Thailand visa: Missing MH370 ‘behind visa run crackdown’. Fingerprints next?

Yes done in Malaysia , can be done for all , Tourists /Residents. It just depends on whether the Immigration official you are dealing with can be bothered or not to ask you to do it. They do not have them at Pedang basar yet

Yes they do. That is where I was done 2 weeks ago

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hong Kong has got it right. You can get a visa on arrival and wait in a queue with hundreds of people to get it or get a HK frequent visitor pass where they scan a finger once and then you go through an automated gate.

If you plan to stay in Thailand for an extended period of time, then get a proper Visa. Too many people have been circumventing the visa laws and it's about time that new rules are brought into affect.

I agree with the need for better security, but you could achieve the same without the 'fly out & in' kick in the teeth to the 99 plus percent of border runners who behave themselves. Allow visa applications online, if approved go to nearest Immi office, pay a bit more, everybody happy, road toll is down & CO2.

Yes done in Malaysia , can be done for all , Tourists /Residents. It just depends on whether the Immigration official you are dealing with can be bothered or not to ask you to do it. They do not have them at Pedang basar yet

Yes they do. That is where I was done 2 weeks ago

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif

why not the American's do it...the equipment to do this is not expensive/electronic and info just goes into the immigration data base they are already using, you already have your photo taken coming into Swampy, so implementation of this is not so difficult

Its also the standard in Malaysia.

Looks like ex-pats that have families and/or home in Thailand, but work overseas on a rotation such as 10 weeks on 2 weeks off, 30 days on 30 days off, will no longer be able to use the visa free entry. I did this for 10 years and saved a lot of money and hassle. The new policy means that expats based here but working offshore will have to apply for a 1 year Visa.

Personally I believe that the current clamp down has more to do with the recent removal of a senior immigration officer who was involved in arranging "Ghost Visa Runs" and extensions, whereby the passport holder did not leave Thailand and re-enter.

Finally someone else is connecting the dots.

2 weeks ago one of the most senior Immigration police generals is transferred to an inactive post for...... wait for it... facilitating a visa run scam.

Fast forward 2 weeks and there is a crackdown on......... visa runs...... HELLO

If you plan to stay in Thailand for an extended period of time, then get a proper Visa. Too many people have been circumventing the visa laws and it's about time that new rules are brought into affect.

You are, of course, referring to after they have bought someone else's passport as also reflected by the missing airliner, but that doesn't seem to warrant a crackdown.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

First step. I think this country intends to keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing until they force out most Westerners of whatever visa status. Both sides of the political debate want Westerners out. Anyone working here is seen as someone taking a Thai's money and job. And, as this policy shows, they can change the rules on a moment's notice. Retirement visa. Non-immigrant work visa? They could decide next week to kick everybody out of the country starting the next morning. And most Thais would probably celebrate.

Absolute nonsenses. Yes, celebrate until they realize their source of income has just left the building and they have to go back to working in the rice fields and their m-bikes, cars, homes are repossessed and over priced land is worth F-all again. I hope that day comes soon. F-Thailand...I'm out!!! After 12 years...had enough!!! Singapore, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indo, PI? Anywhere but here. Also, cant wait for the real-estate bubble to burst in the "tourist areas". Loads of greedy c-nts will lose their ass(sets). LMAO!!! Should have invested in gold??? Over and Out!!!

There are some very valid points in this post. I was chatting with a market vendor here on Phuket during one of Taksin's crackdowns (they both do it) when he said 'What will we do if all the foreigners leave? The rubber trees are gone!' And try getting 4-6 million for your scrubby little patch of 320 sq mtrs then w00t.gif

AJBangkok Makes perfect sense actually , I notice the Immigration fellas who got caught out went relatively unpunished , its those pesky tourists who need a good shoeing for this

You mention 'face' I'm gunna sue.

A member ignoring George's request to stop bickering and name calling is now on a posting holiday. Please abide by forum rules and keep the conversations civil. Apologies to the members with the very appropriate replies to the removed posts.

