Abhisit says his reform roadmap does not breach Constitution

webfact

To be fair Abhisit & his TV fan club, how about we turn this proposal around & see how you feel about it;

Let's say Yingluck proposed this;

1. All Democrat MPs resign

2. The UDD & Nitirat appoint an interim PM to oversee the reform process

3. Well nothing really matters after Point 3

1. They already did

2. The PTP/UDD promised reform and delivered corruption instead

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the naysayers of the road map, what's the alternative? This government is going down for sure. And then the hired red thugs of Thaksin comes out and we're on the road to civil war. Rather then dismissing the plan outright, the fools in power should try to come to some sort of compromise.

Perhaps first, Abhisit and Suthep should sit down and try to come to some sort of compromise!

See Abhisits plan, is that they write a plan, and then get it voted on in a referendum, and none of that requires Yingluk to resign, and none of that requires his backer to be put in power, or control of the military.

He simply needs to sit down and write his plan, and then ask the government to submit it to a referendum. So why hasn't he? He says they can write a plan in 30 days, but we're 7 months into this coup attempt, why hasn't he written his plan yet? He says his plan will be agreed, yet even his plan to make a plan isn't agreed with his fellow coup leader! Neither can agree on the PM selection method!

Or better still, put the word 'manifesto' on the plan, and try to win the elections based on his plan.

You know elections? It's a form of referendum in which people vote on who will run the country? If he accepts the Referendum is valid, then the election process is also valid!

If the PTP accepts some of what Abhisit has proposed and the two manage to come to some sort of compromise and also get the military on board, Suthep can be ignored. What can he do if both the government AND the opposition come together? Right now, the Shinawatras are rejecting everything Abhisit is proposing.

Elections have FAILED this country, Why do people still talk till their blue about elections when even with those, this country has had years of strife? Something has to be done first before elections and that's what Abhisit is trying to do. If the Shinawatras don't want to compromise then they're just going to fall anyway. The courts will see to that. And then after that, we'll have real violence when the red thugs come out with their liter of gasoline.

Both the PRDC and the Red shirts are the extremists on both sides of the spectrum and wouldn't mind seeing the country burn. Smart people compromise.

Elections have worked, in that they consistently lead to the selection of a democratically elected government.

The failure at the heart of the current crisis is the equally consistent failure of the establishment to accept the decision of the electorate, and their constant attempts to thwart that decision.

Smart people accept the electorates decision.

You're right, a lot of people in this country won't accept whoever wins the elections. So after a couple of years of misgovernment, these people come out and there's all kinds of violence. This country has seen more violence than it has peace with elections.That's the heart of the problem. So yeah elections have 'worked'. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

To be fair Abhisit & his TV fan club, how about we turn this proposal around & see how you feel about it;

Well the BIG difference is that this government, and the PM in particular have broken the law by violating the constitution, and the PM in particular is about to lose her job.

Please explain to me where the democrats have violated the constitution and are about to be removed from power.

Do I want Suthep and his 'people's choice'? No. I want a truely neutral intrem government, that will work only on reforms and general caretaking.

However, if I had to choose between the Thaksin/PTP, Suthep or Abhisit for where we go next, I will take Abhisit's proposal any day.

Anyone got a better suggestion... speak up.

fine with that ...but.....they havnt said anything along those lines so we cannot even debate it on here..they are devoid of any ideas unless its about them.them.them..sad but true...the country is screaming out for reform but no..it really does show you what these people think about their own countrymen/women...they deserve the hatred they receive..then say what have i done wrong...pathetic.

Nothing drafted by the RNN and PDRC will be accepted by the people...since they do not include ALL the people in the process...it is ridiculous to even propose tripe like this...so what was the point...he knew that THIS point would be a deal breaker from the start...what happened to his statement that if nobody accepted his plan in a week he would step back?

