Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

Oh dear!

I'm just caught in the middle of it now.

I have a legit Non Immigrant 90 days Visa expiring this coming May 13th.

A few days ago I pre-paid for a Visa Run, to Ranong, this coming Monday May 12ve.

And actually I just need a minimum 7 days extension since circumstances made that I am leaving (for good) for another country this Saturday May 17th.

What should I do now?

a- Go to the Visa Run anyway and risk it.

b- Get my money back from the Visa Run company and drive my motorbike to immigration office in Phuket Town this Monday and beg for an extension

Anybody got real official information to suggest?

TKS

c-

Get your money back and pay the fine for overstay.

If you are really nervous about this, you can get a

paper from a doctor saying you have been too sick

to leave the country for a week, but you still have to

pay the fine.. ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Someone requested a translation of the Thai text include in the article. My (unofficial) translation follows as a public service.

แนวทางปฏิบัติของ สตม.ในการตรวจคนเข้าเมืองของบุคคลสัญชาติเป้าหมาย เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ มีดังนี้

In practice, the Office of Immigration, in checking persons entering the country, for persons nationalities such as Korean, etc., shall be thus:

1.ห้ามมิให้ด่านชายแดนมีการอนุญาต Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run เพื่อให้ได้รับสิทธิในการอยู่ในราชอาณาจักรต่อเนื่องที่มิใช่เหตุผลเพื่อการ ท่องเที่ยว

1. Immigration stations are not allowed to permit Visa run-type Out-Ins that are intended to get the right to live in the Kingdom continuously, that are not for purposes of tourism.

2.กรณีเดินทางโดยอากาศยานหากตรวจพบว่าอาจเป็นการ Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run ให้ว่ากล่าวและแนะนำให้ผู้นั้นดำเนินการขอ Visa ให้ถูกต้องตามวัตถุประสงค์ของการเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักร แล้วอนุโลมให้เข้า ตั้งแต่บัดนี้จนถึงวันที่ 12 ส.ค.57 โดยทำเครื่องหมาย O-I ไว้บริเวณรอยตราประทับ และหลังจากวันที่ 12 ส.ค.57 เป็นต้นไป หากเจ้าหน้าที่ตรวจพบเป็นการ Out-In ให้ปฏิเสธการเข้าเมืองผู้นั้น

2. In the case of travel through airports, if the agent discovers that it might be a Visa run-type Out-In, the agent shall comment and advise the traveler to request a visa by the proper procedure to enter the Kingdom, then allow the traveler to enter. From the present until 12 Aug 2557, issue seal type O-I in the traveler's passport. After 12 Aug 2557, if the agent discovers Out-In, deny entry to the traveler.

หมายเหตุ หากผู้ปฏิบัติมีข้อสงสัยหรือพบปัญหาติดต่อ พล.ต.ต.ชิษณุพงศ์ ยุกตะทัต หรือ พล.ต.ต.ณัฐธร เพราะสุนทร รอง ผบช.สตม. แล้วแต่กรณี

Comment: If the practicing agent has questions or encounters problems, contact Police General Chisanuphong Yooktatat or Police General Natatorn Phrawsoonthorn, commanders of Immigration, depending on the case.

Sounds pretty vague, and up to the judgement of the immigration agent on duty.

This might make airlines a bit more paranoid as they are responsible for any passenger they allow on a flight without a proper visa. For years I have been flying in from my home country for a two month stay without a visa. After 30 days I would fly to a nearby country, (Vietnam or Nepal usually) and then come back in on another 30 day visa exempt entry for the remainder. Last time i did this, I fortunately had gotten a two month tourist visa because Korean Airlines claimed they could not have permitted me on the flight without the visa as my return date on the ticket was greater than 30 days! Pain in the a$$! I guess I'll just get a visa from now on, which is $50 and time I'd rather spend on something else.

Mind you, I don't blame the Thai authorities, just all the deadbeats that have been swarming into Thailand over the past several years.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Someone requested a translation of the Thai text include in the article. My (unofficial) translation follows as a public service.

แนวทางปฏิบัติของ สตม.ในการตรวจคนเข้าเมืองของบุคคลสัญชาติเป้าหมาย เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ มีดังนี้

In practice, the Office of Immigration, in checking persons entering the country, for persons nationalities such as Korean, etc., shall be thus:

1.ห้ามมิให้ด่านชายแดนมีการอนุญาต Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run เพื่อให้ได้รับสิทธิในการอยู่ในราชอาณาจักรต่อเนื่องที่มิใช่เหตุผลเพื่อการ ท่องเที่ยว

1. Immigration stations are not allowed to permit Visa run-type Out-Ins that are intended to get the right to live in the Kingdom continuously, that are not for purposes of tourism.

