Mexican restaurants Bangkok

SkyRider

Can anyone please recommend a good Mexican restaurant in Bangkok?

I live near Bearing BTS and don't want to have to travel too far, so any recommendations along the BTS or even the MRT would be appreciated.

(Please don't say Sunrise Tacos, I think the food there is terrible. I also tried Coyote and was very unimpressed. I'd love to have some real quaility Mexican food.)

Thank you.

La Monita ploenchit....by far the very best and I did not like mexican before, this place is great food.

Do not even think to rate it alongside sunset

La Monita looks very good.

Do they serve margaritas and or sangria? I don't see that on their menu.

If Sunrise Tacos is that outdoor restaurant between Sukhumvit Soi 10 & 12, then I agree it is the worst excuse for Mexican Food Possible. The only thing they managed to get right is a freezer that chills their Corona the way you find it in Mexico--so cold its got ice slivers. Coldest beer in BKK ;-)

La Monita ploenchit....by far the very best and I did not like mexican before, this place is great food.

Three pork carnitas cali tacos liberally doused in the hottest of their fresh salsas accompanied by two jugs of margarita each is the answer to your issue.

Occasionally an extra taco is needed....and more margarita.....but usually only if Rooo is in attendance.....

Charley Browns off soi 11 Nana BTS just past Cheap Charlie's. Staff well trained, polite;good English. Food is excellent. Margaritas are brilliant. Don't order the fiery chicken wings, they ARE fiery. Aircon. Mexican Hats for photo op.

Excellent place.

La Monita has an extensive margarita list, with various qualities of tequila offered, and various sizes (by the glass, or 2, 4 or, my favourite, 6-man pitcher).

As for sangria, I think that the place next door, El Ossito, can supply it because I understand that they are both owned by the same guy.

Best to book a table if you can - La Monita gets very busy.

Charley Browns off soi 11 Nana BTS just past Cheap Charlie's. Staff well trained, polite;good English. Food is excellent. Margaritas are brilliant. Don't order the fiery chicken wings, they ARE fiery. Aircon. Mexican Hats for photo op.

Excellent place.

have you tried la monita by comparison....as we live out of town, not so easy for us to just go and try.....when we come town we want to eat good and lamonita is great....soi 11 would be much more convenient however

Excellent place.

have you tried la monita by comparison....as we live out of town, not so easy for us to just go and try.....when we come town we want to eat good and lamonita is great....soi 11 would be much more convenient however

I ate only one time in Charlie Browns and never went back. By comparison, I have eaten numerous times in La Monita. In fairness, possibly I caught Charlie Browns on a bad night.

OP you're right, sunrise tacos is shocking. ate there once, big portion of soggy tasteless chicken quesadilia. never again.

some people rave about the place including one guy in particular who writes a thailand based blog. you have to think these people have never tasted real/decent mexican food.

Excellent place.

I ate only one time in Charlie Browns and never went back. By comparison, I have eaten numerous times in La Monita. In fairness, possibly I caught Charlie Browns on a bad night.

CB is ok if you like UK style slightly bland Mexican food. LA Monita is quality....no comparison.

Has anybody eaten at Senor Pico (Rembrandt Hotel) since it re-opened? I'm curious how it stacks up.

I ate there one time, maybe 6 months ago, so not sure if it is before or after the closure you are referring to.

My impression of it was that all was excellent - service, food, sangria, entertainment, I could not fault any of it, except... it is not Tex-Mex.

I am no aficionado, but I think that La Monita serves the US version whereas Senor Pico takes a more purist, truly Mexican approach, i.e. not smothered in cheese, sour cream, chilli etc. Personally, I prefer my food to be a bit more artery-challenging.

A little bit further afield El Mariachi on Srinakarin Road is outstanding... Mexican cook and authentic as anywhere I have eaten.. Charlie Browns doesn't even come close.. I would highly recommend... At the end of the month, they have a buffet as well which is always packed out

Has anybody eaten at Senor Pico (Rembrandt Hotel) since it re-opened? I'm curious how it stacks up.

I ate there one time, maybe 6 months ago, so not sure if it is before or after the closure you are referring to.

My impression of it was that all was excellent - service, food, sangria, entertainment, I could not fault any of it, except... it is not Tex-Mex.

I am no aficionado, but I think that La Monita serves the US version whereas Senor Pico takes a more purist, truly Mexican approach, i.e. not smothered in cheese, sour cream, chilli etc. Personally, I prefer my food to be a bit more artery-challenging.

