Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

This probably will not last and is only tongue in cheek without meaning to hurt,

I guess with the moderators there you had the makings of a good band..one on drums, one on guitar and one how is good at blowing his own trumpet.,smile.png

• Like 2

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was another quiet day at Mobi’s – indeed for all of the Lake Mabprachan bars, as far as I can determine - but we seem to have ‘acquired the knack’ of drawing a few ‘waifs and strays’, often very late at night, who bolster Mobi’s coffers to a half way respectable level.

On Sunday, it was the Lady-boy gang, followed by a ‘gaggle’ of Moderators, and last night it was a bar owner or two, an amateur singer or two and a few more who always seem to drop by very late.

I confess that Mobi’s early days, when we could close more or less on the stroke of midnight have long gone, as we seem to be establishing ourselves as a late night drinking, food and music dive.

There is something a bit special about sitting in almost complete darkness, munching French fries and chicken nuggets, and listening to the music of yesteryear and reminiscing on our misspent youth.

These days I rarely crawl under my duvet before 2 a.m. – but I’m not complaining....

I'll pop in sometime Mobi.

You anywhere near the Fishermans?

If you're coming from Siam C Road end, we are well before Fishermans and the turning to the Golf course, Horsehoe point and the big 7/11.

We are just past Rendezvous, and are the last bar in a group of three bars facing the Lake.

If you are coming from the Pong side. we are past Fishermans, past the large 7/11 etc and just past Peacock Motel, which now has a large sign of a peacock outside.

The Bar coordinates are: 12.920558,100.960837 (Copy and paste these numbers into the 'Google Search' box and a map will appear showing Mobi's location.)

P.S. I am still looking for some kind soul who will show me how to put Mobi's on Google maps.sad.png

If you have your back to the lake, it is to the left of the gated community, (Siam Villa) and is the farthest one of the three bars. (on the corner of an unmade road).

There is a pretty large Mobi's sign, so you can't really miss it.

post-25991-0-00225200-1408448296_thumb.j

In Mobi Babble of August 3rd yoiu recounted a story of

"the true account of a perplexed Bangkok taxi driver who accepted a fare to take a male teenage customer to the outskirts of town one morning. After the boy had paid his fare and left, the driver remembered that the boy had left his luggage in the boot (trunk).

He stopped the car to check and discovered a dead man stuffed in a garbage bag, lying in the boot of his taxi.

He took the body to the police…."

I guess you paraphraseda newspaper article as I cannot find the original.

Have you seen or heard of any more about this?

If you're coming from Siam C Road end, we are well before Fishermans and the turning to the Golf course, Horsehoe point and the big 7/11.

We are just past Rendezvous, and are the last bar in a group of three bars facing the Lake.

If you are coming from the Pong side. we are past Fishermans, past the large 7/11 etc and just past Peacock Motel, which now has a large sign of a peacock outside.

The Bar coordinates are: 12.920558,100.960837 (Copy and paste these numbers into the 'Google Search' box and a map will appear showing Mobi's location.)

P.S. I am still looking for some kind soul who will show me how to put Mobi's on Google maps.sad.png

Try a google of "how to add a place to google maps" there is quite a detailed set of instructions on wikihow.com

Thanks for posting the coordinates as I will be down that way over the weekend and may drop in now I can let the GPS do the finding.

Cheers

Try a google of "how to add a place to google maps" there is quite a detailed set of instructions on wikihow.com

Thanks for posting the coordinates as I will be down that way over the weekend and may drop in now I can let the GPS do the finding.

Cheers

I thought Mobi was doing a great job of putting his place on the map.smile.png

If you have your back to the lake, it is to the left of the gated community, (Siam Villa) and is the farthest one of the three bars. (on the corner of an unmade road).

There is a pretty large Mobi's sign, so you can't really miss it.

attachicon.gifIMG_9547.JPG

For certain, you can't miss it if you drive along the road by the lake in the picture I posted!

In Mobi Babble of August 3rd yoiu recounted a story of

"the true account of a perplexed Bangkok taxi driver who accepted a fare to take a male teenage customer to the outskirts of town one morning. After the boy had paid his fare and left, the driver remembered that the boy had left his luggage in the boot (trunk).

He stopped the car to check and discovered a dead man stuffed in a garbage bag, lying in the boot of his taxi.

He took the body to the police…."

I guess you paraphraseda newspaper article as I cannot find the original.

Have you seen or heard of any more about this?

Although this wasn't the original source of my information and varies slightly in the detail.

With respect, this has nothing to do with my Bar Thread on Thai Visa.

In future, if you have any questions or comments relating to my blog, you can send me message or a query via the 'comments' box at the foot of each blog page.

Mobi

Edited by Rimmer
BP link removed

Cheers

Thanks. Been there and tried it , and also tried a number of other 'help' pages, including the Google places user manual. I can't even get started. I have a Google account but when I try to sign in for Google places I just get a page which is a map of south Asia and a box which asks me to find my business.

