Homophobic Russian demand to edit out Austrian drag queen Eurovision performer rejected

And s/he won!

Speaking backstage later, Wurst said she felt Europe had taken a stand by voting her the winner.

"I dream of a world where we don't have to talk about unnecessary things like sexuality, who you love. I felt like tonight Europe showed that we are a community of respect and tolerance," she said.

(from the BBC)

• Like 2

Nice thought.

It's a dream though.

It's a EUROVISION dream.

EUROVISION of course has a huge gay following.

Look around the world.

In a number of countries things for gay people have recently gotten a lot WORSE.

I'm always amused that the Thais marketed the LOS product so aggressively to the Ruskies. Asians are not exactly welcome in Russia and Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, Bi folks are really out of luck.

But greed conquers all :)

It is a great statement by Eurovision. Congratulations to the winner.

How on earth would you edit the winner out of a competition?

They did want to edit him out before he'd won, not after, Scott!

One always suspects results of this kind of competition as politically biassed, but maybe he was just the best act on show. Congratulations indeed.

Sometimes being outrageous works! I just found him rather cute in an absurd sort of way.

"And yet, if you look at how the Russian public voted in the Eurovision final, a very different picture emerges.

Russian televoters loved Conchita Wurst and ranked her third. It seems the public is less outraged by a bearded lady than parliament thinks it ought to be.

Vitaly Milonov dismisses the results of the voting as "fake".

But even on Russian state TV's live post-Eurovision chat show, there were studio guests voicing support for the Austrian singer, expressing views not normally heard on state television.

"Why do we always have to look for someone to hate?" asked one member of the audience." (from the BBC link)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27404406

• Like 2

Careful with jumping to silly conclusions.

There are definitive objective studies showing Russia is indeed a massively homophobic country.

They also, more than most homophobic countries, have a tendency to EQUATE homosexuality with pederasty.

As far as Russian votes for the bearded lady, think about it a little bit, OK?

Eurovision is especially popular among gay people ... and one would presume gay friendly people.

Probably no different in Russia.

I don't appreciate trying to sell Russia as a gay friendly country. IT IS NOT. Doing so is like being an APOLOGIST for Putin. Putin is one the biggest ENEMIES of gay people on the entire planet. He deserves no apologies from gay people whatsoever. No he didn't exactly create the social atmosphere of homophobia in Russia, that was there already, but he has shamelessly and cynically EXPLOITED it for political purposes, making gays the main SCAPEGOAT, in similar ways that JEWS were scapegoated in Russia.

Edited by Jingthing

Politically opposing Putin, his aggression in Ukraine, his suppression of the free press in Russia, and the homophobic culture of Russia which he has exploited for his own political gain, does not meaning hating on Russia or all Russian people. Specific things about modern Russia, yes. Yes they have some dissidents and the ones who fighting against Putin like Pussy Riot deserve our full support and admiration.

For example one can oppose the gun culture and high incarceration rates in the USA, etc. without hating on the USA in its entirety or all of its people.

I realize some people are so irrationally anti-American that they make excuses for Putin, just because Putin has positioned himself as the leader of anti-Americanism in the world. That doesn't make any sense, especially if you are gay. Putin is really our enemy. Please wake up.

To add, I regret if my sincere and passionate detestation of Putin may be misinterpreted here as hating on everything Russia and all Russians because that is certainly not how I feel at all.

Edited by Jingthing

There are definitive objective studies showing Russia is indeed a massively homophobic country.

They also, more than most homophobic countries, have a tendency to EQUATE homosexuality with pederasty.

Eurovision is especially popular among gay people ... and one would presume gay friendly people.

I don't appreciate trying to sell Russia as a gay friendly country. IT IS NOT. Doing so is like being an APOLOGIST for Putin. Putin is one the biggest ENEMIES of gay people on the entire planet. He deserves no apologies from gay people whatsoever. No he didn't exactly create the social atmosphere of homophobia in Russia, that was there already, but he has shamelessly and cynically EXPLOITED it for political purposes, making gays the main SCAPEGOAT, in similar ways that JEWS were scapegoated in Russia.

Nobody is trying to sell Russia as a gay-friendly country.... or indeed to express hate for all things American (where did that one come from?).

