Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are following the new rule again at Mae Sot today (12th).

Thanks for posting an actual on-the-ground report. thumbsup.gif

So what is Thai immigrations doing, advising people to not cross the border?

Turning people (without visa's) away trying to leave Thailand so you don't get stranded in Myanmar. I got told to either fly out or go to Vientiane embassy for a tourist visa.

Noted. Once again, thanks for the report!

Can anyone confirm this apples to all nationalities? Me and my girlfriend read this over and we don't understand why it says "เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ" and specifically singles out Korea. We just called the Chiang Mai immigration office and they said we still get 4 entires x 30 days without a valid visa AND on the 11th 9:00PM at Mae Sai I was given 30 days (tourist visa expired on the 13th) and was told in no uncertain terms we get 4 entires at 30 days each. I'm getting suspicious this doesn't apply to all nationalities or they're profiling certain countries.

That seems to be unclear. The directive says something like "targeted nationalities", without telling what these targeted nationalities are.

It never specially says all nationalities and I don't see where it mentions "targeted nationalities" (I don't see the word nationality repeated ever expect in the context of "Korea etc..." at the top). They did make it clear they are targeting visa runners however but I don't see where is places restrictions on certain kinds of visas etc... My Thai isn't great and there are words here I don't understand but it seems like this could apply to buying back to back visas. I'm going to make more calls and read this over with my girlfriend to make sure our reading is matching what people are saying here. Is the original poster Thai of fluent and did they translate this correctly for all of us?

Indeed the targeted nationalities part seems to be my mistake.

Another member gave a decent translation.

It does give Koreans as example, without explaining North or South Koreans which does make a difference.

But the first rule gives as intend is to stop In-and Out border runs. I take that as long term stays on visa exempt entries (and maybe even tourist visas). These kind of entries are meant for short visits, not a long stay.

A person visiting Asia and traveling around and visiting Thailand several times should not be effected. Try to enter Thailand several time in a row wihout staying in another country and you are affected.

• Like 1

So typical of the crap through which the rest of us are having to wade. A tourist visa is good for 60d, extendable by an additional 30d. Not 30d extendable by another 30d. That's per entry.

When you get a double-entry tourist visa, you may well only get a 90d validity window (dating from the issue date of the visa). If you get such a visa and such a 90d validity in a neighboring SE Asian country, and are able to therefore execute the first entry on the first day of the validity window, and then get the 30d extension, and then exit and return on the last day of the validity window, and finally get the 30d extension on the 2nd entry, then you can be in Thailand legally for a total of 180d (not 120d).

I'm not entirely clear on exactly where you can get triple-entry visas anymore (I believe UJ has mentioned Bali), but if your object is to remain in Thailand as long as possible on that single tourist visa, and the validity window is only going to be 90d, then I don't really see how useful the triple will actually be.

Correct, btw I got a triple entry visa at Manila 3 months ago (i am a uk citizen)

Interesting...

Any special requirements other than photos, cash, passport, etc.?? How many days did it take?

I lived there 18 years, but had left. Now between decisions and am in Thailand with a double entry. I would like to spend half a year in the PHilipppines and half here in Thailand. Will arrive in Manila during September/October. I had a resident "I" card that expired, but will now renew. Intend on Thailand just being a getaway ....enjoying neighboring countries as well.

Went to Embassy on a Monday morning, it was ready on Wednesday afternoon, in and out within 5 minutes. in addition to the normal requirements I alsoI wrote a letter explaining why I wanted a triple entry visa (just a basic itinerary and a few hotel booking confirmations for my initial 1st few weeks in Thailand), also showed copy of bank statement (online version) showing I had sufficient money, did not need to show any flight details (I had explained in the letter I would be exiting Thailand by land to Cambodia or Malaysia) very very easy.

Very thankful, sir. Good idea about the itinerary and proof of income.

It's not funny anymore though is it.

Thailand is a country with great potential but it is a complete mess politically and the immigration department is an embarrassing mess.

Investors are looking elsewhere, the neighbours are catching up fast and the future is gloomy.

I really feel embarrassed and sad for the good people of this country who are not ruining it with a sycophantic adoration of material affluence and financial gain.

I welcome written and spoken Thai language tests for ED visa at all embs and cons such as Taiwan.

Plus 5

Not all ED Visa Applicants intend to study Thai.

Many come to learn Muay Thai, Thai Massage and a dozen other things.

