Left Front Fender Mirror

I dont have one, seen many.

If you look at most cars / trucks etc, the front left bumper area is more oft than not the scrape zone due to people not judging correctly how much room they really have.

Not sure how this mirror would help this as it points backwards and not down.

Not sure if it's available in the aftermarket, but some new side mirrors have split % wide view that eliminates this extra mirror.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A couple of years ago I had that mirror on my first Vigo, as I was a little bit uncomfortable parking. However, you don't see much in that mirrors (fisheye). On the next Vigo I gave it a miss.
In my experience you need 2-3 month to get used to the dimension of the new car (in case it is a lot bigger then your last ride) and then thats it...

Although on the rear sensors I don't want to drive without. 10 years ago only a few percentage of the cars had rear sensors installed..

Now almost every car has sensors or camera, some cars have a lot more cameras...

Couple of weeks ago I had to change the rear bumper of my car, because someone hit me on a traffic light.

I had to drive 4-5 days without the bloody sensors and felt sometimes uncomfortable parking without any "beeping help"...

It's funny, one parks cars 20 years or so without sensors and without any problems, then drives a car with sensors for 5-7 years and gets insecure if the sensors not there doing the beeping job...

Same goes for mobile phones and memorizing phone numbers from other people...

I even have a problem to remember the mobile no. from my wife, and I'm married 26 years and she did not change the number in the last 11 years...

On the other hand, because of security reasons I never save the telephone number of the gik in my phone but I remember her number always when neededcheesy.gif

We had one fitted primarily because the wife wasn't used to driving a big car.

It's come in handy and I rely on it now. I use it more to judge where the front left of the car is in small streets or crowded traffic. It's saved the front left from being scrapped more than a few times now.

Oh and I occasionally use the mirror to see how far I am from the car in front of me in a carpark.

I dont have one, seen many.

If you look at most cars / trucks etc, the front left bumper area is more oft than not the scrape zone due to people not judging correctly how much room they really have.

Not sure how this mirror would help this as it points backwards and not down.

Thanks. I think that the mirror is "fisheye", with enough curvature that it will show the front left-hand corner of the truck/suv when viewed from the driver's position.

Not sure if it's available in the aftermarket, but some new side mirrors have split % wide view that eliminates this extra mirror.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That would be great, but I do not see how the mirror could allow the driver to view the left-hand front corner of the truck/suv (which is the purpose of this mirror, primarily for parking) if it was mounted where the side mirror is. The side mirror is just too far back. What you describe sounds like a mirror that gives a wider view of the left rear and oncoming cars, which may be useful. But I will ask about other options that may be available before I have this style/type installed.

We had one fitted primarily because the wife wasn't used to driving a big car.

It's come in handy and I rely on it now. I use it more to judge where the front left of the car is in small streets or crowded traffic. It's saved the front left from being scrapped more than a few times now.

Oh and I occasionally use the mirror to see how far I am from the car in front of me in a carpark.

Your last use mentioned is the primary use that I see for this mirror, when parking the truck. The truck sits up high, and a rear camera and sensor are "a must" IMHO, and this mirror would probably make parking a bit easier and prevent a few scrapes. Thanks.

Those mirrors are used when you're actually doing serious off-road driving. You can see what your offside front wheel is biting into and also see how close to the edge of the bluff you might be on a narrow mountain track.

I hadn't considered them as being a "parking aid". whistling.gif

A couple of years ago I had that mirror on my first Vigo, as I was a little bit uncomfortable parking. However, you don't see much in that mirrors (fisheye). On the next Vigo I gave it a miss.

In my experience you need 2-3 month to get used to the dimension of the new car (in case it is a lot bigger then your last ride) and then thats it...

Although on the rear sensors I don't want to drive without. 10 years ago only a few percentage of the cars had rear sensors installed..

Now almost every car has sensors or camera, some cars have a lot more cameras...

Couple of weeks ago I had to change the rear bumper of my car, because someone hit me on a traffic light.

I had to drive 4-5 days without the bloody sensors and felt sometimes uncomfortable parking without any "beeping help"...

It's funny, one parks cars 20 years or so without sensors and without any problems, then drives a car with sensors for 5-7 years and gets insecure if the sensors not there doing the beeping job...

Same goes for mobile phones and memorizing phone numbers from other people...

I even have a problem to remember the mobile no. from my wife, and I'm married 26 years and she did not change the number in the last 11 years...

On the other hand, because of security reasons I never save the telephone number of the gik in my phone but I remember her number always when neededcheesy.gif

Thanks. Rear visibility in a step-up truck is non-existent, so the rear back-up camera and sensor are IMHO "a must". They are being installed on the truck next week -- the sensor by the dealer and the camera by an after-market shop. This side mirror appears to add a bit of increased visibility, but it is, as you suggest, probably marginal. I'll probably go with it.

Your last comment probably says something about your priorities. Perhaps you should consider installing some sensors for "beeping help" (and for security reasons) on the gik -- just sayin'wink.png .

Those mirrors are used when you're actually doing serious off-road driving. You can see what your offside front wheel is biting into and also see how close to the edge of the bluff you might be on a narrow mountain track.

