President Park Hotel / Apartments...thumbs Up Or Down?

webworldly

Greetings!

Have any of you guys had experiences with the President Park Hotel / Serviced Apartments? I'm contemplating a stay there that could be several months.....and I'd sure appreciate any feedback from anyone who knows of the place.

Are the rooms quiet?

Is there a big difference between the Maple Tower and the other tower (I forget the other one's name)?

How's the gym? They sure do seem proud of it :o

How's the food? Anyone eat lunch or dinner there? Aside from alcohol, what would lunch or dinner in their restaurant cost (approximately)?

How's the internet speed in the rooms?

Is the hotel within walking distance of the Tops grocery store located at:

745 Sukhumvit Rd., North Klongton,

Wattana, Bangkok 10110

What would the "real" walking time be to get there? (the hotel said "2 minutes")

CHEERS!

D

I cant comment on prez park hotel itself as I have never stayed there. I live right behind it on Soi 13, which is closer to Tops than them. I have done the walk to Tops many many times and it is a whole lot longer than 2 minutes. I would say that if you walk briskly, it is like 15 minutes. It's too far a walk if youre lugging a lot of groceries I think. I will say that I very much like the area and recommend it. It is tip top. Foodland is about a 10 minute walk in the other direction. Of course, the great Sukhumvit stoop is only a 5-10 minute walk where you have a lot of action. Hats off to you for moving to a great spot and dont worry about the Tops, it is close enough. Oh and the hotel itself certainly look spiffy from the outside

Edited by Archie Bunker

I live right behind it

Hey Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhchie...... :o

Thank you for the reply. I noticed that you joined ThaiVisa about a year ago. How long have you been living in Bangkok? Can I ask what made you choose Bangkok over the other areas of Thailand that are more green, sandy, or mountainous?

CHEERS!

D

I stayed at the President Park a little less than a year ago. I was at the one on Sukhumvit Soi 24 though, which is different than the one you're talking about I believe. I would say it was ok. Rooms didn't look quite as nice as they do on the internet though, they are actually a bit older. I didn't use the internet in my room so I can't comment on that. Then the only food I ever ate there was the breakfast. Overall, it was a pretty good place to stay but it is surely not the 5 Star, high class place they make it look like on the internet.

I stayed at the President Park a little less than a year ago. I was at the one on Sukhumvit Soi 24 though, which is different than the one you're talking about I believe. I would say it was ok. Rooms didn't look quite as nice as they do on the internet though, they are actually a bit older. I didn't use the internet in my room so I can't comment on that. Then the only food I ever ate there was the breakfast. Overall, it was a pretty good place to stay but it is surely not the 5 Star, high class place they make it look like on the internet.

Interesting that you would say that. I've been wondering how it would compare to what their online presence suggests....because like you said, they make it look pretty darn good. Thank you for the info!

(I think we are indeed talking about the same place.....the address for the one I have been looking at online is....95 Sukhumvit Soi 24, Bangkok 10110)

I lived at Pres Park on Suk 24 for about 2 years, until about 2 years ago. I think it's a great place. Fantastic location, particularly if you're new to BKK. The 'Capitol Club' gym is really good, and my kids loved the swimming pool. There's a TOPS built underneath the Capital Club, so it is indeed a 2 minute walk.

They renovated a lot of the rooms a couple of years back. Try and get one of those.

So many things around that area, I don't think I ever ate 'in'!

If your employer is paying the rent, then go for it. I only moved on because it got a little expensive for me. Now I live in Bangkok Garden, on Narathiwat 24. That's not a serviced place but there's Oakwood next door which is serviced and does look very palatial indeed. 'Up to you' as someone around here once said.....

I lived at Pres Park on Suk 24 for about 2 years, until about 2 years ago. I think it's a great place. Fantastic location, particularly if you're new to BKK. The 'Capitol Club' gym is really good, and my kids loved the swimming pool. There's a TOPS built underneath the Capital Club, so it is indeed a 2 minute walk.

They renovated a lot of the rooms a couple of years back. Try and get one of those.

If your employer is paying the rent, then go for it. I only moved on because it got a little expensive for me. Now I live in Bangkok Garden, on Narathiwat 24. That's not a serviced place but there's Oakwood next door which is serviced and does look very palatial indeed. 'Up to you' as someone around here once said.....

Thank you, Cap'n :o .......the feedback on the gym helps a lot.

What I am mainly looking for is "efficiency" in my daily life (which is very much regimented/structured). This means I want to have everything I need all at the same place....all readily accessible...and all of sufficient quality/reliability.

**Studio or 1 bedroom with comfortable Queen-sized bed

**Full Service Gym (not just a "workout room")

**Reliable High Speed Internet in the unit

**Washer/Dryer for clothes in unit

**Grocery store with fresh veggies/meat within short walk

I really don't care how "upscale" a place is...but the thing is....every place I have found that meets these criteria ends up being (somewhat expectedly) on the upscale price side.

Any alternative places come to mind?

Thank you, Cap'n :o .......the feedback on the gym helps a lot.

What I am mainly looking for is "efficiency" in my daily life (which is very much regimented/structured). This means I want to have everything I need all at the same place....all readily accessible...and all of sufficient quality/reliability.

