5.0 magnitude quake hits Chiang Rai again today

Lite Beer

5.0 magnitude quake hits Chiang Rai again today

5-12-2014-9-18-56-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG RAI: -- As local authorities are hastily repair a major highway damaged by the strongest ever 6.3 magnitude earthquake to rattle Chiang Rai province last week, another quake of 5.0 magnitude hit Chiang Rai’s Mae Lao district before noon today, sending residents to run out of their homes for fear of building collapses.

The Thai Meteorological Department reported earthquake of 5.0 magnitude at 11.05 a.m. Monday in Mae Lao district of Chiang Rai.

There was no report of damages yet but Channel 9 reported residents in Mae Lao district were forced to run out of their homes for fear of building collapses.

It recorded nine quakes ranging from 2.5 to 5 on the Richter scale from 00.08 a.m. to 11.05 a.m. in Mae Suai, Phan and Mae Lao today. The strong quake of 5.0 magnitude was reported at 11.05 a.m. in Mae Lao district.

Earlier in the morning, the department said aftershocks following the earthquake in Chiang Rai last week have reduced in frequency.

It said that the frequency of aftershocks in the area has reduced to only 12 affecting only Phan, Mae Suai, Mae Lao districts and Chiang Rai municipality.

The aftershocks were measured at between 2.0 – 4.0 Richter. All in all, as of 2 pm today, a total of 729 aftershocks have been recorded.

Meanwhile local authorities said repairs on Highway No 118 from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai has progressed tremendously and should be completed within two months.

Repairs on affected highways, such as the 118 Chiang Rai – Chiang Mai highway, are progressing steadily and expectations are that the work will be completed within two months. The worse affected sections of the highway are at the Baan Huay Lanh, Dong Makha, Mae Lao and certain bypass routes and work has slowed slightly on these sections as heavy rains have caused soil collapse.

As for other parts of the highway such as bridges and merging points which had been marginally affected, the Department of Highways has made inspections on all of them and repairs should be completed very quickly.

Meanwhile in Chiang Mai province, the ancient 700 year old Phra Chedi Wat Larm Chang pagoda has developed large cracks on many parts of its structure.

The pagoda which is shaped like a large inverted bell has suffered extensive damage and parts of its foundation has also collapsed causing the pinnacle of the pagoda to lean dramatically.

The historical site has been closed off to the public by authorities fearing injuries and also so that repair work can be affected.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/5-0-magnitude-quake-hits-chiang-rai-today/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=5-0-magnitude-quake-hits-chiang-rai-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-12

In these troubled times, some people in Bangkok have suggested that these earthquakes are retribution for some very evil, politically-motivated people who are in the north and Isaan.

However, I personally feel that there are too few PDRC supporters up north to cause that level of bad karma.

Edited by anteater
  • Like 1

with 729 aftershocks, this is not an isolated incident, but a brewing catastrophe.

those with the ability to leave the area for a while, shouldnt b thinking this is over.

the sun watchers have predicted an increase in intensity as early as today, before the 5.0,

before anyone mocks this analysis, this can be life saving, and some, believe this is bigger than suggested

stay safe, do not risk your life

In these troubled times, some people in Bangkok have suggested that these earthquakes are retribution for some very evil, politically-motivated people who are in the north and Isaan.

However, I personally feel that there are too few PDRC supporters up north to cause that level of bad karma.

There is also a theory that this is bad karma being visited on Thailand by the God of democracy.

Next big shake might be right under Suthep stage.

It would be useful if somebody could explain the Richter scale when publishing the magnitude of an earthquake.

I do not think there are many that realise that a 5.0 quake is NOT 20% weaker than a 6.3 quake.

It is actually 13 times weaker!

• Like 1

I hope this thread stays on topic and doesnt become a mixture of political nonsense,

people may start dying in the hundreds if this intensifies.

many people aren't aware that their homes are already weakened

I hope this thread stays on topic and doesn't become a mixture of pseudo-scientific nonsense....

