mae sai border run

willfreeman

i have a double entry visa and need to exit the country on or before the 20th to activate the second entry, so recent changes are a non issue for me, my questions are:

1) is the border open 7 days a week?

2)is it still 500 baht on the burmese side?

3) can anyone recommend a company that does border trips safely?

thanks

Redride costs 1800 for a border run. If there is 2 of you it is 100% worth it. If there is 3 of you it would be idiotic to go any other way. You are driven in a clean car and can stop off at sights like the white temple. Even if I was alone I would consider doing it as the bus and vans don't sound pleasant.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

green bus is fine. pay a bit extra for the VIP seats and get lots more space and legroom. bus is airconned, has a lavvy on it and stops at about five bus stations on the way north so you can stretch your legs. it's not the quickest at about 4.5hrs each way but take a book and some music and movies and it's fine.

• Like 2

I love the drive. Especially the Mae Suay to Mae Lao curves. Excellent wide road, loads of overtaking, no radar traps. Enjoy pushing your ride to the limit. Pretend you're Jeremy Clarkson w00t.gif

That was before the earthquake....

Might be some unexpected slopes on the road, now whistling.gif

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

Usd 10 for the Burma visa stamp. Cheaper than 500 baht. The VIP Green bus is less than 800 baht return and pretty safe. I have never had any problems at the border with a British passport but that was before the recent crackdown of the last few days. If you want to use the VIP green bus I would go to arcade at least 2 days before travel and prebook. You won't get a seat on the day. You will end up on non aircon slow bus to chiang rai only.

Visa trip today on sm motorbike, beautifull weather, road ok, no earthquake damage. Left home 7am, at 11.30 at border. (Made 2 short lunch/coffee) stops. Now in CR, tmrw morning back. Perfect!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I love the drive. Especially the Mae Suay to Mae Lao curves. Excellent wide road, loads of overtaking, no radar traps. Enjoy pushing your ride to the limit. Pretend you're Jeremy Clarkson w00t.gif

Agreed - it is a really pleasant drive. More than one person, the cost of hiring a car and buying petrol is marginally more than the minibus with the bonus of stopping off as and when along the way.

Agreed - it is a really pleasant drive. More than one person, the cost of hiring a car and buying petrol is marginally more than the minibus with the bonus of stopping off as and when along the way.

Stopping along the way? Get enough of that with all the traffic lights around Chiang Rai bah.gif Ring road, underpasses pleasethumbsup.gif

That's really odd. Normally I buy a ticket all the way to Mae Sai. Once you get to Chang Rai, however, you should have no trouble getting some kind of bus to Mae Sai, although it may be a slow one.

If you have never done this trip before, please note that Chiang Rai now has two bus stations. The first one you will arrive at is new and feels a bit out of town. The second one is right in the middle of town. I would stay on the bus until you get to this one and look for another bus from this point.

If you have the time, you can spend the night in Chiang Rai and head to Mae Sai the next day. I do that quite a lot.

i booked my green bus ticket for saturday, the lady said i could only go to chiang rai - does the bus go right to mae sai?

Did you ask for a particular time? Some do go all thee way to Mae Sai, but maybe not the one that you booked?

Edited by Ulysses G.

It is very odd....if you request the bus all the way to Mae Sai then that is where you should end up. I had done the trip heaps of times before I woke up and got a real visa about a year ago. VIP Green bus all the way thru and no problems.... just got a songteaw from the Mae Sai bus terminal to the border and job done.

I hope they havent changed their route

• Like 1

It maybe that after the minivans canceled the service to mai sai that there was a surge to get the green bus tickets and he simply missed out.

As a rule I always get my ticket one week in advance to ensure I get the vip seats.

OP you did ask for the 8.00 out and 15.30 return as suggested?

Could be a very very long day now.

i booked my green bus ticket for saturday, the lady said i could only go to chiang rai - does the bus go right to mae sai?

that sounds unusual but there are other buses that connect chiang rai to mae sai. minibuses, local buses etc. i've done that before when short notice meant i could only get the green VIP bus from chiang mai as far as chiang rai.

Stopping along the way? Get enough of that with all the traffic lights around Chiang Rai bah.gif Ring road, underpasses pleasethumbsup.gif

Try the new Chiang Rai bypass. I am not sure it is officially open yet, but the section from the Duck hotel to the airport was last time I drove there in March.

When you get to the Duck hotel junction (first traffic lights in CR), turn right heading towards Santiburi golf course. After about 1km you will see the new road on your left.

The fine print says as of August 12, even the airliner route will no longer be acceptable,

they will now want Visa's from consulates, outside the country

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-crackdown-on-visa-runs-create-headaches-for-expats.html

Tourists looking to extend their time in the Kingdom will now need to exit the country to apply for a proper tourist visa or will need to fly out and back in every 30 days to obtain a new entry stamp. The latter will only be an option for a few more months, however. Visa runs by air will also be prohibited beginning August 12.