Are all Thai banks charging 180B foreign atm fee now?

The other day BBK bank atms were down so I went to Krung Thai, Siam CB, K bank atms and they all wanted to charge 180B for using an international visa atm debit card.

Are all Thai banks now charging 180B for foreign atm withdraws?

It appears that they all are moving in that direction. But they appear to be doing it piecemeal, machine by machine, probably a software update that is needed

Eventually AEON ATM's may be the only 150 THB machines available until they get even more greedy

Its all part of TAT/Government and Thai Banks welcome to the Land of the smiles advertisement ...

When all those happy tourists arrive for their joili hols (actually not so many now?)they are invited to withdraw their hard earned dosh from those nice ATMs and be charged a fee and that's ...before they even get a chance to spend any of their Moolah....

Gives them an idea of whats to come.....eh

Hence the "Land of the Smiles"...TATs /Gov and Banks (all smiling)....Kop Koon Jao...

• Like 1

It appears that they all are moving in that direction. But they appear to be doing it piecemeal, machine by machine, probably a software update that is needed

Eventually AEON ATM's may be the only 150 THB machines available until they get even more greedy

The AEON ATMs now charge 150 baht too. There is a another long thread on this same subject.

Edited by Groongthep

Its all part of TAT/Government and Thai Banks welcome to the Land of the smiles advertisement ...

When all those happy tourists arrive for their joili hols (actually not so many now?)they are invited to withdraw their hard earned dosh from those nice ATMs and be charged a fee and that's ...before they even get a chance to spend any of their Moolah....

Hence the "Land of the Smiles"...TATs /Gov and Banks (all smiling)....Kop Koon Jao...

Yes it's only Thai banks that try to make a profit when providing a service. Banks in other countries are run as charitable organizations.

BankFees1.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

The AEON ATMs now charge 150 baht too. There is a another long thread on this same subject.

Guess that is why I said : Eventually AEON ATM's may be the only 150 THB machines available

Check out your local banks at home. We have found one that in Maine that refunds usage fees like the 150Baht at AtMs plus no foreign exchange fee. Sometimes credit unions offer better benefits like this than regular banks. Just shop around in whatever city you live in.

I am discontinuing my use of Thai Atm's...except in emergencies.

If you can think ahead, you can cut down all these fees in half. I use XE to send my cash for two months. It goes to an account here, and no debit/credit card is required. It costs 22 usd for two months of cash. Thats 11 dollars per month. With Atm's, it is double that figure.

Also just signed up with pay pal....and will give that a try.

XE locks in the rate, so there are no surprises. Also, it is a good way for your wife...or fiancee(if you are crazy enough to send money)..to establish credit, as she has a good record of deposits from a foreign bank.

Worked for us. My gal was blacklisted, but now can get credit...based on a record of deposits.

Anyways..........up 2 u. Send money with discretion......and hopefully to yourself.

does anybody have info on the rate you get from an atm when using a foreign card in thai, the atm offers a rate a little bit lower than market exchange rate and then asks if you want to continue with that rate or decline that rate and proceed with a rate that isn't shown.???

The answer to the OPs question depends in part on whether you're using a MC or a VISA logo debit card.

Most/all of the Thai banks some months back began charging 180 baht when using MasterCards. But those same banks then kept the fee at 150 baht for VISA cards.

Now lately, some banks have also started charging 180 baht for VISA cards, based on member reports here...

But there are still at least a few Thai bank companies still charging 150 for VISA cards. AEON (which isn't a Thai bank, but a finance company) is still at 150 baht for VISA cards, and MC too I think.

Thai Military Bank is still at 150 baht for VISA cards, and I know because I did a TMB withdrawal last night. TMB also has the benefit of allowing up to 30,000 wd per transaction.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Check out your local banks at home. We have found one that in Maine that refunds usage fees like the 150Baht at AtMs plus no foreign exchange fee. Sometimes credit unions offer better benefits like this than regular banks. Just shop around in whatever city you live in.

. Charles Schwab returns fees...

Good practice to ask are u happy with the charge and if u want 10k bt they ask are u are you happy with what that represents in your 'own' currency.

My fix is Citibank Soi21 ..got an UK ACCOUNT take funds out (Thai bt) and pay into BB in Surin ..All transactions no charge ..

To Thonson

I always use an Amex card in Thailand and up to the end of March this year, I have never paid the ATM fee. The only bank that won't take an Amex card is the Siam.

When you say, use an AMEX card in Thailand, are you talking about an AMEX credit card, or some other variety?

If you're using a credit card to withdraw money from ATMs or even bank counter withdrawals, presumably you're getting hit with a cash advance fee and interest from AMEX, which also has a 2.75% foreign currency fee on most of their cards.

