Investigation finds senior Immigration Police officers linked to visa scam

These Thai policemen found implicated in the scam should be immediately suspended, investigated, and tried publicly. If found guilty, they should be terminated immediately with no benefits no pension. That's it - the only way to stop police corruption is to make it too high risk for them to commit crimes and corrupted behavior.

I'm curious why you call this a "scam" - or maybe your reason is just rote repetition from the OP headline. But if you actually thought about it, why did you write "scam"?

You know, I am unaware of a country in the world that uses your model in this sort of situation. In the US, officials would be written up, moved sideways and never get another promotion - and then retire and take all the rest they had coming. From the first such scandal I found in the Bangkok embassy in ... well, many years ago, to the recent multi-million dollar visa scandal in Ho Chi Minh City, not a single visa person was suspended or tried. They were investigated, though. Then they were reprimanded with a serious letter. Have you heard of any upcoming trials in the fully exposed corruption gang inside the US government in the Afghanistan aid graft? Right. Neither have I.

In pretty well every army in the world, officers who make this type of error, usually euphamised as "violation of policy", are written up and that's the end of their promotion track, but virtually none is ever cashiered, let alone court martialed or turned over to civilian authorities. They follow the Thai tradition of transferring them to an inactive post, although in the west they save their faces by calling it something else.

Truth is that in Thailand, in the police force, this filthy business proceeds as it does worldwide.

• Like 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To tell the truth, I've used a similar service 13 years ago. My passport went to Penang, but it was about 11,000 Baht.

A guy named "Vince" was thye operator.

Yes that went on for a long time,the problem is your passport went out of the country for a while.This new one that has been going for 3 years that I have heard about is extension of 30 days on arrival,but I guess they could do anything.I know someone that did it stayed 3 month instead of 30 days.I have never spoke to him again when I found you it is a very naughty thing to do and he is a badman.I think his passport was away for 4 hours,but I am not sure I do not want to talk to him again

General practice at BIB Tea Money Unlimited is to retain 1/3 of the take and feed the upper echelons.

The only reason they got busted was because they weren't passing enough cash up the food chain and have gotten a smack on the hand as a warning to all other BIB to take your fair share and pass it on.

The only reason ANY corruption is busted in Thailand is if somebody tries to retain more than the "agreed" 30%. Their superiors get annoyed and bring out the wooden ruler.

Same applies to government spending/corruption. 30% corruption of government spending is the nationally agreed ratio, exceed it (which means you're taking some other mugs tea money), and suffer the consequences.

Of course you have proof of this?.........if so, post it or hand it in. If it's just hearsay....then your opinion is worth nothing.

Here you go my Dear.

From this article at http://thailawandpolicy.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/thailand%E2%80%99s-30-graft-tax/ that quotes the TFI (Thailand Federation of Industry) in the Bangkok Post.

"The Thai Federation of Industry (TFI) reports in the Bangkok Post that businesses can be asked to kick back up to 30% of contract values to state officials. This is based on anecdotal evidence, but you cant expect precise measurements on this sort of thing. And that number is not particularly surprising."

Or here's two exerts from a paper by Jumpon Phansumri written for The United Nations Asia and Far East Institute for the Prevention of Crime and the Treatment of Offenders (UNAFEI) called "Attacking the proceeds of Crime in Thailand". Actually a really interesting document that contains some very good information about the detail and level of corruption in the Kingdom. You will find the original references in the document. It can be read at http://www.unafei.or.jp/english/pdf/RS_No83/No83_12CC_Jumpon.pdf

"Corruption is one of the most serious crimes which can generate huge proceeds. In a 2009 survey by

Transparency International, Thailand ranked 84, with a Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) score of 3.4,

much behind some countries in the region. The proceeds of corruption are increasing. Kickback proceedsare currently estimated at around 30% of the governments project budget."

Corruption now up to 30% of project costs , Thailand Times, 17 July 2010 (visited 20 July 2010) , explaining that in a seminar on Thailands Investment

Environment Looking Forward the President of the Thai Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade, Dusit Nontanakorn,

revealed that corruption practices have increased to intolerable levels. The last decade saw bribes and corruption eat up, on

average, 3% of a projects total value, however, that figure has since jumped to a whopping 30%. Mr. Dusit said that if no action

is taken, bribery and corruption could well end-up costing up to between 50-80% of a projects cost.

