Mexican restaurants Bangkok

SkyRider

Has anybody eaten at Senor Pico (Rembrandt Hotel) since it re-opened? I'm curious how it stacks up.

I have eaten there and thought both food and service were great. And the band was excellent. Come to think of it, one of the better evenings I have had in BKK.

Let's be honest. There is no good Mexican food in Bangkok. Some places are better than others but even the better ones must be qualified by the statement "not bad for Thailand". None of them would still be open after a month in the West.

Does that include La Monita? I have not been to Bangkok since it became well known, but have always gotten the impression that it is something special and would at least be acceptable in California.

My favorite Mexican restaurant in Thailand is Miguel's in Chiang Mai and if I wandered into it in San Francisco, I would not be impressed, but I don't think that I would complain about it either. I just wouldn't go back. Every other Mexican restaurant I've eaten at in Thailand would be laughable in the Golden State.

Let's be honest. There is no good Mexican food in Bangkok. Some places are better than others but even the better ones must be qualified by the statement "not bad for Thailand". None of them would still be open after a month in the West.

Does that include La Monita? I have not been to Bangkok since it became well known, but have always gotten the impression that it is something special and would at least be acceptable in California.

My favorite Mexican restaurant in Thailand is Miguel's in Chiang Mai and if I wandered into it in San Francisco, I would not be impressed, but I don't think that I would complain about it either. I just wouldn't go back. Every other Mexican restaurant I've eaten at in Thailand would be laughable in the Golden State.

I took a friend from Houston to La Monita and, while he said it was tasty and good, he reckoned that it was not quite authentic Tex Mex, limited by the lack of availability of authentic ingredients.

I am pretty sure that they are California style Mexican - which I love. Could it be that is different enough from Tex Mex to give the impression that it is not authentic? My experience with Mexican food is mostly limited to California, so I'm not sure how it is different from Tex Mex.

I am pretty sure that they are California style Mexican - which I love. Could it be that is different enough from Tex Mex to give the impression that it is not authentic? My experience with Mexican food is mostly limited to California, so I'm not sure how it is different from Tex Mex.

Possibly you are correct - I am very ignorant of the variances in regional takes on the food; I clearly need to do further investigation :)

There is definitely a big difference between Tex Mex and California Mex but we're not going to settle it here!

Evidence of how hot this topic can be:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/505569

I know I prefer California Mex.

When thinking about it, the first thing that comes to mind with Tex Mex is a large combo plate with LOTS of melted cheese in it.

Think: GUT BUSTER.

For me California Mex is actually closer to Mexican Mex (which of course has many regional differences as well within Mexico) but with more of an emphasis on healthier preparation methods.

In my opinion, California style is superior in the culinary department but that doesn't matter. Whatever you like, have it. The problem in Thailand is getting decent Mexican of ANY kind!

But like I said, it's a BIG topic.

La Monita would be the best Mexican in London.

La Monita would be the best Mexican in London.

I know that London has some great restaurants, but not sure about Mexican.

There is definitely a big difference between Tex Mex and California Mex but we're not going to settle it here!

Evidence of how hot this topic can be:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/505569

Thanks for the link. They are actually nice and polite to each other when arguing about food.There must not be any Thai Visa members on that forum. tongue.png

So does Bangkok UG...that's my point.

Did you ever try Miguel's in Chiang Mai? I'm guessing that La Monita would be better, but can not be sure without trying it.

I'm not in Chiang Mai that often UG...and when I want Western food there I go to Duke's...sorry! biggrin.png

There is no real good Mexican in the city. Senor Pico is the best I have had in town, but I would not eat there if I was in Texas. I do not like La Monita, but I am not really a Cal-Mex person. I am not really a Tex-Mex person either. Mex-Mex is my thing, and Senor Pico is the closest this city has...

• 3 months later...

A few days ago a group of us ate at margaritaville sukumwit 13. that night they actually had a chef from mexico. there were quite a few plates ordered. some were decent while others not so good. my frame of reference for mexican food is significant travel in mexico (spanish fluent). also eaten in san diego. not sure if affiliated, chef or owner, there was a western guy behind the counter that was morbidly obese. either he loves the food there a lot or is a poster child for big men enjoying life in thailand.

• 8 months later...

Last night between rain showers, daughter and I went to W Market. This is an open air market surrounded by shops selling food. It's sort of on the corner of Sukumvit and soi 71. Behind Sky Walk Condominum. There are shops selling hamburgers, pizza, sauages, Issan and Japanese dishes. Lots to choose from.

After we had already order Lasangna and spagetti from one stall, I noticed a new shop that said "Mexican food".

Of course being a lover of Taco's I had to go check it out. Now I'll tell you I have as of yet I have't eatten there, but I will this weekend.

The owner/chef is from Mexico City and he has a very nice menu. More border style than Mexico City. Tacos, burritoes, qusadillas, encaladas and the like.(forgive my spelling, but you get the idea)

The dishes can be made with beef ( hamburger I imagine) pork or chicken.

After I have had a chance to try the food I'll write a little about what I think.

Last night between rain showers, daughter and I went to W Market. This is an open air market surrounded by shops selling food. It's sort of on the corner of Sukumvit and soi 71. Behind Sky Walk Condominum. There are shops selling hamburgers, pizza, sauages, Issan and Japanese dishes. Lots to choose from.

After we had already order Lasangna and spagetti from one stall, I noticed a new shop that said "Mexican food".

Of course being a lover of Taco's I had to go check it out. Now I'll tell you I have as of yet I have't eatten there, but I will this weekend.

The owner/chef is from Mexico City and he has a very nice menu. More border style than Mexico City. Tacos, burritoes, qusadillas, encaladas and the like.(forgive my spelling, but you get the idea)

The dishes can be made with beef ( hamburger I imagine) pork or chicken.

After I have had a chance to try the food I'll write a little about what I think.

Behind W District.

Get some photos too please...I might check it out soon as well.

"New Cowboy" bar and restaurant in Suk 22 has excellent regular, and puffed taco's. Their burritos are horrible though.

Might just be me but I think you lost all credibility when you said "puffed" tacos. cowboy.gif (Pretending that's a guy in a sombrero.)

"New Cowboy" bar and restaurant in Suk 22 has excellent regular, and puffed taco's. Their burritos are horrible though.

Cowboy bar has the cheapest beer I've seen in a place like this. (70bt small Leo) Airconditioned. No girls to tell you how handsome you are, and a good menu.

The tacos are ok, that's all I can say.

Archived