Phuket's World Cup Crackdown

george

How to get English commentary:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72326

Phuket's World Cup Crackdown

PHUKET:-- As the opening games of the World Cup kick off football fans in Phuket may be in for a shock. Almost half of the first round matches in Germany will air after 2am in Thailand and police and government chiefs have warned that, unless they receive special clearance from central government, entertainment venues that remain open past regular licensing hours will face the full weight of the law.

Pol Maj Gen. Decha Budnampetch of Phuket City station told Phuket Post that he and his officers would enforce the existing licensing hours unless he was told otherwise by the governor’s office, stating that entertainment venues that wanted to extend their opening hours would first have to seek approval from the governor However, Deputy Governor Wisut Romin told the Post: “The governor has no special authority to order extensions to entertainment venues; closing times. He must first receive an order from the Ministry of Interior to allow that to happen.”

Kathu Police Station chief, Col Teeraphol Tipjareon explained. “It’s impossible to extend the opening times to three or four in the morning without a revision to the law by the Ministry of Interior. This is not only in Phuket –the whole country is ruled by this law. Unless we receive special orders, we will continue to close entertainment venues at the regular time.”

Currently no such special order had been received.

-- Phuket Post 2006-06-12

How to get English commentary:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72326

“It’s impossible to extend the opening times to three or four in the morning without a revision to the law by the Ministry of Interior.

yes , its impossible for the police to overlook the law.

prostitution (illegal) continues unchallenged , the illegal lottery continues , motoring laws are flouted continually in front of the police , gunmen and robbers are free to do what they want mostly ,but god help anyone watching a game of footie after 2.am.

the strong arm of the law will be brought to bear on you.

Stop yer whining there is too much bloody football on anyway. I can think of a lot better ways of spending my time than watching a load of nancy boys ponce around a pitch.

Well said... Try a civilized sport like F1.

Well, i just wonder what did really happen over there - now its 12.6. and the games are going on; tonight with Italy versus Ghana. Starting at 2 pm Thai ! And what about the next matches? Please report. :o

P.S. CS defeated the US. :D

Edited by Sturbuc

Well, i just wonder what did really happen over there - now its 12.6. and the games are going on; tonight with Italy versus Ghana. Starting at 2 pm Thai ! And what about the next matches? Please report. :o

2pm is afternoon. Night would be 2am. What do you mean?

Stop yer whining there is too much bloody football on anyway. I can think of a lot better ways of spending my time than watching a load of nancy boys ponce around a pitch.

I am a motor fanatic, but F1 as got to be the most boring sport currently available on TV.

World Cup once every for years, whats wrong with that. Apart from the odd bit of violence it's the only sport and tournement that brings countries together, if only for a short time.

I love world cup football but i rarely watch it in Thiland in a pub . Especially when England is playing because of the many stupid drunken guys around who basically cannot handle anything which is not in favour of their team . No , closing time 2 am is fine , you want to watch , go in your room . I remember last world cup or was it euro cup when England played , every bar had to close because of the fear for fighting people and they are ###### right . I go next week to Thailand and i hope Germany , Holland and England are out of the game by then , so i can have a relaxing evening watching football in a bar and support any team i want .

No chance mate - England, Germany, and Holland will all be about! :o

QUOTE(pyros @ 2006-06-13 02:23:58) *

I love world cup football but i rarely watch it in Thiland in a pub . Especially when England is playing because of the many stupid drunken guys around who basically cannot handle anything which is not in favour of their team . No , closing time 2 am is fine, you want to watch , go in your room . I remember last world cup or was it euro cup when England played , every bar had to close because of the fear for fighting people and they are ###### right . I go next week to Thailand and i hope Germany , Holland and England are out of the game by then , so i can have a relaxing evening watching football in a bar and support any team i want .

Unless I missed it, closing time for all entertainment venues in the Kingdom of Thailand (as well as in The Kingdom of Walking Street) is 1:00am. Anyone know anything to the contrary?

Perhaps you´re being too harsh on the English, Germans and Dutch, Pyros...............so far the tournament has made good reading because of some unexpected results and quite a lot very interesting games. There has been virtually no hooliganism (so far......) in Germany. Perhaps it will rub off onto those following the games in other countries and you may yet be able to enjoy drink in the company of those fans you cursed...............on the other hand...........there are still over 3 weeks of the tournament to go.......

