Visa restrictions force Thais to spend night at German airport

webfact

TG was rather generous in regard to the Sheraton. It is the most expensive of the 3 at the airport. I was just at the Hilton Garden next to the Hilton. 89 euro for a decent room and a peaceful view over the forest. It was as good as the BKK Novotel which costs more. this is the benefit of flying TG. Had it been a LCC , everyone would have been on their own.

FRA is an expensive airport to layover in, but oh how I love it. It's a wonderful airport. Clean and organized and friendly customs/immigration. No forms to fill and off you go. Took me 3 minutes to clear immigration. Hello- how long will you stay, well ok , have a nice stay all with a smile and I don't have an EU passport. For all the bad stick Germany gets, they have polite immigration and customs people. BKK could learn from that. If one was to be stranded, I suppose there are worst places to be than clean and safe FRA. At least they clean the lavs in FRA and it doesn't stink of piss like at LAX or CDG. I shudder what would have happened if my flight from FCO Rome would have caused a delay. Another dirty nasty airport.

Name dropper,an airport is an airport.

There is no real story here - pretty much standard practice in most countries I believe - but potentially one or two interesting questions could be raised:

1.) Wich class were the passengers taken to the Sheraton travelling? (If all 1st class it's doubtful their visas were all okay?) Were any 1st class people sleeping on plastic chairs designed to prevent laying down...?

2.) Perhaps the most alarming fact is that 60 passengers were accommodated on the next flight out - how empty are these flights?

Edited by ParadiseLost

Regarding the Sheraton , which seems to be attracting some cynicism, I had a cancelled TG flight back from Japan last year and all passengers were put up for the night (with a generous allowance) at the Sheraton Sapporo.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Only ever missed a flight once in my life and that was from Thailand back to the UK.Was going home from Phuket with a connecting flight at Don Mueang.The plane left on time but when it got to BKK it had to circle fort 30 mins because certain people were on an other plane and got priority to land,hence I was too late to board,all be it they loaded my luggage.They did put me up in a hotel for 8 hours then on a plane via Amsterdam.The icing on the cake was that my luggage was lost all thanks to VIP"s

I don't get it, visas are valid for a period ie one month. How can this happen based on a fee hours ?

single entry visa for shengen. they got stamped out when entering non-shengen departure zone of german airport. technically they left shengen. doesn't it work like that?

Yes you are correct

I believe it works like this...

Most visas issued by the German embassy in BKK are multiple, so you can enter several times. But the length (for tourist purposes) depends on the insurance you have handed in while applying for it. They usually grant a visa for the period covered by the insurance. I've see dozens of visas only for a specific number of days and I also know a lot of Thais that were not willing to pay an extra 100-200 THB to get a few more days extra coverage in case you have to extend your trip for what reason ever. And yes, they are strict in Germany and do not allow re-entry or do not extend if you don't have the mandatory coverage that covers the bill in case of damages to yourself or others.

A night in transit isn't nice but it's not really a hardship one can't bear for a few hours. And to all the complainers here... Isn't what the Germans did exactly what you are asking for in almost every topice here on TV. "Stick to the rules that are in place and no double standards" or whatever you call it?

Nothing to blame on the Germans, It's all depending on the airline. That's for sure!!

Read the more detailed article in the newspaper that is not allowed to be cited here.

The airline station manager talked to German immigration to allow the Thais to sleep in the hotel.

Immigration refused.

Narrow-minded arrogant officials.

I am happy to have left this country years before.

The news did not make it in the german language press.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Very amazing because there are law in Europe for protect air travelers and ensure there are good treatment during an incident like this. Normally visa or not in this case people will be relocate in hotel near airport. You can quote that only Thai stay in airport. A new case of racism from German authorize ?

Just one of those things. I had the same thing happen to me when in transit from Canada to Chile through Brazil. The connection

from Sao Palo to Santiago was cancelled. No flight for 24 hours, no visa for Brazil so we had to stay in the international transfer

area. A few thousand square feet. No local money for food, no blankets, no help. Just lay down on the floor to wait it out.

This was about 20 years ago so no internet and no help in connecting will our Santiago pick-up hotels etc.. Not happy but

no big deal, it all worked out we just arrived a day late, hungry and tired.

