Expat Retirement in Phuket - Pros & Cons? Where to live?

usasia8888

My wife and I are thinking about retiring in Phuket in 2 to 3 years from now. I am just over 50 so I qualify for a retirement visa. We have read and heard so much about Thailand and Phuket which makes us very interested in moving. We have both been to Thailand and generally know the entire Asian region but mostly via business trips or short term holiday trips.

However, we understand people who live in Phuket would know the island the best and may be able to say, what are the pro's and con's of life in Phuket on a Retirement Visa. We will not work while in Thailand.

We read a lot about the wonderful things to do while the travel or property people are happy to tell you a lot about. And before we would move, we would probably come to Phuket about 2 months over a 6 month period to better understand where to buy or settle into a property, understand more local issues and hope that we are going to be confortable there. We also have friends who live in Thailand (aka Bangkok) but coming from Hong Kong, we don't want to move to another city.

The issues we have read about are: corruption, taxi, environmental, deaths (seems mainly riptides, drinking/drunks, driving and mafia related), property ownership (we are aware you can't own land) and maybe insects, snakes, and rodents (some of you may think the later was refering to the mafia, some expats, working girls, boys or ladyboys or other but we are refering to the real things (real insects, snakes and rodents). LOL. We are not to worried about the night time activities at Patong as its not either on of are things and there isnt anything new we havent seen already.

We were planning to buy a villa (or possibly a condo) and use it as our home base but still travel. We are from Hong Kong and while expats our backgrounds are american (husband) and chinese (wife).

Any recommendations for living? We not entirely sure where a lot of expats live year round. We appreciate your comments good, bad or otherwise.

Edited by usasia8888

All of your issues are irrelevant. Live here awhile and you'll see what I mean. Those things don't matter. I may have thought of those things before I moved here, but now they just seem silly.

I've broken many of my rules, but here is one I won't break:

Rule #1 - Never buy property in Thailand

Phuket is a good place to retire to, do not believe what you read especially on forums

No problems in 8 years with the things you are worried about

See the occasional snake but they are more frightened of you than you are of them

Leave them alone and they disappear

probably a bigger rat problem in hongkong they are everywhere in every country

Come for a holiday and look around for accomodation for rent or sale, there is plenty of

it anywhere on the island, take your time looking as prices very a lot

It is not expensive to live here compared to Australia and the same would apply with Hongkong

Very central for holidays with its own international airport as you should know

Rent at first until you decide where to live it is a buyers market

• Like 2

Forget about Rawai/Nai Harn, or anywhere south of Heroine's monument. It is congested, hard to drive anywhere, and full of Filtph (failed in london, try phuket) If you are from HK and have a chinese wife then look to live in or near the Laguna/bangtao or Layan area where you will meet more like-minded people and be near a beach (Layan end) which will be relatively unspoiled at least for a few more years.

It's a no-brainer. Trust me on this. Bonus - Central will build a central festival soon in Cherngtalay. You will only need to head south for hospital visits, and absolutely no other reason.

• Like 2

A small basic condo on Phuket will cost you a minimum of 1.5 million. If you are from Hong Kong you will already have investements there that are yielding you circa 6 percent or more. 6 percent yield on 1.5 million is 90,000 pa. Or 7500 per month. You can secure a nice two bedroom house on a longer term lease for that sort of money in most of the quieter areas of Phuket. Try to arrive in wet (low) season to give yourself a better chance of securing a good deal.

I am not sure why on earth someone from HK would want to live in Phuket. You will be accustomed to great transport and other infrastructure. Phuket has none, in fact it is getting worse by the day. Perhaps you have seen the 20 year old images that are used to promote the beaches here. The reality now is that the bulk of the beaches along the west coast of the island are now a biohazard.

having been on phuket since 1985 i would say RENT short term first. Buyng a condo means buying with little chance of resale ( as their building so many now)

stay in a hotel somehwere an rent a car/ and drive around and see what places you like the most ( i live in Kamala an love it)

Each area is diferent and everyone is diferent, so what works for one might not work for you.

