I Let A Thai Person Borrow Money From Me

sprocket

never,ever lend money here..if your expecting to get it back..i have lost almost 1 million balt..i am now a little short for money for my fathers retirement visa next month..and will have to over draft or borrow the money..most of the money was taken by my brother in-law..and about a dozen other people..( more family and friends ) my wife and i just booted my brother in law and his wife..his kids wanted to stay with us..i have been trying to get rid of this drunk, lazy, lieing ,loud mouth dead beat for almost a year now..finally..his oldest son is next on my list..26 years old..no job..drinks and gambles all the time..like father like son..we paid for his school to be a policeman..he failed the test 4 times now..other son and daughter..excellent..both in school..son in college..we pay for his school and his apartment..daughter 16 i just love looking at her a$$. we will help her with school..trying to get her to be a doctor..i don't mind paying for her medical school sometime in the future..she is a very good girl..and very bright.. i will not stop to help people here..but..i will never lend money to anyone here anymore..i had my fill..be thankful it was only 7,000 balt..you lent..i wish i could say that..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never,ever lend money here..if your expecting to get it back..i have lost almost 1 million balt..i am now a little short for money for my fathers retirement visa next month..and will have to over draft or borrow the money..most of the money was taken by my brother in-law..and about a dozen other people..( more family and friends ) my wife and i just booted my brother in law and his wife..his kids wanted to stay with us..i have been trying to get rid of this drunk, lazy, lieing ,loud mouth dead beat for almost a year now..finally..his oldest son is next on my list..26 years old..no job..drinks and gambles all the time..like father like son..we paid for his school to be a policeman..he failed the test 4 times now..other son and daughter..excellent..both in school..son in college..we pay for his school and his apartment..daughter 16 i just love looking at her a$$. we will help her with school..trying to get her to be a doctor..i don't mind paying for her medical school sometime in the future..she is a very good girl..and very bright.. i will not stop to help people here..but..i will never lend money to anyone here anymore..i had my fill..be thankful it was only 7,000 balt..you lent..i wish i could say that..

Im more worried about the bolded comment.

You should NEVER lend money to anyone unless you can trust them with your life, if you cant do that then dont lend the cash

I think there might be some misinterpretation of the meaning of this loan. For us farang, the loan is a specific cash favour meant to be repaid on time. For some Thais, the loan might actually mean the patronage you are dispensing in return for their loyalty/kreng jai.

Yes, we can't judge using Western standards in Thailand. :o

If you don't like being abrupt by just saying 'No' to loan requests, try saying that you would love to lend them some money but all your spare cash is tied up in investments overseas that you cannot tap at the moment.

The easiest way is of course no, but it's also a good idea to keep some 'soft no's' available as well for those in true dire straights (like in situations where one of their relatives, son, daughter, or mother/father is actually dying of something) or someone you don't want to offend comes knocking as well.

:o

If you don't like being abrupt by just saying 'No' to loan requests, try saying that you would love to lend them some money but all your spare cash is tied up in investments overseas that you cannot tap at the moment.

The easiest way is of course no, but it's also a good idea to keep some 'soft no's' available as well for those in true dire straights (like in situations where one of their relatives, son, daughter, or mother/father is actually dying of something) or someone you don't want to offend comes knocking as well.

:o

...or tell them you can't lend them the money because your family's buffalo just died and your grandmothers in the hospital and you had to send them your spare money.

his oldest son is next on my list..26 years old..no job..drinks and gambles all the time..like father like son..we paid for his school to be a policeman..he failed the test 4 times now

Sounds like he should pass with flying colours.

I hate lending money but always do. I'm being hit up constantly by friends in BKK (Farang) who are always broke. I have 1 friend who I lend to but he always pays me back. He's in to me for 5000 this month but has been as high as 20,000. I only lent him the 20,000 as his record for paying me back is good.

Last time though he borrowed 10,000. First month he could not pay as he unforseen biils. 2nd month he offered 5 and asked if he could wait another month to pay the other 5. End of the month he offered the 5 but kept 3. It's been dragging on and on but I'm getting it back but feeling used!

I say just say no! But will I follow my own advice? I will try! ha ha!