2.กรณีเดินทางโดยอากาศยานหากตรวจพบว่าอาจเป็นการ Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run ให้ว่ากล่าวและแนะนำให้ผู้นั้นดำเนินการขอ Visa ให้ถูกต้องตามวัตถุประสงค์ของการเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักร แล้วอนุโลมให้เข้า ตั้งแต่บัดนี้จนถึงวันที่ 12 ส.ค.57 โดยทำเครื่องหมาย O-I ไว้บริเวณรอยตราประทับ และหลังจากวันที่ 12 ส.ค.57 เป็นต้นไป หากเจ้าหน้าที่ตรวจพบเป็นการ Out-In ให้ปฏิเสธการเข้าเมืองผู้นั้น

2. In the case of travel through airports, if the agent discovers that it might be a Visa run-type Out-In, the agent shall comment and advise the traveler to request a visa by the proper procedure to enter the Kingdom, then allow the traveler to enter. From the present until 12 Aug 2557, issue seal type O-I in the traveler's passport. After 12 Aug 2557, if the agent discovers Out-In, deny entry to the traveler.

หมายเหตุ หากผู้ปฏิบัติมีข้อสงสัยหรือพบปัญหาติดต่อ พล.ต.ต.ชิษณุพงศ์ ยุกตะทัต หรือ พล.ต.ต.ณัฐธร เพราะสุนทร รอง ผบช.สตม. แล้วแต่กรณี

Comment: If the practicing agent has questions or encounters problems, contact Police General Chisanuphong Yooktatat or Police General Natatorn Phrawsoonthorn, commanders of Immigration, depending on the case.

This might make airlines a bit more paranoid as they are responsible for any passenger they allow on a flight without a proper visa. For years I have been flying in from my home country for a two month stay without a visa. After 30 days I would fly to a nearby country, (Vietnam or Nepal usually) and then come back in on another 30 day visa exempt entry for the remainder. Last time i did this, I fortunately had gotten a two month tourist visa because Korean Airlines claimed they could not have permitted me on the flight without the visa as my return date on the ticket was greater than 30 days! Pain in the <deleted>! I guess I'll just get a visa from now on, which is $50 and time I'd rather spend on something else.

Mind you, I don't blame the Thai authorities, just all the deadbeats that have been swarming into Thailand over the past several years.

oh a new label...deadbeat. how wonderful of you.

Affects non deadbeats just as evenly.

Of course, I am a non deadbeat.

All the crap about these new tightening of existing regulations, to try and stop criminals ... as we know money can get you anything, rules notwithstanding, so the real criminals are unaffected by these new moves.

Thailand really mystifies as to how it likes to destroy its own tourism.... and I don't believe the majority of Thais hate farangs, as some here like to post. The ones who do are mostly rich Hi-So or those involved in the tourism industry ...who are jealous of our real or supposed wealth.

• Like 1

Tourists bring money to Thailand, what is the point of limiting their access? With tourism down due to political strife, it is a lousy time for the government to make it harder for visitors to inject their dollars and euros into the Thai economy.

Tourism in Thailand makes up about 6% of their economy. Some regions pretty depend on tourism while rest of country just don't care about it.

It's awesome that Thai laws about owning land and properties is terrible to aliens otherwise developed countries bought everything here.

If Thailand become not comfortable for long stay, there is bunch of countries around: malaysia, laos, cambodia, philippines.

"From today visitors can only enter into Thailand via a land border once, after that they will be refused entry to the Kingdom"

Can this be right?

If you are a tourist staying in Thailand and you make a trip to Siam Reap pop back, and then go to Laos for a couple of days, you won't be able to come back into the kingdom??????

How difficult is it to get a Tourist visa. And then you have no problem with this trip.

"From today visitors can only enter into Thailand via a land border once, after that they will be refused entry to the Kingdom"

Can this be right?

If you are a tourist staying in Thailand and you make a trip to Siam Reap pop back, and then go to Laos for a couple of days, you won't be able to come back into the kingdom??????

How difficult is it to get a Tourist visa. And then you have no problem with this trip.

I actively avoid going to countries where I need to send off my passport to get visas. For example China and India, I'm never going to these countries again due to their visa situations.

If they change the rules in the future I'll go, but until then they're off the list. I'm sure they don't care, but neither do I. There's plenty of other places to go.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

I applaud. Proposed a one week buffer between stays on this board years ago.

Now if we can only get a language test for the ED visa like Taiwan and serious health check for retirees and marrieds.

I'm very sympathetic to the mongers, not at all to illegal workers. Mongers at least have the dosh to afford a hovel and their drink.

Bye bye dive "instructor" idiots and illegal teachers (no degree). At your age did you really think this a viable career? Filipino teachers...These folks are headed home sure. Hopefully it will clean up.the teaching agencies as well.

Bye bye <50 "web developers" lol

For the various contributors to this forum, who are concerned about the increasing crime and ability for wanted criminals, gang members, mafia syndicates, credit card runners, child support dodgers to remain in Thailand…..then this should be welcome news for you!