I dont care for the south of the island as it seems it gets more crime than elsehwere, more russians, realy bad traffic if u need use Chao fa road ( or the chalong circle) an its going to get worse once they start work on the overpass at chalong circle.

If you have $$ the area around Laguna is nice as are places in Kathu, if you dont need be near a beach ( Loch plam golf course)

But then 2-3 years from now ..... who knowslaugh.png

PS;i brought land. built a house and lived in it for 10 years and was LUCKY to have sold it. RENT

So many people have built and cant sell over the past 5-8 years

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2

Ridiculous posting.

1.5 million will only get you a shoe box in a less than desirable location on the island. For a 75SQM condo in a decent area close to beaches and amenities you are looking at closer to 5 million probably more.

Also, I would like to see this wonderful 2 bedroom house you can rent for 7,500 Baht per month.

Numpties like you get ripped off paying Raka Farang for their accommodation.

Others, such as myself, pay the local rate.

Have you ever actually been to Phuket.

Or let me guess, you spent two weeks in Patong once...

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

I guess it depends on the definition of "nice". I have yet to see any house, anywhere in the world for this money that I would consider "nice".

OP, in your situation with a wife from HK/China, I too would recommend the Laguna/Bangtao/Surin, if for no other reason than to avoid traffic hassles whenever you fly in and out.

• Like 1

Regardless of the level of accommodation the OPs require. Basic math still applies. If they keep 5 million baht invested at 6 percent they will have 300K to spend on rent.

Buying now is a losers game on Phuket.

Oh...and for the "OMG" I couldn't dream of living in a shoebox" keyboard warriors...one of my places is an unfurnished two bedroom, three bathroom, three air conditioners house at Chern Talay. I pay 7k5 per month. That price includes 24/7 gated security, a gardner twice a week, 82 channel cable tv, a 50 metre landscape swimming pool,and a full sized western kitchen. It was fully renovated just before I took over the lease. Painted fully inside and out, and all of the outdoors paved areas, and roof tiles pressure cleaned.

Blah blah blah...

looked at some 1.75 mil condos in kathu ( just to see what you would get) , NO WAY would i live in one, small, lousy construction and in 5 years will fall down

Falling down is the least of a buyer's problems. What about when all of the other owners refuse to contribute to the body corporate property upkeep fund.

Regardless of the level of accommodation the OPs require. Basic math still applies. If they keep 5 million baht invested at 6 percent they will have 300K to spend on rent.

Buying now is a losers game on Phuket.

Oh...and for the "OMG" I couldn't dream of living in a shoebox" keyboard warriors...one of my places is an unfurnished two bedroom, three bathroom, three air conditioners house at Chern Talay. I pay 7k5 per month. That price includes 24/7 gated security, a gardner twice a week, 82 channel cable tv, a 50 metre landscape swimming pool,and a full sized western kitchen. It was fully renovated just before I took over the lease. Painted fully inside and out, and all of the outdoors paved areas, and roof tiles pressure cleaned.

Blah blah blah...

How many place have you got, and are they condo's or houses???

• Like 1

8888 You do realise your wife will also require a visa don't you? she cannot have a

joint visa with you. She must qualify in her own right for a visa. This could be a problem

if she does not qualify for a retirement, and if she does you will require double the deposit

in the bank ie. 2 X 800,000 Baht.

All of your issues are irrelevant. Live here awhile and you'll see what I mean. Those things don't matter. I may have thought of those things before I moved here, but now they just seem silly.

I've broken many of my rules, but here is one I won't break:

Rule #1 - Never buy property in Thailand

Why do people who have never bought a property in Thailand keep on harping on about this? I have bought and sold a few in my time with no problems and made a fair profit too. I do not do this as a business just in normal day to day living and have managed to turn a very small condo into a very nice pool villa over the years.

You can only buy property in Phuket if you have the money to do so, the long term expats i have met only rent property

because they have no money to buy property, the same types talk about their BMW when they own or rent a honda click thumbsup.gif

"the long term expats i have met only rent property because they have no money to buy property" - not completely true.

Many here have the money to buy, but choose not to do so.

