Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

Mobi’s Update

After spending the early morning at the cop shop and then welcoming our three newcomers to Mobi’s in the afternoon, we settled in for what I assumed would be a slow-ish Tuesday.

After all, Monday was a pretty slow day - although it was not in any way a disaster - but what with one thing or another, I wasn’t expecting too much.

But as a good bar-owner friend told me, it’s becoming almost impossible to predict day by day how a bar’s business will do. On some weeks, Thursday will be a ‘off day’, and the next week, it will be a Monday, and so on. Sometimes, weekends can be slow, and then the very next weekend the bar will do a roaring trade.

There is little rhyme or reason to it, and we just have to ‘ride’ with the highs and lows if we don’t want to go completely round the bend.

And so it was with yesterday – Tuesday. At no time yesterday could I describe the bar as being close to full, but the customers kept coming and going all evening - right up to closing time and beyond - and when we totted up our day’s takings, we had had one of best trading days ever!

It was quite remarkable….

Our three newbie distaff staff, all straight out of a Nong Khai village and all of whom had never been near any kind of place of entertainment in their lives, were soon in the thick of it, keeping our numerous customers happy.

Yesterday, Singha John was conspicuous by his absence, but I am not counting my chickens just yet awhile. We’ll see if he returns to the scene of his disgraceful behaviour, and if so, what he decides to do about it.

Will he let it go and sit quietly and continue in his quest to double the profits of Boon Rawd Brewery ?

Or will he seek revenge as he has threatened to do?

If he does, he may live to rue the day.

Anyway, it’s onwards and upwards, and what with one thing and another, I am starting to feel quietly confident about the future of Mobi’s.

Many of our new customers are paying return visits, and we are continuing to receive compliments on our three main priorities: Service, Music and Food.

On top of this, we have created a pleasant ambience, in which you can indulge inlively and intelligent conversation with like-minded drinkers.

Or you can simply sit with your partner or friend(s); or indeed come by yourself and watch “the world of Mobi’s go on around you.

For the football fans, The EPL is beckoning on the horizon, and there will more news on this soon, including a few special ‘fun’ promotions to whet your footballing and drinking appetites….

• Like 1

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday was a bit of a funny old day.

No sign of Singha John in the afternoon – that’s the second day in a row, but it’s still a bit early to assume he won’t be back. We have a raft of documents awaiting him – a copy of the police report along with the transcripts of all his abusive sms’s….

Actually, there were very few customers during the day time, but as soon as night descended we started to fill up rapidly and by 7.30 the place was really buzzing.

People kept arriving and I was thanking my good luck that the extra 3 girls had arrived just in time to take care of everyone.

And so it went on until around 10 pm, when all of a sudden, everyone had departed and there was only one couple left in the bar.

These two left at around 10.30 and the bar remained empty until around 11.15 when Thai Visa's Raro arrived along with another well-known Thai Visa regular.

The three of us shared anecdotes over the trials, tribulations and dangers of using the various Thai medical establishments, and as you can imagine, it dragged on into the small hours.

Despite Mobi’s being empty for an hour or so in the mid-evening, I am pleased to report that we had another good day’s trading.

If business keeps going like it has during the past two days, we will have no problems in surviving.

Only 23 Days…..

until the start of….

....the new EPL season…..

….which kicks off at 6.45 pm (local time) on Saturday, 16th August with the game at Old Trafford between Manu and Swansea…

....followed later by West Ham/Spurs at 9 pm

...and Arsenal/ C.Palace at 11.30 pm

All to be shown live at Mobi’s

"Singha John" Update

Is it possible?

Dare I hope?

Three whole days and counting…

Still no sign of the dreaded Singha John…

Maybe one more day and we can really start to believe that we may gave finally seen him off.

(Mind you, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when he comes face to face with Lek, my wife, who he repeatedly referred to as my f..ckng maid in my voice mail, which I have recorded and copied as a media file.)

"Win some lose some"

A couple of days back I reported the arrival of three more ladies to Mobi’s bar from the wilds of Issan.

I think someone must have read my comments that that not one of these ladies has ever worked in a place of entertainment before – in fact they had hardly been outside their villages in their entire lives – as last night a gentleman of certain advanced age took a shine to one of our older newbies and whisked her away from the temptations of the flesh before we could blink an eye.

It looks like he is making a permanent home for the lucky lady, as he has already put a ring on her finger, and all the indications are that he is a very decent gentleman, so we will shortly be wishing her a fond farewell.

As with all our ladies, we wish them the very best if they happen to find a nice gentleman who will take care them and their family. This is the good side of having a bar – sometimes you can actually change someone’s life for the better.

Of course we will always welcome her back into the Mobi fold if it doesn’t work out.

So our numbers have reduced by one, but we have three more on the way in early August…. Can’t seem to keep them away….