Patrick

Yes but even more come to just get the ED visa. And they are not intetested in the school/ study at all

Can anyone confirm this apples to all nationalities? Me and my girlfriend read this over and we don't understand why it says "เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ" and specifically singles out Korea. We just called the Chiang Mai immigration office and they said we still get 4 entires x 30 days without a valid visa AND on the 11th 9:00PM at Mae Sai I was given 30 days (tourist visa expired on the 13th) and was told in no uncertain terms we get 4 entires at 30 days each. I'm getting suspicious this doesn't apply to all nationalities or they're profiling certain countries.

I agree.. they are holding a trump card, posting the correct signs for certain countries, and perhaps doing the best they can (without looking fickle) for us guys...(I hope).

But at this point, I am taking no chances, getting that triple....I need an annual 3 month reality check annually. Triple it is, each year, at the consulate in PI.... 3 months out...9 in (3X entry with 3 extensions) . I think it's legal that way....correct?

I agree.. they are holding a trump card, posting the correct signs for certain countries, and perhaps doing the best they can (without looking fickle) for us guys...(I hope).

But at this point, I am taking no chances, getting that triple....I need an annual 3 month reality check annually. Triple it is, each year, at the consulate in PI.... 3 months out...9 in (3X entry with 3 extensions) . I think it's legal that way....correct?

1. Last I received a .2x tourist visa in Laos the validity was only 3 months which would make it possible only for 6 months (2x). Are they giving 6 month validity in some places? Slippery, where are you staying in PI and where are you doing the visa? Are they making it tough, or relatively easy process?

2. Has this crackdown been applied to those exiting to Laos for making a tourist visa? Or is it only the 30 day Mae Sai / Rayong deal? Please don't infer. Only if you know or have personal experience.

Edited by happysanook

Its all really only about money. This is a example of what it costs myself.

Malaysia Running:

1, Non-o visa single entry 220 ringit (2200 Baht)
2 , Non-o visa multiple entry 550 ringit (5500 Baht)
3, Border running 1100 Baht.

So if you do Non-o visa single entry you would pay roughly including getting to Penang,food,Hotel, 10,000 Baht per trip. So per year 40,000 baht.. (most people can get)

So if you do a Non-o year visa multiple entry 5500 Baht plus hotel,food,travel plus border crossing every 3 months 4400 Baht. Yearly roughly 20,000 Baht. (If you have/meet Requirements)

Border crossing 13.200 Baht a year.

me i try to save as much cash as possible on the visa story so what do you think i was doing?

Note:- No more Thai number plates to cross into Malaysia (No Minivans) plus now as if they don't make enough you gotta pay Thai immigration 20 Baht to go through. (Sadao)

The directive is nation wide, not isolated to only 2 border crossings.

You misunderstand the question. The original post is directed towards people going for 14/30 day stamps. Has anyone reported being stopped at nongkhai? Surely there would be reports of problems if there was some problem there. Hundreds of foreigners exit everyday there to make visas.

Also, I wonder how much of this is a self-fulfilled prophecy by thaivisa.com. For example if Thaivisa didn't make this such big news and report it to the world, it likely would never even come to pass. Forcing travellers to go out every 14-30 days or to make tourist visas a couple times a year is huge huge money. Billions of baht per year generated by the scheme.

Edited by happysanook

The new rule is so far not related to tourist visas. (It might be in regard to a visa exempt entry after a tourist visa)

Only a few days tihe new directive has been issued. Experience learns that it takes time for all border crossings to implement it. By the end of this week things should be more clear.

• Like 1

The directive is nation wide, not isolated to only 2 border crossings.

You misunderstand the question. The original post is directed towards people going for 14/30 day stamps. Has anyone reported being stopped at nongkhai? Surely there would be reports of problems if there was some problem there. Hundreds of foreigners exit everyday there to make visas.

Yes, correct, this is about back to back visa exempt entries. So this has no bearing on visa entries or visa applications.

• Like 1

Okay mario. thanks for keeping us updated man. This is indeed a big change if it comes to pass. I think people will just overstay and Thailand loses out on tons of money and business generated. So I don't see this lasting long. Either that or people will just go elsewhere and spend their money.

2. Has this crackdown been applied to those exiting to Laos for making a tourist visa? Or is it only the 30 day Mae Sai / Rayong deal? Please don't infer. Only if you know or have personal experience.

They will not stop you from leaving the country to get a tourist visa in Vientiane.

