Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but wait.... if they refuse you entry on a land border because you have no visa, you can't turn around and re-enter the country you just came from without entering and exiting Thailand..... how's that going to work ?

Sort of no man's land? But I suppose you just do turn around and have to pay another entry into the country you were trying to leave! (Because you just been stamped out, and got on a bus, and crossed no man's land to the Thai Immigration...and they tell you get back on the bus. Now, I am just guessing....you get off the bus at immigration of the other country...and they say you been already stamped out....so get your wallet ready, if you need another entry.

For years reading complaints about officials ,police not enforcing the laws they made ,they make a serious effort to start doing things by their book it gets even more complaining , love tv .

IMO it's a "reinterpretation" of the rule, if is the intent, nothing to do with merely enforcing an existing law. They are making it up again without any consideration for the chaos they are creating by not giving any warning period.

Why is ensuring that a visa-exempt entry be used only for the purpose of tourism not part of enforcing an existing law? What current law, ministerial regulation or other government rule allows the use of a visa-exempt permission to stay for purposes other than tourism?

• Like 1

Anyways...keep on posting it up.

One poster mentioned Immigration stays up late reading up on Thai Visa, so they can see what us crafty farang are up to....and then come up with new ideas.

Perhaps the sheer amount of confusion they see on TV will get them thinking that they are ahead of the game.....

Once that happens, we can open all the loopholes again....and abuse everything.

.....only said in jest....but really.....I hope they look at all these posts and realize that perhaps the system needs some adjustments, for clarity's sake.

Hoping for.....a more affable Retirement Option...

a lower age

a residency status

lowered mandatory bank balance

ease up on departures/reentry for the above.

my xmas wish...thanks in advance

Edited by slipperylobster

I've never considered anything I've done visa-wise to be an 'abuse of the system' or 'exploiting a loophole'. Thai immigration are not stupid. They only had to look at the queues at Aranyaprathet to see what people were doing. Up until now they have not been bothered by it (as far as I can see) and now they are.

"From today visitors can only enter into Thailand via a land border once, after that they will be refused entry to the Kingdom"

Can this be right?

If you are a tourist staying in Thailand and you make a trip to Siam Reap pop back, and then go to Laos for a couple of days, you won't be able to come back into the kingdom??????

How difficult is it to get a Tourist visa. And then you have no problem with this trip.
Thailand offers visitors from several countries a visa-less entry. Many people who come to the region use thailand as a hub for their travels. This form if entry therefore is very convenient.

If you buy a tourist visa, quite apart from the cost, it expires as soon as you leave regardless of how long you have stayed...so a one month stay in Thailand with excursions to Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia could become a very costly exercise not to mention the red tape and time spent arranging the visas.

You can have a re-entry permit and go out and in many times. There are multiple re-entry permits so you can use it many times. How can tourist afford a one month holiday in Thailand if he/she can't afford the cheap tourist visa?

I've never considered anything I've done visa-wise to be an 'abuse of the system' or 'exploiting a loophole'. Thai immigration are not stupid. They only had to look at the queues at Aranyaprathet to see what people were doing. Up until now they have not been bothered by it (as far as I can see) and now they are.

Apparently they were bothered by it, hence the new interpretation.

but wait.... if they refuse you entry on a land border because you have no visa, you can't turn around and re-enter the country you just came from without entering and exiting Thailand..... how's that going to work ?

Four possibilities:

- Cancellation of exit - same as if you go to catch a flight and it is cancelled (so your stay just keeps on counting) - land border this is the most likely solution.

- Re-entry if you are allowed to enter

- Entry with a grace period of a few days

- Locked up until you can be deported to a country that will accept you (at your cost - otherwise it could be a very long stay in lock-up).

Edited by cacruden

Apparently they were bothered by it, hence the new interpretation.

They are bothered by it now but they were not before, which is exactly what I wrote. Do you honestly think they have been unaware of the situation for the last few years (or more)?

Can anyone confirm this apples to all nationalities? Me and my girlfriend read this over and we don't understand why it says "เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ" and specifically singles out Korea. We just called the Chiang Mai immigration office and they said we still get 4 entires x 30 days without a valid visa AND on the 11th 9:00PM at Mae Sai I was given 30 days (tourist visa expired on the 13th) and was told in no uncertain terms we get 4 entires at 30 days each. I'm getting suspicious this doesn't apply to all nationalities or they're profiling certain countries.

