Single Cream

Morning all,

Anyone know where I could source single cream in BKK? I need some for a Korma curry. I usually mix 6tbs Coconut Milk powder with 200ml single cream, I will try this with coconut milk instead but often find it is much more runny that even Single Cream.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Whipping cream (slightly higher fat content than single cream) is readily available at the likes of Villa, TOPS, Gourmet Market. There are expensive imported brands (UHT), but the cheapest by volume is the locally produced, pasteurised Foremost. (It comes in a large pack so costs more per pack).

I've occasionally seen Foremost cream in Big C and Lotus.

If coconut milk is too thin, put it in a bowl in the fridge and let it stand for a few hours. You can then easily scoop the cream from the top.

For making a good korma curry, I find that cream is too rich and do what the Indians do at home, use plain yoghurt. This works great and is as authentic as you can get. The only way I change the cooking process of making a korma, which me and my son eat at least twice a week, is that I use macadamia nuts, chopped up in the food processor until finely chopped, instead of cashew nuts.

Why not mix the cream with some milk. Foremost used to post its butterfat content on its containers. It was 35.5 percent. So if that still holds true, if you were to dilute it 50-50 with skim milk you would have single cream.