OK. Then I am glad that I helped you see their broader use potential. wai2.gif

Thought it was just a normal fitment to Imports of some makes......... believe all big Lexus SUV's have them, thought the other Pickups and SUV's were imports from Japan that had them fitted ?

You see adverts of say a 2007 Vigo, Imported from Japan. Thai registered 2010, has these mirrors, as do Imported from Japan CRV's and so on..

thought the other Pickups and SUV's were imports from Japan that had them fitted ?

Thai Toyota dealers offer them as an optional extra. Not sure if its the same for other make dealers.

From the internet:

"TOYOTA GENUINE FJ CRUISER FRONT PARKING FENDER MIRROR RHD JDM"

"I think it's called a Parking or Sport Mirror. You can put this in your search on Ebay and see what it comes up with. Walt"

I would seriously doubt that more then 1/10 of 1% of these mirrors are sold to people intending to use them for "serious off-road driving", as they are very small and the visibility at any speed would be poor at best, so you would likely be over "the edge of the bluff" before you saw it in the mirror. Parking may actually be their best, perhaps only, real use. So, if you have one on your vehicle, be very careful how you use it! Next............

Edited by Thailaw

From the internet:

"I think it's called a Parking or Sport Mirror. You can put this in your search on Ebay and see what it comes up with. Walt"

I would seriously doubt that more then 1/10 of 1% of these mirrors are sold to people intending to use them for "serious off-road driving", as they are very small and the visibility at any speed would be poor at best, so you would likely be over "the edge of the bluff" before you saw it in the mirror. Parking may actually be their best, perhaps only, real use. So, if you have one on your vehicle, be very careful how you use it! Next............

Yes exactly, the fisheye effect is extreme it is difficult to judge if your fender or tire is 5cm or 15cm from the other car or stone. There are people using them for off-road driving, I've seen it.

Anyway once you get used to the dimensions of the car, the driver has usually a better feeling about the distance then the little fisheye mirror is able to reproduce.

Costs something like 1000 THB and if you don't mind the looks it helps in the first weeks or month.

I wonder when the first thai made cars are available with a surrond camera system like Range Rover:

New Honda Accord now has a blind spot camera in the left rear mirror integrated.

From the internet:

Gosh, was the cornflake box empty this morning or something?

Didn't mean to upset you with my trivial and somewhat tongue-in-cheek response. I was actually taking the piss out of people driving 4WD's in urban situations (vis a vis "parking") as opposed to those that actually do engage 4WD and do some serious off roading for pleasure. We have clubs back home where we head off cross country for a three day trip in the mountains and never see a road.

Try driving a 4WD on NZ mountain tracks and you'll discover the benefits of those types of mirrors. Being able to see where your offside wheels are becomes somewhat important. Sure, we often fit larger after market versions or adapt our own modified versions. And speed is not an issue when driving a track that's only 300mm wider than your vehicle with a 1,000m drop beside you.

To quote you, 'Next........."

Gosh, was the cornflake box empty this morning or something?

Didn't mean to upset you with my trivial and somewhat tongue-in-cheek response. I was actually taking the piss out of people driving 4WD's in urban situations (vis a vis "parking") as opposed to those that actually do engage 4WD and do some serious off roading for pleasure. We have clubs back home where we head off cross country for a three day trip in the mountains and never see a road.

Try driving a 4WD on NZ mountain tracks and you'll discover the benefits of those types of mirrors. Being able to see where your offside wheels are becomes somewhat important. Sure, we often fit larger after market versions or adapt our own modified versions. And speed is not an issue when driving a track that's only 300mm wider than your vehicle with a 1,000m drop beside you.

To quote you, 'Next........."

No cornflakes this morning or any morning, but I have had my 11 large cups of coffee, so I am all set till noon. Thanks for your concern.

My truck is not 4WD and I expect that the vast majority of trucks and SUVs sold in Thailand are not 4WD, unless the owners reside in the north. And my truck's tires will never be off hard tarmac, at least not intentionally. I did not get the 4WD option because, frankly, I saw no need for it. But my OP did not mention in any way that the intended use for the mirror was on a 4WD vehicle. That people buy and use 4WD vehicles in an "urban" setting is entirely their choice and if having the 4WD helps them occasionally that is great for them. Even people that live in the center of Bangkok may occasionally travel to see relatives in a remote setting, and the 4WD may be very helpful for them. I am not sure why anyone that owns a 4WD vehicle and uses it in an "urban" setting deserves your disdain or sarchasm, but if it makes you feel good, go at it.

In Japan, from what I can tell on the interent, these mirrors are "standard" equipment on trucks and SUVs or may even be required by law, which is why several posters have noted that Japanese imports into Thailand come with these mirrors installed. And I am sure that they are not installed or legally required for off-road use.

