Thailand visa: Missing MH370 ‘behind visa run crackdown’. Fingerprints next?

Why don't you just have all the tourists stand on one leg, jump up and down whist singing "JohnJacobJingleHiemerSmidt"? If they can't do it, no entry!!!
That should show the global community that you're doing something!

• Like 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi folks I'm coming back to Thailand at Christmas for a month then going to Manila for a week will I bee OK for 30days back in Thailand ? Cheers

Ask the same question around Thanksgiving and we may have a definitive answer. Maybe.

Its a positive start and l agree with it whole feartedly. Unlile the many farang morons who visit this site everyday with their stupid negativity and sarcasm. As one post said if you want to stay in Thailand get a proper visa. Good to see them getting rid of these visa runs and some of the farang scum.

Looks like ex-pats that have families and/or home in Thailand, but work overseas on a rotation such as 10 weeks on 2 weeks off, 30 days on 30 days off, will no longer be able to use the visa free entry. I did this for 10 years and saved a lot of money and hassle. The new policy means that expats based here but working offshore will have to apply for a 1 year Visa.

Personally I believe that the current clamp down has more to do with the recent removal of a senior immigration officer who was involved in arranging "Ghost Visa Runs" and extensions, whereby the passport holder did not leave Thailand and re-enter.

Edited by Estrada

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is one of the most horribly written/edited articles I have seen in a long time.

It's sad. "Editors"; yes even quotes from non-native English speakers can be edited for readabilty.

Phuket News...? Thai Visa...? Yes, I am looking at you both.

Horrible.

If you are going to slag off posters for poor English skills you had better learn English first. Your post is "one of the most horribly written and unedited articles I have seen in a long time, your punctuation is all over the place, and I have never heard of the word "READABILTY".

Just remember that many TV members do not have English as a first language like yourself it seems.

Yes, apparently not.

The past days I have been reading loads of posts on this subject, and most of them are incorrect. A few clear-ups:

1. Visa runs. It's NOT about visa runs. Someone with a tourist or other visa with more than one entry can still pass the border and return, as they have a valid visa.

2. Tourists are affected, they want to get rid of tourists. Non sense, genuine tourists come in at an airport and get a free 30 day exemption (aka visa on arrival). Millions of tourists spend their 3-4 week holiday here and leave again. No problem and they won't be affected.

3. Impossible to hop through SE Asean countries. Not true, as with a multiple entry tourist visa one can get out and in, on top one has a return ticket, probably also a reservation for accommodation, etc.

So what is happening is a tightening of rules, and only border runners with no visa are affected. Correctly, as they came on a 30 day exemption, but stayed longer without getting a valid visa. It is a small part of the total number of tourists and expats, not large enough to influence Thai economy, as some posters meant arrogantly. We talk about maybe 10,000 people? Maybe less, maybe a bit more. But it's not the majority of farang, just a tiny little part of it. Anyone with straight plans to stay in Thailand can have a valid visa, just those that work illegally, stay illegally or are too "kee niao" to spend 1000 baht for a 60 day visa.

• Like 1

... and I have never heard of the word "READABILTY".

Just remember that many TV members do not have English as a first language like yourself it seems.

Oops, my sincere apologies Estrada, I don't spell sheck forum posts. But if you don't understand 'READABILTY' (sic.readability), then I have another one for you: 'Vocabulary'.

Cheers.

• Like 1

So it's obvious most people here don't like Thai immigration clamping down on the illegal visa runs. Oh wait...illegal? Why not get a proper visa if you want to live and/or work somewhere? I can only hope this time the law will be enforced long term and we can get rid of the unwanted. I couldn't care less of all the negativity and sarcasm of most other posters here. Get a life!

Fingerprinting? - I have no problem with it.

Only people who have something to hide will object to it.

BUT!

I'm afraid it will all fizz out into inefficiency, incompetence, inconvenience and humiliation for the foreigners on every level.

Let me explain what I mean.

You cross the border into Thailand. Thai Immigration take your fingerprints and photo and name and passport number. Good!

Now, every time you cross the border into or out of Thailand - they must know you? Simple? Not in the least!

Every year I go to my local Immigration. They are all nice people, never had any problems with them. We know each other personally. It is all smiles!

However business is business - every year I must supply photos, letters, papers. signatures on every piece of paper - the lot! Year after year!