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

I thought, the visa rules and regulations in Thailand, were always clear to every one.

If you would like to visit Thailand for a longer period of time, a 15 day Tourist Visa extension by border crossing could only be done with a maximum of 3 times.

If you needed more time in Thailand you would have to leave the country to get a new 3 month or 1 year visa abroad.

Or if one worked or was a student or pensioner in Thailand you could make a visa in Thailand itself.

When making a 3 month or 1 year visa abroad, the embassy checks whether this visa can be issued or not.

Pretty clear it seems.

The biggest problem is that Thai immigration made a mess of this by not sticking to its own rules.

It was lenient 1 moment and allowed 1 day border crossing visa runs up to 10 times in a row or more and the next moment it clamped down on these so called visa runs.

Reason for clamping down was always: Clamping down on Foreigners abusing the Thai visa system.

Now, the recent clamp down stems from the MH370 airplane drama, so they say.

This might be the case, but what immigration seems to be saying this time, is that it cannot control border crossings decently.

If foreigners travel outside of the kingdom by air, the check ups are sufficient.

But if they travel outside of the Kingdom by foot or otherwise, the check ups do not suffice.

Quote:

[“All they said is that you now have to fly out only. No more exit by land via a new regulation passed.]

So in plain English:

Besides the airports the country is as leak as a sieve.

I think anyone who thinks Farange money means anything to the Thai elite, I would say, you are wrong.

They are much more interested and worried about their industrial base and their commerce base,

there are millions of Thai's in the malls and on the streets, buying from vendors all day and night,

you barely see Farange, and as a % of the population, its less than drivel,

other than buying over priced alcohol, and bar girls no one in their right mind would touch if not plastered.

Farange's aren't wanted,

and it is beginning to show more and more

N x 70,000 ThB x 12 = Average gross income coming from abroad invested in the country every year. And it's close to one billion dollars!

N = the number of Farangs actually living in Thailand. I think that 400,000 out of a total population of 67,000,000 is not exaggerated.

Edited by Gil

I think anyone who thinks Farange money means anything to the Thai elite, I would say, you are wrong.

They are much more interested and worried about their industrial base and their commerce base,

there are millions of Thai's in the malls and on the streets, buying from vendors all day and night,

you barely see Farange, and as a % of the population, its less than drivel,

other than buying over priced alcohol, and bar girls no one in their right mind would touch if not plastered.

Farange's aren't wanted,

and it is beginning to show more and more

N x 70,000 ThB x 12 = Average gross income coming from abroad invested in the country every year. And it's close to one billion dollars!

N = the number of Farangs actually living in Thailand. I think that 400,000 out of a total population of 67,000,000 is not exaggerated.

A very naive calculation....also assuming that these foreigners don't use any on the government paid for facilities....like the national infrastructure, roads healthcare...beaches...etc etc...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Give me a 1 year visa and I will show.

1) I have income from abroad only and can support myself.

2) Clean criminal record in Thailand and my home country.

3) Pretty much anything else, I got nothing to hide.

Just give me a chance to stay here.

What's stopping you getting a 1 year visa now ?

Not being 50yrs old and not wanting to marry a Thai just for Visa purpose?! wai2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not being 50yrs old and not wanting to marry a Thai just for Visa purpose?! wai2.gif

Ed visa then...not hard

In all these heated arguments about fingerprinting two small issues are left out of sight.

One - it is Malaysia who does the fingerprinting that has lost MH370.

Two - electronic fingerprinting is easy and harmless but Thailand (the Hub of free kids iPads or Notebooks) will stain your fingers with quality black paint so that your underpants can be identified 30 days after.

Sorry for being sarcastic and pessimistic. It's probably my age. tongue.png

PS. I forgot to mention that this fingerstaining will take place on every entry and exit!

Why? Don't ask me why. Sadistic?

