CRACKDOWN only affects SAME-DAY exit and return

Many seem confused by this.

If you want to go tour and legitimately visit Lao, Cambo, Burma, etc., this crackdown is not about you.

It only affects those who want to abuse the system by entering the neighboring country for 20 minutes and immediately returning to Thailand.

Those who are "stranded" at the border "not allowed to exit Thailand"; it's not true.

They can exit, they just can't turn around and come right back in.

Am I right ubonjoe?

~

Edited by Rooo
font
  • Like 2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well..the new notice leaves everything to the immigration officer to decide. e.g. if one go to mae sai or mae sot, the immigration there know that there is no way one can go further up aside from the small town. Whether one stay for a night or 13 nights,it makes no difference in their eyes. If they allow that, people will still abuse it by just spending a few nights and still able to extend their stays. Just hope to get better written rules instead of leaving one's stay in the hands of a human who can be grumpy because he/she never screw/get screw cheesy.gif

• Like 1

The rule is aimed at poeple who continuesly use a visa exempt entry to stay in Thailand long term. In that respect it is not relevant if you stay away from Thailand for 20 minutes or a couple of days.

It is not aimed at persons who tour arround Asia and enter Thailand several times in a row. But in that case you will have to convince the immigration official. Hopefully a intenarary/showing plane tickets will convince immigration you are a genuine tourist. How it will work out in practise is anybodies guess. Personally I would go for double entry tourist visas, just to be sure.

Will the new rule affect the many Laos & Cambodian (ASEAN) passport holders who currently get unlimited 30-day access at the border? Or are there separate rules for ASEAN citizens?

• Like 1

The rule is aimed at poeple who continuesly use a visa exempt entry to stay in Thailand long term. In that respect it is not relevant if you stay away from Thailand for 20 minutes or a couple of days.

It is not aimed at persons who tour arround Asia and enter Thailand several times in a row. But in that case you will have to convince the immigration official. Hopefully a intenarary/showing plane tickets will convince immigration you are a genuine tourist. How it will work out in practise is anybodies guess. Personally I would go for double entry tourist visas, just to be sure.

Will the new rule affect the many Laos & Cambodian (ASEAN) passport holders who currently get unlimited 30-day access at the border? Or are there separate rules for ASEAN citizens?

No seperate rules for them as far as i know.

But a large protion of them are only going for the day and come back, they do not stay permanently in Thailand and are not affected..

For migrant workers from 3 neighbouring countries different rules are in place, to allow them to stay.

whistling.gif No, not what you're saying.

Although this is a new and still developing situation the new rule is this:

• You enter Thailand on a visa exempt entry (right now it is only applicable to land entries) without getting a Thai visa.
  • You later exit Thailand by a land entry.
  • You stay in that other country for whatever period.
  • Now you attempt to enter Thailand again by a land entry with another visa exempt entry (again without a Thai visa).
  • Previously you would be allowed to enter with those back-to-back visa exempt entries.
  • But now under the new rules you will NOT be allowed to get two back-to-back visa exempt entries as you could do before this new rule.

I am NOT an expert and this is a new situation, but as I interpret the new rule, it is the fact that you entered one time into Thailand on a visa free (30 day no visa) entry and then attempted to re-enter Thailand on another back-to-back visa free (30 day no visa) entry that is now not allowed.

As I understand it that is irrelevant of how long you stay out of Thailand.

It's that back-to-back visa free entry thing that is now not allowed .... at least by land entries at this time.

As I understand it, you will need at least a tourist visa for at least one of those back-to-back entries now with this new ruling.

But again I am NOT an expert, and this is a new situation just starting.to develop.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

How many days will you get at a Thai land border without a visa?

Starting November 1st, 2013, if you enter Thailand via a land border and you are a citizen of the United States, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Japan or Canada (the G7 countries), you will receive an automatic 30 days in Thailand without the need for any visa.

If you are a citizen of Brazil, Chile, Peru, South Korea, or Argentina, you will fare even better as you'll be stamped into Thailand for 90 days. A citizen from most other countries, however, and you will be worse off, with only a 15 day stamp put into your passport.

How many times can you get 15, 30 or 90 days at a Thai land border?

According to the Thailand Immigration Bureau, the number of times you can cross a land border into Thailand and be given 15, 30 or 90 days in Thailand is now unlimited.

That means, if you are an American or British citizen, for instance, and you decide to do a visa run every month while traveling around Thailand, you can do so indefinitely. Years, it now seems.

SO all this has been changed already?

• Like 2

I have seen no indication that his change is in affect at any Thai/Cambodia Crossing.wink.png

The notification came from the head person at immigration.

You can be sure it will in time be applied at all border crossings.

• Like 2

I agree with Craig, "According to the Thailand Immigration Bureau, the number of times you can cross a land border into Thailand and be given 15, 30 or 90 days in Thailand is now unlimited."

Does anyone know when and why this was changed? Although this doesn't effect me as I'm now on non O retirement extension, I have done countless trips to the border in the past using the stamp out, stamp in, stamp out, stamp in procedure, all within minutes!

A few times I was asked by the Malay officials where I am going to which I just smiled and said straight back to Thailand...never never was this objected to by Malay or Thai immigration and NEVER was I told this was incorrect practise so always assumed it to be perfectly legal.

One more thought, how long do you think it will be before the financial requirement for Non O will be increased to say, 1 million or more? Going by this latest development, it could well happen.

