Scam Alert? Advice Needed

Escape4

Well as I said she has not asked anything yet, and it is hard to imagine a scenario where I would pay anything even if she asked. It's like making a donation to a bank!

So I am not considering giving anything. I am just wondering if it's a scam or not. In either case, I don't see how I lose a dime.

Next step is very likely that the first installment to the bank is due....xxx thousand Baht. If not payed by a certain date the bank will confiscate their house /land which was the basis of the fathers guaranty.

The family will be thrown out on the street and she will make you feel as if it is all up to you now to save her family from this horrible faith.

She will surely not be that stupid to ask a stranger she just met a month ago on the internet for 4000000 Baht - but an installment of let's say 40.000 baht is reasonable to make you feel you have just saved her entire family from the abyss!

Of course there is the other option - the story is true - although I doubt it very much 4 million is a large amount to guaranty for a teacher - and the girl decided to go on the internet and find a "good hearted" Farang who will help them.

In any way it is very "un-Thai" that somebody who knows you only for a short time would bring up a money issue especially if you have never met in person before!

100% scam I would say!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed a fair bit of negativity on this forum when it comes to dating sites. I think a few guys have never tried online dating and simply don't know what they're talking about; I think too that some of the more overt negativity stems from insecurity.

When I talk about insecurity, I'm referring to men who give themselves an ego boost by claiming they've got a "real" girl because they live in Thailand, speak Thai and understand the local culture. What these guys resent is the way in which dating sites level the playing field. They resent the fact that a young, decent-looking guy can set up a free account on a dating site and within minutes start chatting to girls half their wife's age and much better looking.

Put another way, the more extreme negativity directed at dating sites is coming from men with older and less attractive wives. If these men were married to supermodels, they would have zero interest in online dating sites.

My experience

I met a handful of girls in BKK thanks to my free account with Thaifriendly. Half were looking for money (one actually wanted me to buy her an iPhone); half were normal.

I found these girls by searching for women aged 28-32. I picked out the ones who I found attractive and were university educated. I filtered out the runts (few things in Thailand are more ridiculous than the sight of farangs in the company of five foot midgets); I also deleted girls with farang exes.

I met one girl who'd been chatting to a Canadian for a whole year. She'd been planning to fly to Canada to meet him because, as the said, he was a mechanic and didn't have much money. In the end she discovered he had another girl in Canada. I had a few dates with her: she was 37, pretty and intelligent. I eventually decided she was too old.

My current GF contacted me because I do the same job as her (she'd read my profile) and wanted help with a design language called CSS. Money was not part of the equation. Obviously it was pure luck that she was the right age (32) and a university-educated Schwarzkopf model, but I think luck almost always plays a part in finding the right person.

Your problem, Mr Berkshire, is that you're prone to generalizing about things you have no experience of. This said, your posts are at least free of bitterness, stupidity and envy.

Well isn't it strange that I know ladies using these sites that are already married to FARANGS................clap2.gif

One is in her late 50's and has met a farang in LOS who is already married to a Thai............clap2.gif

Yes, there are some scummy people in Thailand and it's inevitable that some of them will use dating sites. So what? Who in their right mind would wish to date a Thai woman in her late fifties?

I only ever searched for educated, middle class girls with decent jobs. My cut-off age was 32. A quick phone call or look at their Facebook page helped separate the wheat from the chaff; a couple of "real life" dates made it obvious who was greedy and who wasn't.

There's no rocket science here. Only fools get scammed or taken for a ride.

I've noticed a fair bit of negativity on this forum when it comes to dating sites. I think a few guys have never tried online dating and simply don't know what they're talking about; I think too that some of the more overt negativity stems from insecurity.

When I talk about insecurity, I'm referring to men who give themselves an ego boost by claiming they've got a "real" girl because they live in Thailand, speak Thai and understand the local culture. What these guys resent is the way in which dating sites level the playing field. They resent the fact that a young, decent-looking guy can set up a free account on a dating site and within minutes start chatting to girls half their wife's age and much better looking.

Put another way, the more extreme negativity directed at dating sites is coming from men with older and less attractive wives. If these men were married to supermodels, they would have zero interest in online dating sites.

My experience

I met a handful of girls in BKK thanks to my free account with Thaifriendly. Half were looking for money (one actually wanted me to buy her an iPhone); half were normal.

I found these girls by searching for women aged 28-32. I picked out the ones who I found attractive and were university educated. I filtered out the runts (few things in Thailand are more ridiculous than the sight of farangs in the company of five foot midgets); I also deleted girls with farang exes.

I met one girl who'd been chatting to a Canadian for a whole year. She'd been planning to fly to Canada to meet him because, as the said, he was a mechanic and didn't have much money. In the end she discovered he had another girl in Canada. I had a few dates with her: she was 37, pretty and intelligent. I eventually decided she was too old.

My current GF contacted me because I do the same job as her (she'd read my profile) and wanted help with a design language called CSS. Money was not part of the equation. Obviously it was pure luck that she was the right age (32) and a university-educated Schwarzkopf model, but I think luck almost always plays a part in finding the right person.

