Scorpions drummer in Dubai jail for 'insulting Islam': reports

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the bit where he insulted Islam's ?

You are insulting Islam if you are drunk in a public place in Dubai.

My mate done 4 days in a Dubai jail for being pissed in the airport. He jumped the que at check in and when he was told to go to the back of the que he told them to F off. Within a minute he was thrown to the floor, bound and carried off. It was only the fact that he had been brought up in Saudi as a kid, and spoke some Arabic to the judge and kissed ass big time he got let off.

• Like 1

My mate done 4 days in a Dubai jail for being pissed in the airport. He jumped the que at check in and when he was told to go to the back of the que he told them to F off. Within a minute he was thrown to the floor, bound and carried off. It was only the fact that he had been brought up in Saudi as a kid, and spoke some Arabic to the judge and kissed ass big time he got let off.

Whether they called it 'insulting Islam' or something else, 'sounds like getting the timeout was what he deserved.

The whole of the band deserves long sentences, if you ask me, simply for the catalogue of atrocities they unleashed on an unsuspecting music public throughout 10 years or more.

Krautrock should be a crime in itself, and I speak with the authority of someone whose favourite uncle had a single, but fatal flaw. He was forever playing an unspeakable mess called Ege Bamyasi by some knuckledragging brain donors on methedrine called Can. Their music was later used by the Stasi for interrogating particularly tough prisoners.

Actually, I'm joking -- krautrock shouldn't be a crime, merely treated like rabies, fine in its own country, but don't export it to mine.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm an older generation and am not familiar with Scorpion's music. But I'm a pretty good drummer. They can call me if they need a fill-in drummer. No likely, huh.

Strange! as for one, the Scorpions are an older generation band, and secondly, one of their tracks must be one of the most played foreign track in Thailand.

But then you are American.

I just turned 62. I started tuning out of popular music in the mid-70's. I stay abreast of a few things, but there's too much garbage to try to stay tuned to everything. I actually like Lady Gaga's 1st album, so I haven't completely been living in a hole in the ground. Maybe I've heard Scorpion and didn't know the name of the band doing the tune. I wish Thai music could get out of its 30 year sappy doldrums, but that's another topic. If you live in Thailand, you have no choice but to hear it blasted everywhere, even on overnight buses, when everyone is trying to snooze.

If you don't realize that there was a lot of excellent music during the 1980's, you are the one with a problem and I am almost your age. I am not sure about the 1990s as I was here. blink.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

The moral of the story, do not go to Dubai. A bunch of children.

Rubbish man, I've been there dozens of times, brilliant party scene and lots of girls.

Just don't mess with the locals, who by the way are generally very sociable and friendly.

And if you're dealing with security at the airport, you're mostly dealing with Algerians and Tunisians who frankly do not muck about. Most of the taxi drivers are bacon sarnies.

I remember going to the Ramada on Ascension Day, all the bars were shut and Mankhool Road was absolutely backed with brasses all done up to the nines, stopping cars in the road and stuff.

It was a hoot.

But one good reason to avoid Dubai is that it's so damned expensive these days.

Insulting a Muslim is not the same as insulting Islam.

I think anyone that goes on his own to Muslim Country is fool look what they do to Non Muslims

Think about this even Muslims want to leave and move to a Non Muslim country

They will move even to Israel if given the chance

So for you own safety they go

Rubbish man, I've been there dozens of times, brilliant party scene and lots of girls.

Just don't mess with the locals, who by the way are generally very sociable and friendly.

And if you're dealing with security at the airport, you're mostly dealing with Algerians and Tunisians who frankly do not muck about. Most of the taxi drivers are bacon sarnies.

I remember going to the Ramada on Ascension Day, all the bars were shut and Mankhool Road was absolutely backed with brasses all done up to the nines, stopping cars in the road and stuff.

It was a hoot.

When they put you in Jail you will be crying like the rest that get to jail

It was a hoot.

When they put you in Jail you will be crying like the rest that get to jail

I think you might be a bit thick.

Have I not been saying all along that it is simple to stay out of jail in Dubai: Don't be an a r s e.

Or accidentally step on a poppy seed.

• Like 1

I once gigged in a duo with a singer who would make song up on the spot. This was during Hippie daze. He was like a cross between Lenny Bruce and early Bob Dylan, with minutes-long run-on sentences. The audience would be alternately laughing and offended, because my friend was an equal-opportunity offender - the opposite of PC. I learned how shallow it is to be so readily offended. Currently, I can't be offended, and it makes my life smoother. That's why I grin when I hear about Muslims and blacks and Asians and nearly everyone else - get offended at the drop of a hat pin. Why do they encumber their lives so much?

I know it stems from pride and ego, but if they know that, and if they want to make their lives more pleasant, why don't they lessen their pride and ego?

Can they? Do they want to? My answer to both those questions: flat out; NO

Was in the UK not long back and there was a story in the news of a man in Scotland who was given a 1 year jail sentence for throwing a piece of bacon into a lake.

Reason, it was deemed to be an insult to Islam.

Someone else may know more about that than me, however it shows you dont have to be in an Islamic country to insult Islam.

Rubbish.

There is no law in Great Britain against throwing bacon in lakes. Otherwise a lot of Fishermen would be in jail by now.

It was on the radio and TV news.

Nothing to do with the throwing bacon , as I wrote it was supposed to be an insult to Islam, there would appear to be a law against that.

Was in the UK not long back and there was a story in the news of a man in Scotland who was given a 1 year jail sentence for throwing a piece of bacon into a lake.

