Customs in Thailand

blossombkk

Hi,

I have ordered leather products for China. It's 2 leather clutch purses done especially for me.

Anyway, the declared cost was $30. When it got here they called me from customs and said I should pay 750 baht for customs and 150 baht for delivery.

Then' a few days later they said i should pay 792 baht, and forgot about the delivery.

My question: how can I find out what is the customs for these kind of products.

Why did i have to pay for delivery and later on it was dismissed. Is it all a nice trial to see how much they could get from a foreigner?

And if so how can I prevent it.

Next delivery of the sort will be of $750.

Thank you for taking the time

The imported duty "calculator" I have says 30% on imported leather products , so your duty should be about THB 300 or there about's and there may be other admin costs included, or seeing as you have imported 2, they may have charged you 30% on each + delivery and we are getting to close to the THB 750ish your being quoted.

Is the import of leather products free..no it isn't...

Thanks Soutpeel,

So my question is how can I know and check this when in my opinion it's wrong.

Now I have paid already, paid 792 baht for 960 baht. I am sure it included handling charge.

But next time it would be $750, that means $225 customs.

What happens if again they charge unreasonable price?

Thanks Soutpeel,

So my question is how can I know and check this when in my opinion it's wrong.

Now I have paid already, paid 792 baht for 960 baht. I am sure it included handling charge.

But next time it would be $750, that means $225 customs.

What happens if again they charge unreasonable price?

All you can do is ask why they are charging what they are charging and try and negotiate with them, either you or an agent

Customs departments the world over, not just Thailand, are a law unto themselves, and they have something you want, and have paid for (your goods) and they are very good at jerking people around, so all you can do is be nice and try and negotiate with them

On high ticket items, which will attract high import duties always better to get an agent to hand it for you, (not talking about DHL/FEDEX here), as they can usually negotiate better terms...but don't think this would be cost effective for you on a $750 order.

another way to save money on import duty, if the costs/size warrant it, is to get it delivered to Singapore, fly down pick the shipment up and hand carry back into Thailand, done that a few times over the years

The imported duty "calculator" I have says 30% on imported leather products , so your duty should be about THB 300 or there about's and there may be other admin costs included, or seeing as you have imported 2, they may have charged you 30% on each + delivery and we are getting to close to the THB 750ish your being quoted.

Is the import of leather products free..no it isn't...

An Importer pays Import Duty on the C.I.F. value - Cost, Insurance, plus Freight - and then on top of that he pays VAT.

Patrick

• Like 1

Customs here are like women, you will never understand them.

2 years ago I bout some Combat Boots from the USA (They make for awesome work boots) and got raped hardcore with import duties.

Roll on 2 years and I needed to buy another pair so braced myself for the same. this pair came through unscathed.... go figure.

Edited by Spoonman

So, give an address in Singapore, pick it up, and when I enter Thailand hope for the best?

Basically yes...the question you have to ask yourself is it worth doing that for a $750 shipment, when I have done it, I have picked up "equipment spares" worth $50k -$100k....fly down to Singapore with and "empty" suitcase ie "1 days" clothes/tooth brush etc as not to rouse suspicion of flying with an empty suitcase but big enough for the kit, put your stuff in your case, check in at Changi and fly back..

Could you get caught ?...possibly...its a chance you take, Over the years must have done this 10-12 times and never got stopped once..biggrin.png

• Like 1