Celebrities boycott Brunei-owned hotels over sharia law

webfact

Reading the comments here I see many of the members don't really know what Sharia law is.

AND, if it is real Sharia it is only applied to Muslims who, by the fact of calling themselves Muslim, accept it.

That said there is a lot of practice going around certain parts of the world that is being called Sharia which isn't even close to real Sharia law.

It will be interesting to see if real Sharia will be implemented or something of a more political and extremist nature.

I can see a certain number of "celebrities" calling for a boycott are lesbian/homosexual. Although these acts can be punished with death in real Sharia it is only if the act is displayed in public can anyone even be accused of a crime. In real Sharia no one has the right to invade a private dwelling so there is no way to check if anyone is homosexual or lesbian and the same applies about extra-marital sex. In other words it is only a crime if it is done in public.

I hope they don't do a perverted form as is the case in parts of Iran or the Sudan.

Is this a joke? Are you trying to explain why Sharia law is OK? <deleted>?

I guess you are either intoxicated or don't know how to read yet I intentionally kept my vocabulary at a primary school level. Now do all the <deletes> you want but please get some education.

Are you really just trying to pick a fight because you like fighting as many members here apparently do or can you really not understand what I wrote?

I can read what you have written, thanks for keeping it to primary school level. That makes it much easier to understand the need you felt to justify or explain a system so totally devoid of any form of humanistic element, so corrupt in its teachings that I don't know where to begin. So basically, because a lesbian advocates keeping clear of this mad monarchs investments, that makes it unworthy of consideration. But not to worry about being stoned to death if you are a lesbian, just keep it behind a closed door and you'll be fine. You really do believe in fairy tales eh?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the Sultan will not sleep tonight worrying about the loss of revenue.

I think he might if international sanctions are put on his oil....

Wishful thinking. Japan buys about 90% of Brunei's LNG exports and the oil goes to Indonesia, India and Korea and a small amount to Australia. Korea purchases between 60% and 70% of the oil in any given year. Neither Korea, nor Japan could care less about sharia law or human rights in Brunei. Both Korea and India figured heavily in the busting of oil sanctions imposed upon Iran, so I doubt they would give their purchases a second thought in this case. It will be interesting to see how Dutch Shell and French Elf as the primary investors in Brunei's energy sector will spin this situation.

• Like 1

It is their country. They are free to exercise whatever religion they want. However backwards it may seem to normal people. Well done to the Sultan and his subjects. Enjoy !

Coma. whistling.gif

Now we know what colour shoes the sultan is wearing.......slurp! thumbsup.gif

It is their country. They are free to exercise whatever religion they want. However backwards it may seem to normal people. Well done to the Sultan and his subjects. Enjoy !

Coma. whistling.gif

Sure. Just try and find a church or a temple. You won't find any since they are forbidden in practice. Brunei is the only country that demands visitors state their religion upon entry, isn't it? Reassuring? Nope.

Edited by geriatrickid

you are so brainwashed by western propaganda machine so just can't accept the idea of non-interference in independent nation's affairs

amazing!

you and your fake celebrities, like Sharon Osbourne for example, should just mind your own business, is it so hard to do?

Oh yea, Brunei is a leader in religious tolerance.

who told you religious tolerance is good? you favorite TV-tolerasts? fine, cultivate it in you own country

Edited by Jeffreyake
  • Like 1

This is an honest question - Does anyone here know, can Brunei's citizens (regardless of religion) seek asylum in another country, citing oppression, persecution or violation of human rights brought forth by the introduction of Syariah laws?

Yes. Most western countries will allow the submission of a refugee claim based upon religious persecution. If the imposition of sharia law would cause harm to a person, it would be considered grounds for a claim in a diverse range of countries such as Sweden, Netherlands, Canada to name a few.

• Like 1

Reading the comments here I see many of the members don't really know what Sharia law is.

AND, if it is real Sharia it is only applied to Muslims who, by the fact of calling themselves Muslim, accept it.

That said there is a lot of practice going around certain parts of the world that is being called Sharia which isn't even close to real Sharia law.

It will be interesting to see if real Sharia will be implemented or something of a more political and extremist nature.

I can see a certain number of "celebrities" calling for a boycott are lesbian/homosexual. Although these acts can be punished with death in real Sharia it is only if the act is displayed in public can anyone even be accused of a crime. In real Sharia no one has the right to invade a private dwelling so there is no way to check if anyone is homosexual or lesbian and the same applies about extra-marital sex. In other words it is only a crime if it is done in public.

I hope they don't do a perverted form as is the case in parts of Iran or the Sudan.

I guess you are either intoxicated or don't know how to read yet I intentionally kept my vocabulary at a primary school level. Now do all the <deletes> you want but please get some education.

Are you really just trying to pick a fight because you like fighting as many members here apparently do or can you really not understand what I wrote?

I can read what you have written, thanks for keeping it to primary school level. That makes it much easier to understand the need you felt to justify or explain a system so totally devoid of any form of humanistic element, so corrupt in its teachings that I don't know where to begin. So basically, because a lesbian advocates keeping clear of this mad monarchs investments, that makes it unworthy of consideration. But not to worry about being stoned to death if you are a lesbian, just keep it behind a closed door and you'll be fine. You really do believe in fairy tales eh?

