Snake in driveway tonight

BillyBobThai

My dog was barking like crazy tonight, 23:00. This snake was passing thru my spokes on my motorcycle.

One of my cats has been missing for the past 4/5 days. It must have been comming back for more. I did what I always do to snakes, sent it to snake heaven. This is a picture from wikipedia. The second pic is mine.

AB_056_Banded_Krait.JPG

post-72604-0-27318400-1399828381_thumb.j

Edited by BillyBobThai
  • Like 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Editted...

Though at first a Loation Wolf Snake, but banding is a bit close - maybe a banded krait (one at the top - http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_poisonous.html )

http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_bungarus.html Would not have eaten the cat though - too big - might have bitten it, but then a body would be about. If it was a female, it may have eggs near by - you will probably find out over summer :0

250px-AB_054_Banded_Krait.JPG

Family: Elapidae (Elapids)
Subfamily: Bungarinae
Genus: Bungarus (Kraits)

Bungarus fasciatus (Banded Krait)
Thai: ThaiSnakeName-59.gif(ngu sam laem, ngu kan plong)

Length: up to 150 cm (some authors have reported a maximum length of 200 cm)

Distribution: Throughout Thailand

Habitat/behaviour:
The banded krait is found predominantly in flat and hilly country. However these snakes have also been discovered at heights of 2300 meters. The snakes inhabit open areas, fields, grass landscapes and forests. They are in close proximity to waters quite frequently. Several times I have also found these animals in areas in the south of Thailand, where there was no water for several hundred meters in any direction. The snakes avoid sunlight. If they are exposed to the sun, they thrash around and hide their head under the body loops or try to flee to a dark place. Animals I had found during the day were without exception in damp and cool hiding places, for example under dead fallen down trees, in rotting stumps, or under stones. During the day, the banded kraits are extremely lethargic; so lethargic that bare handed demonstrators on snake farms can even take them out of hiding and display them to the public. According to statistics, however, 50% of bite accidents from this type of snake occur during the day. The predominant food of these snakes is other snakes. In addition, lizards, and rodents are eaten. Fish may also be a part of the diet. These snakes are active at night.

The mating season for this subspecies is in the months of March and April. About 2 months after mating, the female lays 4 to 14 eggs. The females remain with the clutch of eggs until the young animals have hatched. Contrary to pythons these snakes do not “incubate†the eggs but only guard them. The incubation period of the eggs amounts to between 60 and 64 days. The new born animals are between 32 and 34 centimetres long.

Danger:
With regard to toxicity, the venomous of bungarus fasciatus is said to be less effective than the other kraits. This consideration is relative, because reports exist that after the bite of a banded krait death can occur after just 30 minutes. In another documented case, without administration of serum, the bite victim died after only 15 hours.

Edited by wolf5370

Had one of these that kept trying to get through my sliding glass front door. I wasn't sure that it was poisonous or not. Fortunately there are plenty of pythons and monitor lizards around to keep the small snake population down. I live near Seacon Square Bangkok so it is amazing how much wildlife is still around despite all the housing that has been built.

I had exactly the same snake went past my back door a few weeks ago. I invited it in to watch the Thai Soap Operas on Channel 3/ 7 and you should have seen it run, and never been near my place again. good tactic. Try it. It works!

So does a beheading whistling.gif

• Like 2

What came first...your garden or the jungle ?

If they bought the land everyone or everything becomes trespassers unless invited.

No different to a beware of the dog sign....enter at own risk.

Yes I know snakes can't read.

• Like 2

Yup...that's was a banded krait alrighty...since you have kids your dispatching of it

was in accordance with a good safe family life as they are deadly. Then again,

if you have the desire, you can learn about the venomous snakes of LOS and

how to apprehend them with minimal stress to yourself and the snake, then

remove them to a safe distance away from your home and let them free in the

wild. All it takes is a snake tong, an empty 50 kilo rice sack and the knowledge

of how to safely capture said venomous snake. Don't ever try to catch it "John

Wayne" style (with your hands)...use snake tongs. Or call the local amphur as

they will most likely have a snake man to do the capturing for you. I'm in Ranong

and on the property we have all sorts of snakes...cobras & kraits are quite common

for us but the worst is the Malayan pit viper...since they just don't move if anyone

or anything approaches them. Although not classified as deadly the MPV causes

more deaths per year than any other snake in this part of the world mainly because

their fangs are very long & the amount of venom injected is quite large....and some

victims of their bite don't or can't afford the trip to hospital.

Stay safe.....