Welll of course he is not going to step back so that too was just a ruse same as Suthep saying he's gonna quit after Final push number 36 ...and they have had 6 months or more to draft plans,reforms, ammendments/referendums...but we have yet to see them...and a referendum will surely be disputed and argued forever so the idea that any of this can be completed in the amount of time Abhisit suggests is plain naive.. and yet they say he is shrewd and well educated man...okay I accept that..at face value he is shrewd and well educated... so why in the world would a shrewd educated Oxford gentlemean propose something as porous as this...? Him posting on his FB page bolstering his plan as not in violation of the Constitution is just another tool of the shrewd well educated gentleman...Most Thai People will not and have not read the Constitution and won't in the future...so they follow and adore and take every tidbit he tosses at them for verbatim because he is the shrewd well educated gentleman from Oxford and he must know...right? And these are the "Well educated Bankokians!

He can stand with Suthep or stand alone and shout into the wind as long and hard as he can about reform...but until the people see what these reforms are and can understand their implications nothing will change The people need to understand the underlying issues, the patron-client relationship that is part of the fabric from which this accepted corruption stems, the duplicity of one group calling the other group out with corruption as the hammer when they are engaged in the same practice every day of their lives...It reqires an understanding of the following and it is common in history here that corruption is always the cry...from one side to another it is what they accuse each other of and are all guilty of.

http://aceproject.org/ero-en/regions/asia/TH/Corruption_in_Thailand.pdf/view

SIN NAM JAI which will take decades to shift away from. Along with all the other "reforms" . It is just too much work to happen in a short period of time..too many people to axe, to many people to educate,

My feeling about this entire 9 point hoax is it is just a disingenuous veil from a shrewd and well educated Oxford gentleman.

Have elections get a new government in there start reforms from the ground up and the top down and in 20 years there may have been an impact...

Edited by DirtFarmer

Well the BIG difference is that this government, and the PM in particular have broken the law by violating the constitution, and the PM in particular is about to lose her job.

Please explain to me where the democrats have violated the constitution and are about to be removed from power.

Do I want Suthep and his 'people's choice'? No. I want a truely neutral intrem government, that will work only on reforms and general caretaking.

However, if I had to choose between the Thaksin/PTP, Suthep or Abhisit for where we go next, I will take Abhisit's proposal any day.

Anyone got a better suggestion... speak up.

No for some reason, the democrats just modified the constitution by parliamentary vote.

Everyone wants it every way it appears.

While I won't argue that the former prime minister is a smart guy, I still would like someone familiar with the Thai constitution and without any political motivation to prove his proposal is or is not allowed under the current constitution. Right now I have just heard the yellows saying it is constitutional and the reds saying it isn't. I didn't see anything in the paper this morning other than the normal politically motivated drivel.

• Like 1

We need to be serious, let's stop to consider these proposals as acceptable in a democratic country.

The English newspapers from abroad did not react yet but, if you read French, have a look at this article.

http://www.lepetitjournal.com/bangkok/accueil/actualite/184212-crise-politique-thailande-abhisit-et-son-plan-de-sortie-de-crise-font-long-feu

Clearly Abisith's proposal is just another form of coup d'état. We should even not speak about that.

French have an interesting viewpoint (partial Google translation):

Abhisit, whose party did not win any national election since more than twenty years, made wholesale demands that his opponents drop the reins of government to let him and his friends to change the rules to their advantage before reshuffling cards to play again. A scenario reminiscent broadly of the overthrow of the government of Thaksin Shinawatra in a coup in 2006 which was followed by the appointment of a provisional government - indeed anti-Shinawatra - to oversee the writing - a Constituent Assembly anti-Shinawatra - and the implementation of the 2007 Constitution giving more power to judges and bureaucrats, which was validated by a referendum supervised by the military coup.

The article notes the quote by The Nation newspaper of Somsak Prisananantakul, one of the leading members of the Chart Thai Pattana Party, who suggested Abhisit to keep his feet on the ground, saying its unrealistic and unconstitutional proposals. An opinion echoed by several members of the majority party, Puea Thai, which still feel "cheeky dare" suggest that the Prime Minister, elected resigns to let members of the protest movement - most of which are within the scope of warrants judgment for charges such as the call for insurrection, inciting violence etc.. - make proposals for reform.

