Half of new graduates will not get jobs: Thailand

webfact

Half of new graduates will not get jobs

unemployment-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Up to half of college and university graduates this year will not be able to get jobs due to the sluggish economy and business closures.

The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) predicts that the number of new graduates will outnumber the positions available in many companies by about 50 percent.

From this figure, the FTI predicts that at least 150,000 graduates or 50%, would be unable to find jobs if they apply for jobs.

The Department of Employment has estimated that in 2014, there would be at least 547,800 people entering the workforce, and around 336,900 of them would be Bachelor’s Degree graduates, who account for 61.5 percent of job applicants.

Meanwhile, Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) has forecast that Thailand’s GDP will only grow between 2.5 to 2.7 percent this year. It has also predicted that unemployment rates will reach 1.0 to 1.2 percent in 2014 across the country, considerably higher than last year’s rate of 0.8 percent.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/half-new-graduates-will-get-jobs/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-06

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always 7/11 if you can use a calculator

And to add to that no matter how many will be jobless they will go help mother on the farm and not be unemployed. It is situations like this that highlight the way they have unemployment @ 1 %

• Like 1

Any information on the type of graduates? Is there a good match between field of expertise and request by companies?

I have no data on that, but at times have the impression that too many think management is the way to go.

They will be unemployed because they are unemployable and unqualified to hold that piece of paper that says they graduated.

Can anyone say Educational Reform?

I found that someone outside the big cities with some school is way better qualified for just about everything than people with Thai University degrees from the lower universities. I guess on the famous Unis it will be better.

They are mostly unemployable.

yup, i have a friend who makes quite alot of money writing papers for rich kids. he does soooo well in fact that he hired 4 others. ... did i mention he has no degree. lol. i got in this once. but the fact that i had to dumb down my papers made me upset. its like watching a rich kid piss on your puppy.

• Like 2

batchelors degree graduates...cheesy.gif spare me please...they wouldnt pass an 11+..exam..

I see you too have taught in the Thai education school system.

I was told last year by a university lecturer with a PHD in English "me English good yeh". I could not stay there as I kept laughing at him.

I think I had only 1 student who would pass uni in a western country out of 800+

That is horribly sad and absolutely believable. When everyone passes...everyone fails.

• Like 2

Thailand has to create more jobs for their graduated.

It means more Mac Donalds, Pizza Hut and 7-11, because outside Thailand their level is too low to get a decent job.
But don't blame the graduated, but blame their teachers.

But from 2015 Asean starts to allowto work outside their country.
In 8 months there will be many Cambodia, Lao and Philipinos working in Thailand.

But no problem with a figure of 1,2% (?????) unemployment you do much better than the rest of the world.

Their forecasts are always positive........but their dreams also
Economic growth 2% (????). Be honest!

Thailand's industry is mostly depending on foreign companies, but they come and leave also when they see other possibilities.

Thailand open your eyes, because your forecasts has no bottom to stand on.

There is no plan where Thailand will standing in the world over 15 years.

I believe still 30 years behind the other countries.

Sorry i have to say this statement.

• Like 2

when you consider that half of them can barely read and write is it any wonder, they go to uni to learn to make hitler dolls and posters or mickey mouse/anime posters etc, they dont go to classes and simply refuse to do any work. Welcome to the real world kiddies, time for you all to learn your first lessons in life, do what you are supposed to not what you feel like doing.

• Like 1

Spare me the bulls!!t , the education ministry knows only full well the liability the education system of Thailand places on graduates, what is the use of training up half cocked degree holders that can not speak English properly, who's inability to pronounce words correctly , would even baffle an Welshman, would never compete alongside their western counterparts in another country , eventually you end up with a country full of un-employed degree graduates all competing for what, nothing ,what's the point.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Any information on the type of graduates? Is there a good match between field of expertise and request by companies?

I have no data on that, but at times have the impression that too many think management is the way to go.

Most of my students want to be engineers - yet most don't even know what is involved. Lot's of face for their families though! Most will end up flipping burgers because they really don't learn much at most of the universities here. The same has happened i the West though - too many graduates and not enough jobs. But the huge demand there for builders and plumbers really pushed up their salaries. Not many want to do menial work in Thailand - no face in that and low wages.

Most of my students want to be engineers - yet most don't even know what is involved. Lot's of face for their families though! Most will end up flipping burgers because they really don't learn much at most of the universities here. The same has happened i the West though - too many graduates and not enough jobs. But the huge demand there for builders and plumbers really pushed up their salaries. Not many want to do menial work in Thailand - no face in that and low wages.

Finished masterdegree in something engineering....can't calculate basic triangular shapes with. Don't know c2=a2+b2

one old drunk freelance with college is teaching the masterdegree engineers that it is possible to calculate bearings (which one to take), which they never heard of.

But no one is doing it because only huge computers can do that....Well and beside huge computers I can also do it.....

But most I saw studied something like "office administration" what I really don't know what that should be at an University.

Heard a lot Thais about sending their kids outside because there the Universities are better....England USA Australia NZ....