Who is "jumping to silly conclusions"? I certainly haven't jumped to any. I didn't even express any opinions.

What I did, and I hope others would do, is pass on a link giving the other side of the question. It may only be a glint of white in a vastly black panorama, but it is there.

• Like 1

Nobody is trying to sell Russia as a gay-friendly country.... or indeed to express hate for all things American (where did that one come from?).

Who is "jumping to silly conclusions"? I certainly haven't jumped to any. I didn't even express any opinions.

What I did, and I hope others would do, is pass on a link giving the other side of the question. It may only be a glint of white in a vastly black panorama, but it is there.

Lest we forget the straights are called homophobes for speaking their mind and we're called anti US of A - sticks and stones. It's okay to call Putin a dictator but no slang for Bama.

Some things take time, I think most of us are quite happy in life and the basics our government(s) provide, if a country is behind the times I can't really be that bothered, the next generation can sort it out.

• Like 1

On a thread about the US call Obama what you like and see how it shakes out. Under Putin Russia's previous fragile democracy was crushed by his dictatorial strong man tactics. Dictator seems apt.

Of course he is a popular dictator. The Russkies seem to crave strong shirtless men. Not so popular with the Russian gays the target of his politically motivated scapegoating.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

You are making the same mistake I mentioned earlier. Russia is a big country, and in some regions there is homophobia, such as in the US. I will bet that the majority of the televoters where from the big cities like St. Petersburg and Moscow instead.

You are saying that all Russians are homophobic, and that's just polemic.

16 May 2014 Last updated at 16:01
Prove you're not Conchita_73556281_bylinewhite.jpgBy BBC TrendingWhat's popular and why13:49 UK time, Friday, 16 May 2014
_74908756_conchitawurst.jpg

In Russia, some men have been shaving their beards and posting clean shaven images online in protest at this year's Eurovision winner.

Austria's entry, Conchita Wurst, won the competition last weekend with the song 'Rise like a Phoenix'.

It's sparked a huge reaction on Russian social media with thousands both condemning and supporting the singer.

Anne-Marie Tomchak of #BBCtrending reports.

Clearly the official line, and probably the overall majority of Russians, are homophobic....but there seems to be a good bit of support on the other side.

Viva Conchita!

Ok

Perhaps this is a little off topic and to those TVers who are proudly in the groove, it may as well appear to be a tad naive as well:

I think homophobic a goofy word.

Just what does the term "homophobic" mean ?

It's as if some gay-pride firebrand needed a buzz word and this was the best he could come up with.

The corrupt etymology of "homophobic" attempts to polarize and politicize the sexual preference issue in much the same way gays cherry-picked the race card when they insinuated themselves into the multi-cultural argument and, co-opted the multi-cultural arguments of ethnic minorities.

Sorry, bit dishonest, that ;-)

"Homo" refers to "man" does it not ?

A person or culture that is "phobic" fears someone or something does it not ?

So the dreaded "homophobe" is some kind of dingleberry that fears men.

So in the wooly-headed lexicon of sexual preference street politics, like the words "racist" or "pedophile","homophobic" has become a kind of front-lines smear-word RPG.

Would a homophobic be a gay woman ?, an agoraphobe ? a coward ? . . . . . A recluse? Perhaps Boo Radley ?

Anyway, to paraphrase Chris Rock as it stands, it's a "f@cked up word"

I don't want a "usage" argument.

May I have an etymological clarification from some learned board-member ?

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

• Like 1

Ok

Perhaps this is a little off topic and to those TVers who are proudly in the groove, it may as well appear to be a tad naive as well:

I think homophobic a goofy word.

Just what does the term "homophobic" mean ?

It's as if some gay-pride firebrand needed a buzz word and this was the best he could come up with.

The corrupt etymology of "homophobic" attempts to polarize and politicize the sexual preference issue in much the same way gays cherry-picked the race card when they insinuated themselves into the multi-cultural argument and, co-opted the multi-cultural arguments of ethnic minorities.

Sorry, bit dishonest, that ;-)

"Homo" refers to "man" does it not ?

A person or culture that is "phobic" fears someone or something does it not ?