Your problem, Mr Berkshire, is that you're prone to generalizing about things you have no experience of. This said, your posts are at least free of bitterness, stupidity and envy.

Well isn't it strange that I know ladies using these sites that are already married to FARANGS................clap2.gif

One is in her late 50's and has met a farang in LOS who is already married to a Thai............clap2.gif

Yes, there are some scummy people in Thailand and it's inevitable that some of them will use dating sites. So what? Who in their right mind would wish to date a Thai woman in her late fifties?

I only ever searched for educated, middle class girls with decent jobs. My cut-off age was 32. A quick phone call or look at their Facebook page helped separate the wheat from the chaff; a couple of "real life" dates made it obvious who was greedy and who wasn't.

So why do you think a zillion Thai birds are "fishing" on the Net for farangs in the first place.?

• Like 1

I would agree that many Thais automatically assume that farangs are wealthy...although this is slowly changing as there are a good number of in-country farangs who are far from rich.

To get a better understanding of farang/Thai dating in the Kingdom, note the following:

a. Most Thai girls do not believe that money is THE MOST important thing in a mate.

b. Most Thai girls chasing farangs do believe that money is important, if not the most important, thing in a mate.

So Thai girl Cat. A are not going to be chasing farangs....which is not to say that they wouldn't date a good farang guy if given the opportunity. They're just not going to be chasing farangs on dating sites and other tourist hang-outs. The OP most likely has a Cat. B Thai girl. Sorry to all for generalizing, but just trying to keep it simple.

No. Once again you're wrong.

My experience

You're a big proponent of dating sites, I know. Don't you think it's a good idea to let the novice--especially one who lives overseas--be more aware of what might be going on in a good number of cases? You yourself put the figure at 50% scammers/wackos, although I myself think it's a little higher.

But since you believe that dating sites are the way to go, what do you think about the OP's new squeeze? For real or not? Don't say you don't have enough info as none of us do.

My experience

Who in there right mind would wish to date a Thai women in her late fifties.

I WOULD I AM 94

• Like 2

I would agree that many Thais automatically assume that farangs are wealthy...although this is slowly changing as there are a good number of in-country farangs who are far from rich.

To get a better understanding of farang/Thai dating in the Kingdom, note the following:

a. Most Thai girls do not believe that money is THE MOST important thing in a mate.

b. Most Thai girls chasing farangs do believe that money is important, if not the most important, thing in a mate.

So Thai girl Cat. A are not going to be chasing farangs....which is not to say that they wouldn't date a good farang guy if given the opportunity. They're just not going to be chasing farangs on dating sites and other tourist hang-outs. The OP most likely has a Cat. B Thai girl. Sorry to all for generalizing, but just trying to keep it simple.

My experience

You're a big proponent of dating sites, I know. Don't you think it's a good idea to let the novice--especially one who lives overseas--be more aware of what might be going on in a good number of cases? You yourself put the figure at 50% scammers/wackos, although I myself think it's a little higher.

But since you believe that dating sites are the way to go, what do you think about the OP's new squeeze? For real or not? Don't say you don't have enough info as none of us do.

I wouldn't describe myself as a proponent of dating sites; I view them as online tools which, when used dispassionately, can achieve the desired result. If you make full use of the available search options and adhere strictly to sensible criteria, you won't get scammed.

Key rules, of course, are:

1. Do not fall in love with girls you've never met

2. Do not EVER send money.

As for the OP's "new squeeze", she may or may not be a scammer, but she's someone who I would have blocked immediately. In addition to the key rules above, a sensible criteria should include:

1. She should be the correct age for you. Not too young; not too old.

2. No midgets.

3. University educated.

4. Good job.

5. Transparency. She should be willing to "friend" you on Facebook and share her photo albums. She should have nothing to hide.

6. Middle class family. Always ask about her parents' occupation.

7. Home and transport.

8. Good written and spoken English.

9. No farang exes. This point is very important.

10. No tattoos. Occasional drinking only. No smoking.

Edited by casualposter

My experience

I wouldn't describe myself as a proponent of dating sites; I view them as online tools which, when used dispassionately, can achieve the desired result. If you make full use of the available search options and adhere strictly to sensible criteria, you won't get scammed.

As for the OP's "new squeeze", she may or may not be a scammer, but she's someone who I would have blocked immediately. In addition to the key rules above, a sensible criteria should include:

2. No midgets.

3. University educated.

4. Good job.

5. Transparency. She should be willing to "friend" you on Facebook and share her photo albums. She should have nothing to hide.

7. Home and transport.

laugh.png , your going to be or are a hermit............laugh.png

In any case, it's best to take the ' buyer beware' approach.

Good to know you wouldn't even

give it any thought!

Friendly advice-

Don't fall hook, line, sinker, fisherman

and his boot!!

Sent from my LG-D505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2. No midgets.