I bet the people who got refused re - entry got their visas through the travel agency where they booked their package tour. That's the easiest way.

The agency only applied for those days they watched the tulips in Amsterdam, climbed the Eiffel Tower and toured Oberpfaffenhofen and Old Heidelberg.

Note:

Next time, apply for an extra day, specially if you fly home on Thai International.

"Some of them were provided full room and board at Sheraton Airport Hotel."

Something tells me it was the staff in those rooms and not the passengers.

How nice of them.

Indeed. Thai would have been thrilled to have the 60 sleeping in chairs rather than at the Sheraton at the airline's expense. It's a pity though that common sense can't apply to visas...these people had shown that they had complied with the terms of their original visa. It wouldn't have been such a big deal to give them a transit visa overnight ( ...yes, Thailand is never flexible on such matters but that isn't the point)

I'm not german, but I come from europe, and I would rather live in a well organized society instead of this "joke" that is thailand...

they can change their mind according to their mood and (mostly) to their benefit in a blinking of an eye!

"pragmatism" or "the middle way" can be acceptable, but the truth is that in this country there is not even the seed of middle way

Well leave, you're not needed here.

If THE NATION would write 12 lines every time foreigners were harassed, fined and falsely accused of 'overstay' the print edition would have 12 more pages and their web portal would need bigger server...

Most visa issues in Thailand are because of foreigners ignorance or stupidy,or both.

I'm not german, but I come from europe, and I would rather live in a well organized society instead of this "joke" that is thailand...

they can change their mind according to their mood and (mostly) to their benefit in a blinking of an eye!

"pragmatism" or "the middle way" can be acceptable, but the truth is that in this country there is not even the seed of middle way

But you are still here,guess the joke is on you.

If visas are expired or not valid, there is no entry. Simple the Germans were doing there job. 1 night at the airport, not the end of the world now is it...

But if it had been at Swampy it would have felt like it. smile.png

It sucks when some other country outside Thailand (aka "the world") start to apply their Visa rules on the good, honest and faithful Thais.

Guess a lot of Thais will complain to their amulet provider once they arrive in Thailand.

This is exactly why I do not visit Germany.

Could top think of it, there isn't many country I can visit, apart from Peru, Brazil, and a few others.

then you were missing one of the most important countries in the world.........Maybe you are from Moldavia?

I don't get it, visas are valid for a period ie one month. How can this happen based on a fee hours ?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

This is a problem with Schengen visas. They are nor issued for a round period of a month etc but usually for the exact period of your itinerary. So they usually end on the very last day of your itinerary and return flight ticket with no margin left for errors. If embassies had a heart they would issue them for an extra day to cover flight delays or missed flights. Since they are so bloody minded, the only way to deal with them is to alter the date of your return flight and apply for an extra day or so. I imagine all these Thais were with tour groups, so the travel agent would have arranged the visas for them.

Rules are rules and despite inconveniences they need to be strictly adhered to.

Thats what makes a big difference between developed and underdeveloped countries.

I don't know how often it happens around the world but airports might consider providing capsule hotels for such cases.

This happened to me but this time I was flying back to the UK from Bangkok and the TG flight had a technical problem. All the passengers were put up at a very nice hotel near Don Meung. The following morning we were given breakfast in the hotel and then boarded the bus back to the airport for out flight which went via Delhi. For some reason on check out the staff checked every room and a lot of suitcases were opened in reception to retrieve the towels from the rooms before the passengers were allowed to board the bus. Never understood why hotel occupants feel they have a right to take the towels with them on departure.

For the commenter that said LAX Is bad, you might want to fly there now, new international is modern, star alliance lounge has showers, shops have high end brands. I wish all US gateway airport terminals follow LAX' example.

555555!!! Three months ago, it took me four and a half hours to clear Customs & Immigration at the new LAX-Delta terminal. Two hours after deplaning, we were still being held in the hallway preceding Immigration. After finally clearing Immigration took an additional one and a half hours to clear customs.

The facility may be new but the CBP staff are the same plodding functionaries.

For the commenter that said LAX Is bad, you might want to fly there now, new international is modern, star alliance lounge has showers, shops have high end brands. I wish all US gateway airport terminals follow LAX' example.

Good to hear that Philip but it has taken them FIVE YEARS to fix that terminal. Other countries build whole new airports in less time.