Ultimate Emergency Medical Cover - help needed!

Dazzler

I have excellent medical and accident cover through my company plan. However I am just looking for full cover in the event of expensive cases e.g. emergencies and/or chronic conditions, involving maybe evacuation overseas, extended periods of ICU and expensive treatments/operations etc.

Basically I am looking for cover so that a serious accident or condition does not cost me tens of thousands of dollars, if say I pay for example, the first $5,000.

I know there are companies like SOS and BUPA, but wonder if anyone has any experience of taking out these types of policies, or if they exist.

Thanks!

My company medical insurance has an SOS policy included, think your getting a bit confused, BUPA is medical insurance, while SOS is involved with international repatriation in case of medical emergencies, as far as I am aware SOS don't really offer "stock" medical insurance, their services are usually tacked onto your medical insurance..

What I can tell you is my medical insurance is good upto about GBP 2.0 million with an excess for routine stuff of GBP 100 and emergency cases have no excess, they are fully covered and think the annual premium my company pays is around GBP 2500/year per person..

Edited by Soutpeel

Bupa international with the evacuation add on, this is the one I use. It includes all types of evacuation including the most expensive type where you need to fly whilst unconscious with a team of people keeping you alive.

On my policy the excess is only $500.

Edited by ukrules

Dear Soutpeel,

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned I am not looking for cover for the basic stuff, just for the events that could be financially crippling without having adequate cover in place.

Dear UKrules,

Your policy looks interesting, how much roughly is the annual premium please?

Dear Soutpeel,

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned I am not looking for cover for the basic stuff, just for the events that could be financially crippling without having adequate cover in place.

Dear UKrules,

About 300 pounds per quarter so 1200 a year approx, maybe a little more.

It's worth noting that this is for full health care that covers you for everything - not just medevac / disaster evacuation. With this you're covered for Cancer treatments, Car / Motorcycle accidents, the lot.

It's also good for every country apart from the USA. This policy effectively replaces the need for regular travel insurance apart from luggage / small item insurance.

It's worth noting that this is for full health care that covers you for everything - not just medevac / disaster evacuation. With this you're covered for Cancer treatments, Car / Motorcycle accidents, the lot.

It's also good for every country apart from the USA. This policy effectively replaces the need for regular travel insurance apart from luggage / small item insurance.

Curious - any age restrictions ?? I have no pre-existing conditions.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Not sure on any age restrictions, I took it out in my late thirties a few years back.

Give them a call, that's what I did http://www.bupa-intl.com

Thanks.

AThe only problem you may face, depending on the wording of the policy, is that a pre existing condition exists even if you don't know about it!

Dear Soutpeel,

Dear UKrules,

You must be a YOUNG man as the cheapest I could get them to quote based on the criteria you suggest was £700 a quarter !

Dear Soutpeel,

Dear UKrules,

You must be a YOUNG man as the cheapest I could get them to quote based on the criteria you suggest was £700 a quarter !

Well I'm 41 now but I originally took the policy out when I was about 37 years old.