Little point in getting upset. It is already part of the Schengan visa process and will become part of every visa process in due course.

Thanks for bringing this up.

My friend from Russia pays $30 per person for Schengan Visa.

Unlimited travel in and out any country for 180 days.

Compare this with Thailand.

How is doing something which isn't illegal "circumventing visa laws."

Boarder runs have never been illegal, and still aren't. What has changed is policy. The discretion has always laid with immigration. Immigration has the authority to change policy, not change law. No new laws have been passed. What has changed is there is now a greatly reduced ability of serial border runners to pay a little extra to encourage the immigration officer to interpret the law in their favor. This is the benefit of using a visa run company, as the driver keeps a little extra cash on hand which he often must give immigration officers in order to avoid any problems for his passengers. Like nearly every law in Thailand, immigration laws are vaguely written. This is by design to allow those in power to interpret them any way they please.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

Ed visa then...not hard

Oh, I see. So learning thai should now be a reqt (if you're not married to a thai or 50yo)... So many of you on this bandwagon of denying entry to anyone who doesn't jump thru one of these hoops, but weren't actually doing anything wrong or actually causing any problems to begin with. Maybe this'll all blow over as some are suggesting, and it's not like we're so far hearing of any massive waves of turnbacks, but i f Thailand does go through with it, there'll be lots of egg on lots of faces. Not that that doesn't seem to happen a lot these days... Bureaucrats just don't seem to think through things.

Edited by hawker9000

why not the American's do it...the equipment to do this is not expensive/electronic and info just goes into the immigration data base they are already using, you already have your photo taken coming into Swampy, so implementation of this is not so difficult

Doesn't Cambodia already do this as well?

Yes Cambodia does finger printing in the capital at the airport.

Doesn't Cambodia already do this as well?

Yes Cambodia does finger printing in the capital at the airport.

In Malaysia, everyone gets fingerprinted on arrival, even people arriving on a sailboat in Langggkawi.

But you do have a chance to stay here through double entry tourist visas, education visas, non "o" visas

I have no idea why blokes are charging up to borders in a mini bus every 15 or 30 days just go to Laos get a double entry tourist visa and that's 6 months sorted out, do that twice in a row and then go to another consulate and do it twice in a row and rinse and repeat.

The immigration office in Bangkok though has always been riddled with <deleted> and people who are desperate to make examples out of farang

And, what happens if they decide to only allow one visa and no extensions, because the head of immigration has decided that 30 days is long enough, so 60 days is definitely all we will get ( and only because he doesn't have the power to change the law )?

You're not the,"tourist"they want,,, they want the shady ones, so they can, EXTORT $,,, 3 days ago,, a friend was here,, dropped a cigarette butt,,, got nailed by the, "butt police",,,, I've been also, years ago,,, they found out he was Japanese,,, actually,, REALLY SAID,, "$10,000",,, hahahah I literally laughed in his face,, said,, "phuck off", call the REAL POLICE, BECAUSE WE'RE BEING ROBBED!,, of course he didn't,,, , we walked away,, until they clean up the bib THIEVES here, They'll hassle the, TERRIBLE, "CRIMINALS",,,, visa runners,, Yet you can illegally run a biz, pull, fire an illegal hand gun, hit, injure 2 people,, and walk around free,,, THAILAND,, THE BESTEST 1ST, 3RD WORLD COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!,,, LOLOLOL

Edited by Adeeos

So, crackdown on visa runnres, finger-prints collecting, etc, etc .... but what do TH authorities want?

They want clean tourist cases by 2 steps:

First step: you come here max. 30 days but spend 2 Million Baht / day.

Second step: you don't come here at all, just send the money ...

Because he's full of hate, jealousy and envy that people with little money are having a good time and that is not allowed in his tiny world.

Yes we are jealous of people with little money living in unairconditioned rooms and needing visa runs to be able to live somewhere, because they will never be able to get a visa at a consulate. Did I miss something? Sorry but you started to get personal