They only stopped people from leaving in Mae Sai and that is because they would be stuck on the other side of the border with no where to go,

It is not the same as crossings into Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia because you can travel within those countries to get a visa.

• Like 2

They will not stop you from leaving the country to get a tourist visa in Vientiane.

They only stopped people from leaving in Mae Sai and that is because they would be stuck on the other side of the border with no where to go,

It is not the same as crossings into Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia because you can travel within those countries to get a visa.

What if Vientiane did not give you visa? Someone could have too many TR in their opinion? Can you come back to Thailand in landborder, getting 15/30d stamp?

I've read through this thread, but none the wiser on my issue of concern.

You say they is nowhere to go in mai sai however, I've family that live just over the boarder. So if I'm in Thailand on a 30 day exemption I cannot visit my family and return without the need for a full tourist visa?

Surely travelling with a thai national across the boarder, with a return ticket booked back to the uk would be reason enough to see this was not a visa run, but a legitimate trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That seems to be unclear. The directive says something like "targeted nationalities", without telling what these targeted nationalities are.

It never specially says all nationalities and I don't see where it mentions "targeted nationalities" (I don't see the word nationality repeated ever expect in the context of "Korea etc..." at the top). They did make it clear they are targeting visa runners however but I don't see where is places restrictions on certain kinds of visas etc... My Thai isn't great and there are words here I don't understand but it seems like this could apply to buying back to back visas. I'm going to make more calls and read this over with my girlfriend to make sure our reading is matching what people are saying here. Is the original poster Thai of fluent and did they translate this correctly for all of us?

Indeed the targeted nationalities part seems to be my mistake.

Another member gave a decent translation.

It does give Koreans as example, without explaining North or South Koreans which does make a difference.

But the first rule gives as intend is to stop In-and Out border runs. I take that as long term stays on visa exempt entries (and maybe even tourist visas). These kind of entries are meant for short visits, not a long stay.

A person visiting Asia and traveling around and visiting Thailand several times should not be effected. Try to enter Thailand several time in a row wihout staying in another country and you are affected.

Certainly wouldn't be referring to North Koreans. If they're here, they're fleeing the regime and thus happy to be caught for illegal entry as South Korea takes them in after that. No North Koreans, after having been able to leave North Korea would come to Thailand as tourists - North Korea is not a country which exports tourists that are able and willing to return home - even those that have been found illegally in Thailand have gone on precarious journeys just to get here but have absolutely nothing to do with their visa running South Korean or other foreign counterparts.

Whenever a reference to Korea is made, it's almost always South Korea, who by the way can stay 90 days visa free in Thailand, a privelege I'm sure quite a few are likely to abuse and thus it doesn't surprise me that Thai immigration would single them out, although there are a lot of other nationalities that are also targets.

Those on visa exempt entries will be targeted. Individuals with a few tourist visas may find it harder to apply for future tourist visas, but in all likelihood if you have been granted a tourist visa you'll be permitted entry, with very few exceptions. That is not the case if you don't have a visa, for which entry or re-entry is not guaranteed.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I've read through this thread, but none the wiser on my issue of concern.

You say they is nowhere to go in mai sai however, I've family that live just over the boarder. So if I'm in Thailand on a 30 day exemption I cannot visit my family and return without the need for a full tourist visa?

Surely travelling with a thai national across the boarder, with a return ticket booked back to the uk would be reason enough to see this was not a visa run, but a legitimate trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I highly doubt you will have a problem. It's serial borders that will have a problem. Having some funds/documents like you do will certainly help. There is however, no need to volunteer anything UNLESS asked. Never do more than you are asked to do or show anything that you haven't been asked for. Follow instructions only and no more...so if you have those documents bring them along and only show them if you are questioned, which I highly doubt. Having a Thai national accompanying you may help only if you need someone to do some explaining in Thai to an immigration officer but otherwise isn't necessary.

If you look at the thread about a Russian woman refused re-entry at Phuket airport, she was a serial border/visa runner that was suspected of working illegally in Phuket in a dive shop. It's possible that someone tipped off the authorities and her possible previous overstay and especially her attitude and refusal to withdraw 20,000 THB cash to show the immigration officers may have resulted in her being put on the next flight to Malaysia, where she chose to go back to, after having just flown in from there.

