British tourist, 46, beaten to death in Thai prison after being accused of stealing a moped

Lite Beer

The executing will be out on 50K baht bail very soon.

If he`s not already released.

Don;t forget the story about the Thai innmates winning prizes and their ways out from prision to beat farangs inmates in MUay Thai.

That guy killed a farang, so he MUST be out with a gold medal.

I am sick of Thailand , really...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll ask you the same question. Do you know anyone who has been put in a Thai jail never being guilty of anything? I don't mean the legal definition, I mean being falsely jailed?

I know of 8 people who paid for a ride to BKK in the back of a pick-up, who were all awarded 12 years each when a bag of drugs was found amongst the luggage. Strangely, a 9th person, the driver, was never charged. Under Thai law of simple possession all were guilty, but I would say with certainty that most, if not all 8, had done nothing wrong.

• Like 2

Im pretty sure you dont get in that prison without going to court and being found guilty first. Its not a remand prison. Thats not saying much because in court only the police evidence is heard and you dont get any representation. I would guess that he was killed because he was keeping the rest of the inmates awake at night. Its a killable offense in those jails and its difficult for the the wardens to do anything because its dark and theres a bunch of people involved and nobody is going to say who did it, and the wardens dont care anyway. I know they did put video cameras in the cells after a farang was killed for doing exactly this a few years ago. I would guess the cameras dont work or were covered up. I dont know the case and these are only guesses. I do know from meeting the guy that he was threatening and aggressive and if I was in a cell with him I personally would be have been relieved if someone put him out of action. I arent saying its right or wrong or that he deserved it.

Edited by slygeeza

I'm not one to rag on thai English language news for bad grammar, but w-t-f does a moped have to do with anything in this story?

These people have zero professioanl pride in their work.

Just the most inane bs you can imagine, daily.

The headline infers that the killer accused him of nicking his moped before jumping on him and killing him. That's the bad grammar argument.

Ignoring the poor grammar, it's not inane to include the crime he was accused of or to highlight the fact of what can happen in a Thai prison.

Motorbike theft is a crime that a foreigner is relatively likely to get caught up in, either completely or somewhat innocently or be it, entirely guiltily.

Motorbike rental companies are notoriously bad for making false accusations.

Ex-girlfriends who have had the bike bought for them and then stolen back off them by a foreigner often prosecute.

so no CCTV in prison, right ?

you can conclude that a lot of suicides here are masked murders by the accomplices of (ex)girlfriends wanting a big sum of money and cannot wait any longer

so no CCTV in prison, right ?

you can conclude that a lot of suicides here are masked murders by the accomplices of (ex)girlfriends wanting a big sum of money and cannot wait any longer

they did put in cctv after a farang was murdered a few years ago, but I have no idea if they work and the ceilings are low so they could easily be covered

It's a pity that a poster has reduced the thread to 'how can I phrase my insults' this time.

It would appear that the victim had proven a difficult inmate for others to live with - hence the deadly attack.

This does not justify it and it certainly doesn't justify the apparent cover up - it's a wonder that they didn't put it down to suicide.

It also seems that condemning the victim because he shouldn't have stolen the bike and landed in jail is rife. Maybe if he was driving a Ferrari and/or had plenty of dosh he wouldn't have seen the inside of the jail.

Death in custody is certainly not a Thai only problem but money talking (or not as in this case) and cover ups are certainly part of the local 'justice system'.

• Like 1

Please stop.

The main issue is not either he was guilty or not guilty of stealing a moped it is not criminal crime !

the main issue is even if he was actually guilty for stealing anything you can not have been murdered in a jail (above all beaten to death), it is a crime of awful murder

RIP.

• Like 2

its an awful murder sure, but if you start fights you sometimes come out worse and this guy went out of his way to start fights, I witnessed it several times, its all I ever witnessed with him in fact, fortunately mostly from a distance, he also had 25 previous convictions for 44 offenses which included assaults and public disorder so it seems this was pretty standard behavior.

Thai prisons should be changed, but they are what they are

Edited by slygeeza

It's a prison people, what do you expect, crochet classes and finger painting?

Prison Sentence for Stealing a Moped ..Is NOT a death sentence .

And to assume that a Prisioner gives up all rights on Conviction , and use this as Some form of " Excuse " is simply not Rational .

He was not provided the Duty of Care that he deserved ..Sorry ..Not acceptable Anywhere . The minute he goes in there his personal safety must be assured . Not good enough .