Reason, it was deemed to be an insult to Islam.

Someone else may know more about that than me, however it shows you dont have to be in an Islamic country to insult Islam.

Rubbish.

There is no law in Great Britain against throwing bacon in lakes. Otherwise a lot of Fishermen would be in jail by now.

It was on the radio and TV news.

Nothing to do with the throwing bacon , as I wrote it was supposed to be an insult to Islam, there would appear to be a law against that.

You said it was for throwing a piece of bacon into a lake, now you're saying it wasn't.

Perhaps you could make your mind up.

Or perhaps this is the story to which you refer. No lakes mentioned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-24130079

Edited by Chicog

And the case of Professor Cyril Karabus, 78 year old oncologist, really takes the cake.

---------

Gotta love those UAE mandatory 4 year sentences for even a trace amount of substance picked up on their scans, poppy seeds, traveling with certain over the counter substances or just having something in your system ingested in another country.

-----------

9 months in a macimum security prison for a satirical on line posting. Dark age savage mfs messing with good people.

The UAE-owned daily newspaper, The National, has said Cassim and his co-defendants were accused of defaming the country's image abroad. Cassim's supporters said he was charged with endangering state security under a 2012 cybercrimes law that tightened penalties for challenging authorities.

He and seven others were convicted in December. Cassim was sentenced to one year in prison, a fine and deportation.

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., who advocated for Cassim's release, spoke to Cassim by phone after his arrival and welcomed him home. She said his return was "long overdue."

"This guy has been waiting nine months for doing nothing but posting a joke video," Klobuchar told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Thursday. "It was simply a parody video poking fun at teenagers in the suburbs."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/minn-man-released-after-9-months-uae-prison

----------

The United Arab Emirates has passed a law requiring mothers to breastfeed their children until they are two years old.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/07/uae-law-mothers-breastfeed-first-two-years

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

I'm not forgetting them. I'm saying they instigated the action against them by being pissed and arguing with UAE officials.

Once you get yourself in the shit they'll find a way of stitching you up.

Understand?

Ok, that came across as a bit aggressive, no?

My point was that even non-pissed, non-arguing people can be in very deep shit in the region when they haven't done 'shit'. smile.png

And the case of Professor Cyril Karabus, 78 year old oncologist, really takes the cake.

Forget the fact that he skipped the UAE when the original offence happened and steered clear of the place for years.

He obviously thought they'd forgotten about it.

Still, having seen him "work", I'm quite glad he won't be returning to the Gulf anytime soon. He won't be missed.

I stopped transiting through Dubai years ago and only fly directly to LOS now. All those incidents were documented by a UK newspaper, the Torygraph if memory serves...

The one consolidating factor was the spinelessness of the UK authorities in helping their citizens. Why go where you can be locked up on a whim? if you aren't there they can't mess with you.

If it were a non islamic country with the same attitude I wouldn't go there either. Must be getting old cos when young I routinely went to reel scary places just because.

• Like 2

Forget the fact that he skipped the UAE when the original offence happened and steered clear of the place for years.

Still, having seen him "work", I'm quite glad he won't be returning to the Gulf anytime soon. He won't be missed.

Skipped? Offense? What are you talking about?

He is a cancer doc that treated a 3 year old terminal leukemia patient while on a 6 week trip to UAE. He left because he was only there for 6 weeks and was supposed to leave. The 3 year old died from her leukemia. They tried him in abstantia without his knowledge . . .

You seen him work where? In South Africa? Hanging out at the South African Red Cross were you?

This guy pioneered cancer and rare blood disorder treatments. He worked at a Red Cross in South Africa and devoted his life to helping poor black children with cancer and rare blood disorders.

The fact that he was Jewish perhaps played a big role . . .

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 2

Strange isn't it ,in Muslim countrys we can do nothing right and they are always "outraged" by something or other,yet in the west they seem to do as they please and the govt and the PC crowd bend over backwards to appease them ,no matter what they say or do to outrage us.sad.png

• Like 2

Skipped? Offense? What are you talking about?

He is a cancer doc that treated a 3 year old terminal leukemia patient while on a 6 week trip to UAE. He left because he was only there for 6 weeks and was supposed to leave. The 3 year old died from her leukemia. They tried him in abstantia without his knowledge . . .

You seen him work where? In South Africa? Hanging out at the South African Red Cross were you?

This guy pioneered cancer and rare blood disorder treatments. He worked at a Red Cross in South Africa and devoted his life to helping poor black children with cancer and rare blood disorders.

The fact that he was Jewish perhaps played a big role . . .

This wasn't his last locum in the Gulf, just in the UAE....

Edited by Chicog

In the past I used to travel through the UAE quite regularly. I found it a rather enjoyable layover. Of course, I didn't arrive drunk, didn't get drunk while there and certainly didn't arrive at the airport drunk.

Would I take a holiday there? No. It's sad when people can't behave themselves for a several hours.

• Like 2

I stopped transiting through Dubai years ago and only fly directly to LOS now. All those incidents were documented by a UK newspaper, the Torygraph if memory serves...

The one consolidating factor was the spinelessness of the UK authorities in helping their citizens. Why go where you can be locked up on a whim? if you aren't there they can't mess with you.

If it were a non islamic country with the same attitude I wouldn't go there either. Must be getting old cos when young I routinely went to reel scary places just because.

One was even murdered by Dubai police and as usual the foreign office did squat all.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/04/14/uae.british.death/

One was even murdered by Dubai police and as usual the foreign office did squat all.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/04/14/uae.british.death/

Allegedly.