Water Pump for Condo

the water pressure in my condo is quite low. It seems the water pressure is done by gravity, I live 2 floors below the water tank. So I am considering installing a water pump.

I see 2 models of water pumps on sale at Homepro, both 150 watts, a hitachi that uses a bladder type pressure system and a Mitsubishi with a steel holding tank. Both are in the 5100 to 5350 baht range, both have a 5 year warranty.

Any recommendations on the better model? Anyone have any experience in adding a water pump in a condo?

Sorry but can't see how you are going to do it !

The water pumps that you see are for pumping from a water tank, how they would work on a condo's supply line is questionable

Do you have easy access to the supply line that comes into your condo would be the first question, the second would be the size of the line , and the third is going to be if the condo will allow you to install a pump ? Finally where are you going to put this pump, they arn't exactly small discreet units

I guess that it all depends on your condo's Ts & Cs.

A water pump connected to your input line to the condo would work fine using the roof tank as a supply and would not affect anyone else unless you sucked the tank dry. An alternative would be to install your own tank that is pressure filled from the roof tank and run the pump from there. I have an old Mitsubishi WP-155 in Bangkok that works fine on a 2 story town house.

Two floors below the water tank.

Does that mean tank is 1 1/2 floors or 2 1/2 floors above shower head?

In any case when I was a lad in England all the houses ran from a loft tank generally one floor above the bathroom yet the bath tap pressure was pretty fair and this would be less than your head of water.

A first question to consider…..is yours an older building and if so have the (often somewhat sclerotic) steel pipes been exchanged for plastic

1. in the public supply duct?

2. in your unit i.e. the bathroom walls etc?

If not well be sure to exchange when you do ever renovate…..the static pressure will be OK if sclerotic but not the dynamic i.e. working pressure.

In other words if you happen to be renovating soon and don't have plastic yet the change alone may be enough to raise pressure without paying for a pump.

In any case yes it's possible to pump I know of a condo with a pump situated under the double vanity counter in the bathroom. It takes up most of it's half of the cupboard. It obviously has an inline switch as it takes some seconds to kick in, when it does it makes a big difference to the shower pressure which is probably what you really want.

I should say it is pretty noisy which has been attenuated by half by acoustic foam inside the cupboard.

I shall be visiting my friend tomorrow and if you wish I'll try to remember and give you the unit details.

I happen to know this unit has been used successfully elsewhere too, it was specifically recommended to my friend.

Cheeryble

Edited by cheeryble

Recognise that all pump systems will have large diameter inlet pipes. These pipes should be as short as possible. This is to avoid a condition called cavitation -i.e. the flow 'in' is less that the pump is attempting to pump 'out.'

The pump outlet pipes will typically be smaller than the inlet pipes.

Using the small diameter outlet pipe as an inlet pipe can create cavitation problems.

If your water flow is low -then the rest of the condo will be suffering the same issue. The lower floors have the benefit of more static head-this will work in their favour.
Is is possible to persuade your fellow co -owners to install a correctly sized pump system (complete with bladder tank switching system and spare pump) on the building roof. .Ideally this should be sited adjacent to the high level storage tank.

The water pipe coming into the condo is 1/2 inch. Currently, I have a Big Blue sediment canister filter that has a 1" inlet and outlet, which filters all incoming water. The outlet is reduced to 1/2" to supply the taps in the condo. All pipes that I have seen in the condo are blue plastic.The condo roof water tank base is about 4- 5m above my shower head. The roof tank is about 2m tall.

I see 2 varieties of pumps from Mitsubishi & Hitachi, constant pressure (square box) and normal (round box). Most pump's inlet and outlet pipes seem to be 1". I read some place it is best to get a constant pressure model(more expensive) if the outlet water is used for a shower. The girl at homepro recommended Mitsubishi, because they fail less than Hitachi.

The plan is to install the pump after the filter. The condo inflow piping would be: condo supply 1/2", increased to 1"; into Big Blue filter; 1" out from filter, 1" into pump, pump ouflow is 1"; reduce 1" to 1/2" ; 1/2" to all taps and water consuming appliances.

Any issues with the piping? Any recommendations on which model is best?

Sorry but can't see how you are going to do it !

The water pumps that you see are for pumping from a water tank, how they would work on a condo's supply line is questionable

Do you have easy access to the supply line that comes into your condo would be the first question, the second would be the size of the line , and the third is going to be if the condo will allow you to install a pump ? Finally where are you going to put this pump, they arn't exactly small discreet units

Well, the water does come the tank on the roof.

I have easy access to the supply line.

I don't plan on asking the condo if I can install it or not.

Pump will go in a corner on the balcony, near the supply line.

The water pipe coming into the condo is 1/2 inch. Currently, I have a Big Blue sediment canister filter that has a 1" inlet and outlet, which filters all incoming water. The outlet is reduced to 1/2" to supply the taps in the condo. All pipes that I have seen in the condo are blue plastic.The condo roof water tank base is about 4- 5m above my shower head. The roof tank is about 2m tall.

I see 2 varieties of pumps from Mitsubishi & Hitachi, constant pressure (square box) and normal (round box). Most pump's inlet and outlet pipes seem to be 1". I read some place it is best to get a constant pressure model(more expensive) if the outlet water is used for a shower. The girl at homepro recommended Mitsubishi, because they fail less than Hitachi.

The plan is to install the pump after the filter. The condo inflow piping would be: condo supply 1/2", increased to 1"; into Big Blue filter; 1" out from filter, 1" into pump, pump ouflow is 1"; reduce 1" to 1/2" ; 1/2" to all taps and water consuming appliances.

Any issues with the piping? Any recommendations on which model is best?

Be careful that you do not burst a pipe. As the blue pvc that they use is of low quality and the jointing glue is even worse.

Don't worry about the condo management knowing about it. Once it cycles on and off a couple of times all your neighbors are going to report the strange sound coming from your balcony

A 1/2" gravity water feed is always going to be wrong.

A 1/2" gravity feed into a 1" pump will be worse.

The pump is unlikely to survive beyond the 5 year warranty period

Edited by Delight

• 9 months later...

I am looking for advice on installing a backup/ emergency water tank and pump in the 2 story townhouse I am renting and since it is sorta like a condo I am posting on this thread since it is still open.. I live in East Pattaya out near lake Maphrachon and during the last 6 months there has been times that I have no water.. When I do have water the pressure is great.. the best I have had in Thailand so I do not need the pump all the time, I only need it when they shut off the water supply. I also do not want to spend a lot of money since I am renting so instead of installing the tank and pump outside which would require a cement pad and electric install.. I want to install it in the downstairs bathroom and plumb so that the tank will stay full using a float switch with the motor turned off along with a manual shutoff valve on the output side of the pump.. When I loose water I will turn off the supply from the city using the manual shutoff valve outside that is already there.. then open the valve on the output side of the pump and turn the pump on.. I think I can fit at least a 500 liter tank in there which will be enough take a few showers which is all I need as the water is never off for longer then a day..

So any flaws in my plan?

is there a better way?

any recommendations on the brand and type of pump I should consider?

TIA

Don't worry about the condo management knowing about it. Once it cycles on and off a couple of times all your neighbors are going to report the strange sound coming from your balcony

It's been installed more than 6 months, no complaints have been received. It's quite quiet, just clicking and a purring sound.