I just go round and round in circles and cannot seem to find the start page to enter my business details etc...

Has anyone in Thailand actually succeeded in putting their place on Google maps, and if so can they show me how to get started?

Mobi’s

Weekend of Sport

Mobi’s will showing Live EPL football matches over the weekend.

On Saturday, the early game is: Aston Villa v Newcastle which kicks off at 6.45 pm local time.

This is followed by: Chelsea v Leicester and Everton v Arsenal at 9 pm.

We can show the two 9 pm matches on different screens, and can also show other 9 pm matches as an alternates if there is any demand. (e.g Palace V West Ham).

On Sunday We will be showing Spurs v Stoke at 7.30pm and Sunderland v Manu at 10 pm.

Come and join the fun and don’t forget we have a substantial snack and full meal menu which now includes: French Fries, Hot Dogs, Spring Rolls, Beans on toast, Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Curry with rice, Steak Pie with chips, Spaghetti Bolognaise.

Sorry to "but in" on the thread Mobi , but please keep posted on the turnout for the football matches as I just don't get it.

Everybar and his dog promotes the fact their showing the EPL when the season comes around.

Does it really increase sales that much ??

Not being a footie follower I never have got why its so heavily pushed ?

Id sooner go to a place promoting NO football shown here , just a good night out :-).

And just an observation made of a mates bar here in Phuket .

He likes a game of backgammon in the afternoons so started asking a few friends if they fancied a game , hes getting a fair number of people everyday now during the mid afternoons whereas before virtually empty.

I know it may not work at your place but just putting out there as an idea.

Carry on with the posts , daily reading I think now for a few hundred peeps. I guess you should be asking george for a percent of the adsence revenue now , lol :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN

Sorry to "but in" on the thread Mobi , but please keep posted on the turnout for the football matches as I just don't get it.

Everybar and his dog promotes the fact their showing the EPL when the season comes around.

Id sooner go to a place promoting NO football shown here , just a good night out :-).

He likes a game of backgammon in the afternoons so started asking a few friends if they fancied a game , hes getting a fair number of people everyday now during the mid afternoons whereas before virtually empty.

Carry on with the posts , daily reading I think now for a few hundred peeps. I guess you should be asking george for a percent of the adsence revenue now , lol :-)

Mobi’s promotes the following:

· Friendly atmosphere with plenty of good female company (for those who want it)

· Reasonably priced snacks and meals.

· Good music (with no techno /hip hop), played at a sensible volume

· Live sport.

The jury is still out on whether or not it pays for us to show live sport (mainly F1 and EPL)

We have had crowds in on some occasions and on others, very few.

We will continue to keep it under review, and in the meantime we will continue to promote the sport along with all the other items mentioned above.

After paying a fairly substantial amount of money to CTH, I’d be crazy if I didn’t tell the folks what games I plan to show each week. With all due respect, if it annoys you, then just ignore it. Nobody is forcing you to click on my thread.

In my own bar hopping days, used to find it quite annoying that bars that showed sport didn't advertise which games they were showing....I am quite keen on sport, but I didn't always keep up to date on who was playing who and at what time, day etc. So you can't please everyone.

Also, if you are a football follower you will know that several matches kick off at the same time, so I am telling my customers which ones I plan to show.

I fully understand and appreciate that many people are not interested in the football, but of course we cannot cater for everyone.

As far as I am aware there are not that many places that show the EPL around the lake, and a few months back when I was asking for opinions on whether I should show the football, the overwhelming views were that I should.

I shall run the games for three months and then take stock.

As far as afternoon activities are concerned, thank you for your suggestion. It so happens that I have been thinking about a few things that may attract afternoon customers, and I will certainly add backgammon to that list.

Until recently it has been far too hot to attract a meaningful number of customers in the afternoon, but as the weather cools down I will certainly be exercising my brain on this.

· Friendly atmosphere with plenty of good female company (for those who want it)

· Live sport.

The jury is still out on whether or not it pays for us to show live sport (mainly F1 and EPL)

We will continue to keep it under review, and in the meantime we will continue to promote the sport along with all the other items mentioned above.

After paying a fairly substantial amount of money to CTH, I’d be crazy if I didn’t tell the folks what games I plan to show each week. With all due respect, if it annoys you, then just ignore it. Nobody is forcing you to click on my thread.

In my own bar hopping days, used to find it quite annoying that bars that showed sport didn't advertise which games they were showing....I am quite keen on sport, but I didn't always keep up to date on who was playing who and at what time, day etc. So you can't please everyone.

Also, if you are a football follower you will know that several matches kick off at the same time, so I am telling my customers which ones I plan to show.

I fully understand and appreciate that many people are not interested in the football, but of course we cannot cater for everyone.

As far as I am aware there are not that many places that show the EPL around the lake, and a few months back when I was asking for opinions on whether I should show the football, the overwhelming views were that I should.

