Triple T (3BB) Fiber Optics in Hang Dong

Mekong Bob

Just switched from 3BB Premier cable service to the 3BB Fiber lines. Twice as fast, half the price!

One disappointment, however. The router provided by 3BB is wi-fi, but not a good one. My old broadband router worked fine with my smart phone throughout the house. This new fiber wi-fi router is weak. The installer told me I'll need a booster antenna if I want to use it with my phone, and he estimated the cost to be about two thousand baht - ouch!!!

3BB requires advance payment of 6 months for Farangs (1,200 X 6 = 7,200), plus a 2,000 baht deposit for the (inferior) modem. I'm heading for Pantip Plaza to compare prices of Fiber Wi-Fi modems - maybe return the 3BB modem (2,000 baht refund) and buy my own modem.

Please explain to a technically-challenged computer user -

I use Slingbox to stream tv programs to my computer. I see that picture quality is a function of bandwidth and streaming rate (Kbps). I stream at 1000-1200 Kbps and enjoy a nice, clear picture. The fiber connection streams at a slightly higher rate (1300 Kbps), despite the much higher speeds. I'm told that I cannot expect a better streaming rate here in Chiang Mai because 3BB and other providers limit the bandwidth, and thereby limit the streaming speed.

Are there ways to increase bandwidth?

Any tips on how to resolve the wi-fi in my house? Recommended products?

Thanks!

You should be able to connect your old router to the new modem and use that.

No button for turning off WiFi on the modem? Or else it should automaticly switch off WiFi when connecting the router

You should contact 3BB first to see if the Router can be returned AND if you can use an off-the-shelf FTTx router with their system. Something tells me the answer will be NO to both.

You should be able to connect your old router to the new modem and use that.

No button for turning off WiFi on the modem? Or else it should automaticly switch off WiFi when connecting the router

Connecting the old router to use as a WiFi Access Point is a good idea.

I'll assume that "No button to turn off WiFi" is referring to Disabling WiFi on the new FiberOptic Router so that the old Router would be the only active WiFi Radio. Many aDSL Routers can still be configured so you can use their multi- Ethernet Switch Ports and the WiFi Radio.

The old Router first needs to have it's "LAN" IP address changed (to use a different IP from that of the FTTx Router), Disable NAT and Disable DHCP server. Plug an Ethernet cable between the New and Old and it should work.

::: Note: "Should Work is no guarantee that it will work"

I got 3bb fiber too.. unfortunately you cant replace the modem. You can however put it in bridge mode and connect it to an other modem and let that modem do all the routing and stuff. There is one BUT here you need a router that has rj45 connector for imput of the signal.

You can login to the new router and turnoff wifi, too be honest you sound like you would be in over your head to try all this. I am not even sure they gave you the login for the router, or that you have all your passwords ready.

When they came here I made sure I got all of this as I knew i was getting a crap router. It did take a bit of technical knowledge to get everything right but now it does work.

I bought an expensive router because I got a big home network with up to 12 devices connected to it. RT-AC68U from Asus, not sure if its available here as I bought it on ebay.

You should contact 3BB first to see if the Router can be returned AND if you can use an off-the-shelf FTTx router with their system. Something tells me the answer will be NO to both.

Correct, none of the standard routers will do FTTx, i looked for it but could not find it. So you will have to use bridge mode.

Thank you all for the good advice.

Should I expect a better stream rate after changing from 3BB Premier to 3BB fiber?

Or does the faster download speed (5MB to 10MB) have no effect on the streaming rate?

Is the limiting factor the bandwidth provided by 3BB? How does one calculate bandwidth?

Thanks again.

You got 10mb fiber optic ? I thought the minimum was 30mb ? and yes you should get better quality. I have changed from 16/1 to 30/3 and i notice the difference. But there are still problems at times even with a good router.

You got 10mb fiber optic ? I thought the minimum was 30mb ? and yes you should get better quality. I have changed from 16/1 to 30/3 and i notice the difference. But there are still problems at times even with a good router.

you're right - it's 30/3. my mistake. you're getting better quality - what kind of bitrate streaming? Better than 1300 Kbps? (That seems to be my best.)

Does 3BB "cap" or "throttle" the stream? I notice my download speed of torrents is VERY fast.

you're right - it's 30/3. my mistake. you're getting better quality - what kind of bitrate streaming? Better than 1300 Kbps? (That seems to be my best.)

Does 3BB "cap" or "throttle" the stream? I notice my download speed of torrents is VERY fast.

They throttle between 17:00 and 23:00 after you downloaded a few GB. I cant tell you much about streaming as i usually download my stuff from newsgroups. The speeds i get there are pretty amazing.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Disappointed to see that my new 3BB Fiber (30/3) is not providing me with a smoother and better streaming rate than my 5/1 Premier package. I do get a decent picture from my Slingbox, but it's frequent stop and stutter (not smooth and steady) and tops out at about 800 Kbps streaming. Premier delivered 1200 Kbps streaming rate at a fairly steady and smooth rate. These rates were noted while no other downloads going on and various times of the day.

As I recall, 3BB told me the Premier was designed for users who stream from servers located outside Thailand, in USA. That sounded good.

I now suspect that 3BB has NOT included this feature in its Fiber package. Instead, I think 3BB has capped the streaming speed (bandwidth) from outside servers.

I will ask 3BB to acknowledge. Any users see the same problem?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Disappointed to see that my new 3BB Fiber (30/3) is not providing me with a smoother and better streaming rate than my 5/1 Premier package. I do get a decent picture from my Slingbox, but it's frequent stop and stutter (not smooth and steady) and tops out at about 800 Kbps streaming. Premier delivered 1200 Kbps streaming rate at a fairly steady and smooth rate. These rates were noted while no other downloads going on and various times of the day.

As I recall, 3BB told me the Premier was designed for users who stream from servers located outside Thailand, in USA. That sounded good.

I now suspect that 3BB has NOT included this feature in its Fiber package. Instead, I think 3BB has capped the streaming speed (bandwidth) from outside servers.

I still get full speeds.. did you change the modem already.. the old one is crap.. Though I cant garantee much. I do when i got the new modem it improved stuff.

I don't stream but use skype a lot and even then it sometimes isnt great.. but that could be on the other side too.

where do I find a good Wi-Fi Fiber Optic router for my 3BB Fiber (30/3) package in Chiang Mai?

The one I was provided by 3BB does not seem to be up to the task'

If you can, please tell me the shop, the model, the price. Many thanks!

I still get full speeds.. did you change the modem already.. the old one is crap.. Though I cant garantee much. I do when i got the new modem it improved stuff.

I don't stream but use skype a lot and even then it sometimes isnt great.. but that could be on the other side too.

Hi,

The problem is you need a router with a RJ45 plug for incoming signal. There are not many of those around so look carefully.

Also getting it to work does require some IT knowledge, you need the password of the old router and the passwords for your connection. You need to place your old router (the one of 3bb) in bridge mode and then put all the connection details in the new one.

Asus RT-AC68U is what i use but havent seen it for sale here I bought it on ebay its probably the best router out there and also expensive. I would look for a cheaper alternative. For me it works great but i connect up to 10 devices to it (few ipads mobiles 3 computers and some nash devices) It is far superior to the old one and you can even hook an usb drive to it and share it on the network. But the price tag is high. I paid around 9000 bt.