I'm Actually More Of A Rum Drinker

Michael W

Beer is OK, maybe when you're really thirsty or with a meal but I've never drunk it much for its own sake, though I've sampled a fair range of brews. For me, my poison of choice in recent years has settled on rum. When it was easily available, I maintained a stock of Cruzan:

cruzan%20estate%20dark%20rum.jpg

But now in Thailand, I've given up trying to find that and instead have taken the economically sensible alternative of the local spirit:

Similan3.jpg

Likely I'll hear from some saying how can you drink that <deleted>, but I've tried a handful of available rums and Similan remarkably stacks up well, at least to my taste. The price isn't bad either. I'm not one for a bender but there's nothing like the relaxation a 4 oz shot before bed gives me. That hazy, numbing, buzz drifts me right off to dreamland and the next day I wake up refreshed and clear headed without the slightest hangover.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that stuff tastes like kerosene, pal, only kerosene is better on the stomach
Says you. Like I said, I've drunk enough different rums, from US$6 to $30, to know what's good, at least to me, and if you think Similan tastes like kerosene then you plain don't know rum and are better off sticking to your Bud, if you can find it.

BTW, if you want kerosene, during my rum search I found this at the upscale Siam Paragon liquor store:

RonRioLightRum.jpg

that stuff tastes like kerosene, pal, only kerosene is better on the stomach
Says you. Like I said, I've drunk enough different rums, from US$6 to $30, to know what's good, at least to me, and if you think Similan tastes like kerosene then you plain don't know rum and are better off sticking to your Bud, if you can find it.

BTW, if you want kerosene, during my rum search I found this at the upscale Siam Paragon liquor store:

oh-oh...a hard blow at monochaser, challenging his utter knowledge of anything in the booze department.. :D

....keep standing behind the curtain and peep through the window.... :o

There's nothing like the relaxation a 4 oz shot before bed gives me. That hazy, numbing, buzz drifts me right off to dreamland and the next day I wake up refreshed and clear headed without the slightest hangover.

Ditto

My favourite poision is Sang Som. My missus compalins thats it's lo-so.

Like thats gonna stop me :o

Have been a fan of dark rums for a very long time.My favourite for years was Woods Old Navy.Much prefer to drink it neat.Tend to use anytime I feel a sore thoat/cold coming on.In Thailand have been generally disappointed with whats available,though some of the budget dark rums from the Phillippines make acceptable drinks with a mixer.I will drink a Mekong and coke occasionally when I'm out and about.

Why don't the Thai's make a dark rum?

There's nothing like the relaxation a 4 oz shot before bed gives me. That hazy, numbing, buzz drifts me right off to dreamland and the next day I wake up refreshed and clear headed without the slightest hangover.

Ditto

Like thats gonna stop me :o

Tell her it's either Sang Som or Lao Kao... :D

totster tcwozereeng.gif

... and the next day I wake up refreshed and clear headed without the slightest hangover.

You obviously don't drink enough... :o

totster tcwozereeng.gif

I advise reading the book Money #1. This will greatly help you to understand Thai women. This is my handbook I keep near me at all times

Hm... Hah.. Hahaha. !! Oh Stop it please.

Rum is not even remotely related to any product mentioned in this thread so far.

before I go around teaching, I´ll give you guys a chance to find out something good about rum,.

Brit mav has come the closest to naming a good one. Only the closest.

Chris. Central AMerican representative to thai visa.com

Maintaining and upholding tv.com´s reputation as a mature drinkers source of wealth and info.

You should team up with monochaser for his cruisade establishing high quality booze such as Bud light in Thialand. Maybe collect some signatures for your cause in front of 7/11s? :o

:D:D:D

i thought exactly the same....but not to forget this will only happen in front of "a(one)" 7-11 (next to nana hotel) as this seems to be the only Area this "crusader" hangs out.

rcm :D

Bacardi 151 - the good old days used to drink the stuff like it was water.

yep, me too a bottle a day back about 10 years ago. Wouldn't want to try this amounts today. But crazy days ... and crazy memories.

