Thai rice promotional event to be organized in Japan

Thai rice promotional event to be organized in Japan

BANGKOK, 8 May 2014 (NNT) - The Department of Foreign Trade (DFT) will take part in the Thai Festival in Shibuya District of Tokyo, Japan, next week from May 15th - 19th, in the department’s bids to expose Thailand’s Jasmine fragrant rice in the Japanese market.

Mr. Surasak Riengkrue, the DFT Director General, said that the venue, Yoyogi Public Park in Shibuya, is a well known rendezvous, and would perfectly serve the purpose of publicizing the kingdom’s famous grains. He said there will be ad campaigns in Japanese, whereas officials will hand out to passersby leaflets and DVDs featuring Thai dish menu that use Jasmine rice as the main ingredient. The Director General is confident that the campaign will be well-received by the local consumers.

The DFT will place emphasis on the grain’s quality and health benefits, while stressing the fact that the grain can be consumed together with Japanese rice.

The Director General stated Thai rice still has a chance to penetrate the Japanese market, claiming that the grain is popular among Japanese residing in various Asian nations, despite the fact that Japan is capable of producing its own stock.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-08 footer_n.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I doubt the Japanese will be overly impressed by Thai dishes. Japan, along with France, have one of the two UNESCO world heritage cultural cuisines.

And where's the whale meat?

The whale meat is south of Australia down Antarctica way , where it belongs.

The Japanese are more than aware of Thai rice. I managed a restaurant chain in the 90's in Japan, and it was already considered way inferior to its Japanese counterpart back then. Will be difficult to persuade the worlds biggest rice snobbs that they should take on Thailands moldy stock. Good luck with that!

• Like 2

facepalm.gif And they will be promoting Thai rice sushi-style to the Japs? Those mouldy stock would be great giving out a natural alcoholic flavour to the dish...wai2.gif

you don't need to add the fish....the rice itself tastes fishy

The Japanese are more than aware of Thai rice. I managed a restaurant chain in the 90's in Japan, and it was already considered way inferior to its Japanese counterpart back then. Will be difficult to persuade the worlds biggest rice snobbs that they should take on Thailands moldy stock. Good luck with that!

Not at all a matter of being inferior but simply a matter of preference since Japan prefers short grain rice over long grain.

I thought Japan also has about the strictest rules regarding cleanliness of products, packaging, etc. A single piece of unknown substance found in a containing can delay import or even lead to blocking of import.

Is that still the case?

Gave up on white jasmine rice ages ago - hungry again after an hour.

At home, have stocks of brown, red and black rice. The black rice is particularly good. Yes, they are still considered 'Thai jasmine' varieties.

As the article gushes about "quality and health benefits", one hopes they are not flogging the mouldy white stuff 'enhanced' with ergot.

Not at all a matter of being inferior but simply a matter of preference since Japan prefers short grain rice over long grain.

I said they considered it inferior, I did not mention the reasons why or my own personal opinion. Although, I do tend to agree that Japanese rice is better as I prefer short grain myself. Again this would largely depend on the dish you were cooking, for example paella would not work well with short grain rice but for most Japanese dishes Japanese rice is best.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

I said they considered it inferior, I did not mention the reasons why or my own personal opinion. Although, I do tend to agree that Japanese rice is better as I prefer short grain myself. Again this would largely depend on the dish you were cooking, for example paella would not work well with short grain rice but for most Japanese dishes Japanese rice is best.

I find your reply to be inferior to mine wink.png

Edited by JohnThailandJohn