I have gotten the information that I needed -- thanks to all that responded for the help. So, I'll end this here, and you can continue bashing those that choose to live their lives (and drive their trucks and SUVs) in a way that is different than your "perfect" vision of the proper way to do things. If I knew anything about these mirrors, i would not have posted my question here. I took your post to be serious (stupid me) and wasted a fair amount of time checking what you said on the intenet. I do not want to install a mirror on my new truck that I don't need (and have holes drilled in the fender) if the primary use is off-road driving, which I will never do. I'll be more careful as regards your posts in the future. Hopefully, there won't be any "next"......

if it is just to get used to where the front is for a week or so, may just as well get a plastic stick and tape it on, would cost all of 20 baht at any 20 baht store, if you don't have tape well that would be another 20 baht..

on the other hand yes on something like the new Colorado and there front end maybe need something.... some cars have the little rounds things [3 of] on the front bumper as well as back I notice here, would have thought it would be cheaper to have front beeping sensors for people that have no idea how long there car/truck is ?

if it is just to get used to where the front is for a week or so, may just as well get a plastic stick and tape it on, would cost all of 20 baht at any 20 baht store, if you don't have tape well that would be another 20 baht..

on the other hand yes on something like the new Colorado and there front end maybe need something.... some cars have the little rounds things [3 of] on the front bumper as well as back I notice here, would have thought it would be cheaper to have front beeping sensors for people that have no idea how long there car/truck is ?

Thanks, good idea. The truck is a step-up Triton, so it sits up high in relation to the cars around it. There is no view of the rear end, so rear sensors and a back-up camera are a must. In the front, I think that cars close to the truck's front end will be hard to see or to gauge as regards distance, which is why i thought that the mirror would be a help. And I have seen several Tritions with these "parking/sport" mirrors. I had not thought of the front sensor (they are installing them in the back next week), but that is a good idea and may be better than the mirror. The mirror is B1,900 installed, so if they can do a front sensor in that price range, it is probably the better choice -- and I won't offend people that I am not headed out for an off-road mountain experience.

Helpful post, thanks a lot.

re most of the the 4x4's only sold in the north - lol, never been to the East Coast or south of Bangkok. Pattaya, Rayong, Hua Hin, Phuket etc are full of them...anyways not really the point of this topic.

I think backing up and turning is a bit of a six sense or learned thingy. You get a feel for where the rear end is. I would like to find out the stats since the introduction of reversing cameras were introduced vs previous times - it would surprise me if it was a huge difference in the number of cement blocks AoP backed into lol

How about this ??

Thais appear to love extra lights and flashing lights....

Just noticed $21 on ebay..

DC 12V Car LED Front Flag Pole Light with 3 Colors

Please note that we are selling factory direct products. All our products are 100% brand new in manufacturer's packaging.

Description:

• This Crystal pole with blue, green and red blinking LED lighting is a thoughtful product designed for cars.
  • Can be a decoration of cars and also can judge the distance between your car and obstacles.
  • 12V LED Light is installed on the car front flag pole place or universal bar fender.
  • Good looking with 3 colours LED light and warn other pederstian and drivers.
  • Easy installation with instruction on the back of blister card
  • Car LED Light can be also demounted, you can wash the car conveniently.
  • It is a clear reminder for turnning at night.
  • Suitable for DC 12V Car
  • Size: Approx. H27x W13(overall)cm
  • Weight: 192g

Package included:

• 1 x LED Light

or

Mount an Ariel on the front bumper

See Your point James , but im becoming Thai. My T/Blazer, Accord and Civic costs me a ballpark figure of 60 K Bht . P.A. So I don't realy care about a Claim anymore. I recon passenger's Yapping are as bad as Phone regarding distraction .. thumbsup.gif That's how I bumped it anyway..cheesy.gif

See Your point James , but im becoming Thai. My T/Blazer, Accord and Civic costs me a ballpark figure of 60 K Bht . P.A. So I don't realy care about a Claim anymore. I recon passenger's Yapping are as bad as Phone regarding distraction .. thumbsup.gif That's how I bumped it anyway..cheesy.gif

Are you sure that post did not just jump out behind you ?

anyway it was the post fault for being in the way

• Like 1

re most of the the 4x4's only sold in the north - lol, never been to the East Coast or south of Bangkok. Pattaya, Rayong, Hua Hin, Phuket etc are full of them...anyways not really the point of this topic.

I think backing up and turning is a bit of a six sense or learned thingy. You get a feel for where the rear end is. I would like to find out the stats since the introduction of reversing cameras were introduced vs previous times - it would surprise me if it was a huge difference in the number of cement blocks AoP backed into lol

You may be correct as regards a car, even a big one. But with a step-up truck, the tailgate is high enough that the things within 1 to 1.5 meters of your rear end are not even visible. So it is very hard to "get the feel" of where your rear end is when you can't even see what is there. And I had a rear bed Carryboy jumbo box installed in the truck's bed, which blocks the bottom 3 inches of the rear window, and makes things even worse as far as seeing what is behind you when backing up. So, notwithstanding AoP's bad experience, the rear camera and rear sensors get installed this week. I will check on front sensors also, but I am now leaning against the side mirror given the comments here. I hit a fire hydrant once when backing up in my Corvette (very high rear deck), so I know the feeling -- wish i had a rear camera then. Thanks,