If I remember correctly, the owner of La Monita is from San Diego, CA, so he knows Mexican food. Anyway, coming from CA, myself, I can tell you the taste is spot on. I don't go anywhere else. As for Charley's, that soi 11 place, their waiter did admit their claim to fame is their margaritas. Stay away from the food.

I thought that Tacos and Salsa at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 18 was much better than La Monita. That's just one opinion from one visit to each place.

Thanks for that - I never heard of it so will put it on my 'must try' list.

Extensively covered in this thread : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610050-where-to-get-good-mexican-food/

My two favourites are La Monita (Ploen Chit and Paragon) and El Mariachi Taqueria (Sri Nakharin), which is owned by the Mexican chef who helped to set up La Monita in the beginning.

Thank you for the previous extensive thread. I read all of it.

La monita seemed to be most peoples favorite, but then suddenly it started getting many bad reviews.

La Monita, El Mariachi, and Tacos & Salsa seem to be the top 3.

Which is best for quailty food, which is best for price, which is best for atmosphere? Is there not much difference?

Food quality is my priority, but if there is not much difference, then I would like to consider the price.

P.S. - Not to complicate this, but I am from America, and I like Mexican American more then I like Authentic Mexican. I've had Mexican food in Mexico, but I actually like it better in America. (And I don't mean taco bell! I mean great Mexican American restaurants. (Mexican American, would that be defined as Tex Mex?)

Extensively covered in this thread : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610050-where-to-get-good-mexican-food/

My two favourites are La Monita (Ploen Chit and Paragon) and El Mariachi Taqueria (Sri Nakharin), which is owned by the Mexican chef who helped to set up La Monita in the beginning.

La monita seemed to be most peoples favorite, but then suddenly it started getting many bad reviews.

Which is best for quailty food, which is best for price, which is best for atmosphere? Is there not much difference?

Food quality is my priority, but if there is not much difference, then I would like to consider the price.

P.S. - Not to complicate this, but I am from America, and I like Mexican American more then I like Authentic Mexican. I've had Mexican food in Mexico, but I actually like it better in America. (And I don't mean taco bell! I mean great Mexican American restaurants. (Mexican American, would that be defined as Tex Mex?)

If I were you I would try them all, including the Paragon mini-branch of La Monita's.

If I were you I would try them all, including the Paragon mini-branch of La Monita's.

I tried Tacos & Salsa. The guacamole was a little bland but ok. I've had worse nachos, but they weren't great, average at best. The beef taco was like a Thai taco, not a Mexican taco, the beef tasted like Thai beef and was difficult to chew. The cheese enchilada did not look like or taste like an enchilada, it tasted like salsa, it was terrible. I won't be going back. The price was not worth the value. I don't have high expectations that I will find very good Mexican food in Thailand, but I'll still try La Monita's and El Monita's.

I tried Tacos & Salsa. The guacamole was a little bland but ok. I've had worse nachos, but they weren't great, average at best. The beef taco was like a Thai taco, not a Mexican taco, the beef tasted like Thai beef and was difficult to chew. The cheese enchilada did not look like or taste like an enchilada, it tasted like salsa, it was terrible. I won't be going back. The price was not worth the value. I don't have high expectations that I will find very good Mexican food in Thailand, but I'll still try La Monita's and El Monita's.

Thanks for the heads up! Never been there myself. Be sure to tell us what you make of the other places. ;)

I'm not sure if the gorditas are a regular fixture at El Mariachi or not but they were good. I'd recommend asking when you're there. The Thai wife speaks fluent English and Spanish.

For good Mexican goto tesco and cook your own or take a trip to in Phnom phen.

I would cook my own Mexican food, if I had an oven. But I only have a burner. I rent a small room and I don't even have a microwave, but maybe I should get one, at least I could make nachos with a microwave. What other Mexican food can be cooked with a microwave?

I can make tacos with a burner - but do they even sell taco shells at Tesco? Do they sell everything that is needed to make enchilada's at Tesco? I haven't even seen taco shells sold there or at Big C.

For good Mexican goto tesco and cook your own or take a trip to in Phnom phen.

I would cook my own Mexican food, if I had an oven. But I only have a burner. I rent a small room and I don't even have a microwave, but maybe I should get one, at least I could make nachos with a microwave. What other Mexican food can be cooked with a microwave?

I can make tacos with a burner - but do they even sell taco shells at Tesco? Do they sell everything that is needed to make enchilada's at Tesco? I haven't even seen taco shells sold there or at Big C.

Try Villa or Foodland instead; in particular the branches on Sukhumvit.

Let's be honest. There is no good Mexican food in Bangkok. Some places are better than others but even the better ones must be qualified by the statement "not bad for Thailand". None of them would still be open after a month in the West.

Archived