Do feel free to contest my posts at any time. However, please DO have an ounce of reason before you do so as I find it tedious having to educate the ill-informed. coffee1.gif

No flies on you Gxsrnz. I like your style. Edited by watso63
  • Like 1

i hear the same happens in ********* ?

The visa comp ###### lents you money ,it's only 1 day on your account (instead of 3 months) and it will be approved by immigration ,

costs 20 000 to 30 000 bht .

Could be a lie or real?

What do you think?

I think that is about right but I think the fee is a bit lower.I do not really know I have just heard about it,
I was quoted 30,000 bht.

Much cheaper to do it legally, myself.

I do it all legally too, but I always have a wry smile when I see the tea money jar sitting on the desk at my Immigration Office. The regular officers do remember you and I find I get good service for my little contribution. I like the one chap that after processing everything does the 30 second stare at my passport before handing it back. Billy Hayes sweating at Istanbul Airport images pop into my head every time.

• Like 1

loads of people in pattaya are staying here on dodgy visa`s, I went to jontiem immigration about 1 yr ago and was offered at the desk by the guy a retirement visa for 20,000 bht not quietly or nothing just straight out in front of everyone, they must be making a fortune these people, I don't know how it goes on it`s all on computer so how come it doesn't flag up, and when doing it how can they pay 800,000 bht into your bank and draw it straight out, this gotta be <deleted>, but it still carries on day after day as usual in Thailand, and nowt gets done,lol, t.i.t

on another note , these falang based visa companies are doing it day in day out and making a fortune, so they are just as guilty, the going rate these days is 12,000bht, as a few friends have done it, so these visa companies charging 20-30k are making a bomb,

Why am I not surprised ... I actually know of someone who gets his extension based on retirement (money in the bank) extended each year for about 20,000Baht ... he doesn't have the 800,000 Baht ... says it cheaper than a flight back to the UK! I don't think that I will see much change in this area in the not-too immediate future!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully not whistling.gif

Is that you John? Haven't seen you for a while, come round sometime ................ wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i hear the same happens in ********* ?
The visa comp ###### lents you money ,it's only 1 day on your account (instead of 3 months) and it will be approved by immigration ,
costs 20 000 to 30 000 bht .
Could be a lie or real?
What do you think?

I think that is about right but I think the fee is a bit lower.I do not really know I have just heard about it,

I was quoted 30,000 bht.

Much cheaper to do it legally, myself.

15.000.- in Pattaya last time I asked, only need to open ac in Kasikorn Bank and they deposit 800.000 to your ac a few hours.

You can't say anything bad about Thai immigration here on Thaivisa.com. Blame those evil foreign media reporting these lies to make Thailand look bad.

Thai immigration never ever involved in corruption. Thai immigration always follow the law.

Thai immigration are very good. Foreigners are very bad. Got it?

Edited by Time Traveller

These Thai policemen found implicated in the scam should be immediately suspended, investigated, and tried publicly. If found guilty, they should be terminated immediately with no benefits no pension. That's it - the only way to stop police corruption is to make it too high risk for them to commit crimes and corrupted behavior.

Excuse me, please, who wants to stop police corruption?

• Like 1

Yes transferred. Why not all follow the rules. Then maybe we would see reason to follow same rules.

In CM I know a guy who got retirement visa for 25 grand and did not have any bank money.

...and I bet he will renew it every year no prob...

What happens to those with a visa obtained from said company - nothing. This is why foreigners will continue to use these services. So many corrupt farang here tempting these officers.

Off you go good little boy, go and polish your halo!

• Like 1

...While a barrister got 16 months in prison in the UK for lying and perverting the course of justice.

How sick is a country when the very worst offenders get to keep their pensions?!?

I honestly don't get this at all.

Forget agencies tackling corruption if corrupt cops aren't even losing their jobs! JMHO.

