I will be finished building the extension (answer: when I have some money..). The decision as to whether to build or not is up to you, I live from my pension so I won't be losing any capital, I live here for free anyway. Since I've been here, together with the brother in law, we rebuilt two houses and will be building a new one after the rice planting is finished. I have a great extended family, we all live in a compound and get on very well. Isn't that sweet?

mate, due to the amount of fill they put on the land before building they need to have what is equivent to deep peerage/floating slab in Australia so that the house doesnt sink and has foundations on something solid. Are you also looking at a truss roof with framed walls so that there are not cement coloumns all through the house and more open style rooms. Have to admit I hate the concrete columns as it restricts what you can do with the rooms, roof trusses let you have bigger rooms. Simply build it your way, tell the relo's to go f*** themselves as it is your house and you are paying for it, it has nothing what so ever to do with them and if they dont stop they will never be welcome there. Dont pay the head man, he is a corrupt thief like most of these figures, he sees you as a way to steal some cash, you can report these people to the authorities now for corruption, tell him that you dont mind donating a bottle od good scotch but thats it. If in doubt get legal advice, free in here now.

Good luck, just do what you want, f*** the rest of the idiots that think they know better.

• Like 2

I have worked a few large scale construction projects in Thailand. I think slabs are not the norm due to the instability of the ground. We've used bell bottom piers on large pumps to keep the foundation stable. Projects that haven't used these have big problems with settling. We are building a new house. The carport and shop area are 1 level nad we poured a slab. The main house is 2 levels and no slab. Use a lot of rebar. Only my experience

Edited by bangsaenguy
  • Like 1

There are many countries as hot if not hotter then Thailand, Vietnam for instance, here thay build many houses on slab, but as I have also pointed out they have been occupied by Ferang, French Belgian USA etc so have learnt other ways of many things, Thailand has not had this advantage, and I have told them in no uncertain terms, as I am paying WILL be my way, but still the Blank Stare!

I was told this morning that I will not find a builder in Issan who will build for me, but have found one in Buriram, who not only reads plans but has email also! Bonus.

But the Village Boss says I must have his approval and pay him 50,000Bt, is this normal?

50k baht are you joking now?..tell him to shove it. Laugh in his face, that will get him going.

Gee you got a giant learning curve ahead of you.

Have a look here mate. It's just an idea and plenty other places around to buy these types of property.

http://www.thailannahome.com/

Edit to say their prices are quite stupid. Much cheaper around if you look around.

Edited by krisb

50k baht are you joking now?..tell him to shove it. Laugh in his face, that will get him going.

Gee you got a giant learning curve ahead of you.

Have a look here mate. It's just an idea and plenty other places around to buy these types of property.

http://www.thailannahome.com/

Edit to say their prices are quite stupid. Much cheaper around if you look around.

I think those prices are a bit over the top. It pays to shop around , same homes can be had for about half the price. I see them along the roads frequently and pop in to check the price.

• Like 1

It looks to me you build the house for your in-laws and they might not like your design once you move away.

When I build our home, I used an iMac to design it with a correct floorplan and damn it was pure stress but the results are great. My wife backed me me up from the beginning and told everyone this house is build by my hubby to feel comfortable when living in Isaan. After three years and heavy raining, thunderstorms, flooding etc our home is still dry and in great shape.

The only thing I let my in laws decide was on which day the construction started because it has to be a good day to not upset the spirits. :)

• Like 2