Thainess at it's best bah.gif

Its a prison not a church.

The nicest people do not really end up in prison, many are lifers and could not care less to kill someone over the silliest thing

Nothing to do with Thainess,, same all over the world.

Somehow I doubt that. It seems in Thailand it's very easy for a foreigner to end up in prison never being guilty of anything. Just imagine you are involved in a car accident not of your own fault and how things can turn against you in a hurry landing you in prison.

I'll ask you the same question. Do you know anyone who has been put in a Thai jail never being guilty of anything? I don't mean the legal definition, I mean being falsely jailed?

Often and on a Regular Basis .

• Like 2

Actually it does. From the Daily Mail article

Actually it doesn't say that.

Prison officials said that the injuries had been caused by Flanagan falling off a wall and into a drinking trough. It was later revealed that he had been attacked. A second, and fatal, assault occurred sometime after the embassy officials visit.

It is clear the article is very on sided down to them saying it was a moped even thought the news article they state of his arrest actually calls it a motorcycle as well as there putting in his denial of guilt but failing to mention he was video taped as well as there being no interview with Thai authorities.

No doubt it would appear a Thai official(s) at the prison botched this initially but so many things not clear such as if a Thai autopsy was done and why not. Dates are also not clear. It appears they are saying Thai Authorities didn't begin an investigation until Nov. 2013 but not sure anybody would be privy to when they began an investigation and this may have been when they made an arrest.

The only thing really clear is this guy stole a vehicle, got sent to jail, the thief appears to have been bothering other inmates and ended up in a wheelchair and which time a Thai Official or Guard at the prison said his injuries were from a fall. Later it appears he got into another altercation and died and at some point after this (likely 8-months), they got the criminal responsible for his death and got him to confess.

'On March 29, he was visited by embassy officials who discovered that he was in a wheelchair, heavily bruised and speaking incoherently.

Prison officials said that the injuries had been caused by Flanagan falling off a wall and into a drinking trough. It was later revealed that he had been attacked. A second, and fatal, assault occurred sometime after the embassy official’s visit.'

When I said 'slime' I was referring to the prison authorities.

You are repeating what I said in my post but my fault as I wasn't clear in what I was disputing -- the article is not really clear if the allegation of the fall was ever repeated after the visit (before he died) and who made the statement ... was it just some guard and not actually ever an official stance of Thai authorities who appear to never even have attempted to have been contacted for this article.

Also not clear is if they filed the charges against the killer in November or it is when they opened an investigation as the article / family claims. I somehow doubt the Thai police would give out information on when they started an investigation so am assuming the made the arrest 6-months ago.

The foreign autopsy occurred in April. Was that this April or last? If last it seems kind of fast considering he died sometime after March 29th and if last April why is this in the press now since authorities proceeded with the murder charges or Investigation 6-months ago and actual killing a year ago?

Slow news day?

Possibly the things you mention may cast doubt on whether there was a cover up attempted or not.

However, my money is that a cover up took place in an attempt to hide the fact this guy was murdered and the realisation that the fact he was foreign could bring about unwelcome, negative publicity about how the prison is being mismanaged was the reasoning behind this.

I could be wrong, but........

You certainly could be right but I just doubt there was any grand conspiracy or cover-up. They knew the body was going back home and going to be examined. If there was a cover up attempt then it was by low level people with clearly no knowledge of forensics investigations (like never even watching an episode of CSI) trying to protect their job.

I think it plausible some low level folks lied and their word was trusted but also find it just as plausible this article is completely biased leaving out facts and leaving an impression on many readers that would not be made if the story was told from all sides.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Im pretty sure you dont get in that prison without going to court and being found guilty first. Its not a remand prison.

looks like Im wrong about that, seems he was waiting for trial and couldnt pay the bail

It's a prison people, what do you expect, crochet classes and finger painting?

Prison Sentence for Stealing a Moped ..Is NOT a death sentence .

And to assume that a Prisioner gives up all rights on Conviction , and use this as Some form of " Excuse " is simply not Rational .

He was not provided the Duty of Care that he deserved ..Sorry ..Not acceptable Anywhere . The minute he goes in there his personal safety must be assured . Not good enough .

So many people die unjustly all over the world and there is just not enough resources to protect everyone but things do tend to improve over time even in the Thai jails but priorities need to be given to resources available and protecting innocent people from criminals needs to be a bigger priority than protecting criminals from criminals.