Why am I not surprised ... I actually know of someone who gets his extension based on retirement (money in the bank) extended each year for about 20,000Baht ... he doesn't have the 800,000 Baht ... says it cheaper than a flight back to the UK! I don't think that I will see much change in this area in the not-too immediate future!!!!!!!!!!

20, 000 baht! It's 12 grand round our way ... Someone is being well ripped off.

only 5000 here tip of the iceberg,

Got a phone number for me..? wai2.gif

We were at an immigration office in Chonburi the other week. We saw two Asian guy's at the back of a Porta cabin with a guy wearing an

immigration uniform. He was taking their passports from them.

Corruption at all levels. The sad thing is without it most of our lifestyles would change dramatically. A lot of people are complaining about the cost of living now. Just imagine what it would be if everyone earned a fair wage.

Jb1

There's something corrupt about an immigration officer handling a foreigners passport?

Pointless moaning about it guys.

It is how the country operates.

Always has and always will.

Im sure there are plenty on here who dont mind

paying some tea money to get things done.

Infact its about the only way to get things done.

jup and corruption affects/concerns everybody in thailand, for the bad but also for the good. if people wouldn't be getting around the law there would be a lot of (financial) issues/dramas. corruption often goes hand in hand with poverty. many thai may dislike corruption but in the end they are glad they can pay 150 under the table instead of 600 with receipt. in fact, getting around the rules/laws gives opportunities to little people who could otherwise never get things done.

as for visas and stuff. i always did things the official way but was offered "alternatives" without even having asked for it. a few years ago this woman came to my place offering "sickness visa" or "student visa". seemed she was sent over by my buddy who simply wanted to help as i was doing visa runs every 15 days. this is exactly how it goes in thailand: some problem (plobrèm) occurs -> the solution lies in a grey-zone (or tar-black) solution. the fact that you pay for it is normal since it's a service and nobody cares about the "ethics" as long as the problem disappears.

General practice at BIB Tea Money Unlimited is to retain 1/3 of the take and feed the upper echelons.

The only reason they got busted was because they weren't passing enough cash up the food chain and have gotten a smack on the hand as a warning to all other BIB to take your fair share and pass it on.

The only reason ANY corruption is busted in Thailand is if somebody tries to retain more than the "agreed" 30%. Their superiors get annoyed and bring out the wooden ruler.

Same applies to government spending/corruption. 30% corruption of government spending is the nationally agreed ratio, exceed it (which means you're taking some other mugs tea money), and suffer the consequences.

Of course you have proof of this?.........if so, post it or hand it in. If it's just hearsay....then your opinion is worth nothing.

Here you go my Dear.

From this article at http://thailawandpolicy.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/thailand%E2%80%99s-30-graft-tax/ that quotes the TFI (Thailand Federation of Industry) in the Bangkok Post.

"The Thai Federation of Industry (TFI) reports in the Bangkok Post that “businesses can be asked to kick back up to 30% of contract values to state officials”. This is based on anecdotal evidence, but you can’t expect precise measurements on this sort of thing. And that number is not particularly surprising."

Or here's two exerts from a paper by Jumpon Phansumri written for The United Nations Asia and Far East Institute for the Prevention of Crime and the Treatment of Offenders (UNAFEI) called "Attacking the proceeds of Crime in Thailand". Actually a really interesting document that contains some very good information about the detail and level of corruption in the Kingdom. You will find the original references in the document. It can be read at http://www.unafei.or.jp/english/pdf/RS_No83/No83_12CC_Jumpon.pdf

"Corruption is one of the most serious crimes which can generate huge proceeds. In a 2009 survey by

Transparency International, Thailand ranked 84, with a Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) score of 3.4,

much behind some countries in the region. The proceeds of corruption are increasing. Kickback proceedsare currently estimated at around 30% of the government’s project budget."

‘Corruption’ now up to 30% of project costs , Thailand Times, 17 July 2010 (visited 20 July 2010) , explaining that in a seminar on “Thailand’s Investment

Environment Looking Forward” the President of the Thai Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade, Dusit Nontanakorn,

revealed that corruption practices have increased to intolerable levels. The last decade saw bribes and corruption eat up, on

average, 3% of a project’s total value, however, that figure has since jumped to a whopping 30%. Mr. Dusit said that if no action

is taken, bribery and corruption could well end-up costing up to between 50-80% of a project’s cost.

