Tomorrow is day off but it's not written on the public holidays page !

thaicookingchef

Tomorrow is day off but it's not written on the public holidays page !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Ploughing_Ceremony

https://kulibrary.wordpress.com/tag/%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3-2557/

Post ofice is closed.

Next day off if on May 13th.

Edited by thaicookingchef

It was marked as a holiday on the free calendar that I got from KBank last December.

My MIL had an appoinment at the hospital this morning and even though I told my wife, MIL and friends the MIL had to go.

I took her at 6 am and when we got there 15 minutes later there was not a soul around the place but big notices saying (in Thai) closed 9,10 and 11 May.

So we came back home.

What is Thai for "I told you so"?

Because the date is set just prior to the day & not in advance, it is determined by astrology. Royal Ploughing Ceremony.

What he says. That's the only date I couldn't place on the Thaivisa calendar as my astrologer wasn't available at the time. biggrin.png

But isn't Loy Khratong determined in a similar way, and that date is known long time before the event

Because the date is set just prior to the day & not in advance, it is determined by astrology. Royal Ploughing Ceremony.

What he says. That's the only date I couldn't place on the Thaivisa calendar as my astrologer wasn't available at the time. biggrin.png

But isn't Loy Khratong determined in a similar way, and that date is known long time before the event

That one is based on Thai lunar calendar so easy to determine in advance. Loi Krathong takes place on the evening of the full moon of the 12th month in the traditional Thai lunar calendar. In the western calendar this usually falls in November.

One of the things I do for conflict resolution is I place the full moon on the calendar based on Thai date/time and adjust a holiday date if it doesn't match. This year everything fit perfectly though.

I do have the Royal Ploughing Ceremony on the main downloadable calendar and have the date correct so must have gotten it. Believe the problem was that some years they have it predicted well in advance but before it was the last moment.

How determined.

Royal Ploughing Ceremony Day (usually during the 2nd week of May) is supposed to be a government holiday, however, no

reliable source has been found to confirm how it may be predicted. This is an ancient Brahman ceremony, held under Royal

patronage in Bangkok, which celebrates the beginning of the rice planting season. The day is selected by Brahmin Priests according

to their astrological calendars.