Also, you could obtain a Myanmar visa to cross at Mae Sai, however I don't think that is necessary and would be a waste of time, money and a passport page if you entered on a Myanmar visa and didn't travel outside of the restricted eastern Shan state, which is all you can go to if you enter without a visa.

What if Vientiane did not give you visa? Someone could have too many TR in their opinion? Can you come back to Thailand in landborder, getting 15/30d stamp?

If they told you that they would not accept your application for a tourist visa and you told them you could not re-enter Thailand they would do a 30 day transit visa.

As far as getting a visa exempt entry that would depend upon how many you had already.

I returned from an overnight stay in Kuala Lumpur this morning (at Chiang Mai airport) and they are certainly asking more questions. I have made two previous visa-exempt entries in a row, prior to which I had a multi-entry non-imm 'o'. The immigration official noted that this time I had no visa and asked me when I was leaving the country. After I explained what I was doing, he said, OK, you have 30 days and stamped me in. (no I/O sticker or writing in my passport). They were not very patient with people who hadn't filled in the full address of where they were staying either.

• Like 1

1. Last I received a .2x tourist visa in Laos the validity was only 3 months which would make it possible only for 6 months (2x). Are they giving 6 month validity in some places? Slippery, where are you staying in PI and where are you doing the visa? Are they making it tough, or relatively easy process?

1. Correct...double entry with two extensions (2nd entry within 3 months)

2. Triple entry according to a previous poster is available in manila...read the early poster.

Then it would be 2 months and and extension for each entry... (9 month)

3. I fly into Clark on Tiger Air for usually less than 6000 Round Trip. I lived in Subic Bay.

The Thai consulate/embassy is in Manila....(again, the previous poster knows the address in Manila...but easy to look up.

4. I may ask around in Angeles City (Clark) at the agencies...if they have a service for obtaining the 3X visa in Manila. Perhaps somebody else knows this

5. I will not infer the expiration date of the 3X visa....only know logically that it is more than the double entry....and not a problem....as long as you check the expiration before your 2nd exit/3rd entry. The poster who just acquired his 3X visa has all that info.

If they told you that they would not accept your application for a tourist visa and you told them you could not re-enter Thailand they would do a 30 day transit visa.

As far as getting a visa exempt entry that would depend upon how many you had already.

"....they would do a 30 day transit visa"

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TRANSIT VISA (as on Thai Visa website)

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- One recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Instrument of means of transportation (confirmed air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht (per family)

- Visa of a third country in a passport or travel document

- Letter of invitation stating the application’s participation in sports activities in the Kingdom

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional document as deemed necessary

Maybe not so straight forward

From Vientiane website.http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

♦ Transit Visa

This type of visa is for applicant who wishes to enter the Kingdom of Thailand and travel in transit through the Kingdom to his/her country of origin or the third country of destination.

1. validity of visa is 90 days
2. visa fee is 800 Baht per entry per person
3. duration of stay permitted upon arrival is 30 days

Documents required - confirmed travel document or air ticket to the country of destination

I returned from an overnight stay in Kuala Lumpur this morning (at Chiang Mai airport) and they are certainly asking more questions. I have made two previous visa-exempt entries in a row, prior to which I had a multi-entry non-imm 'o'. The immigration official noted that this time I had no visa and asked me when I was leaving the country. After I explained what I was doing, he said, OK, you have 30 days and stamped me in. (no I/O sticker or writing in my passport). They were not very patient with people who hadn't filled in the full address of where they were staying either.

I'm not taking any chances when I fly down to Penang for a couple of days next month in order to get 30 days visa exempt. I'll keep lots of cash on me and make sure I carry my e-ticket with me showing that I leave the Kingdom and go to the UK 26 days later. I've not has a visa exempt since this time last year so it shouldn't be an issue but I think it is in my best interest to err on the side of extreme caution.

• Like 1

I'm not taking any chances when I fly down to Penang for a couple of days next month in order to get 30 days visa exempt. I'll keep lots of cash on me and make sure I carry my e-ticket with me showing that I leave the Kingdom and go to the UK 26 days later. I've not has a visa exempt since this time last year so it shouldn't be an issue but I think it is in my best interest to err on the side of extreme caution.

I thought exactly the same. I bought a one-way ticket to Rangoon before I came back and I had 20k in cash on me. They didn't ask to see proof of either but no point in taking any chances at the moment,

but wait.... if they refuse you entry on a land border because you have no visa, you can't turn around and re-enter the country you just came from without entering and exiting Thailand..... how's that going to work ?