I notice that many TV posters, say this is "Thailand is trying to destroy its tourism"?? these people who do multiple border runs are not tourists, they are basically illegitimate refugees here in Thailand. If they were genuine…..they would have genuine visas and a genuine reason to stay...

Land border runs for a variety of undesirables who are able to stay on indefinitely here….although you should beware that Thai Immigration are in the process of updating their airport entry systems with global interpol linked database systems…..so all persons with criminal records, unpaid child support, fake passports, unpaid credit cards in their home countries take note.

Systems are being fast tracked throughout asia, paid for by 'a foreign government' following the missing Malaysia airline jet and stolen passport issues that put a spotlight on Thailand yet again

Finally this will weed out all the undesirable characters who consider Thailand a safe haven…i hope they have enough for their flights home when they get pulled and don't have to spend time in immigration detention centers until a family member comes to their rescue, i hear they are pretty rough

If anything, this will only get more difficult to come into Thailand for foreigners who are not from ASEAN countries. In 2015, ASEAN nationals will be able to move more freely across the borders of every ASEAN country.

Who told you that nonsense.

No, when the AEC comes into force, ASEAN nationals will NOT be able to move freely across borders of every ASEAN country. They will need the same visas they need now.

ASEAN under the AEC is not like the EU in that capacity.

I never said "freely", I said "more freely." This means they will be able to move easier than they do now. Where before they were kept out, now their visas will come easier.

For the various contributors to this forum, who are concerned about the increasing crime and ability for wanted criminals, gang members, mafia syndicates, credit card runners, child support dodgers to remain in Thailand..then this should be welcome news for you!

If it is well implemented then I consider it a positive step no question about it.

Some one should go through and delete so many troll postings.

In the situation you get the good with the bad.

1. the philippine long stayers will turn to fixers for a while

2. there are some real and then there are fake backpackers

3. The criminals will sadly find away

4. yeah back to back (same day) runs not really a good thing it invites abuse of the system

5. this is for the under 50 crowd, 10 million baht is a steep amount to invest, Thailand is a good country to settle in currently. No I will not debate which area is best. Get in good with some friends get find some long time farangs that can explain the local way for you every town runs differently and you will find the best Visa solution for you all in due time. Ed Visas can extend up to 3 years, I will be getting a 1 year on my next trip.

Be smart stay safe and clean, Respect the Thai non-gov citizen maybe create your own next up and coming district

This might make airlines a bit more paranoid as they are responsible for any passenger they allow on a flight without a proper visa. For years I have been flying in from my home country for a two month stay without a visa. After 30 days I would fly to a nearby country, (Vietnam or Nepal usually) and then come back in on another 30 day visa exempt entry for the remainder. Last time i did this, I fortunately had gotten a two month tourist visa because Korean Airlines claimed they could not have permitted me on the flight without the visa as my return date on the ticket was greater than 30 days! Pain in the <deleted>! I guess I'll just get a visa from now on, which is $50 and time I'd rather spend on something else.

oh a new label...deadbeat. how wonderful of you.

Affects non deadbeats just as evenly.

Of course, I am a non deadbeat.

You should not be taking all these changes so personal

The funny thing is, I was about to apply for a non-imm visa when they changed the 15-day visa exempt stamp at land borders to 30 days for G7 countries so as I was not in a hurry I thought why not leave it a month or two while I sort some stuff out. Silly me.

10/05/2014 - From today, foreign nationals residing in Thailand via multiple back to back border run will no longer be able to exit and then re-enter the kingdom via a land border crossing in order to gain another 30 or 15 day stay in Thailand. Non-Immigrant Visa or Tourist visa holders with remaining entries on their visa can exit and enter Thailand as before.

http://www.chiangmaivisarun.com/chiang-mai-mae-sai-by-minibus/

These new changes may be good to stop some of the low life's who live here but it will also hurt some people who may not be over 50 and have been denied visas. Some have families or are teaching at schools which are too cheap to provide correct visas. My only real question with this is why so short a notice? Why not give a month notice so people can adjust their schedules and plan. It is typical Thai, inconsiderate !!!

10/05/2014 - From today, foreign nationals residing in Thailand via multiple back to back border run will no longer be able to exit and then re-enter the kingdom via a land border crossing in order to gain another 30 or 15 day stay in Thailand. Non-Immigrant Visa or Tourist visa holders with remaining entries on their visa can exit and enter Thailand as before.

No doubt that this order will affect all land border crossing but which land border crossing has this been confirmed at?

No doubt that this order will affect all land border crossing but which land border crossing has this been confirmed at?

Mae Sai: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725037-mae-sai-not-allowing-visa-runs-as-of-today/

Mae Sai: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725037-mae-sai-not-allowing-visa-runs-as-of-today/

Bad ansewer. As of of yesterday reports of Kanchanaburi and Aranyaprathet on other TV threads reporting no change.

For the MOD's. What land border crossing has this been confirmed for. Thanks.

how much time until next re-enter? 1 month? 3 months? 1 year? never?

• Like 1