• Like 1

I do hope that Mobi's is not the kind of place that will require said gentleman to "buy her out" of the bar as is commonplace in these parts. This has always to me been a most distasteful practice. But if not then indeed, good luck to her, and him.

I knew this would provoke questions of this nature and the answer is no, we don't take any money from anyone who wishes to take one of our girls away and take care of them. It is an appalling practice and we want no part of it, I have already written to this affect in my blog some weeks ago.

The only thing we do is try to ensure that the arrangement is what it seems, and that the man is genuinely going to take good care.

As stated above, Mobi's wish them the best of happiness together.

• Like 2

"Win some lose some"

A couple of days back I reported the arrival of three more ladies to Mobi’s bar from the wilds of Issan.

I think someone must have read my comments that that not one of these ladies has ever worked in a place of entertainment before – in fact they had hardly been outside their villages in their entire lives – as last night a gentleman of certain advanced age took a shine to one of our older newbies and whisked her away from the temptations of the flesh before we could blink an eye.

It looks like he is making a permanent home for the lucky lady, as he has already put a ring on her finger, and all the indications are that he is a very decent gentleman, so we will shortly be wishing her a fond farewell.

As with all our ladies, we wish them the very best if they happen to find a nice gentleman who will take care them and their family. This is the good side of having a bar – sometimes you can actually change someone’s life for the better.

Of course we will always welcome her back into the Mobi fold if it doesn’t work out.

So our numbers have reduced by one, but we have three more on the way in early August…. Can’t seem to keep them away….

haha had to laugh at this another 1 falls in the trap, as the saying goes there no fool like an old fool.

Sent from my V370 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Win some lose some"

haha had to laugh at this another 1 falls in the trap, as the saying goes there no fool like an old fool.

Sent from my V370 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't be like that. I'm sure the gentleman was very pleased with his nights work. He went out for a quiet beer and instead of taking home one of Mobi's curries, he took home a shiny new wife instead. Splendid!

• Like 1

Mobi - you are certainly right in not asking for money from blokes whipping away your women. However, it might be an idea to make this clear to the blokes, and suggest that if they do tie the knot, they have the stag doo in your bar. You could even post up a "happy couple" picture board where your ex employees who have been married off get their picture on the wall with their Tirak - behind the pool table or something.

• Like 2

Mobi - you are certainly right in not asking for money from blokes whipping away your women. However, it might be an idea to make this clear to the blokes, and suggest that if they do tie the knot, they have the stag doo in your bar. You could even post up a "happy couple" picture board where your ex employees who have been married off get their picture on the wall with their Tirak - behind the pool table or something.

They are not his woman, they are his wifes woman. It's not his bar, remember.

The subject of men taking girls out of a bar and marrying them is a well-worn theme that has been debated on numerous occasions in the annals of Thai Visa.

There must have been tens of thousands of such relationships over the past 50 years or so.

Many fail, but a significant minority succeed - probably not too dissimilar to the percentage of western marriages as a whole.

While few can claim that such relationships are ones of everlasting, deep love; for many, the needs of both are met and the two parties are happy.

The man, often in the later stages of his life and not in the best of health, finds a companion and a carer and a home maker, and the woman, more often than not with children to care for from a previous marriage, finds a man who will provide her and her family with the basic needs of life.

Who are we to condemn these “marriages based in bars”? – let he who is without marital problems cast the first stone.

I suggest that we now consider this particular subject closed.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Well, hell--just branch out to a matchmaking service complete w/ various packages! Guarantee never a *sin sod, and you've got a gold mine, really. ;)

• Like 1

"Singha John" Update

Is it possible?

Dare I hope?

Maybe one more day and we can really start to believe that we may gave finally seen him off.

(Mind you, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when he comes face to face with Lek, my wife, who he repeatedly referred to as my f..ckng maid in my voice mail, which I have recorded and copied as a media file.)

Day four and still no sign of him.....

"Singha John" Update

Is it possible?

Dare I hope?

if you are really missing him I could sum up some TV members and we can try our best at a good impersonation

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

"Singha John" Update

Is it possible?

Dare I hope?

We are getting all a bit fixated aren't we? What's next? The "I wonder if we will see Singha John tomorrow" post?

I reckon your thread can be as lively and fun as Mobi's is most evenings. However, repeatedly mentioning this guy makes your thread as empty and depressing as your bar can be on a low-season afternoon. Certainly pops my balloon and it will be at least another 3 weeks before I can come back and decompress by the lakeside so keep with the positive vibes and good news and fun stuff.

• Like 1

"Singha John" Update

Is it possible?

Dare I hope?

We are getting all a bit fixated aren't we? What's next? The "I wonder if we will see Singha John tomorrow" post?