**Studio or 1 bedroom with comfortable Queen-sized bed

**Full Service Gym (not just a "workout room")

**Reliable High Speed Internet in the unit

**Washer/Dryer for clothes in unit

**Grocery store with fresh veggies/meat within short walk

I really don't care how "upscale" a place is...but the thing is....every place I have found that meets these criteria ends up being (somewhat expectedly) on the upscale price side.

Any alternative places come to mind?

You could easily get the studio or 1 bedroom at President Park. The gym I have no knowledge os but CC said it was nice. I am not sure if they offer high-speed internet in the rooms there or not. Having a washer/dryer in the units is something I have never seen in serviced apartments. If they have that its a new one on me. I would be surprised. There is a grocery store within walking distance to it. A nice one. The area is, in fact, very nice. Within walking distance is a McDonalds, Starbucks, Tops store etc etc. The area looks like a daytime hangout area for upper class Thais. Also, since you are talking about the same one (I thought you were talking about the other one), I can tell you they have a free tuk tuk service to the Emporium shopping mall on Sukhumvit. That means another store and the skytrain are well within reach.

A place I know of that has internet in the rooms is The Davis. This is right across the street from PP. I have heard nothing but good things about it but it isnt cheap either.

The Davis Bangkok

I live right behind it

Hey Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhchie...... :o

Thank you for the reply. I noticed that you joined ThaiVisa about a year ago. How long have you been living in Bangkok? Can I ask what made you choose Bangkok over the other areas of Thailand that are more green, sandy, or mountainous?

CHEERS!

D

Hey, how you doing there guy? Sorry for the confusion, I thought the place you were talking about was on soi 11 next to the grand prez. anyway, I chose to live in BKK cause I like the city. I tried for a short time to live elsewhere but it didn't work, I just did not feel comfortable. I guess I like congested areas or something for where I reside. Things I dont like are pollution and high cost of living. everything else is really great for me

Wow! This is such a great group of people here on ThaiVisa.

I'm not saying anything that you veterans don't already know.....but from the perspective of a board newbie (and soon to be neighbor in Bangkok...as of next week!).....I want you to know how much I appreciate all of the feedback I received.

Give me a bit of time to settle in.....and then if there's anything I can do to help anyone, let me know.

I did have a washer / dryer installed at PP. Two comments:

1. It was not there to start with, they installed it when they renovated my room mid-lease, so that again means you should avoid any rooms that have yet to be renovated.

This was quite a saving overall as electricity was included in the monthly rent, and the PP laundry service proved quite expensive. Better to wash it yourself and pay someone to iron it, or else just take it to a laundry service outside, although these can be a bit hit or miss.

2. I had one of the bigger units in PP, one bedroom, separate living area, about 80m sq, and I'm not sure that you could physically fit a washing machine into one of the studio apartments, which as I recall are about 50 - 55m.

As I said, I moved on from PP coz the rents for the bigger units had got a tad 'ambitious' imho. The Sukhumvit area is very popular with Japanese expats, and the PP serviced apartments are full of them. Their allowances will tend to be somewhat higher than many western companies will pay, which tends to make rents around that area command a premium.

Suk 24 is a great location for someone new to BKK to start. However, if your budget doesn't run to it, you may need to be flexible and be prepared to live a little distance away. As I wrote before, I suggest checking somewhere like Oakwood serviced apartments which are about a 15 minute taxi ride away down in Yannawa (toward the river). No agenda here, just that I drive past it twice a day and it looks great!

CC

Suk 24 is a great location for someone new to BKK to start. However, if your budget doesn't run to it, you may need to be flexible and be prepared to live a little distance away. As I wrote before, I suggest checking somewhere like Oakwood serviced apartments which are about a 15 minute taxi ride away down in Yannawa (toward the river). No agenda here, just that I drive past it twice a day and it looks great!

CC

Hey Cap'n :o

I saw the website for the Oakwood serviced apartments....and they do look sweeeeet! The rates they quote on their reservation form, however, are actually higher than the PP rates. Now that's not exactly an apples to apples comparison....since to make it fair one would have to compare the "best negotiated total rate" for whatever the duration of the stay would be. I didn't do that with Oakwood....so I can't speak to it. As for amenitites....the gym, the gym.....ohhhhh the gym. The PP one sure looks cool. :D

Heck...I may just run out of excuses not to exercise if it's as cool as it looks!

CHEERS!

D

I stayed at the Oakwood City Residence for two nights a year ago. I did have one of the cheaper rooms but overall I thought it was pretty poor. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable i have ever slept on. Perhaps there are more luxurious rooms than i was allocated however you won't get me staying there again.

I have also stayed in the President Park in Soi 24 which is the place being discussed here which is a lot nicer than Oakwood. No complaints really but nothing really special. I am not sure if they have a Tuk Tuk service to the skytrain perhaps someone else knows however it is the opposite end of the Soi and a little far to walk. Plenty of motorbikes though if you don't mind taking one. The capitol club is IMHO the finest fitness facility in Bangkok. Usage is complimentary if you are staying in President Park.

The President Solitaire (located in Soi 11) where i have stayed many months is IMHO the best of the 3. The service is really excellent and when i used to come to Bangkok regularly from the UK it was my number 1 accommodation choice. A Tuk Tuk shuttle operates regularly to the Skytrain and Soi 11 is a great location. Prices are similar to PP.

Hope this helps.