Thai man owes my gf 9k. Rule n.o 1: never intervene in a thai dispute

ghworker2010

There are a lot of FNGs on this site so you should simply figure this one out for yourself. Most of the people here have not done much in Asia. BTW, B9000 is not much to a FNG from the west but it is a great deal to a working Thai, so overall not out of order. There are a number of reasons why your girl (many Thai girls) do not wish to make a fuss over money even in large amounts. Mostly it runs to the Thai cultural concepts like 'glang jai', etc which would take too long to get into here but you should be aware of these. Whether you should do it depends on your personality. If you like a bit of fun in espionage and trying to get back what is yours from a scumbag then go for it. Have some fun and I guarantee you will learn alot more about the Thais and outcomes here then the FNG's on this site that get their experience in bars and such. Don't be put off by the newby comments. Firstly, you absolutely can record a conversation and use it as evidence with the police (and other authorities as well, in fact, I suggest it) as you can with a video. Secondly, the Police will most certainly be very keen on this if the man makes some incriminating remark. KIV, this was a commercial transaction not a personal dispute. As a commercial transaction that would allow that fraud or theft could be involved, it all depends on the police the family get in front of at the time and of course, if that amount of money motivates them at that point. You have the right to make out a police complaint against any such activity and with audio evidence the police would probably consider some form of action. What precise sort of action is part of your learning curve here.

In bkk thesedays 9k is nothing but a drop in the ocean........and this girl is supposed to be from a wealthy family?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this for 9k? I spent that on food and wine last night.

Where do you eat ?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

9000 Baht debt.

Spending 10, 000 baht on various recording devices and numerous trips to and fro the dealership, numerous phone calls and plans between family ......... PRICELESS.

There's more than one way to skin a cat but how much is it going to cost you in the process? (read her).

Best of luck by the way but I was just sayin to throw an unemotional view into the mix. wink.png

Actually, it cost 2,000 not 10k and certainly not specifically purchased for this issue.

Its duly noted that my gf's father has what one might call high status in this community and thus I speculate that the police will believe the story beyond reasonable doubt.

I wonder if at the end of step 2 if the guy refuses to pay, her father could reveal the device and play back the first conversation. Then say to him if he doesnt pay up right now that they will go to the police. It might scare the guy and thus negate step 3 all together.

I know its not a lot of money but its the principle of the matter.

Imagine that your Thai g/f is visting your country a few months of the year, or has even recently started living there. She speaks none, or minimal of your language. You get a parking ticket that you disagree with ...do you think it would be appropriate, for your G/F to take over, work on the problem, write on Thai forums looking for advice from other Thais who live in Australia (or where ever you live)? You have your lifetime of experience in your country, understand everything, can speak with everybody and have an "important" family ....not that that matters in many of our home countries, but maybe you are from India, let's say?? Not Australia.

Next, you need a new driver's license, and she teaches you how to drive, how to pass the test, finds out what things you need to know and learn. And she takes you by the hand and handles everything?

Afterwards, you have fender-bender (again, in your home country) and she takes over the negotiation, deals with the police, the other victims, your insurance company, the hospital problems, etc.

Does that sound normal to you?

Why don't you do nothing, continue doing nothing and treat your g/f and her family as competent adults who know what they do, why they do it, and when they do it badly, they learn from it.

This whole thing shows farangs at their worse.

1. Interfering in Thai matters.

2. Thinking because you are farang you have the lucky key to solve this.

3. It's only 9k, even the OP can't be that skint.

4. A complete lack of understang where Thai affairs are concerned.

I will have no sympathy when the OP takes the inevitable good hiding that is coming to him.

what a daft comment. thaiberius might learn to read one day. Op said that he is going to remain anonymous at all times and not get involved. Thus why do you suggest he will get a hiding?? ha ha go back to your barstool thaiberius

Wise idea, don't show your face. Your girlfriend and family will know infinitely more about how to approach the police on this matter. Stay out of it and when all is said and done, it's not a fortune.

I agree 100%. Last year we purchased a new Nissan and I had to give the salesman 3,000 baht deposit. When I returned the plates he (the sales manager) told me it would be returned to our account. Never happened even after a few calls. Wife went after the sales manager and shortly after by magic, money was returned. Thai's know how to solve money issues