• Like 1

To the naysayers of the road map, what's the alternative? This government is going down for sure. And then the hired red thugs of Thaksin comes out and we're on the road to civil war. Rather then dismissing the plan outright, the fools in power should try to come to some sort of compromise.

Perhaps first, Abhisit and Suthep should sit down and try to come to some sort of compromise!

See Abhisits plan, is that they write a plan, and then get it voted on in a referendum, and none of that requires Yingluk to resign, and none of that requires his backer to be put in power, or control of the military.

He simply needs to sit down and write his plan, and then ask the government to submit it to a referendum. So why hasn't he? He says they can write a plan in 30 days, but we're 7 months into this coup attempt, why hasn't he written his plan yet? He says his plan will be agreed, yet even his plan to make a plan isn't agreed with his fellow coup leader! Neither can agree on the PM selection method!

Or better still, put the word 'manifesto' on the plan, and try to win the elections based on his plan.

You know elections? It's a form of referendum in which people vote on who will run the country? If he accepts the Referendum is valid, then the election process is also valid!

Do you not see value in separating the reform proposal into a separate referendum?

More of a chance for the reform to be considered separately.

As far as letting the current caretakers continue, I'd say why not. Sure they get some free campaigning being the government, but how much of an advantage is it really? (This is a question because I don't know the answer). In fact I think that should be a change to his "plan".

Do you not see value in separating the reform proposal into a separate referendum?

As far as letting the current caretakers continue, I'd say why not. Sure they get some free campaigning being the government, but how much of an advantage is it really? (This is a question because I don't know the answer). In fact I think that should be a change to his "plan".

You mean let the voter pick and choose policies Abhisit labels as 'reforms'?

[x] End Corruption

[x] Reduce auditing costs

[x] Low taxes

[x] High spending

More ploys to block democracy I think. The Parliament represents the people, their MPs vote on policies one-by-one, and suggest amendments which are also voted on. So if he had any genuine policies there is nothing stopping him proposing them even as an opposition party.

While I won't argue that the former prime minister is a smart guy, I still would like someone familiar with the Thai constitution and without any political motivation to prove his proposal is or is not allowed under the current constitution. Right now I have just heard the yellows saying it is constitutional and the reds saying it isn't. I didn't see anything in the paper this morning other than the normal politically motivated drivel.

The Abhisit proposal seems to be inconsistent with the constitution in a number of ways.

Perhaps the most obvious problem is Section 171 which requires that the PM be an elected MP, and be elected by the House of Representatives. Abhisit proposes a 'neutral' PM appointed by the Senate Speaker. Since the dissolution of the House there are currently no MPs and hence no House of Representatives but the Election Commission has scheduled elections for July. When and if they happen (and Abhisit has called for them to be postponed and the Democrats have threatened another boycott), a new PM can be elected by the new House of Representatives.

I hesitate to say this or any element of the proposal is unconstitutional since a number of the Constitutional Court's recent verdicts have interpreted the constitution in surprising ways.

Calling for the removal of office of Constitutional Court judges on the other hand is definitely not unconstitutional. It is covered under Sections 270-274. But this is ultimately decided by the Senate, not the government (and selection of judges is also out of the hands of the government).

And why can there not be an election in July? Because a minority group says so? A minority group chooses to take illegal acts to obstruct the democratic process?

A smart guy like Abhisit should know that true Democracy with reform would consist of:

- All parties can propose their intended reforms

- All parties campaign and preferably make promises to the Public (Maybe even put it in writing?) for the reforms they choose to support

- And then, there is a Democratic Election, where the PEOPLE, not a selected few, chooose which part/reforms they support.

This is Democracy.

• Like 2

You mean let the voter pick and choose policies Abhisit labels as 'reforms'?

[x] End Corruption

[x] Reduce auditing costs

[x] Low taxes

[x] High spending

More ploys to block democracy I think. The Parliament represents the people, their MPs vote on policies one-by-one, and suggest amendments which are also voted on. So if he had any genuine policies there is nothing stopping him proposing them even as an opposition party.

Total rubbish.

First of all with all your posts you don't seem to have even bothered to see what his plan is. See Sunday's Bangkok Post (link not allowed).