A few times I was asked by the Malay officials where I am going to which I just smiled and said straight back to Thailand...never never was this objected to by Malay or Thai immigration and NEVER was I told this was incorrect practise so always assumed it to be perfectly legal.

It is perfectly legal... until it is not (e.g. an edict is issued by Bangkok, etc.)

• Like 1

It was only in November 2013 they relaxed the rules, (land crossing 30 days, from 15) and I thought it could be done 4 times, I was told.

Now, today, out of the blue, it's been made more strict.

??????

It was only in November 2013 they relaxed the rules, (land crossing 30 days, from 15) and I thought it could be done 4 times, I was told.

Now, today, out of the blue, it's been made more strict.

??????

One could argue that in November 2013 the rules were relaxed out of the blue. As I said above, something here is legal/illegal until it is not.

• Like 1

Update- 1st November 2013: Citizen from USA, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan arriving without visa will get 30 days of stay if they are arriving via a land border checkpoint from a neighbouring country.

However there is no limit on how many times you can enter on these 30/15 days visa exemption stamps.

Can anyone provide any links for the new rules, if they have indeed been changed........blink.png

• Like 1

The rule aim very poorly, as these people who do back-to-back visa exempt can still fly out and come back the same day.

What is so bad about people living here on an exempt visa? What toes have they steped on?

• Like 2

Just came back from Tha Khet I was asked if I was just doing a turn around also I don't know if its been mentioned before but Lao up the entry 100 bht (1500).Getting back

to the serial land boarder visa exempt crossings .I think changing the 15 day rule for visa exempt to 30 brought about a larger out pour of farangs Thailand sure does move in mysterious ways especially at immigration .

Update- 1st November 2013: Citizen from USA, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan arriving without visa will get 30 days of stay if they are arriving via a land border checkpoint from a neighbouring country.

However there is no limit on how many times you can enter on these 30/15 days visa exemption stamps.

Can anyone provide any links for the new rules, if they have indeed been changed........blink.png

Immigration announcement here http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=readmore&id=1895&section=notice

A translation was kindly provide by member LaurenceN in the 'Final Crackdown for border runners...' thread post #122.

Just came back from Tha Khet I was asked if I was just doing a turn around also I don't know if its been mentioned before but Lao up the entry 100 bht (1500).Getting back

to the serial land boarder visa exempt crossings .I think changing the 15 day rule for visa exempt to 30 brought about a larger out pour of farangs Thailand sure does move in mysterious ways especially at immigration .

On weekends they charge an extra 100 baht for overtime for the Lao visa.

Not everybody gets 30 day entries. The recent change is only for those from the G7 countries. Most countries still only get 15 days.

Let's say that I have just been on a border hop. I am now on a 30 day visa exempt entry.

I then go to immigration and extend by 60 days for reason of being married to a Thai lady.

Can I go out again? Technically speaking I have not had back to back entries.

How many days will you get at a Thai land border without a visa?

Starting November 1st, 2013, if you enter Thailand via a land border and you are a citizen of the United States, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Japan or Canada (the G7 countries), you will receive an automatic 30 days in Thailand without the need for any visa.

If you are a citizen of Brazil, Chile, Peru, South Korea, or Argentina, you will fare even better as you'll be stamped into Thailand for 90 days. A citizen from most other countries, however, and you will be worse off, with only a 15 day stamp put into your passport.

How many times can you get 15, 30 or 90 days at a Thai land border?

According to the Thailand Immigration Bureau, the number of times you can cross a land border into Thailand and be given 15, 30 or 90 days in Thailand is now unlimited.

That means, if you are an American or British citizen, for instance, and you decide to do a visa run every month while traveling around Thailand, you can do so indefinitely. Years, it now seems.

SO all this has been changed already?

The rudderless ship

Going by the back-to-back definition with no defined time out of the country, the other foreigners that will will be severely affected will be all those people living in Laos, Cambodia etc who make regular trips into Thailand for shopping etc. I am sure they won't be too happy to make visa applications to do a few hours shopping in Big C!

• Like 1

Going by the back-to-back definition with no defined time out of the country, the other foreigners that will will be severely affected will be all those people living in Laos, Cambodia etc who make regular trips into Thailand for shopping etc. I am sure they won't be too happy to make visa applications to do a few hours shopping in Big C!

I don't thing the new rule will effect them. They are doing the reverse of what the rule is trying to stop.

There are some people that make border hops from Laos to get new 30 day VOA's for their when they return.

Immigration announcement here http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=readmore&id=1895&section=notice

A translation was kindly provide by member LaurenceN in the 'Final Crackdown for border runners...' thread post #122.

Here’s my own translation, retaining inherent ambiguities. Clearly, much will remain up to the discretion of the imm. officer. Quoted terms are in English in the original, with no Thai clarification:

Immigration Dept guidelines for permitting entry to targeted foreign nationals (e.g. Koreans)

1. Entry shall be refused in case of "Out-In" in the form of a "Visa run" in order to extend the right to remain in the Kingdom for purposes other than tourism.

2. In case of travel by air, through August 12, 2014, if found to be "Out-In" in the form of a "Visa run", entry should be permitted after advising traveler to request a proper Visa in conformity to the purpose for entering the Kingdom; enter "O-I" in the area of the stamp. Following August 12, 2014, if immigration officer determines an attempted entry to be "Out-In", the officer shall refuse entry.

Note: [Contacts for immigration officials with questions or problems]

Edited by sae57
  • Like 1