Earthquake epicentre found to be in Mae Lao

TREMOR
Earthquake epicentre found to be in Mae Lao
Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

CHIANG RAI: -- Investigators find more damage closer to Phayao fault; aftershocks getting weaker

The Department of Mineral Resources yesterday changed the epicentre of Monday's 6.3-magnitude earthquake in the North from Chiang Rai's Phan district to Mae Lao district.

This relocation of the epicentre comes after the department's team of experts surveyed the affected area over the past two days and found new evidence indicating that the epicentre was located in Mae Lao district's tambon Dong Ma Da.

Previously, the Thai Meteorological Department said the epicentre was in Phan district's tambon Sai Khao, though four days later the Department of Mineral Resources' team realised it was actually 20 kilometres away.

Phayao fault dormant

The Active Fault Research Unit's director Suwit Kosuwan, who led a survey team, said his team found roads in tambon Dong Ma Da cracked in several places, large amounts of mud rising from underground and many houses severely damaged.

Plus, this tambon is close to the Phayao active fault.

"Finding a new location of the epicentre has prompted us to renew the estimation of damages caused by the earthquake," he said.

Since the frequency and strength of the aftershocks had decreased, people whose houses had only been slightly damaged could return home.

However, people whose homes had been badly damaged should stay away, he advised.

At 3am yesterday, a 4-magnitude aftershock was felt in the area, though he said his team did not detect any activity in the Phayao fault.

Meanwhile, the Engineering Institute of Thailand found that at least 20 houses in tambon Dong Ma Da had been demolished by the earthquake.

Assoc Prof Penneung Warnit-chai, an earthquake expert at the Asian Institute of Technology, who was also part of the inspection team, said the damage incurred was low when compared with similar earthquakes in other countries. He added that the buildings that crumbled were built using soft materials.

However, he voiced concern about what might happen in Bangkok if there are any strong earthquakes nearby.

According to a study, he said about 10 of 1,400 buildings that are 20 to 30 storeys high could be at risk of collapsing in the capital.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-10

USGS originally reported the epicentre to be in Mae Lao....how come the DMR have only just "discovered" this??

Exactly what I was wondering...

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I read the above report several times and can only wonder is it porr reporting or poor issuances oPlus, this tambon is close to the Phayao active fault.f information or both - for eg.

From the article:

1. Plus, this tambon is close to the Phayao active fault.

2. Phayao fault dormant

3. At 3am yesterday, a 4-magnitude aftershock was felt in the area, though he said his team did not detect any activity in the Phayao fault.

Now we have a statement from an expert:(which makes the definition of "an expert is simply a drip under pressure " ring true)

.Assoc Prof Penneung Warnit-chai, an earthquake expert at the Asian Institute of Technology, who was also part of the inspection team, said the damage incurred was low when compared with similar earthquakes in other countries. He added that the buildings that crumbled were built using soft materials.

However, he voiced concern about what might happen in Bangkok if there are any strong earthquakes nearby.

According to a study, he said about 10 of 1,400 buildings that are 20 to 30 storeys high could be at risk of collapsing in the capital.

Honestly "soft materials rather than poor construction with inferior materials" - Bangkok nearby are we talking 20, 30, Kms or 120, 130 Kms - an absolute oxygen bandit. Finshed off by 10 out of 1400 buildings - I would love to read the study and see who conducted it.

All in all typical clap trap they could not even identify the epi center and when they did was it by science or simple maths which said "<deleted>" there are 20+ houses damaged here not like the village X Kms away where there was only 12 This must be it Somchai well done my son.

• Like 2

Is it normal to try to locate the epicentre by a visual-survey of damage at ground-level ? blink.png

I'd have thought that the level of earthquake-damage would be due to construction-standards/materials, or local geology (building on rock rather than sand) as well, rather than just whether the buildings stood directly above the epicentre.

I'd have thought that, with several proper earthquake-detection centres in Thailand, the government would have relied on triangulating their data instead ? There is for example an excellent detection-centre, run by the Royal Thai Navy, here in Chiang Mai ... my son's school-class were shown round it a couple-of-years ago.

Maybe this story just arises from a turf-war between the Thai Meteorological Department and the Department of Mineral Resources ?

...............According to a study, he said about 10 of 1,400 buildings that are 20 to 30 storeys high could be at risk of collapsing in the capital..........

and according to another study (mine)...I would say that (instead of just singling out 20 to 30 storey buildings)....99% of all buildings in BKK would suffer damage....ranging from total collapse.....to extensive damage (minus a total collapse)

Can anyone tell me the name of a building/apartment/condo/townhouse/bridge in Bangkok....that has been constructed to withstand a 6 or 7 Rich earthquake?

A post removed with link to Bangkok Post.

26) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

...............According to a study, he said about 10 of 1,400 buildings that are 20 to 30 storeys high could be at risk of collapsing in the capital..........

and according to another study (mine)...I would say that (instead of just singling out 20 to 30 storey buildings)....99% of all buildings in BKK would suffer damage....ranging from total collapse.....to extensive damage (minus a total collapse)

Can anyone tell me the name of a building/apartment/condo/townhouse/bridge in Bangkok....that has been constructed to withstand a 6 or 7 Rich earthquake?

Bangkok is a disaster waiting to happen if it was subject to an earthquake. Liquefaction could occur at levels below a 6 (RS) and the effects would be similar to the Mexico City quake (city was built on an old lake bed), Add to that building height effect the impact that a quake will have (it does not necessarily follow that it would be the taller buildings that were hit hardest).

I would rather be in a building built on rock, rather than unconsolidated water logged sediment that Bangkok is built on.

This was known within 15 minutes of the quake by the rest of the world. The Thais are just now figuring it out?

Sometimes, I really don't know what to say. I don't want to bash them, but they keep setting themselves up for a bashing time and time again.