The Three Sisters: Corn, Beans and Squash

I'm no farmer, or even Gardner and I've never set a digital foot in the farming forum. But I thought I'd share something I saw today that you all might be interested in:

The Native Americans planted squash, corn and beans together so that they would benefit each other.: http://www.sciteckinfo.com/2014/01/celebrate-three-sisters-corn-beans-and.html

Includes instructions on how to correctly plant the crops.

Apologies if most of you were already aware of this.

T

Thanks T. This is something I had forgotten hearing abut growing up on a farm. We never practiced planting all three together, only corn and pumpkins. I'm starting a small kitchen garden behind my house and will give it a shot. What would you think about running a small version in raised 1 meter concrete rings?

thats good thanks for sharing,,

in the uk and other parts of the world there has been companian gardening,,

like onions and carrrots, the onions keep carrot fly away

i plant marigolds round many of our trees to keep flys away, i try not to spray,

there is pages of companian growing on the internet,, very good reading,,,

i no im sad,,,lol

jake

• 2 months later...
Our neighbour plants papaya as its tall and provides shade . Under that him and his wife plant small chillies , prik kee gnoo also known as prik hom . Also puk chee corriander . Works brilliantly . Best wirkers iv seen . Tut yang kern tum veggie waan , cut rubber night timd and farm veggies daytime. Unfortunately blow all there money gambleing .

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app