Any policies drafted by the opposition never even got a hearing in parliament. The Dems bill to tax property was dropped by PTP. On top of that there is the PTP speaker's task all during parliament to curtail time for DEmocrat MPs to be heard on many of the PTP bills. Even worse is the voting for absent members practiced by PTP. In other words parliament here is just not part of a functioning democracy.

One of Abhisit's 9 points is to hold a referendum - something PTP (Thaksin) doesn't like as it doesn't lend itself so much to vote buying and intimidation.

IMO there are 2 of the points which need adjusting. One is that a PTP-supporting group needs to be included in the reform proposing group. The second is to skip points 6, 7 & 8 if the referendum rejects the reform proposals.

Apart from an acute case of electionitis (we do as we like) do you have anything constructive to say?

• Like 2

I wish this failed politician would shut up - participate in an election and man-up if he loses!

he comes up with something my 12 year old nong sow could do better at - at least she knows you have to include everyone in the classroom if you want agreement not just the school BULLIES (i.e PDRC)

All these years in the red village has taken it's toll on your vision. Do you really believe that an election is the holy grail to democracy or would you be happy with N. Korea style democracy i.e. Kim got elected to, because that is what the reds are trying to install in Thailand as they have shown us many times, they have no idea what democracy is.

Oh dear, North Korea again!

Thailand elects its governments (at present) and they can be voted out by the electorate ( again at present).

Dissent, protest and a hostile press is tolerated.

The internet is accessible to everyone.

In North Korea, any deviation from the party line results in execution. Recently favoured methods have been mortar bombardment, packs of starving dogs and flamethrowers.

Thailand is nothing like North Korea. Even if the wildest enthusiasms of Suthep or Juthaporn are realised, it will still be nothing like North Korea.

About the only similarity is that both races have black hair!

As to heads of government, well Kim whatever is a chubby little minger who probably couldn't score in Soi Cowboy, whereas Yingluck is quite attractive!

As other posts have pointed out, the installation of an unelected 'government' is nothing more than a coup d'etat. And I find all these promises of reform quite amusing when the judicial branch of the government needs to be reformed the most, The courts will never allow any reform that affects their power. Is there any mechanism which allows for the calling of a Constitutional Convention in Thai law? That is what is really needed but it must involve elected representatives to draft a new Constitution or amendments to the Constitution to be presented to the people via a referendum.

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 1

Is this man for real. Did he really graduate from Oxford?

Yes he did. For real. Did Thaksin or Yingluck really graduate from the Uni's they claim they "graduated" from or got their Doctorate from? lol

If you think his proposals are unconstitutional, how is it NOT unconstitutional for PT's latest suggestion today that the CC Judge's all resign en masse to be replaced with PT affiliated Judge's?

Where does it state in the constitution that CC judge are not allowed to resign?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I wish this failed politician would shut up - participate in an election and man-up if he loses!

he comes up with something my 12 year old nong sow could do better at - at least she knows you have to include everyone in the classroom if you want agreement not just the school BULLIES (i.e PDRC)

All these years in the red village has taken it's toll on your vision. Do you really believe that an election is the holy grail to democracy or would you be happy with N. Korea style democracy i.e. Kim got elected to, because that is what the reds are trying to install in Thailand as they have shown us many times, they have no idea what democracy is.

in which country was it legal to speak out in public against the head of state again? I forget....

one man, one vote? People are allowed to vote for a party or a candidate that most aligns with their views. And legal protection for the minority so that they are not discriminated against. Did I get that all right?

Is this man for real. Did he really graduate from Oxford?

Yes he did. For real. Did Thaksin or Yingluck really graduate from the Uni's they claim they "graduated" from or got their Doctorate from? lol

If you think his proposals are unconstitutional, how is it NOT unconstitutional for PT's latest suggestion today that the CC Judge's all resign en masse to be replaced with PT affiliated Judge's?

Where does it state in the constitution that CC judge are not allowed to resign?

You obviously missed the point.

It is perfectly legal for CC Judges to resign, just as it is perfectly legal for the PM or MP's to resign, despite PT's erroneous (mis)interpretation of Constitutional Law.

