Math mechanics of Thai banking crisis (1997)

I found this on Khan Academy whilst looking for lectures in Thai, I thought it might be of interest to some. I'm not suggesting one way or the other that there is another crisis looming. I spent too long working in the finance industry to be making any predictions. ;-)

https://www.khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain/macroeconomics/forex-trade-topic/currency-reserves/v/math-mechanics-of-thai-banking-crisis

• Like 1

I love these short videos of the Khanacademy. There is a variety of subjects discussed

Not sure if we are now in a comparable situation as in 1996 (and also do not want to do any predictions).

But anyhow, thanks ....

The economy over heated and bang went the Dems, lead by Khun chuang ,the Thai economy at that time was the leader in Asia 18% far out smarting China , when the Thatanic sank it took all of Asia with it , that's why the Thai banking system is so ridged, the recommendations from the IMF and government borrowings are subject to strict control , that the PTP some how circumvented or ignored , to try for the 2.2tn bht loan, the overhead rail system was one casualty , the investigation found one minister and family , had enough concrete to pour in this project ,to last three hundred years, so corruption isn't confined to the PTP

Borrowing overseas at interest rates lower than available in Thailand then tranferjng that money back to Thailand at an impossibly high exchange rate. Then investing that borrowed money in highly speculative ventures.

That would do it, especially when people start pulling their money out of Thailand and you use up all your foreign reserves to defend the thai baht. Baht went crash and all of a suddenly those cheap foreign loans weren't so cheap any more...

But if you want the maths, anything by Professor Peter Dixon of Monash university.