compare Thailand to Malaysia for expat life?

:))

I have lived in Thailand for a total of about 10 years. Just moved to Hat Yai but just staying with a friend for the time being. I came to Penang to get a visa, and have been here for quite a few more days than I'd originally thought. And really enjoying it ... again. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy this place. I just read the thread about Ipoh being a cheap place to retire, and the posts by people who say it's too crowded. All in all, there are lots of things I like here. Feels sort of like I felt when I first went to Chiang Mai about 15 years ago.

Just would like to read comments from people who've lived in Malaysia only, or both countries, to see what you think of / thought of living in Malaysia as an expat. Penang in particular, but any comments at all about Malaysia are welcome.

I'm 50 years old and don't have nearly enough money to qualify for even Thailand's retirement visa, so there's no way I can afford the MM2H deal. Also, wondering if anyone knows anything about foreigners farming in Malaysia. ... farm work is a passion of mine.

Any experience with Malaysian ladies? They seem less interested in foreign guys than Thai women seem, and in a way I really like that.

I was talking with a Brit a few days ago who's been coming for 20 years. Fun to talk with. He told me about what he calls, "creeping Islam", what another person called "Islamification" of the country. The first guy talked about how Sharia law is law in two states and people in other states want to make it law in their states. He says that in years past, the government could be aptly called a kleptocracy. I might be mistaken about this, but I think he characterized the current government as extreme Muslims, bent on implementing Sharia law. We talked for a good 10 or so minutes ... very entertaining guy.

He said there is a coffee shop called Green House, near Jalan Penang that is run by Aussies and that they'd be real good to talk with about expat life here, but I haven't found the shop, can't find anyone who knows of the place, and can't find a coffee shop by that name on the internet. Also, someone today told me of a hotel where, he says, there are lots of long term foreigners. Haven't yet had the time to go and chat it up with anyone.

Of course I'm doing my own research, and asking others for their opinions is part of it.

Thanks much.

I spent a lot of time in Penang some years ago and I really liked it then - 20 to 30 years ago!

I went there a couple of years ago on a visa run from Thailand and stayed 4 nights. I didn't really like it - I was amazed at the number of condo complexes that have shot up e.g. along the length of Gurney Drive. In Georgetown around the Hotel Malaysia (where I stayed) there were a lot of druggies, TVs and generally unsavoury characters. I also felt that in general the people were not quite as friendly as before.

Maybe I was just expecting too much from Penang in comparison to the past.

Regarding Islamisation well it's true that Malaysia is a muslim country but because of the huge number of Chinese and Indians in the country it is almost a minority religion especially in the Penang and Straits of Malacca areas of Peninsula Malaysia. I have lost touch with Malaysian politics over the years but I would be very surprised if the government would allow anything like sharia law in the country. They may permit local muslim practices in areas like the East Coast but the bigger picture is that it doesn't really want to jeopardise its relationship with the West.

Great post OP, I'm interested to know the answers to some of these same questions. I think Malaysia has a lot to offer, and being a commonwealth country, feels somewhat familiar to me in a way that Thailand never will (the Islam thing notwithstanding). Certainly English is more widespread which is a big plus.

As far as the ladies are concerned, they're not great lookers. But then I don't see the attraction with Thai birds either. I'm living in China at the moment and there's no contest, especially if you're a leg man, China wins hands down.

Surely Penang would be a nicer place to live than Hat Yai. For starters, every now and then Hat Yai is subject to a bombing or two, perpetrated by southern separatists. In fact, wasn't it just last week that Hat Yai police station was targeted? So I would say Hat Yai is OK for passing through, not to linger.

Secondly, Penang is next to the beach and is a melange of cultures - mostly ethnic Chinese, but with Malay, Indian and Eurasian elements thrown in as well. The food is great, the beaches nice and there are plenty of shopping centers. Thailand is nice too, but somewhere other than Hat Yai, which is just a boring dusty town with nothing much to do (except going to the mall) and isn't all that safe either unfortunately.

Great post OP, I'm interested to know the answers to some of these same questions. I think Malaysia has a lot to offer, and being a commonwealth country, feels somewhat familiar to me in a way that Thailand never will (the Islam thing notwithstanding). Certainly English is more widespread which is a big plus.

As far as the ladies are concerned, they're not great lookers. But then I don't see the attraction with Thai birds either. I'm living in China at the moment and there's no contest, especially if you're a leg man, China wins hands down.

Sure. However, if the OP is currently in Hat Yai, he'll find Hat Yai is no less "Islamic" than Penang. In fact, I'm almost certain that Hat yai is majority Islamic and you'll have to search hard for a Buddhist Wat. However, there's nothing wrong with that - Malaysia is very safe and they respect all cultures and religions, unfortunately far southern Thailand (including Hat Yai) is not so safe.

I agree that China has some awesome women. I have lived there too and will be moving back for a new job fairly soon.

Sure. However, if the OP is currently in Hat Yai, he'll find Hat Yai is no less "Islamic" than Penang. In fact, I'm almost certain that Hat yai is majority Islamic and you'll have to search hard for a Buddhist Wat.

Plenty of Buddhist Wats in Hat Yai. What makes you think otherwise?

Sure. However, if the OP is currently in Hat Yai, he'll find Hat Yai is no less "Islamic" than Penang. In fact, I'm almost certain that Hat yai is majority Islamic and you'll have to search hard for a Buddhist Wat.

The fact that Hat Yai is predominantly Islamic. Just for reference, even much further north in Krabi or rural Ranong, far more mosques than Wats. Wats were hard to find and generally not found on the main road.

The fact that Hat Yai is predominantly Islamic. Just for reference, even much further north in Krabi or rural Ranong, far more mosques than Wats. Wats were hard to find and generally not found on the main road.

Why do you think Hat Yai is predominantly Islamic? There is a significant Muslim population, but the city isn't "predominantly Islamic" by any stretch of the imagination.

Now this is more like it! More replies here ... Thanks Thanyaburi Mac wai.gif And, I did Google Green House Penang but didn't find a coffee shop. No problem. I've been told of another place to go to find expats living here long term. Hotel Noble, here in Georgetown.

The longer I'm here the more places and things I find that I like.

I like that there are Muslims in South Thailand. More diversity for the senses! So I really like that about Penang! A melange of cultures is right. But you know, I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, and I don't think I've seen a city anywhere on earth as diverse as SF. Yet, I don't want to live in the US anymore.

And yeah, I agree, there are lots of temples in Hat Yai.

One thing I haven't yet come across is information on setting up a business in Malaysia. Still haven't done much investigation but I'll get to it. I read people on TV complaining about doing business in LOS ... they're surely not Smiling when they type those complaints! giggle.gif