For the people who want to follow the Football games online and see the scedules. You can check this site.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/euro/index.html

Wish you all good luck with the games and feel sorry for you all you can't watch it live.... but hey, why you not feel sorry for us?? we aren't in thailand :o

Oh, by the way.....why all the excitement about just football.....The Netherlands will be world champion no matter what, so no need for watch its :D

Regards from the Netherlands

Could the reason for the clamp-down be complaints from the mamasans that barfines are down due to the customers watching the football?

Seriously, I was in Thailand for part of the 1990 World Cup, when again some matches started at 2.00 a.m. Even in those more enlightened times, there was often a rush at half-time to find a bar staying open after 3.00 a.m. for the second half. I recall ending up in one of the small bars in Walking Street to watch the second half, and extra time, of England v Cameroons. I think I left the bar at about 4.45 a.m. I had started watching the match in one of the bars in Soi Diamond, which had big banners saying they were showing the match. I thought I was in heaven. Beer in hand, scantily-clad ladies dancing on stage, a girl on my lap, rock music blaring out and football on a big screen. Unfortunately, this came to a sudden end when, without warning, the bar closed at 3.00 a.m., just as the second half was about to start. Personally, I am more likely to stay awake if I am drinking a beer than if I am propped up on my bed. For those who like to watch football, I hope a compromise can be reached.

:D I have just finished watching italy win but such lousy acting ,pretending to be injured. :D

I`ll take hockey anytime since i`m from Canada

For the people who want to follow the Football games online and see the scedules. You can check this site.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/euro/index.html

Wish you all good luck with the games and feel sorry for you all you can't watch it live.... but hey, why you not feel sorry for us?? we aren't in thailand :o

Oh, by the way.....why all the excitement about just football.....The Netherlands will be world champion no matter what, so no need for watch its :D

Regards from the Netherlands

Dream on peter, u guys are so boring its like watching paint dy. I just came home at 5am Thai time. all my Thai mates r having a ball, sorry no pun iteneded. What about USA ???

Dream on peter, u guys are so boring its like watching paint dy. I just came home at 5am Thai time. all my Thai mates r having a ball, sorry no pun iteneded. What about USA ???

Boys hardly play it there,it is a girls sport there.Matter of fact The USA Women Team won the cup last time.

As a local Publican, who has had to decide weather to air the W/C or have live entertainment. WE have decided that our live entertainment is more profitable. People have come in to watch the W/C and its like they want to see how long they can sit with 1 drink, and yes we stay open until there no people left in the pub. There are som many place showing it that people are seeking a place that does not show it on a Fri & Sat night.

Hmm, 3 posts and 100% negative.

What was your nic before, Sadsack? :o

Cheer up :D

Boys hardly play it there,it is a girls sport there.Matter of fact The USA Women Team won the cup last time.

Looks like a load of girls were playing for the Italian team as well! Why don't they deal with the overacting? Not real a good example for the future of tomorrow. Watching the Iranians play against Mexico was refreshing. They didn't dive, roll around or complain like a bunch of girly la las. Well done Iran, shame you got hammered at the end.

I think the most annoying thing is not 1am closing, but the lack of english commentry and scores.

Have no problem at all with staying home to watch football instead of at a bar... if you have a true passion for the game then it shouldn't matter where you watch it... or is this just another excuse to get drunk for most of you?

:D I have just finished watching italy win but such lousy acting ,pretending to be injured. :D

I`ll take hockey anytime since i`m from Canada

AMEN brother!!! Did you catch game 4? That's some tough play. Caines up 3-1 now returning home. I watched some world cup earlier (ZZZZZZZZZZZ) and then turned on the hockey. Thought they had it running in fast forward compared to the soccer :D

What is up with the soccer players always acting like they have been disembowled every time someone touches them. Geeezs!

This is all just plain silly.. who really wants to watch a bunch of little boys kick a ball back and forth to get it in a net at 3am in the morning?? If there was a THONG BIKINI match at 3 am...okay I could understand that.. I would love to see screamin' young bikini clad babes playing that game and not a bunch of hooligans get druck and fail to respect each others spaces in watching the game.

Hot sweaty babes kickin' a ball around a field would bring me out at 3AM.. something I have not seen since I was last in Rio on the beach or Nice on the nud_e beaches...watchin' the dames in the raw playin' with a ball.

What has happen here?? Thailand was once a great fun place..without UBC

mmm maybe the guys who play hockey don't get hurt when they are kicked in a leg because they are stuffed like a thanks giving turkey? No ...can't be!

When you want to try a nice kick with a football shoe in a bare ankle let me know, glad to please! :o

Edited by KhunMarco

Wot World Cup? :o

Go Kimi :D

TBWG