Edited by asiamaster
  • Like 1

with 729 aftershocks, this is not an isolated incident, but a brewing catastrophe.

those with the ability to leave the area for a while, shouldnt b thinking this is over.

the sun watchers have predicted an increase in intensity as early as today, before the 5.0,

before anyone mocks this analysis, this can be life saving, and some, believe this is bigger than suggested

I will make sure to take my tinfoil hat as well.

Its truly sickening how some have got to try to bring their political hate and animosity into almost every topic.

This is about earthquakes that are affecting peoples lives and property in the area they are happening, if you had ever felt a major earthquake you would know that it can be very scary.

So far no deaths and injuries, lets hope it stays that way and the quakes are over soon so normal life can continue.

I agree.

Some of these comments make come from:

Those Thai are non-Thai

Those that cannot vote in Thai elections

Those that do not pay Thai taxes

Those that have no stake in the Thai economy

Those that are truly lacking of compassion for the pain of others

I'll now step down off my soap-box and slide into my slippers of humility.

are you attempting to dispute the proven science of earthquakes caused by pressure on the magnetosphere which is a direct effect of a solar flare?

if you are, you better come here with better science and leave your tin hat, and wise ass cracks, at home.

this is serious life threatening seismic activity worldwide, and not a joke

preparation is required, a weeks supply of water, food, the ability to communicate out, without a cell phone

Edited by Scarpolo

I can tell you, this is definitely not a laughing matter.

Yesterday around 6 PM another shock rattled the city, scary as hell.

Ever since the first quake the ground has not stopped moving, no kidding.

I stay in the area, my parents live here too, so need to be with them when it gets serious.

I believe we have not seen the end of this.

2011 was different, we felt the shock with epicenter in Tachilek (Burma border) but not so many aftershocks and definitely not more than 2 days after.

• Like 1

I can tell you, this is definitely not a laughing matter.

Yesterday around 6 PM another shock rattled the city, scary as hell.

Ever since the first quake the ground has not stopped moving, no kidding.

I stay in the area, my parents live here too, so need to be with them when it gets serious.

I believe we have not seen the end of this.

2011 was different, we felt the shock with epicenter in Tachilek (Burma border) but not so many aftershocks and definitely not more than 2 days after.

there is no end in sight right now,

740 aftershocks

have preparations, maybe HAM radio

are you attempting to dispute the proven science of earthquakes caused by pressure on the magnetosphere which is a direct effect of a solar flare?

if you are, you better come here with better science and leave your tin hat, and wise ass cracks, at home.

preparation is required, a weeks supply of water, food, the ability to communicate out, without a cell phone

Current Nasa summary of Solar activity states it has little influence on Earth:

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/potw/item/517

Solar flare today is category C1 : "C-class flares are small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth": Please see today's summary in the left hand column here:

http://spaceweather.com/

Scarpolo; Your 'interpretation' and apparently baseless warning is only giving those in the quake area more anxiety than they already must have!

Current Nasa summary of Solar activity states it has little influence on Earth:

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/potw/item/517

Solar flare today is category C1 : "C-class flares are small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth": Please see today's summary in the left hand column here:

http://spaceweather.com/

Scarpolo; Your 'interpretation' and apparently baseless warning is only giving those in the quake area more anxiety than they already must have!

C - class flares?

M class and X class are what is happening, why would you believe NASA, NSA, NAZI, its all the same lying con artists that ran the last show, or did you think Werner Von Braun and the 500 familes brought here to take over the US Space program and the CIA, were choir boys?

People in Chiang Rai should be stocking up on supplies and be prepared to sleep

outside if they need rescue, and an evacuation plan.

FEAR is what happens when you do not prepare and your Thai built home is in rubble at 10pm, AND YOU DONT KNOW WHERE TO GO

BECAUSE YOU DIDNT HAVE A PLAN

On the contrary! I even believe the Sedona effect has fried your brain...coffee1.gif

Oh and you mention Werner Von Braun coming HERE so I assume you are in America. In that case I hope you are not in California as they are at a much higher risk as they are on MAJOR fault lines, So Scarpolo my dear doomsday prophet go preach elsewhere.

