Saudi blogger Raif Badawi gets 10 year jail sentence

webfact

Saudi blogger Raif Badawi gets 10 year jail sentence

(BBC) A Saudi court has imprisoned blogger Raif Badawi for 10 years for "insulting Islam" and setting up a liberal web forum, local media report.

He was also sentenced to 1,000 lashes and ordered to pay a fine of 1 million riyals ($266,000; £133,000).

Amnesty International called the verdict "outrageous" and urged the authorities to quash the verdict.

Mr Badawi, the co-founder of a website called the Liberal Saudi Network, was arrested in 2012.

A Saudi newspaper close to the government reported that he had lost his appeal against an earlier, more lenient sentence of seven years and three months in jail and 600 lashes.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27318400

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-05-08

Not sure how they go about it, but doubt a human body can withstand 1000 lashes at one go. A bit hard on the guy wielding the cane/whip as well.

Dishing it out slowly during prison times seems like proper torture, rather than punishment.

Note to self: Do not appeal sentence if convicted in Saudi Arabia.

And in other news....

Indonesian gang-rape victim faces caning

Widow purportedly punished for having sex with married man may still be caned for affair under sharia laws of Aceh province

An Indonesian woman who was allegedly gang-raped as a punishment for sleeping with a married man may still be caned for the affair under the Islamic sharia laws of Aceh province, an official has said.

A group of eight men allegedly carried out the sex assault last week on the 25-year-old widow at her house in Langsa, and also beat up the man with whom she is accused of having an affair. After the attack, which also saw the couple doused with sewage, the pair were handed over to sharia law officials.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/06/indonesian-woman-allegedly-gang-raped-punishment-caning

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

Civilised ???.what year again 1434

Actually 1435 as they use the Islamic Calender. This puts them 579 years behind us.wink.png

and if you take a look what was going on in Europe 579 years ago you'll find that the Saudis are choir boys in comparison.

We think that the world is getting smaller, Internet, can fly anywhere, sell each other stuff from any part of the globe, but nooooooooooooooooo, half the globe is stuck in a world of ........................................................Sadly. coffee1.gif

Yes you did work as servant in dubai.

Find me one Saudi working anywhere as servant

I am not saying is not a good job , on the opposite it a honest good job.

It is not good to tell what you were paid to do .

Your post makes absolutely no sense....... And what is wrong with telling what I work as? I am proud of a good career in my chosen industry, can you say the same?

• Like 1

Hi ,for those who think that the date of 1434-5 etct is not civilised .

Try read history and find out who did make the first Callander .?

You will be surprised

Its not who started with a calender but who is behaving civilised now ,

But i would be , http://gizmodo.com/archaeologists-discover-worlds-oldest-calendar-in-scotl-922374641

Edited by retell

This thread is beginning to go off-topic and is headed in the wrong direction. Please stick to the topic, which is a Saudi blogger and his sentence. Inflammatory remarks towards other posters and broad generalizations will result in posts being removed and possibly suspensions given.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

• Like 1

Islamic intelligence and Islamic punishment primitive thinking a job for knights Templar to jump in and rescue him, although I am sure some people out there might like the idea of a thousand lashes in a dark dungeon by a fat bird.

Screw them all those sharia fools who punish our lifestyles but travel abroad to enjoy it

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

please tell us how your life style was punished by sharia fools whistling.gif

Civilised ???.what year again 1434

Actually 1435 as they use the Islamic Calender. This puts them 579 years behind us.wink.png

and if you take a look what was going on in Europe 579 years ago you'll find that the Saudis are choir boys in comparison.

It's the here and now we're talking about, and by today's (civilised) standards, the actions are positively barbaric.

"the here and now" is irrelevant. Saudi Arabia is a sovereign country with its own laws. if you don't like the laws of a country stay clear. they are none of your business.

"civilised standards" are a matter of individual perception and perspective. in reality these standards do not exist.

"Insulting Islam"...what a joke...Saudi...just another intolerant Muslim country...they put people who exercise free speech in jail...then exonerate male rapist and destroy the life of the female who brought charges against their untouchable male abuser...

• Like 1

Will never step foot on Saudi soil, disgusting country and the fact that the civilized world largely turns a blind eye to it makes it even worse

It's not that easy to visit Saudi Arabia. No 30 day visa on arrival there.

Let's stay on topic and the topic is not about how awful Islam is everywhere. It's about a specific country and a person.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

1000 lashes?

That's truly barbaric.

Actually barbarism's to colonize others, to enslave others, to plunder others, & to be racist towards others. & that's exactly what Europeans did to others. Shame on those who inflicted pain on others.