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

worgeordie, on 12 May 2014 - 08:54, said:

You just killed a Banded Krait ,yes can be fatal to humans,but a very docile

snake,not prone to attack,its main diet is other snakes,so only yourself to

blame if you get over run with Cobras.

Just don't understand why people have just got to kill anything that comes into

their space,,anything that moves,is dispatched without knowing what it actually

is,a little knowledge about what kind of animals are around would be a great help

to a lot of people ,and to the species thats habitat is our gardens,at this rate there

will be nothing left.

Regards Worgeordie

Although I do not like to kill snakes it comes down to some very basic instincts, mainly, kill it before it bites the kids, or go and research it first.... sorry, the snake dies.

• Like 2

is,a little knowledge about what kind of animals are around would be a great help

to a lot of people ,and to the species thats habitat is our gardens,at this rate there

will be nothing left.

Regards Worgeordie

Although I do not like to kill snakes it comes down to some very basic instincts, mainly, kill it before it bites the kids, or go and research it first.... sorry, the snake dies.

we had a malaysian pit viper in our backyard when we were living in pattaya last year. Luckily our security guards came and took it away then most likely killed it. I don't see them driving to some far off field to let it loose. Perhaps they did.

I don't like to kill anything other than mossies, but I am with you on this one.

will be nothing left.

Regards Worgeordie

One problem with this "krait" is that it does look a little like a cobra...

post-147324-0-33426100-1399868367_thumb.

will be nothing left.

Regards Worgeordie

I find your comment a point of view, but an unwise policy. I generally harm nothing: I am veggie, and usually go the extra mile to help all creatures- however, I will kill every one of these SOBs if anywhere near my person or home. I have not ever done so yet in Th but I have cause for alarm. I previously had to respond to this choice to kill or not when my child found a pile of copperheads in the garden in US, and later Water Moccasins from nearby water source.

At dusk, while jogging late, a snake "side-winded" across the road yesterday. <deleted>, I jumped. We were each equally scared. Doesn't matter "to each his own." When I am scared I jump. When he is scared, I die. Last night I did homework searching for what snake was- large- very long, banded- and moved like desert sidewinder- then saw this thread- it is the same snake! And it was large. Damn thing covered fully 25% width of the road as it blazed across 1-2 meters ahead.

This then is self preservation instinct at its most basic. Only one physically or mentally removed from reality could adopt a live and let live approach to poisonous snakes, human habitation, pets, children, etc., In their immediate locale. (My opinion, I don't mean to disrespect you, only to measure my concern about poisonous snakes). Perhaps there is a reason that the human condition has a snake as an undesirable archetype.

I do want to add I otherwise agree: the wise approach is to know what is in your area and make sound choices about harming wildlife- agreed!

Edited by arjunadawn
  • Like 1

What came first...your garden or the jungle ?

Does it matter which came first? The consequences of being mistaken, if one extends to snakes the rational faculty that they will leave us alone if we leave them alone, is too terrible to imagine for one with children, or any human for that matter.

• Like 1

I can understand the people that have kids or pets,wanting to kill snakes,BUT a little

knowledge ,just google Thai snakes,to recognize what are harmless snakes,that would

not attack anything and actually do good by keeping the vermin population in check,

I have seen far too many pictures on ThaiVisa of harmless snakes,heads chopped off

and the killers seemingly taking pride in their actions,I have even read posts of where

people want to rid their homes of house Geckos !!

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

I can understand the people that have kids or pets,wanting to kill snakes,BUT a little

knowledge ,just google Thai snakes,to recognize what are harmless snakes,that would

not attack anything and actually do good by keeping the vermin population in check,

I have seen far too many pictures on ThaiVisa of harmless snakes,heads chopped off

and the killers seemingly taking pride in their actions,I have even read posts of where

people want to rid their homes of house Geckos !!

regards Worgeordie

I will remember to tell my sons this the next time one is in our backyard...dont worry google it first before it bites you...

Sent from my LG-P970

• Like 1

I have seen plenty of snakes around our place i tend to leave them alone,when you attack them that is the most likley time you will get bitten,different of course if it comes in the house,but thankfully for me that is a scenario that has so far not unfolded.

I have children.

I teach my kids to respect wildlife and protect it.

To many people out there killing everythkng......each to their own......but don't you wonder why the animal population is in decline?

At our house in lsst 3 years, we have had circa 10 green pit vipers, 1 mammoth burmese python, a massive cobra, a krait, several raindows, 3 keelbacks, 1 cannot remember name, 2 golden trees, 2 smaller pythons cannot recall name.........and all either left aloneor removed elsewhere..

Kids still alive.

animal population declining cause a few less snakes around?

one might think the opposite because more rats / etc not being eaten. ;)