Chaing Rai province is sitting on some minor fault lines and a quake on the Phayao and/or Mae Chan lines were long overdue. The first quake was on the Phayao line the second one on the Mae Chan line (that is if the posted map of the epicentre is correct).

No need for concern, as a matter of fact the Mae Chan line runs straight under my land in Chiang Khong and I'm not the least bit concerned.

post-169419-0-35769600-1399974944_thumb.

Surely a mid size quake and a lot of aftershocks is a good thing? releiving the stress of plate misalignment gradually.

I always thought the bad thing was a fault with no movement in one location for a long time, thus stress building up for a big one.

It would be useful if somebody could explain the Richter scale when publishing the magnitude of an earthquake.

I do not think there are many that realise that a 5.0 quake is NOT 20% weaker than a 6.3 quake.

It is actually 13 times weaker!

Thank you took the words from my mouth

Living within 100km f the epicntre the 6.3 rattled me the cat and shook our trees ,yesterday 5.0 I slept thru

Oddly I did read a Thai report saying how it was all over before Monday

Sadly loose tiles poor safety on wiring etc may cause injury but then many believ they have a few millin more Re-Incarnation to get it sorted.

I personlly never wanted to return as can of milk

• Like 1

Do you have any evidence for a causal relationsip.

http://www.thesuntoday.org/solar-facts/flares-and-earthquakes/

I only ever see Katoeys if I get off the skytrain at Nana but is it caused by me the BTS?

• Like 1

C - class flares?

M class and X class are what is happening, why would you believe NASA, NSA, NAZI, its all the same lying con artists that ran the last show, or did you think Werner Von Braun and the 500 familes brought here to take over the US Space program and the CIA, were choir boys?

FEAR is what happens when you do not prepare and your Thai built home is in rubble at 10pm, AND YOU DONT KNOW WHERE TO GO

BECAUSE YOU DIDNT HAVE A PLAN

I'm not attacking you so don't take this the wrong way but leaving out...

"why would you believe NASA, NSA, NAZI, its all the same lying con artists that ran the last show, or did you think Werner Von Braun and the 500 familes brought here to take over the US Space program and the CIA, were choir boys?"

...will get your message taken a lot more seriously. The main reason is the extreme bias. For example, why is some guy on youtube credible. You don't know who he works for either. Just because he thinks the same way you do doesn't mean he has insider information that is kept hidden from the rest of the world. Credentials or not he is just another guy who COULD be under the same influence as the NAZI controlled NASA.

Yes, being prepared is smart. Having a plan is smart. Keep the message simple and bias free and you will help more people with your efforts.

• Like 1

Scarpolo wrote: "

BECAUSE YOU DIDNT HAVE A PLAN"

Sorry, but what is this for nonsense, I can be scared AND be prepared!!

Make no mistake, I have my escape plan and route fully in my head, and all in place; I am pretty sure I will not end up under a pile of rubble, but believe me...... I HAVE REASONs TO BE ANXIOUS AND THIS SITUATION SCARES THE SHIT OUT OF ME.

You take the place of those in Phan, Mae Lao, and Mae Suay and then tell me you are not impressed by the ruling of the earth and your adrenaline did not raise.

If you do not know what we are talking about, don't talk about it!

And do not insult those that are in this situation and express their feelings.

Sorry, but what is this for nonsense, I can be scared AND be prepared!!

Make no mistake, I have my escape plan and route fully in my head, and all in place; I am pretty sure I will not end up under a pile of rubble, but believe me...... I HAVE REASONs TO BE ANXIOUS AND THIS SITUATION SCARES THE SHIT OUT OF ME.

You take the place of those in Phan, Mae Lao, and Mae Suay and then tell me you are not impressed by the ruling of the earth and your adrenaline did not raise.

If you do not know what we are talking about, don't talk about it!

And do not insult those that are in this situation and express their feelings.

No alarming reports from my friends in and around Chiang Rai .Actually no reports at all . OMG maybe they perished!!

1531901_447179135385442_5697365328835491

You know what, now I know again why I do not post on this forum..... sorry made mistake, thought it would have been interesting to hear from those that actually were there,.,,,,,,

Nothing happened......just my imagination I guess.......

bibi

Edited by chang garden