So you're an intellectual therefore explain to us about Sharia Law on an academic level with references and where they were obtained? Simple enough for someone pretending to know all about it or did you get your education from watching the BBC, FOX and CNN?

To say that the followers of the Moon goddess of Arabia (that's the real basis of Islam!) have made a set of rules for desert dwellers to live by makes a certain kind of sense......a 1000 years ago!

To expect human beings to follow a set of rules that are so anti-human boggles the mind!

Is there anyone on earth, not suffering from a serious brain disorder, who believes in the "rightness" of sharia law and would be enthusiastic to have their pre-pubescent children and grand children punished/married/stoned/mutilated/executed by some grey headed old men whose only authority comes from younger men who hope to take their place one day??

Degenerate imbeciles! sad.pngwai.gif IMHO

To say that the followers of the Moon goddess of Arabia (that's the real basis of Islam!) have made a set of rules for desert dwellers to live by makes a certain kind of sense......a 1000 years ago!

To expect human beings to follow a set of rules that are so anti-human boggles the mind!

Is there anyone on earth, not suffering from a serious brain disorder, who believes in the "rightness" of sharia law and would be enthusiastic to have their pre-pubescent children and grand children punished/married/stoned/mutilated/executed by some grey headed old men whose only authority comes from younger men who hope to take their place one day??

Coma. whistling.gif

Sure. Just try and find a church or a temple. You won't find any since they are forbidden in practice. Brunei is the only country that demands visitors state their religion upon entry, isn't it? Reassuring? Nope.

A simple web search and some common sense (and maybe some education) would have told you that freedom of religion is guaranteed under the Law in Brunei.

The country has an area of 2,200 square miles and a population of 380,000. According to government statistics of citizens, there are 171, 892 Muslims, 8,901 Buddhists, 3,530 Christians, 372 Catholics, 32 Baha'i, 131 Hindus, 23 Atheists, 22 Taoists, 18 Sikhs, 17 Jews, and 3 Nasrani; as well as 32 individuals of other faiths and 7,884 who did not state their faith. Among permanent residents, according to the same statistics, there are 13,911 Muslims, 9,088 Buddhists, 3,088 Christians, 322 Catholics, 40 Baha'i, 99 Hindus, 11 Atheists, 18 Taoists, 15 Sikhs, 13 Jews, and 2 Nasrani, as well as 31 of other faiths and 6,910 who did not state their faith. These statistics did not cover a large expatriate population of temporary residents that included Muslims, Christians, and Hindus.

There are 109 mosques and prayer halls, 7 Christian churches, 3 Chinese temples, and 2 Hindu temples officially registered in the country.

• Like 2

Some of us can turn our heads and block out injustices - in other parts of the world. It's easy to do.

Others of us have consideration for sufferings of others, and perhaps look for ways in which we can improve things. At the least, we can offer donations or shelter to those who are severely harassed.

George Clooney is an example of a person who went out of his way to try and create added awareness about a problem. He's rich and famous, and could have easily gone to pomp resorts in Europe and been treated like a prince. Instead, he took his fame and money to travel to one of the most miserable parts of the world: South Sudan, to try to do some good. In that scenario, I think he succeeded, though more often than not, efforts like that fail to do much good. Reason: entrenched and powerful interests are very difficult to change. Examples: Syria. Now Brunei's Sultan wants to create troubles for his little fiefdom. Not much us outsiders can do to lessen the troubles created for Brunei citizens. Boycotting the Sultan's biz interests might make a dent in his propensity to enact harmful edicts.

Anyone can read the koran in English or Arabic, copies are freely available.....read it and draw your own conclusions! This is what the grey headed men are afraid of....critical appraisal of their "holy" book!!!wai.gif

What a load of nonsense. Even Israel has officially recognized that Islam, Christians and Jew all worship the sam G_D.

Get your skin head idiocies away from adult conversation.

Anyone can read the koran in English or Arabic, copies are freely available.....read it and draw your own conclusions! This is what the grey headed men are afraid of....critical appraisal of their "holy" book!!!wai.gif

Actually no, they can't. It is written in such a way that one chapter will contain one paragraph of a story and another another paragraph and another yet another paragraph. Without knowing where to find the entire story one can't understand it.

The book is a book of religion but also of history so it is easy to confuse the history lessons from the rules imposed.

What a load of nonsense. Even Israel has officially recognized that Islam, Christians and Jew all worship the sam G_D.

Is there only one God? Have you been all around town to count them? Maybe there are no Gods, and we're animals, and when we die we decompose - and those molecules get used to build other living things, or just mix with soil. Oh, but we don't want to believe such an unheralding idea. Better to create elaborate myths which depict ourselves as 'image-of-God' beings which live forever. And while we're at it, let's paint ourselves as the crowning of creation, so we can use all other species (which are inferior, of course) for our needs.

There is a 2nd God, and Her name is Gertrude. Hone up on Her.