For many, myself included, it's simply not a wise financial decesion, but each to their own.

• Like 1

I have lived in ''Phuket'' for nearly 4 years, and i enjoy living here, i live in the South of The Island, and have no problems here, i have a great lifestyle and the weather suits me..

The only draw back for me, is the ''Standard of Driving'', but apart from that , for me its ''Paradise''...

If you do decide to live here, enjoy...

• Like 1

8888 You do realise your wife will also require a visa don't you? she cannot have a

joint visa with you. She must qualify in her own right for a visa. This could be a problem

if she does not qualify for a retirement, and if she does you will require double the deposit

her visa can be "tacked " on to yours as your legally married, no resason for more thna the 800,000 baht in bank for 2 months ( 1st application)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ridiculous posting.
1.5 million will only get you a shoe box in a less than desirable location on the island. For a 75SQM condo in a decent area close to beaches and amenities you are looking at closer to 5 million probably more.
Also, I would like to see this wonderful 2 bedroom house you can rent for 7,500 Baht per month.

Numpties like you get ripped off paying Raka Farang for their accommodation.

Others, such as myself, pay the local rate.

Have you ever actually been to Phuket.

Or let me guess, you spent two weeks in Patong once...

You are a complete idiot. A name like fatdrunkandstupid sums you up completely.

I do not rent. I actually have enough money to live in my own house and not have to rent some slum for 7500Baht per month.

• Like 2

@ nedkellylives

So, you have gone from "the long term expats i have met only rent property because they have no money to buy property" to "all the expats i know and can afford it have invested in property here." Which one is it? The expats you have "met" or the expats that you "know?"

I've met many expats who can afford to buy here, but choose not to.

What I am saying that is not "completely true" about your post is you are saying "long term expats you have met only rent property because they have no money to buy property." How do you know their financial status???? Do you ask them how much money they have got?

Many expats have a property portfolio in their home country, but would never buy a property here. So, as they even continue to expand their property portfolio in a western county, do you still believe they can afford to even buy even one property here?

I don't own a car here, not because I can't afford one, because I have nowhere to park it, and parking for a car, in general, is a problem here, but because I don't own a car, does that mean I can't afford one???? Would you judge me, and my financial status, on car ownership?

Sure, some expats can't afford to buy a property here, but many can and simply choose not to. I know quite a few that could easily buy, but choose not to.

I know some that have leased business premises here, but would never buy a property here. They paid more for the business lease than the cost of many properties here.

It's got nothing to do with negative opinions of Thailand, it's strictly a business decision.

The money I have that I would use to buy a decent property here is making more money for me than the cost of my rent here, plus some, also, it's at call for me, I always retain ownership of it, the fees for the investment are less than the fees for owning a property here, I have no repairs and maintenance to pay and it's less affected by the financial market than the property market here.

Compare that to a property on Phuket. You don't own the land your property sits on and at best have a 30 year lease that is diminishing each year. The construction is poor, therefore repairs and maintenance are imminent. There may be management fees, insurance and taxes to pay attached to the property. The property is hard to liquidate (turn back into cash) In general, the property can not be left to your heirs. The property's value is exposed by the oversupply of property on Phuket, and they are building more and more everyday here. There is no town planning here - they could build anything next to, or in front of your place tomorrow. Your neighbourhood (the people living next to you) could change, either slowly, or overnight. Eg. in 5 years your property could be in a Russian slum.

Each to their own. If you are happy with your decision - great. I am not criticizing you, but you shouldn't assume expats your either "meet" or "know" that haven't bought a property here is because they can't afford to because that is simply not true.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

her visa can be "tacked " on to yours as your legally married, no resason for more thna the 800,000 baht in bank for 2 months ( 1st application)

I stand corrected if you are right Richard but I seem to recall a thread on here where

someone was talking about him and his wife staggering there extension application times

to allow them to use the same 800,000 as their individual amounts, by transferring

between their accounts. maybe I got it wrong?? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

have two farang friends, both married to western women, both wives are added to their husbands , "retirement extensions" each year for no additional costs,

the wives only need get their first non immigrant visa out of Thailand