As far as afternoon activities are concerned, thank you for your suggestion. It so happens that I have been thinking about a few things that may attract afternoon customers, and I will certainly add backgammon to that list.

Until recently it has been far too hot to attract a meaningful number of customers in the afternoon, but as the weather cools down I will certainly be exercising my brain on this.

Was just curious as to wether it was viable with the footy Mobi.

Of course you need to promote it and list the games.

Just wondering if the ROI was worth it thats all.

And as I mentioned before I do wish you all the best :-)

· Live sport.

Was just curious as to wether it was viable with the footy Mobi.

Of course you need to promote it and list the games.

Just wondering if the ROI was worth it thats all.

And as I mentioned before I do wish you all the best :-)

Thanks for the clarification and your concern for our ROI

Of course it goes without saying that if there is nobody watching the football (as happened with the late matches last Saturday and Sunday), we turn the sound track off and play music.

I have only just realised that Formula one is back this weekend.

I thought we had one more week to go before the Belgian Grand Prix, but once again it seems that Mobi’s dementia is slowly setting in.

This means there are potential clashes in our sports schedules between F1 and EPL.

So, just to clarify, we WILL show the F1 Qualifying On Saturday at 7 pm, provided there are customers who wish to see it.

This also means that, depending on demand, we will show the Aston V / Newcastle match on one screen (from 6.45 pm) and the F1 Qualifying on the other, (from 7pm).

Similarly on Sunday we will show the Belgian Grand Prix (at 7 pm) on one screen, and the Spurs/Stoke game (from 7.30 pm) on the other.

If all the customers wish to watch the race, or conversely, the EPL, then we’ll show a single event on both screens.

Clear as mud, methinks…..facepalm.gif

Mobi's Update

I am very pleased to report that despite the very loud music from the party at a nearby bar, last night saw an evening of excellent business – a welcome change from the somewhat lean days earlier in the week.

We had several ‘newbies’ in to watch the football and Formula One qualifying session, and, as stated above, for some reason the customers kept coming… and coming…and we didn’t close till just before 2 a.m…

Read more about it on today’s bog posting, which can be found here:

www.mobithailand.com

Please direct any comments on my blog posting to the blog itself, where there are facilities for you to write as much as you like, and provided it is not abusive or offensive, I will publish it for the world to read.

Tonight we are showing the Spurs/QPR game at 7.30 followed by Sunderland. Manu at 10 pm.

We will also be showing the Belgian Grand Prix live at 7 pm

Show some BASEBALL...not everyone on the Darkside likes watching cars drive around an oval 500 times or a bunch of floppers taking a whack at a rubber orb with their feet and heads for 90 minutes!

Vey true!. How about cricket England/India.?

As a Brit I've tried watching baseball on TV and, while I enjoy it, some of the rules escape me. I guess I should read up on them.

Mind you, I suspect cricket is a mystery to many Americans etc. How can you play for 5 days and have a drawn match for example.

Mobi's simply does not have the space or facilities for multi screen viewing.

i have opted for EPL and F1 as they are by far and away the most watched sports by expats in Thailand.

Furthermore some of these other sports are not easily available except by streaming and that will not work for a bar where customers may come and rely on the advertised sport being shown without disruption.

I would love to show cricket, but there is no transmission source and little demand for it.

The number of Americans who might be interested in baseball who have come into my bar in the past three months can be counted on the fingers of one hand. And and just in case anyone thinks they may come if i showed their sport, to my knowledge there aren't many Americans living on the Darkside.

I am trying to run a business and I must do what I must do to survive, and so far Football and F1 are the only viable sports to show, along with a bit of golf and tennis when it is in our time zone, not that anyone came to watch them....

When the CTH contract come up for renewal in October I will take a view as to whether we shall continue our current sports coverage as it is quite an expensive overhead for our humble little bar.

Edited by Mobi

Show some BASEBALL...not everyone on the Darkside likes watching cars drive around an oval 500 times or a bunch of floppers taking a whack at a rubber orb with their feet and heads for 90 minutes!

Vey true!. How about cricket England/India.?

As a Brit I've tried watching baseball on TV and, while I enjoy it, some of the rules escape me. I guess I should read up on them.

Mind you, I suspect cricket is a mystery to many Americans etc. How can you play for 5 days and have a drawn match for example.

Mobi's simply does not have the space or facilities for multi screen viewing.

And some real "football" NFL style; and U.S. Open tennis as well.

Mobi

My post was light-hearted about cricket - although I personally prefer it to EPL - probably because my team is in the Championship.

You are quite right about cricket not being on any Thai TV. I actually watch it on subscription with Star Sports on line -hooked up to my 40 inch TV. Dead cheap at the moment, only 6 quid (10 US) for the whole England/India test series and one dayers in HD. No ads either. I guess it's because the main audience in in India and maybe 10 US is not inexpensive. Dunno.

You are right though, footy is the staple diet in Pattaya and, as a business, you have to go with the flow. smile.png