3. University educated.

4. Good job.

7. Home and transport.

laugh.png , your going to be or are a hermit............laugh.png

I used Thaifriendly from January 2011 to August 2011.

I dated 4 girls who "satisfied" my criteria. They were okay, but two were greedy.

The best girl of all (my current GF) contacted me out of the blue in August 2011 to ask for help with a computer design language. That was obviously lucky, but life is full of strange twists and turns!

Hi all,

Ever since I told her a few days ago that it looks like if she helps her father, she is putting money in a black hole (without talking about me paying anything), she has continued talking to me and the subject has not re-emerged. Perhaps she is waiting for another time, or perhaps it’s not a scam and my argument ended the discussion on that front. If she was a scammer, there is a chance she would have moved on to someone else.

A few more comments:

“She will surely not be that stupid to ask a stranger she just met a month ago on the internet for 4000000 Baht - but an installment of let's say 40.000 baht is reasonable to make you feel you have just saved her entire family from the abyss!”

Yes that is possible. I will let you know if the request comes. There is no chance I pay anything without seeing a lot of hard evidence of this crazy loan guarantee.

“In any way it is very "un-Thai" that somebody who knows you only for a short time would bring up a money issue especially if you have never met in person before!”

Is it Thai unfriendly to bring it up but without asking for money? If it is something that bothers her, then she is simply telling me what is bothering her. Nothing wrong with that?

Some of you have asked more info about her to be in a better spot to give your opinion. I like casualposter’s list of criteria. She would score actually quite well on this:

CHECK. I am 37; she is 32.

2. No midgets.

CHECK. She is 5’5’’

3. University educated.

CHECK.

4. Good job.

CHECK.

CHECK. There are hundreds of pictures in there and she frequently adds more on a regular basis, in various situations.

CHECK.

7. Home and transport.

Partial check. She has a car. However she lives with her sister who owns the house.

Not sure what to answer here. I would definitely not say “good” English. But it seems in Thailand there are not many who have good English anyway. We can understand each other. I am not too bothered at the moment because if I move to Thailand I know I can learn Thai as I have learned another language before. And she can also improve her English with time. I do not know enough Thai people to judge, but perhaps her English is average compared to other people in Thailand.

Partial check. Her ex-husband is Thai. She has not had a boyfriend since. But she was upfront in telling me that she met two Farangs from an online website, but only once each and it did not click. So they are not really exes, but she has gone after Farangs before.

CHECK. CHECK. CHECK.

Edited by Escape4

My experience

Not so.

You can put whatever you like on a dating site profile therefore nullifying the integrity of the search results - age, gender, hobbies, educational qualifications. West Africans, Thai's, Philippinos, Eastern Europeans, Americans, Australians, British .............................. in fact there isn't a corner of the world immune from it. Never believe anything you see or read on the internet.

• Like 2

Maybe you can check out the ad at the bottom, it pops up with here with me, anyways, ironically, 555555!

Guess what it is??

It says something along the lines....

"sweet Asian mystique"

www.asiandates.com

Maybe that's what we all have been waiting for? A sign, that's where you will find your perfect chick, case closed!

555555, that's funny!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

All cases are different...my wife never ever even raised money issues with me when we were dating. It was a totally normal relationship where the parents financial situation would never have been raised by us. If anything she would never have asked me for money because she would have lost face. In her eyes she was well off and I was lucky to find her. Reality was in the middle I.e. We were both ok off and had room to grow.

Different story now of course..she controls all of our money as is frugal beyond belief. Happily for me that's good, because I was lazy about looking after money for the future. She understands very well that my money is her money so no benefit in giving it away.

What's right and wrong financially is up to you and your girlfriend. I don't think thai girls typically want to rip off farangs, though I think some farangs fail to understand family obligation.

Sure find some girls and they might look for some easy money from a farang looking for short time love..that's a two way street. Prove that you are willing to commit more and you will find a girl who also wants to commit.

I have worked in 4 other asian countries as well as here and the family obligation is similar in all countries.

Don't marry asian if you don't accept some responsibility for family. To be honest I think every relationship differs and trying use a forum to decide what's right is a mistake...use your brains mate

“Looks like the OP has already made up his mind what he is going to do. So go for it and learn the hard way”

Yes I decided I am going to wait and see. I do not think I can get scammed if I am suspicious from the start however. Maybe I will be proven wrong LOL

trying use a forum to decide what's right is a mistake...use your brains mate”

Sure… But I do not think reading about a variety of opinions and experiences from others can hurt.

“Looks like the OP has already made up his mind what he is going to do. So go for it and learn the hard way”

Yes I decided I am going to wait and see. I do not think I can get scammed if I am suspicious from the start however. Maybe I will be proven wrong LOL

trying use a forum to decide what's right is a mistake...use your brains mate”

Sure… But I do not think reading about a variety of opinions and experiences from others can hurt.

OMG - do you not understand the consensus of opinion here? Or do you have too much time on your hands and just love to read your own writings?