I reckon your thread can be as lively and fun as Mobi's is most evenings. However, repeatedly mentioning this guy makes your thread as empty and depressing as your bar can be on a low-season afternoon. Certainly pops my balloon and it will be at least another 3 weeks before I can come back and decompress by the lakeside so keep with the positive vibes and good news and fun stuff.

So sorry if the updates on SJ depress you, NL.sad.png

The man has been the bane of our existence since before the bar even opened and has caused us much distress without the slightest provocation or encouragement from our side.

I try to report the ‘good, the bad and the ugly’; the highs and lows in the daily life of Mobi’s, and as a matter of fact, in recent days we have had several people ask what the latest is on SJ so, I am satisfying their curiosity by providing regular updates.

If it doesn't do anything for you, then I apologise for unwittingly popping your balloon.

Others have come to the bar and made a joke about it all – obviously enjoying the ongoing saga and updates on TV -

so clearly many others find it all rather jolly.

Like our bar – I will never please everyone with what I write here but I do try to please the majority.

If Sj updates don't do it for you, how about the news that Mr German Ting Tong reappeared again yesterday afternoon, and when I arrived around 8 pm that evening, Lek and two of the girls were just arriving back at Mobi’s after having dropped Herr Ting Tong and his motorcycle back home again….Looks like it may become a regular service, maybe we should charge him?

Or how about today,which was looking pretty grim for a Friday, right up to 11.30 pm. When out of the blue, a single arrival started buying drinks for all the girls like there was no tomorrow, and by closing time he had single-handedly increased our night's taking by about 30 % and turned a poor to average day into a reasonably good one.

I won’t mention what the young ladies - all a whoopin’ and a yelling - did in return for this largess, but 'balloons' and 'popping' could spring to mind...

So life is never.. ever dull at Mobi’s….

At 1am, the girls all took off to Walking Street for their monthly knees up so here’s hoping they all return in one piece.

There! Is that more to your taste, NL?smile.png

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 1

Weekend Sport at Mobi’s

FORMULA ONE GP

From Budapest, Hungary

Qualifying: Sat, 26th July, 6.45 pm

Race: Sun, 27th July, 6.45 pm.

COMMONWEALTH GAMES

Live coverage, as and when appropriate.

Come and join the fun.

Last night we had our best night ever, (excluding our party night), and that was even before we had our late night ‘invasion’ as by that time we had already cashed up for the night.

It didn’t really seem that busy, but I guess the customers just kept coming and going all afternoon and evening, with some leaving after a couple of drinks, and others staying for an hour or so, a few even longer.

Anyway it all added up to a very good day’s trading and if we repeated that every day, then we would have no fears for the future of Mobi’s business.

The only sour note to an excellent evening was one customer who became angry over his bill, which he claimed was too high. This is the first time this has happened since our opening day, so after he slammed down the money and stormed out, I asked to see his bill chits.

The bills are all itemised with printed description and the time of each order. I checked through them. He arrived at 8.15 and left at around 11.30 pm. – 3 hours 15 minutes. During that time he had bought 7 beers and 4 lady’s drinks. That’s one beer every 28 minutes – not at all unreasonable.

He claimed he couldn’t have possibly have ordered that many beers, yet he was quite inebriated and had been mauling one of the girls all evening. We were all quite sure that the bill was correct.

Anyway, I hate this kind of thing as it will give us a bad reputation, even if we are in the right, which we certainly were on this particular occasion.

If this customer returns, I have kept the bill and I will show it to him when he is sober. If he still insists it is wrong I will offer him a refund.

But he probably won’t come back….

Then, as mentioned above, just as we closing the till for the day, a lone gentleman arrived and asked if we were closed.

‘Closed??? he asked.

We are never closed as long as there is a customer looking for a drink…’ I responded.

(A bit of a wild claim, but what the h..ck)

The customer was so pleased that he not only bought a drink for himself, but for the two remaining girls who were just on their way to bed…

Then he got on the phone and before we knew it another 3 to 4 cars arrived and disgorged their occupants, all looking for a drink.

The lights were turned off and we settled down to a nice little late night chat. Some more of Mobi’s girls reappeared from the upstairs room in their jim jams and the scene was set for a nice little ‘private party’.

What made it all the sweeter was that I actually knew some of the late-comers from my drinking days, three guys who I hadn’t seen for a very long time. They were of an age somewhat similar to my own, and we discussed the state of the bars, Pattaya, Thailand and life in general for the next couple of hours.

Back to today, Sunday

Don’t forget the Formula one Grand prix is being shown live starting at around 6.45.

Hamilton is starting from the back of the grid so will he do repeat of last week when he worked his way up to third place?

Unlikely, as I understand overtaking is at a premium.

So come along to Mobi’s and cheer your heroes and boo your villains….

Mobi’s Update

After spending the early morning at the cop shop and then welcoming our three newcomers to Mobi’s in the afternoon, we settled in for what I assumed would be a slow-ish Tuesday.