Is there only one God? Have you been all around town to count them? Maybe there are no Gods, and we're animals, and when we die we decompose - and those molecules get used to build other living things, or just mix with soil. Oh, but we don't want to believe such an unheralding idea. Better to create elaborate myths which depict ourselves as 'image-of-God' beings which live forever. And while we're at it, let's paint ourselves as the crowning of creation, so we can use all other species (which are inferior, of course) for our needs.

There is a 2nd God, and Her name is Gertrude. Hone up on Her.

And the point of your comment is?

It’s hard to keep an academic, adult conversation going with someone who.............................. I'll leave it there or I might break the forum rules.

But really, what are you trying to say? Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the G_D who created Adam, the G_D of Moses and Jesus, the G_D in the Torah and the Bible and the Quran. This is a fact and no amount of bickering will change it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, this Sultan Chap was "educated" at Guildford Grammar College in Perth, Western Australia.

One would have thought that as such, he would be a little more up to date, with what is acceptable in the civilized world.

Well, not necessarily......

All righty then. I was just trying to figure out if you're trolling or not. You've confirmed it for me, thanks. Nicely done. Keep on trolling. smile.png

Dang, you're smart. Rather than addresse the questions at hand you pull out the "trolling" card. If Nixon had done that he would still be president but I guess he wasn't as intelligent as you.

You're a hater and haters love to hate. It's almost impossible to take away what a man loves so there will be no taking away your hate, your racism nor the vilolence in your heart. If we're lucky some Muslim immigration officer will see this and that will be that.

Coma. whistling.gif

Nice troll.

Nice jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

Coma. whistling.gif

Coma, how apt. You have to be in one to feel that a move taking the rights of individuals back to the 12th century is a positive step. Stoning for adultery, amputations for theft, flogging for not going to Friday prayer. Just the kind of example any right minded society wants to set eh? What next? A call for the return of the Spanish inquisition? A national "Hitler was misunderstood" day? Sheeeesh

Assuming your aren't from Brunei then it is none of your business. xmfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ic.UuJWYpOV2u

• Like 1

Good! Sharia laws are over a thousand years old and anyone who wants to use them in the 21st century should F off. You may not be able to boycott Brunei's oil but you sure as hell can boycott their businesses.

Well most of the western law is based on the roman laws which are even older.....that it is old is the smallest problem....

Good! Sharia laws are over a thousand years old and anyone who wants to use them in the 21st century should F off. You may not be able to boycott Brunei's oil but you sure as hell can boycott their businesses.

Well most of the western law is based on the roman laws which are even older.....that it is old is the smallest problem....

Old laws? New laws?, what's important is are they correct? That's why we, as caring people, with a conscience, have to reject, in the strongest terms, these backward, barbaric madmen. They can hide behind religion, but it's still wrong. We are all bozos on this bus and we have help each other, most of all those who can't help themselves. That means telling people when they are wrong. Good for Branson et al for making a stand.

• Like 2

please don't primitivize what I say. For sure nobody gave order to Branson, it's just carefully manipulated media mainstream which forms people's outlook. Try to speak something against it on American or British TV and you will be ostracized and stigmatized as "fascist" "racist" "sexist" "ageist" or something. Amercian discourse mongers developed dozens of terms to neutralize any ideological opponent...

for people like you interference in internal affairs of independent nations became normal, that's why you don't see anything weird in this article...

How do you expect anyone to accept that what you spout is not primitive?

• Like 1

I do hope with all my heart that there are no foreigners living in this country, I know its there country but oh my the sharia laws are very cruel. It takes away every ones freedom is this what the Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah wants,DOES it APPYL to HIM and HIS FAMILY, or are they above the laws,is just the ordinary people in his country that have to suffer

No one will like or respect him or his family such a shame that he feels he has to have such barbaric law for his people, they would respect and feel more for him if the laws where strict with out the barbaric methods, I feel sorry for him to think he has to do this in 2014, the old ways should be gone and new ones brought in

Poor poor man he can not have a heart or soul or care about people at all

I do hope with all my heart that there are no foreigners living in this country, I know its there country but oh my the sharia laws are very cruel. It takes away every ones freedom is this what the Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah wants,DOES it APPYL to HIM and HIS FAMILY, or are they above the laws,is just the ordinary people in his country that have to suffer

No one will like or respect him or his family such a shame that he feels he has to have such barbaric law for his people, they would respect and feel more for him if the laws where strict with out the barbaric methods, I feel sorry for him to think he has to do this in 2014, the old ways should be gone and new ones brought in

Poor poor man he can not have a heart or soul or care about people at all

You look like another one who was educated via the television and action movies.

If you want to know if there are foreigners there just do a web search.

Now, since you're an expert, tell us all about Sharia and where you learned it and give us details so we know you aren't just repeating The BBC.

Edited by healthbkkbkk

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, this Sultan Chap was "educated" at Guildford Grammar College in Perth, Western Australia.

One would have thought that as such, he would be a little more up to date, with what is acceptable in the civilized world.

Well, not necessarily......

Fat boy dictator of N.Korea was educated at a good school in Switzerland, and look how much good that did.

• Like 1