Yes, people shouldn't die in prisons out of violence but then again he stole the motorcycle and he acted up while in jail. So many other causes out there and people that need protecting than people who seem to want to write their own ticket to the afterlife.

The nicest people do not really end up in prison, many are lifers and could not care less to kill someone over the silliest thing

In fairness you can get put away for something deemed 'pretty trivial' and just warned or given a caution for back home. Many arrested here, nationals and foreigners alike, have to spend about 6 months or more behind bars before they even stand trial.

Edited by TallPalm

Not correct, many nice people enter prison as well due to illegal activity, and the lifers are not the only one killing fellow prisoners inside.

Prisons are full of convicted people and killings inside prisons do not occur often, and lifers can not be entirely blamed for this because any prisoner could do it - not just lifers.

Can someone please provide thsi forum with a single, 1st hand account, where someone 100% innocent has been thrown in jail. I know this happens everywhere in the world, but there is so much innuendo on this thread about the "stories" we've all heard ("just walking past an accident" kind of BS). I'm just asking that someone cite a real life example i.e You were there when your friend was arrested for a crime someone else committed etc.

The only times I have really heard it come up from a corrupt point regarding a farang, as opposed to mistakes that as you mention happen everywhere, is somebody trying to extort a farang for molesting their kid(s). But then again I cannot really recall any time this was proven and just was the defense of the accused and other farangs who didn't want to believe the case was true. Not sure about Thailand but in the US a huge majority of the prisoners are 100% innocent, just ask them wink.png

But seriously, the only times I have heard it come up is when their is some claim of extortion going on but cannot recall a single case where that claim was substantiated though I am sure it must have happened at some point, again as it does everywhere.

Really? The chap was "accused" not guilty. For all we know he could have been the victim of an angry girlfriend pointing the finger at him because she was pee'd off at him for some reason, yet you seem to condone it. What a tribute to humanity you are.

Oh..yeah, good story. And it happens all the time. Right? Just an angry girlfriend and you land in jail. I would say that was very unlikely.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK so let's assume he did steal the bike. He deserved to be beaten to death? Don't think so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

or maybe just dont pick a fight with 70 thai guys in a crowded room with no way out, or a plane full of passengers for that matter, which this guy had previously done jail time for

Edited by slygeeza
  • Like 1

Moral of the story. Don't be an idiot in Thailand. Don't break the law. Don't go to jail. Don't die in prison.

Thanks for reminding me to never darken your doors or to recommend your 'business' to anyone.

And how is that related? I am not sure what is your problem, this a sound piece of advice.

OK so let's assume he did steal the bike. He deserved to be beaten to death? Don't think so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where did you read that he deserved being beaten to death? Moral of the story still stays the same, do not go to Thai jail as you may not make it alive out of there.

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 2

or maybe just dont pick a fight with 70 thai guys in a crowded room with no way out, or a plane full of passengers for that matter, which this guy had previously done jail time for

Please can you provide link for plane incident...

(Not that I disbelieve you, but such accusations should be substantiated.)

Edited by Basil B

To all the 'World weary' expat' experts with 'inside knowledge & insight into anything & everything concerning Thailand, I would say rather than fantasise the hardships within Thai jails or any other jail, consider first the unlawful death of someone who was supposedly in their care.

Taking 8 months before initiating any reasonable investigation of events sends a clear message regarding the lack of professionalism within criminal institutions in Thailand and the total absence of respect for families of anyone unfortunate enough to get ' on the wrong side of Thai law.

Stealing a moped, whether intentionally or in alcohol fuelled 'high spirits , as may have been the case, doesn't automatically mean the subject deserves to be murdered while 'banged up' !

Try growing up and for once in your pathetic lives think about the victims family, friends & other who may have loved or cared about him. You're all so quick to 'stick the knife in' and free with your bad mouthing. I wonder if you really have balls or just like to 'sound off' from the safety of your bar stool.

R.I.P the victim and condolences to his family.

• Like 1

Moral of the story. Don't be an idiot in Thailand. Don't break the law. Don't go to jail. Don't die in prison.

Thanks for reminding me to never darken your doors or to recommend your 'business' to anyone.

And how is that related? I am not sure what is your problem, this a sound piece of advice.

You're a con man. What do you think he's saying.

Pattaya Pat. Walen School is all over Thailand now with thousands of satisfied customers and u still enjoy calling me a con man. Entertaining.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app