I agree.. they are holding a trump card, posting the correct signs for certain countries, and perhaps doing the best they can (without looking fickle) for us guys...(I hope).

But at this point, I am taking no chances, getting that triple....I need an annual 3 month reality check annually. Triple it is, each year, at the consulate in PI.... 3 months out...9 in (3X entry with 3 extensions) . I think it's legal that way....correct?

1. Last I received a .2x tourist visa in Laos the validity was only 3 months which would make it possible only for 6 months (2x). Are they giving 6 month validity in some places? Slippery, where are you staying in PI and where are you doing the visa? Are they making it tough, or relatively easy process?

2. Has this crackdown been applied to those exiting to Laos for making a tourist visa? Or is it only the 30 day Mae Sai / Rayong deal? Please don't infer. Only if you know or have personal experience.

1. Correct...double entry with two extensions (2nd entry within 3 months)

2. Triple entry according to a previous poster is available in manila...read the early poster.

Then it would be 2 months and and extension for each entry... (9 month)

Correct, and the clock starts from the date you enter Thailand, not the date the visa was issued, so I will get 9 months in total.

2 months on arrival plus 1 month extension, then do a border bounce, and repeat = 9 months, then go spend 3 months back in Philippines and re apply for another triple entry. I did my 1st border bounce yesterday, I just politely said to the immigration officer, 60 days please and he just nodded his head and I my new stamp is now up to 9th July smile.png

3. I fly into Clark on Tiger Air for usually less than 6000 Round Trip. I lived in Subic Bay.

The Thai consulate/embassy is in Manila....(again, the previous poster knows the address in Manila...but easy to look up.

Thai Embassy is in Makati in a very nice area with good shopping malls and not far from the bars wink.png and as I said before, very efficient, I was in and out within 5 minutes. Very easy to get to, bus from Dau in Angeles to Makati (130 peso), Taxi to Embassy (50peso)

4. I may ask around in Angeles City (Clark) at the agencies...if they have a service for obtaining the 3X visa in Manila. Perhaps somebody else knows this

It's so easy to do yourself, no need

5. I will not infer the expiration date of the 3X visa....only know logically that it is more than the double entry....and not a problem....as long as you check the expiration before your 2nd exit/3rd entry. The poster who just acquired his 3X visa has all that info.

Edited by philthebook
  • Like 1

Regarding no. 5 above, you "infer" (that it's longer) but do not really know. 'Would like to hear from someone who's actually received a 3x tourist visa, RECENTLY, what length validity they actually received... And if more than 90d, whether or not they had to submit any extra documentation or air tickets to get it.

Thought I read on this thread or another that somebody was saying they got a 3x in Bali, but had to submit air tickets for each entry.

Correct, and the clock starts from the date you enter Thailand, not the date the visa was issued

Are you certain about that?

If the visa is valid for 3 or 6 months. It's from the day the visa was issued. Yoy can see the date on the visa

Correct, and the clock starts from the date you enter Thailand, not the date the visa was issued

Yep, looking at my passport now, visa was issued on 5th feb, I entered Thailand on 15th feb and visa stamp was dated 15th april = 2 months from date I arrive in Thailand, not the date the visa was issued

• Like 1

Yep, looking at my passport now, visa was issued on 5th feb, I entered Thailand on 15th feb and visa stamp was dated 15th april = 2 months from date I arrive in Thailand, not the date the visa was issued

It's the expiry date you should be looking it. You will get 170 out of the triple entry rather than 180 (ish)

[edit] before your final entry which will give you an additional 90.

Edited by notmyself

If the visa is valid for 3 or 6 months. It's from the day the visa was issued. Yoy can see the date on the visa

6 month visa

My apologies, I was referring to to 1st 60 days on arrival, visa was issued on 5 feb, my last entry into Thailand needs to be by 4th aug (visa states 'Enter before 4th Aug' at which point I can still stay another 3 months, so it will be just under 9 months but if you time it right you could get a full 9 months

Edited by philthebook
  • Like 1

Am I maybe right in assuming the Thai govt got a stern talking to from some of the powers-that-be in the world due to those two stolen passports that ended up on the MH370 Malaysian flight? Is that maybe why this is happening?

"You enjoy being our ally and friend? Well, let's have a chat about your immigration rules, to help ensure our friendship continues"???