So the dreaded "homophobe" is some kind of dingleberry that fears men.

So in the wooly-headed lexicon of sexual preference street politics, like the words "racist" or "pedophile","homophobic" has become a kind of front-lines smear-word RPG.

Would a homophobic be a gay woman ?, an agoraphobe ? a coward ? . . . . . A recluse? Perhaps Boo Radley ?

Anyway, to paraphrase Chris Rock as it stands, it's a "f@cked up word"

I don't want a "usage" argument.

May I have an etymological clarification from some learned board-member ?

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

"Homo" means "same". As in same-sex relationship. It does not mean "man"; all human beings are "homo sapiens", including women.

A "phobia" is an unsubstantiated fear.

Does that answer your question?

This feud must stop. When Putin cuts of supplies of oil to Europe, there'll be a shortage of lubricants and all the gays will be sore then.

Russia delivers gas to Europe, not oil, and your unrelated reference to personal lubricants is not appreciated.

The ACTUAL definition of homophobia goes a bit beyond the implied meaning of the two root words -- homo and phobia.

In addition to FEAR of homosexuals, the meaning ALSO includes HATRED of homosexuals.

Fear and hatred are not the same thing.

The word can be used to express only fear, only hatred, or both.

In my view, the most common use of the word is referring the the HATRED part of the meaning.

This feud must stop. When Putin cuts of supplies of oil to Europe, there'll be a shortage of lubricants and all the gays will be sore then.

Russia delivers gas to Europe, not oil, and your unrelated reference to personal lubricants is not appreciated.

But only to be expected. Perhaps Joetheposter is worried there'll be no knuckle lubricant available for him.

• Like 1

The ACTUAL definition of homophobia goes a bit beyond the implied meaning of the two root words -- homo and phobia.

In addition to FEAR of homosexuals, the meaning ALSO includes HATRED of homosexuals.

In my view, the most common use of the word is referring the the HATRED part of the meaning. [/quote

Well I don't fear them at all.

I just don't give a damn about them as a group one way or another. And it's a bit presumptuous to assume that those of us who really couldn't care less about them would hate them unless we get into assigning blame for not giving a sh!t about them.

I don't hate gays I just don't care about them or their issues.

I care about other stuff.

This preference while not sexual is definitely not hateful.

It's a preference I have to not particularly give a damn about them.

Indifference is not hate.

And neither do I fear them.

I just do not give a sh!t about them.

Now if a gay person feels that he'll just die if he doesn't have my attention I suppose we could water board that situation into a hateful scenario.

Nope. Not gettin' fear so much as indifference.

So what's this "homophobe" nonsense all about ?

It's a politicization of sexuality.

Well. <deleted> that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Considering what the OP wrote about, isn't more about Government Censorship,

the Government controlling what we see and read rather then a uniquely 'Gay' subject.

I certainly acknowledge that, the most likely reason for the censorship/editing was directly

linked the issues around Russia and homosexuality.

Compare say, China and their government censorship compared to that of Russia's.

Neither of them being desirable.

So, if there is angst against Russia, shouldn't it be because their government censor things,

rather then they censor 'Gay' things?

I'm just trying to step back and see the larger viewpoint.

In my view, the most common use of the word is referring the the HATRED part of the meaning. [/quote

Well I don't fear them at all.

I just don't give a damn about them as a group one way or another. And it's a bit presumptuous to assume that those of us who really couldn't care less about them would hate them unless we get into assigning blame for not giving a sh!t about them.

I don't hate gays I just don't care about them or their issues.

I care about other stuff.

This preference while not sexual is definitely not hateful.

It's a preference I have to not particularly give a damn about them.

Indifference is not hate.

And neither do I fear them.

I just do not give a sh!t about them.

Now if a gay person feels that he'll just die if he doesn't have my attention I suppose we could water board that situation into a hateful scenario.

Nope. Not gettin' fear so much as indifference.

So what's this "homophobe" nonsense all about ?

It's a politicization of sexuality.

Well. <deleted> that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You're posting in the gay forum at the moment. If you don't give a shit about us why are you here? If you 'don't give a damn about them' don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. No-one forced you to post in here and we'd all be enormously grateful if you just farked off.