Do feel free to contest my posts at any time. However, please DO have an ounce of reason before you do so as I find it tedious having to educate the ill-informed. coffee1.gif

Talking about educating the ill-informed, not to mention having "an ounce of reason". If you read what you posted this is not proof. It is a report based on anecdotal evidence, quote, "This is based on anecdotal evidence," , which means it is nothing more than unproven hearsay,

Here you go my Dear.

"The Thai Federation of Industry (TFI) reports in the Bangkok Post that businesses can be asked to kick back up to 30% of contract values to state officials. This is based on anecdotal evidence, but you cant expect precise measurements on this sort of thing. And that number is not particularly surprising."

much behind some countries in the region. The proceeds of corruption are increasing. Kickback proceedsare currently estimated at around 30% of the governments project budget."

Corruption now up to 30% of project costs , Thailand Times, 17 July 2010 (visited 20 July 2010) , explaining that in a seminar on Thailands Investment

Environment Looking Forward the President of the Thai Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade, Dusit Nontanakorn,

average, 3% of a projects total value, however, that figure has since jumped to a whopping 30%. Mr. Dusit said that if no action

is taken, bribery and corruption could well end-up costing up to between 50-80% of a projects cost.

No flies on you Gxsrnz. I like your style.

Covered in flies, both of you.

• Like 1

We were at an immigration office in Chonburi the other week. We saw two Asian guy's at the back of a Porta cabin with a guy wearing an

immigration uniform. He was taking their passports from them.

Corruption at all levels. The sad thing is without it most of our lifestyles would change dramatically. A lot of people are complaining about the cost of living now. Just imagine what it would be if everyone earned a fair wage.

Jb1

There's something corrupt about an immigration officer handling a foreigners passport?

Behind a porta cabin as opposed to inside it. What do you think?

Jb1

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Come on guys, it's only a bit of corruption.

Sure it might damage the kingdom's already dodgy reputation even further and potentially screw up the plans of thousands of Thai travellers hoping to go to Europe but it's not as if they sold unripe fruit or anything.

Investigate + find guilty = transfer,

In a civilized county (which omits Thailand), it would be...

Investigate + find guilty + suspension + prosecution + conviction = Fired, Fined, Jailed.

Yeah in a civilized country like America

YAAAA lets here it for the civilized countries

Investigate + pay bribe = do it time and time again

American laws are only to control and shear the sheep

There are no laws in civilized America for the rich or for

that mater any civilized western country. The rich and

the corrupt govt and the corrupt judicial system eat

the sheeple every day

Here you go my Dear.

"The Thai Federation of Industry (TFI) reports in the Bangkok Post that “businesses can be asked to kick back up to 30% of contract values to state officials”. This is based on anecdotal evidence, but you can’t expect precise measurements on this sort of thing. And that number is not particularly surprising."

much behind some countries in the region. The proceeds of corruption are increasing. Kickback proceedsare currently estimated at around 30% of the government’s project budget."

‘Corruption’ now up to 30% of project costs , Thailand Times, 17 July 2010 (visited 20 July 2010) , explaining that in a seminar on “Thailand’s Investment

Environment Looking Forward” the President of the Thai Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade, Dusit Nontanakorn,

average, 3% of a project’s total value, however, that figure has since jumped to a whopping 30%. Mr. Dusit said that if no action

is taken, bribery and corruption could well end-up costing up to between 50-80% of a project’s cost.

Talking about educating the ill-informed, not to mention having "an ounce of reason". If you read what you posted this is not proof. It is a report based on anecdotal evidence, quote, "This is based on anecdotal evidence," , which means it is nothing more than unproven hearsay,

Try reading the actual links for additional information. You are quoting one line in a small exert, so I wonder who is trying to skew the content of the multi page documents - you or me?

As for 'anecdotal', yes I'm sure the Thai Revenue Department has a question on the annual Tax Return form that asks all corrupt officialdom to declare their income from corruption.

Really, some people!

• Like 1