After all, Monday was a pretty slow day - although it was not in any way a disaster - but what with one thing or another, I wasn’t expecting too much.

But as a good bar-owner friend told me, it’s becoming almost impossible to predict day by day how a bar’s business will do. On some weeks, Thursday will be a ‘off day’, and the next week, it will be a Monday, and so on. Sometimes, weekends can be slow, and then the very next weekend the bar will do a roaring trade.

There is little rhyme or reason to it, and we just have to ‘ride’ with the highs and lows if we don’t want to go completely round the bend.

And so it was with yesterday – Tuesday. At no time yesterday could I describe the bar as being close to full, but the customers kept coming and going all evening - right up to closing time and beyond - and when we totted up our day’s takings, we had had one of best trading days ever!

It was quite remarkable….

Our three newbie distaff staff, all straight out of a Nong Khai village and all of whom had never been near any kind of place of entertainment in their lives, were soon in the thick of it, keeping our numerous customers happy.

Yesterday, Singha John was conspicuous by his absence, but I am not counting my chickens just yet awhile. We’ll see if he returns to the scene of his disgraceful behaviour, and if so, what he decides to do about it.

Will he let it go and sit quietly and continue in his quest to double the profits of Boon Rawd Brewery ?

Or will he seek revenge as he has threatened to do?

If he does, he may live to rue the day.

Anyway, it’s onwards and upwards, and what with one thing and another, I am starting to feel quietly confident about the future of Mobi’s.

Many of our new customers are paying return visits, and we are continuing to receive compliments on our three main priorities: Service, Music and Food.

On top of this, we have created a pleasant ambience, in which you can indulge inlively and intelligent conversation with like-minded drinkers.

Or you can simply sit with your partner or friend(s); or indeed come by yourself and watch “the world of Mobi’s go on around you.

For the football fans, The EPL is beckoning on the horizon, and there will more news on this soon, including a few special ‘fun’ promotions to whet your footballing and drinking appetites….

With the bar next door due for a total revamp and modernisation could be turning into a a good strip of bars in the area as Pattaya is extremely quite. All good stuff for the lake.

For the first half of Sunday evening, I was becoming convinced that it was a classic case of ‘after the Lord Mayor’s Show…..’

On Saturday, Mobi's had its best regular trading day since we opened, and on Sunday it looked like it might turn out to be one of our worst.

We only had three customers in to watch the Formula One race form Budapest, and even our loveable German, Mr ‘Ting Tong’ was conspicuous by his absence, after having promised to drop by to watch the race.

I actually think that many race enthusiasts had decided to give the Grand Prix a miss when they heard that Lewis Hamilton was once more starting from the back of the field after his car caught fire in the qualifying round.

The Budapest race circuit is not known for its ease of overtaking, and it was probably assumed that the race will be a forgone conclusion with Rosberg in pole position and winning yet again and his close rival, Hamilton, out of the points.

As it turned out, Hamilton almost performed the impossible by fighting his way up through the field to finish in a credible 3rd place, and Rosberg found himself behind Hamilton in 4th place and crucially, off the winners’ podium.

By general consensus it was one of the most exciting races for years, and those who decided to give it a miss, are probably regretting it.

There is now a four week break so hopefully the enthusiasts will be back in force for the second half of the season.

Mr Ting Tong arrived after the race was over, (he had watched it at a friend’s house), and as the evening wore on, more and more customers started to trickle in.

By 11 pm we had quite a crowd in to listen and watch a load of 80’s You-Tube videos, all of which were chosen by one of Mobi’s newest, and also one of our most generous customers.

So all was well that ended well and by the time we finally closed, Sunday’s takings had reached a very respectable total.

It really is a funny old world in the bar business, and I wonder what Monday may bring?

The only thing wrong with your place Mobi is the cops,a'waiting at the railway crossing with the breathalyser. Now I know it is infrequent the testing ,that is,but it is there and is one upsetting time to be pulled and all the consequences that goes with it

The only thing wrong with your place Mobi is the cops,a'waiting at the railway crossing with the breathalyser. Now I know it is infrequent the testing ,that is,but it is there and is one upsetting time to be pulled and all the consequences that goes with it

I reckon Mobi should invest in some good quality, Brazilian style redes or hammocks so that those with a bit more than the cops would like can take a snooze until it is safe. Failing that, if some of the girls have gone 'off premises' for the night, then the slightly sozzled can get a quick kip in their 'loom' before heading home.

post-35874-0-99816200-1406561692_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the place or Mobis. It is up to the individual to control his drinking and if they are concerned about driving (and they should be not just of getting caught) they pace their drinks and space them with softdrinks and food. I am sure Mobi is a good host and does not pour the beer down your throat. What you do is up to you not him.