Not paying the Thai bank w/d fee is nice, but not if it costs you big-time with other fees and a lower exchange rate due to AMEX's foreign currency fee.

does anybody have info on the rate you get from an atm when using a foreign card in thai, the atm offers a rate a little bit lower than market exchange rate and then asks if you want to continue with that rate or decline that rate and proceed with a rate that isn't shown.???

Sounds like you are trying to use a Bank of Ayudhya (Krungsri) ATM that offers " Dynamic Conversion".

Short answer is don't pick it. It is designed to appeal to tourists that don't know any better and like to see the foreign currency amount that is deducted at the time of use (on shore rate) and not the higher rate (off shore) that is a better value

The only time I can see why you would want to take Dynamic Conversion is if your bank account balance is so low that you are afraid of bouncing previously written, but as of yet, un-cashed checks that would impact your balance or you want to try and take exact amount of your daily limit. IMHO poor reasons for taking a hit on exchange rates

If you can think ahead, you can cut down all these fees in half. I use XE to send my cash for two months. It goes to an account here, and no debit/credit card is required. It costs 22 usd for two months of cash. Thats 11 dollars per month. With Atm's, it is double that figure.

Also just signed up with pay pal....and will give that a try.

Paypal is a very un-economical way to send money into Thailand, mainly because they charge a 2+% fee on all funds transferred... 2.5% exactly if memory serves. And they do that mainly thru doing the currency exchange at a lower exchange rate than you'd get elsewhere.

For any Americans or Brits -- if you don't want to use Thai ATMs -- you'd be better off using BKK Bank's transfer services based out of New York and London, which have much lower sending fees than Paypal.

In my case, I can get by on 1 single 30K ATM pull per month in terms of my cash needs here. Used to do those fee-free at AEON. But since AEON went "dark," I now use TMB ATMs, no foreign currency fee VISA U.S. debit cards, and only cards that reimburse me for the 150 baht Thai ATM fee I get charged each month.

Net result, I get my funds at the VISA card network exchange rate, which is as good as you can get, and don't pay a single baht in fees to anyone (given that my Thai ATM fee(s) are reimbursed). It's a matter of having and using the right debit cards.... as opposed to the fee-heavy wrong ones.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The exchange rate from Thai Baht to your local currency is made by the International credit companies depends on your card's brand.

Either to US$ or Euro .

For example see here Visa Europe rate : http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

The best rate you get from bank counters, not ATMs. A couple of weeks ago I had to get money from ATM, the rate was 29.2 for a dollar. Then next week I went to the bank, the rate was 31.1! Try banks in shopping malls, keep hitting them until you find one which accepts credit card transactions. Just remember to bring your passport.

Edited by Timwin

The best rate you get from bank counters, not ATMs. A couple of weeks ago I had to get money from ATM, the rate was 29.2 for a dollar. Then next week I went to the bank, the rate was 31.1! Try banks in shopping malls, keep hitting them until you find one which accepts credit card transactions. Just remember to bring your passport.

I think your issue is more with the particular bank card you're using, and the likelihood it has a significant foreign currency fee when used in Thailand.

In terms of U.S. issued debit cards, the VISA and MC network exchange rates for ATM transactions have been above 32 baht to the dollar for some time time, certainly all the time for many weeks now.

If you were getting an exchange rate of 29 to the $ for a Thai bank ATM withdrawal anytime in recent weeks, it almost certainly would have been because of fees by your card issuing bank, or in the off chance you accepted a Dynamic Currency Conversion rate (which is where the ATM asks you to accept a withdrawal where it shows the amount in $s, not baht) on an ATM withdrawal using a MasterCard logo card.

The exchange rates you get with VISA and MC logo debit cards are the international exchange rates set each day by the VISA and MC networks, and those are pretty good rates in the marketplace, with VISA usually being better, and MC a bit worse.

But then, the Thai banks add on their 150 or 180 baht withdrawal fee on foreign cards. And, a lot of home country banks have foreign currency fees on foreign ATM withdrawals. BofA, for example, currently charges $5 plus 3% per withdrawal. If you make the mistake of using a card with really bad foreign use rates like that, then yes, your net/ending exchange rate could be very low -- but not because of the exchange rate itself.

when I come to Thailand for holidays I bring cash, yes know its risky but I don't drink much, stay safe and never had a problem. If I ever leave cash in the room its locked in a bag and AFTER the room has been cleaned for the day.

Yes it's only Thai banks that try to make a profit when providing a service. Banks in other countries are run as charitable organizations.

BankFees1.jpg

But charging 150-180 Baht is robbery .