Jack & Coke, I can't get anything better. Last time I had rum, I've been sick for more than 24 hours, no more. I can't complain about booze in Thailand, as long as the Jack Daniels and Jim Beam can be found, I'm happy with it. :o

Ditto

Like thats gonna stop me

Same here. Similan is probably slightly smoother, made by the same company, someone told me it was supposed to be the export version of Sang Som, but not sure.

You should team up with monochaser for his cruisade establishing high quality booze such as Bud light in Thialand. Maybe collect some signatures for your cause in front of 7/11s? :o

i thought exactly the same....but not to forget this will only happen in front of "a(one)" 7-11 (next to nana hotel) as this seems to be the only Area this "crusader" hangs out.

what a splendit location. He could distribute some flyers saying "looking for decent Thai girl" at the same time.

what a splendit location. He could distribute some flyers saying "looking for decent Thai girl" at the same time.

That too, but it also explains why he sees everything so negative. Should have tried to visit the rest of Thailand too.

Back to the Rums....with Pussers Rum i recall the Island Jost van Dyke (opp.Tortola) a special Treatment is the "Painkiller" fabulous drink which is made with Pussers Rum . This drink surely gives memories...or no memories... :D

Hm... Hah.. Hahaha. !! Oh Stop it please.

Rum is not even remotely related to any product mentioned in this thread so far.

before I go around teaching, I´ll give you guys a chance to find out something good about rum,.

I guess this kind of post ought to be in a FAQ or guide somewhere if it isn't already, namely: As a general rule for any post that expresses an esthetic opinion or a particular taste invariably there will be at least one reply opining that his taste is uneducated or ill-informed.

I see this again and again here for some reason. Someone will say, "I like X." And as sure as the sun rises in the east along will come someone who will say, "X!?!? How in the world could you like X? X is the worst example of whatever it is you're talking about. It's nothing but a poor imitation. Anyone with half a clue would know it all started with Y which still remains far and away the best."

Geez, why not just lay it out on the table with a ruler next to it?

redrus..... redrus...... redrus......redrus..... :o

totster tcwozereeng.gif

^^^

I thought Pussers rum was supposed to be the real Navy rum?

No, you misheard. Navy personnel are pussy´s who drink bacardi rum (cos they can´t handle the reals stuff.

If your a Gin drinker then you know The Holy Grail in the LOS is finding which one ?

True Gin drinkers should only drink Gordon's Gin!

Gin & Tonic - Now there's a civilised tipple!

Gordon´s is alright, but imho bo,mbay saphire tops the chart followed by beefeater. Thereafter follows Gordon´s and then there is a long abyss before the fourth best (all the rest).

MichaelW, you are of course, correct, and I owe you an apology. Hereby.

For what consolation it is worth, I am a playful flamer, and endeavour not to go the depths of outright troll, nor argumentative pr1ck.

IMHO, in the world of rum, there is Zacapa, there is Flor de Caña, Appleton´s and Rum botran Añejo.

again, imo, everything else, I´ll happily drink too, but i classify as sangsom equivalents.

but then i´m a bit of a snob wannabe.

Gordon´s is alright, but imho bo,mbay saphire tops the chart followed by beefeater. Thereafter follows Gordon´s and then there is a long abyss before the fourth best (all the rest).

[...]

IMHO, in the world of rum, there is Zacapa, there is Flor de Caña, Appleton´s and Rum botran Añejo.

again, imo, everything else, I´ll happily drink too, but i classify as sangsom equivalents.

Interesting that your gin choices (where's the Tanqueray?) are mass market and fairly reasonably priced whereas you go for the more premium and, to me at least, more obscure (with the exception of Appleton's) rums. Not that any of this really matters, but here's the opinion of the Beverage Testing Institute for gin and rum.

[...]

Interesting that your gin choices (where's the Tanqueray?) are mass market and fairly reasonably priced whereas you go for the more premium and, to me at least, more obscure (with the exception of Appleton's) rums. Not that any of this really matters, but here's the opinion of the Beverage Testing Institute for gin and rum.

wow.....what a great website....I just missed the section with the job vacancies.... :o