Effect of back-to-back visa-run clampdown on teachers

Won't effect them as they'll probably just go into overstay.

Unfortunately many of the desperates and illegals who cannot get a proper job here but cannot face to leave may well decide to do so.

I hope they keep the 20k max overstay fine, price of a ticket home, and an extra 10-20k for anything else.

and that the max overstay fine isn't increased to 40, 50 or 100k baht.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

PattayaPhom, on 12 May 2014 - 09:59, said:

Isnt this the whole reason for the clampdown, stop people working illegally. If the option of a WP isnt there dont accept or continue the job.

I believe the reason given was that people who do visa runs so regularly are criminals.... go figure, of course this simply is not true, by hey, it's the way these people think.

Working ilegally constitutes breaking the law hence making the person a criminal and is exactly why there is the clampdown....unless of course you dont think working ilegally makes one a criminal

If anybody has anything to report on this, please let us know right away. The start of school is just around the corner.

I am just wondering if you can answer me a question please, I was offered a teaching position recently....I have an non o from the uk based on being married to a thai citizen...I went to sakhon nakhon immigration last week and I was told I must have a B visa to work....I keep reading you can work on an non o if married to a thai...the immigration said I couldn't work on my non o which is in my passport......any clues please...what is the legal requirement regarding on non o visa......thank you

The only place I had problems was Phuket, everywhere else have been issued a WP based from an original non 'O' or extension

can anyone tell me why the teaching pay is so crap in thailand ? my mate has been teaching in Korea, lives well, eats out most of the time & has still saved £30,000 in the 3 years he's been there & he had no teaching experience till doing his TEFL course.

I cant understand why anybody would keep doing border runs working as a teacher. I understand many schools dont want the hassles and expense of work permits, visas and of course the teachers council who seem to change the rules every five minutes. However, if you are prepared to put up with the crap of working illigally the best thing to do would be is to get a double entry tourist visa to start or if possible a non b. Go back to your school and start looking for a school that will do the right thing. The problem with working illigally is that the school has got you by the short and curlies and it only takes one phone call by someone at the school who doesnt like you and its history.

My first school were so slack that I ended up going to Laos getting first a non B, then a second non b and on the third trip the official demanded the director of the school ring him. This was enough for the school to finally get their act together and I got my work permit and visa.

I am now at a different school and I am pleased to say that this time they did everything correctly and promptly.

In regard to the issue of having a non o giving you the right to work, this seems to depend which province you are in. The rule seems to imply that you have a right to apply but doesnt say outright that you have a right to obtain one. My friend was denied one on a non O so he went to Laos and got a Non B returned and got his work permit. Every thing to do with applying to work legally at a school seems to be complicated including getting a non B. In Vientien they seem to scrutinise every document but in Savanket they just looked at the letter from the Department of Education, about 5 seconds flat.

Oh, goodness, a difficult dilemma.

A lot of teachers when they start, will have a visa on arrival from the airport. They will probably have been in Thailand for a time and will have made 1 or 2 border runs.

Depending on when they were interviewed and hired -- we do not have time to get the paperwork for the non-immigrant B ready for them before their visa (or visa exemption) runs out. We do have some who were interviewed early and have gotten the paperwork done, but they still have to go and get the visa. For most teachers, the paperwork needs to go to the Ministry of Education for approval first.

Maybe I should hang my credentials out again. Taught English for three years in the LOS prior to retiring. Unlike the kids coming in with a "walk-in", I've got the skills, experience, and a visa. And unlike the kids, I'm old enough to be their Dad...maybe even Grand Dad. Lmao. I'm sure the school officials will find some clueless English speakers (not necessarily NES) to risk overstays and working w/o permits for a shot at the distinction of teaching in a system that cares neither about them nor the quality of education. For the school administrators, It's about dotting the I's and crossing the T's; getting and maintaining funding; and maintaining your personal status as a hot-shot puyai.

I thing I'll stay retired. thumbsup.gif

can anyone tell me why the teaching pay is so crap in thailand ? my mate has been teaching in Korea, lives well, eats out most of the time & has still saved £30,000 in the 3 years he's been there & he had no teaching experience till doing his TEFL course.

OOOOOPS. I hear different things. With a TEFL alone: No chance !

Must be something to it, otherwise half of the ex- car mechanics, carpenters, brick-layers that call themselves "Native english teachers" here, would be working in S. Korea and visiting their Thai-Sweethearts on occasion.biggrin.png

Cheers.

There is no serious English teaching program here. The bar is pretty low.

The Earth, Moon, and Stars revolve around Pratet Thai. Lord only knows why the international business communities don't switch to Thai as the global language of Business. So until they do, the locals will go through the motions and obtain an English language certificate or diploma with precious little skill to back it up. Don't need quality teachers; a warm body from an English speaking country who will accept slave wages works just fine for them.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

can anyone tell me why the teaching pay is so crap in thailand ?

Desperadoes wiling to accept any thing?

Dutch and South Africans seem to be the worst, at least in Pattaya area. Is it that bad where they come from..S.A can understand by Holland must be pretty grim also. Get many looking for a 2 bed air con seaview apartment for 5k a month...few months later see them and they are staying in Somchais rooms at 3K for a fan room as their salary cant cover much else. Particulary this past month as term starts this week

Edited by PattayaPhom

Must be something to it, otherwise half of the ex- car mechanics, carpenters, brick-layers that call themselves "Native english teachers" here, would be working in S. Korea and visiting their Thai-Sweethearts on occasion.biggrin.png

Cheers.

I'd wager that being blonde, blue eyed, showered, shaved and smiling while being pleasant and easy to talk to is more important than things like qualifications.

Cheers.

I'd wager that being blonde, blue eyed, showered, shaved and smiling while being pleasant and easy to talk to is more important than things like qualifications.

Considering how loosely the industry is regulated, your statement is probably accurate and right on point.

Cheers.

Considering how loosely the industry is regulated, your statement is probably accurate and right on point.

"Considering how loosely the industry is regulated, your statement is probably accurate and right on point"

= For sure it reflects "Thai- Environment". To the best of my knowledge. in S. Korea "QUALIFICATIONS" are the key to truly good-paying teaching-jobs.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers.

If anyone wants to WORK in Thailand he/she needs a WORK permit. Seems pretty obvious to me. I have worked in foreign countries most of my life and have never done so without a work permit so I can't see how the teachers or so-called teachers in Thailand should be any different.

can anyone tell me why the teaching pay is so crap in thailand ?

Desperadoes wiling to accept any thing?

The answer (at least for private schools) is that they view education as a business. Meetings usually revolve around how to increase profits. Classrooms are bare-bones while the parking lots are full of luxury cars.

But taking this tangent a bit further, this might give those of us who are here on proper paperwork a better bargaining chip when hashing out salaries and contracts. My school can't find a replacement NES to teach some of the technical subjects (programming, networking, etc) and it's probably because they don't want to pay more than 30K. Teaching C++ and networking damn well ought to pay at least 40K if not higher. With two weeks left until the start of the term, I wonder what they'll do.

• Like 1