I have been inside the building. They have no dungeons. They have no storage room big enough to keep all the described trash.

Purpose? - Maximum inconvenience for everybody! And do not talk to me about their Database! If they have it why not use it?

Thais have devised, built and are operating the most sadistic Immigration set of rules. From 90 days reporting to 1 year maximum Non-Imm Visa.

Why?

Don't ask me why. Beats the logic out of me but it must be justified by their Thai logic. Have a nice day. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

But you do have a chance to stay here through double entry tourist visas, education visas, non "o" visas

I have no idea why blokes are charging up to borders in a mini bus every 15 or 30 days just go to Laos get a double entry tourist visa and that's 6 months sorted out, do that twice in a row and then go to another consulate and do it twice in a row and rinse and repeat.

The immigration office in Bangkok though has always been riddled with &lt;deleted&gt; and people who are desperate to make examples out of farang

Fingerprinting? - I have no problem with it.

Only people who have something to hide will object to it.

BUT!

I'm afraid it will all fizz out into inefficiency, incompetence, inconvenience and humiliation for the foreigners on every level.

Let me explain what I mean.

You cross the border into Thailand. Thai Immigration take your fingerprints and photo and name and passport number. Good!

Now, every time you cross the border into or out of Thailand - they must know you? Simple? Not in the least!

Every year I go to my local Immigration. They are all nice people, never had any problems with them. We know each other personally. It is all smiles!

However business is business - every year I must supply photos, letters, papers. signatures on every piece of paper - the lot! Year after year!

I have been inside the building. They have no dungeons. They have no storage room big enough to keep all the described trash.

Purpose? - Maximum inconvenience for everybody! And do not talk to me about their Database! If they have it why not use it?

Thais have devised, built and are operating the most sadistic Immigration set of rules. From 90 days reporting to 1 year maximum Non-Imm Visa.

Why?

Don't ask me why. Beats the logic out of me but it must be justified by their Thai logic. Have a nice day. coffee1.gif

While we're being so concerned with efficiency and only letting in people who cause no costs to Thailand, maybe the authorities should take that little health insurance requirement they were talking about a few months back and make it mandatory that everyone on a year long visa must also have health insurance or have their visa cancelled and they get kicked out of the country the next day. Sound good to you? Huh? Hey, sounds good to me. I've got both the visa and the health insurance, so I can feel all smug and self-righteous about what a good person I am and how everybody else is just undeserving scum.

Edited by zydeco

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif

Well, US does fingerprinting. Dubai does IRIS scan. Photo taking is common everywhere. All is Good as far as this does't cause inconvenience to travellers. But, will it still help in case of smart criminals? Remember a criminal in transit walking out of Suvarnabhumi Airport not long ago.....

Don't see why the Immigration officials are sounding so apologetic about it. Well past time they enforced their own rules. Many foreign criminals stay here by doing border runs as they can't get a legitimate visa to stay here with a record that shows they did prison time. That includes paedophiles and other scum we can do without.

If you're a tourist, come for your 30 days then politely go home till next year. If you want to stay here longer than that, go through the proper channels. If you're a crim' and can't get a legit' visa, good riddance.

Who died and put you in charge? By your perverse logic it ok for a perv to come for a holiday, but not stay longer! Very warped in my opinion.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

And I wonder how sophisticated the equipment is. E.g. is the fingerprint taken electronically and then automatically held in a national database? Checking could be done in a couple of minutes.

Or is it still the old fashioned ink and paper process, held only at that location? Meaning that checking if done thoroughly could taken a week at least, maybe more.

I'm in and out of Thailand more or less every month from Malaysia. using both the land border (Pednag Basar )and BKK. I only stay at home for between 2 weeks and a couple of days, so i don't need a visa. The only time I've ever hand any remark from Thai immigration was coming back from Phuket airport around November last year. I was told I shout "Get a Visa". It seems Thai immigration in Phuket are a little bit more sensitive than in other places in Thailand for some reason.

why not:

they do it in Cambodia in and out

and flying into Malaysia

They also do it at the land border into Malaysia. I have UK passport and was fingerprinted a fortnight ago. I was not fingerprinted when I flew into Malaysia a year ago.

Good, it`s about time these measures were put into place and now that the types of security of Thailand is being scrutinised by the International communities, means these new rules are here to stay.