Edited by Nautilus05

Am I maybe right in assuming the Thai govt got a stern talking to from some of the powers-that-be in the world due to those two stolen passports that ended up on the MH370 Malaysian flight? Is that maybe why this is happening?

Doubt it.

• Like 1

That's the 60 days you get when using the visa. But the visa expire 90 or 180 days from when it was issued. And you can't get as long time in Thailand if you wait with the first entry. You have lost 10 days.

What happend with Countries that doesnt need visa to enter to Thailand(Chile,Argentina,Brazil,etc).....Is it still possible for them to cross the border and comeback with another 90 days as usuall.....thanks for your help!

Edited by Rodespinola

But the visa expire 90 or 180 days from when it was issued. And you can't get as long time in Thailand if you wait with the first entry. You have lost 10 days.

It's actually 3/6 months rather than 90/180 days so depending on the months it covers (Feb is a bad month) you get a few days to play with. But sure, not as many as 10.

Made an account just for this. This is a particularly big problem for my Vietnamese fiance and I, from the USA. I can get a 1 year visa but we were planning on doing visa runs when she wasn't traveling back to Vietnam. We just got a home in Thailand because it was the easiest for both of us to have visas here before we get married. Now we don't know if we should stay here or if we need to find another country or go back to our home countries until we get married in a year or so.

I am not sure what we are going to do or how this will play out but I hope we can both get visa's here. We will find out Thursday if and how this affects us and we will report back.

Made an account just for this. This is a particularly big problem for my Vietnamese fiance and I, from the USA. I can get a 1 year visa but we were planning on doing visa runs when she wasn't traveling back to Vietnam. We just got a home in Thailand because it was the easiest for both of us to have visas here before we get married. Now we don't know if we should stay here or if we need to find another country or go back to our home countries until we get married in a year or so.

I am not sure what we are going to do or how this will play out but I hope we can both get visa's here. We will find out Thursday if and how this affects us and we will report back.

I don't know but the Mods will know and will no doubt be along shortly to advise.

Good luck BTW

Thank you. We are hoping for the best. We just spent 50,000THB on this place. If we can't stay here now it's likely we'll be forced to either Indonesia, Cambodia or Malaysia. We can both get visa's relatively easily there, but it's really quite terrible timing for us since we just paid all of this money for a place, we had planned on buying a hotel here and already have all the bank documents completed. Now we don't know if we can invest here or not for our future. This might be a minor inconvenience for some, but really is a life altering decision for us. My friend woke me up today and told me to read this thread and I instantly got sick. Like I said, we will report back.

But the visa expire 90 or 180 days from when it was issued. And you can't get as long time in Thailand if you wait with the first entry. You have lost 10 days.

It's actually 3/6 months rather than 90/180 days so depending on the months it covers (Feb is a bad month) you get a few days to play with. But sure, not as many as 10.

If he wait 10 days with his first trip to Thailand. Then he have lost 10 days. That's what he did

I don't know but the Mods will know and will no doubt be along shortly to advise.

Good luck BTW

Thank you. We are hoping for the best. We just spent 50,000THB on this place. If we can't stay here now it's likely we'll be forced to either Indonesia, Cambodia or Malaysia. We can both get visa's relatively easily there, but it's really quite terrible timing for us since we just paid all of this money for a place, we had planned on buying a hotel here and already have all the bank documents completed. Now we don't know if we can invest here or not for our future. This might be a minor inconvenience for some, but really is a life altering decision for us. My friend woke me up today and told me to read this thread and I instantly got sick. Like I said, we will report back.

Tourist visas should suffice I imagine but better to wait for a Mod with precise knowledge on the subject.

It depends upon what you mean by visa runs. If for a visa exempt entries the you will have a problem. If for new entries from a visa then it will change nothing.

What type of one year visa are you writing about?

Your fiance can get tourist visas.

If he wait 10 days with his first trip to Thailand. Then he have lost 10 days. That's what he did

Off the top of my head I think it will be 6 days lost. Lots of people get caught out trying to get their last entry after their visa has expired. They get 60+30 then 60+30 and only find out that their visa has expired when they try for a final entry only to find they are 6-10 days late.

I don't know but the Mods will know and will no doubt be along shortly to advise

Good luck BTW

Maybe an ED visa would be suitable for her? Thai language course or Massage course, then when you open a business maybe you can get her a work permit?

Good luck.

Edited by philthebook