Thaksin himself resigned as PM so there is at the very least a legal precedent for doing so if you want to get picky.

I've been away for a few days so I haven't seen the details of his proposals but looking at the OP it seems he's suggesting a neutral interim government not just the PDRC. That wouldn't work and I'm sure he knows that as well and I very much doubt he would even suggest it.

If the PTP accepts some of what Abhisit has proposed and the two manage to come to some sort of compromise and also get the military on board, Suthep can be ignored. What can he do if both the government AND the opposition come together? Right now, the Shinawatras are rejecting everything Abhisit is proposing.

Elections have FAILED this country, Why do people still talk till their blue about elections when even with those, this country has had years of strife? Something has to be done first before elections and that's what Abhisit is trying to do. If the Shinawatras don't want to compromise then they're just going to fall anyway. The courts will see to that. And then after that, we'll have real violence when the red thugs come out with their liter of gasoline.

Both the PRDC and the Red shirts are the extremists on both sides of the spectrum and wouldn't mind seeing the country burn. Smart people compromise.

Lets have a little flashback shall we.

The year was 2010, Abhisit had massacred a bunch of reds, and cancelled his promised elections. Instead he launched a 5 point reconcilliation plan....

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejachiva has launched a “reconciliation plan” part of which is the reform of Thailand. Mister Anand Punyarachun and Mister Prawes Wasee accepted to be chairman of the Reform Steering Committee and chairman of the Committee on Reform Assembly respectively.

Ahh, he had a vague plan to perform reforms for reconcilliation. The usual coup connected names pop up again. The NGOs complained:

1) Thailand Reform Plan is a ploy the government uses to divert public attention from the demand for fact finding and responsibility for the deaths, disappearances, and injuries from its “space consolidation” as well as from its violent and human rights abusing measures. The government at the same time hunts down and crushes the Red Shirts and performs several psychological operations. As such, Thailand Reform Plan is aimed to buy time for the government not to return power to the people via electoral process.

A ploy you say, surely Abhisit wouldn't...

3) The participation in Thailand Reform Plan of some groups of people in the name of “people’s sector” and “social sector” is distortion. It misled the society that most of those in “people’s sector” agree with Thailand Reform Plan

And they had groups called 'peoples sector' pretending to be representing the people. Wow that does seem familiar. What he did was whitewash the crime, called the dead protestors terrorists, censor the press and gave them time to appoint partisan appointees into the independent agencies. Then they headed for elections thinking they had it rigged enough, only to have Yingluk win a convincing majority.

The year was 2010, Abhisit had massacred a bunch of reds,

I'll try to find time to read the rest of you post but this line suggests it won't be based on reality as is often the case with your posts.

Hold elections and respect the result.

Why should democracy compromise with tyrants?

It's all rather simple really.

All of the Dems...please respond.

Is Democracy.. a system that is held hostage by a minority?

Isn't a good example of Democracy the following:

- All political groups voice their ideas/positions on reform

- Political groups campaign to the public

- Then, the People choose which candidate/party best represent the citizen?

Why do the Dems think they can re-structure Democracy? They allow Suthep to hold a country hostage by voiding elections..and insist that their minority voices get goverment "Their way" or no elections.

Crazy.

Reform? how do you create reform when you have removed all elected leaders?

Democracy may need reform, but first , you need elected officials.

Truth is, Dems don't care about reform. This is just the Dems way of allowing the minority to take more control/power.

I've been away for a few days so I haven't seen the details of his proposals but looking at the OP it seems he's suggesting a neutral interim government not just the PDRC. That wouldn't work and I'm sure he knows that as well and I very much doubt he would even suggest it.

Other than a time frame, details are thin on the ground

Hold elections and respect the result.

Why should democracy compromise with tyrants?

It's all rather simple really.

What a concept..but, when you are a minority party with 30 yrs history of losing....you need to change the issue to gain power.

- You create "Reform" as a slogan

- Use city people to shut down goverment.

- Hold the nation ransom until the minority gets their way

- Change the rules for one's benefit