This will make it much more difficult for criminals and possible terrorists to use Thailand as a bolt hole and a base for them to stay uncover, plus it will cut down the amounts of those of little wealth that have to hassle here to gain incomes and the undesirables.

We can expect to see a lot less undesirable farangs that have no legitimate reasons to remain here long term in the future and Thailand will be a safer country for it.

BJ what's your legitimate reason for being here?

It makes no difference why I am here, the point is that I and many other ex-pats living in Thailand qualify to stay long term under the imposed terms and conditions of the Thai Immigration Department and this is really what it`s all about.

Our family home and land is owed legitimately, I am not working illegally, I am not running any businesses illegally and my and many other ex-pats lifestyles here in Thailand does not affect others because we are not abusing the system or trying to find loopholes to bypass the system. I for one are one of the ex-pats here who cannot be blamed for causing even more tightening up of the visa regulations.

Like it or lump it, because that`s the way it is, plus the way I live in Thailand going via the proper channels to extend my visa every year means that the law is on my side and presently still welcome here with respect and left alone, and that`s the way I like it and want to keep it that way.

Westerners that have to do visa runs in order to stay long term in Thailand, the forever tourists, are of no benefit to the country or the ex-pats that are living here abiding by the system, and of course these people can be a threat to national security for obvious reasons, it`s only common sense that we cannot have foreigners entering and leaving the country at will without being tagged or properly vetted.

Very well said, written.

For the past 8 or so years I have been coming to LOS as a tourist, never stayed more than 30 days even though married to a Thai lady. After 4 x 30 day visits last year I thought time to make the move permanently. Applied for correct "visa" at Aussie consulate, approved no problem. Now in process of getting my, wait for it.... "Thai Retirement Visa" yes, I said it, retirement visa.... if you want to be a politically correct snob you call it something else if you wish.

So yes, I'll have to do 90 day reporting, so what ??? follow the rules, smile, be polite & pay a few baht. what's so difficult ? It must be costing all the visa runners a small fortune in travel & other expenses.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Thank you and good day thumbsup.gif

Mal.

• Like 2

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

And I wonder how sophisticated the equipment is. E.g. is the fingerprint taken electronically and then automatically held in a national database? Checking could be done in a couple of minutes.

Or is it still the old fashioned ink and paper process, held only at that location? Meaning that checking if done thoroughly could taken a week at least, maybe more.

You stick both index fingers on a scanner.

In all these heated arguments about fingerprinting two small issues are left out of sight.

One - it is Malaysia who does the fingerprinting that has lost MH370.

Two - electronic fingerprinting is easy and harmless but Thailand (the Hub of free kids iPads or Notebooks) will stain your fingers with quality black paint so that your underpants can be identified 30 days after.

Sorry for being sarcastic and pessimistic. It's probably my age. tongue.png

PS. I forgot to mention that this fingerstaining will take place on every entry and exit!

Why? Don't ask me why. Sadistic?

I'm in and out of Thailand more or less every month from Malaysia. using both the land border (Pednag Basar )and BKK. I only stay at home for between 2 weeks and a couple of days, so i don't need a visa. The only time I've ever hand any remark from Thai immigration was coming back from Phuket airport around November last year. I was told I shout "Get a Visa". It seems Thai immigration in Phuket are a little bit more sensitive than in other places in Thailand for some reason.

They suggested you get a visa because it was obvious to them you aren't a tourist. This is why the Russian girl was refused entry in another post.

why not:

they do it in Cambodia in and out

and flying into Malaysia

They also do it at the land border into Malaysia. I have UK passport and was fingerprinted a fortnight ago. I was not fingerprinted when I flew into Malaysia a year ago.

In all these heated arguments about fingerprinting two small issues are left out of sight.

One - it is Malaysia who does the fingerprinting that has lost MH370.

Two - electronic fingerprinting is easy and harmless but Thailand (the Hub of free kids iPads or Notebooks) will stain your fingers with quality black paint so that your underpants can be identified 30 days after.

Sorry for being sarcastic and pessimistic. It's probably my age. tongue.png

PS. I forgot to mention that this fingerstaining will take place on every entry and exit!

Why? Don't ask me why. Sadistic?

Little point in getting upset. It is already part of the Schengan visa process and will become part of every visa process in due course.

Yes done in Malaysia , can be done for all , Tourists /Residents. It just depends on whether the Immigration official you are dealing with can be bothered or not to ask you to do it. They do not have them at Pedang basar yet