D-Tracker Battery Problems

Hi,

I have a D-Tracker 125cc which I bought new about two years ago.

The battery died and it was cracked when the mechanic looked at it.

He says it happened because I don't use the bike often enough,that D-trackers are different and they need to be started every day and left with the engine running for a while.

I don't understand what he means by different but it's not like any other bike I've had.When you turn the key the head light and the preheater for the fuel injection come on.Also the battery went while I was on a long journey.It started on the key then I drove it 60kms and stopped for a break and it wouldn't start again.

Any bike I ever had before would start better after driving 60kms,I said this to the mechanic but all he said was that my bike is different and that I must start it every day and let it run.

Letting it run is a hassle because I only use it once a month.So my question is how is my bike different and why does the battery not charge when I take it for a long drive and is there anything I can do instead of running the engine every day like disconnecting the battery or something.

Thanks.

Two years is not bad for a battery in this climate.

Batteries are cheap-ish just replace every two years and you will be fine.

Alternatively buy a cheap small trickle charger and leave the bike plugged in.

Or in advance of all the "clever" people on TV spend three times the price of a new battery on a fancy charger and hope the battery lasts 6 years.

A D-tracker is not different at all. Batteries here generally only last about 2 years if you don't use them regularly, you may get closer to 3 years on a daily rider.

The battery will not charge after 60kms if it is knackered, they do reach a point where they won't charge anymore. A healthy drained battery will only need 5km's of riding to give it enough charge to start again.

Get an optimate / optimiser charger, use the o-ring battery connectors and just plug it in to a wall when not using the bike, they are excellent.

I had to replace my Nouvo's battery twice in 1 year because I let it sit for 2-4 weeks, I can't remember.

So I ended up putting a car battery kill switch on it.

Just put a switch on the positive lead between the bike and the battery and then remember to flip it off after every ride so the bike won't drain the battery.

You'll want a higher amp switch since the starter will pull a lot of amps through the switch.

If you can find out how many amps your bike's starter pulls then just get a switch to cover that.

I have a 30 amp switch on my Tricity but not sure if it's the right size since I can't figure out my bike's starter amp rating.

The biggest fuse on my bike is 20 amp so I'm hoping it will be fine.

I'd be more comfortable with a 50 amp switch but couldn't find any in Chinatown.

I think car kill switches are 100 amp so they are huge and overkill for a 125cc bike.

http://www.motosport.com/TH/motorcycle/BIKEMASTER-AUTOMATIC-BATTERY-CHARGER - this site has a few, all around 1500 baht.

I had a d-tracker last year and as the battery is in the left back panel, I drilled an extra hole up into the zip pouch on the rear fender and kept the plug in there with the o-ring permanently on the battery connectors. Real easy to do and it stopped the plug being exposed to the elements.

Just put a switch on the positive lead between the bike and the battery and then remember to flip it off after every ride so the bike won't drain the battery.

How does the bike drain the battery

How does the bike drain the battery

I don't understand why a Nouvo with no clock drained my battery twice but it did.

Why do alkaline batteries leak acid when left in a device for a long time without use, but when not in a device they can sit for years?

If you live in a condo block like myself and can't leave it plugged in all the time try a solar charger.

The car park in my condo is the lower floor but covered but has plenty of day light. Not under ground

Outside I had 17V and in the carpark it had 13.5V using a mutimeter.

It cost me 30 dollars on ebay and kept my battery topped up on my Monster 795.

Ebay Link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunforce-50013-1-Watt-Motorcycle-and-Powersports-Solar-Battery-Charger-New/351065528360?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D6781061062732719677%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083358%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D351064119515