Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin presented with honorary doctoral degree

webfact

Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin Presented With Honorary Doctoral Degree
Added by Douglas Cobb.

BOSTON: -- On Saturday in Boston, Jimmy Page, former guitarist of the legendary rock group Led Zeppelin, was presented an honorary doctoral degree from the Berklee College of Music. He also spoke, giving the commencement address at the private college to the practically 900 graduates there.

Also on Saturday, Berklee College gave honorary doctoral degrees to musical educator and jazz pianist Geri Alen, Valerie Simpson (Motown R&B songwriter), and Thara Memory, the youth jazz orchestra founder of the American Music Program.

Before Jimmy Page joined Led Zeppelin, he was a guitarist for another legendary English rock band, The Yardbirds. He’d been offered the job a few times previously to when he joined the group, but he suggested, instead, his friend Jeff Beck would be perfect for them. When he did join The Yardbirds in the late 1960s, Page started off playing electric bass, then he shared twin lead guitar duties with with Jeff Beck before he eventually joined Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin, still much beloved by its fans, combined elements of R&B, the blues, and rock ‘n’ roll for a blend that was classified by some people as being heavy metal. While Led Zeppelin could definitely rock out, however, their style of music wasn’t what most people today would probably think of as being heavy metal. Known for such iconic rock songs as “Stairway to Heaven”, “No Quarter,” [read more...]

Full story: http://news360.com/digestarticle/mcFg3SS_DEC92Loo0VkXDw

-- LIBERTY VOICE 2014-05-13

• Like 2

IMO, after The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, probably the best rock band ever. thumbsup.gif

Umm .. and what about Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band???

Bruce and the boys (Sorry, Patti) were in their heyday the best live rock band EVER.... and that's from an Englishman.

I always liked that line from the Comic Strip's Bad News Tour when the guy brags he could play Stairway to Heaven when he was seventeen but Jimmy Page didn't even write it until he was twentyfive. smile.png

At twentyfive already a musical genius and he we are forty five years later it's still the best track in the history of rock and roll.

IMO, after The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, probably the best rock band ever. thumbsup.gif

Good, but secondary. They were many many good bands in that period (Bruce came after 1973-74 if am not mistaken). But, indeed Led Zep broke the mould, created a new style. Innovators and superior musicsmiths.

• Like 1

Ramble On

God, the music was just so good then, 1969/1970. Even sampler albums had everything from folk, Fairport Convention, singer songwriters such as Nick Drake to rock, progressive rock and the beginnings of heavy rock.

I remember my father, being the kind man he was, insisting on listening to Sergeant Peppers on his new stereo with what were enormous speakers for the time.'Not bad', he said.

But when Led Zeppelin 1 came out all was lost, my parents just couldn't get it. To my mind Zep got lost in later years but the sheer power, passion and variety of Led Zep 1 still stands out today.

To me what separates the greats from the many is the ability to both rock and play acoustic, to cross all the emotions.Led Zep could do that.

He seems to hang out in Pattaya regularly and not snooty either according to all the reports. If I was that famous, I would hide in my mansion and only go out in public in disguise.

young-man-smiling-ecological-paper-bag-h

Edited by Ulysses G.

To me what separates the greats from the many is the ability to both rock and play acoustic, to cross all the emotions.Led Zep could do that.

That is probably what made them so great, the balance between soft and hard. A lot of what was called "heavy metal" after them was garbage IMO.

• Like 1

That is probably what made them so great, the balance between soft and hard. A lot of what was called "heavy metal" after them was garbage IMO.
Absolutely, you've got to be really able to play the guitar, Neil Young ,Pete Townsend, Dave Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Jerry Garcia, Hendrix, etc, can/ could play both acoustic and electric.

Back to Jimmy Page, how about George, Thai Visa owner, inviting Jimmy to one of the Thai Visa get togethers, free booze for the long time regulars and music fans?

Naturally all trolls from the General Forum would be banned at the gate.

• Like 1

The Who,,,,,, Cream,,,,, Joe Cocker & the Grease Band. And really the list just goes on.

jb1

Sorry how could I have left out little Stevie Marriot Small Faces/Hunble Pie.

Tin soldier with PP Arnold (Link below)

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=small+faces+tin+soldier&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-beta&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=ayRyU8H9NtTd8AXVqICoAQ

Edited by jimbeam1
  • Like 2

Absolutely, you've got to be really able to play the guitar, Neil Young ,Pete Townsend, Dave Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Jerry Garcia, Hendrix, etc, can/ could play both acoustic and electric.

Back to Jimmy Page, how about George, Thai Visa owner, inviting Jimmy to one of the Thai Visa get togethers, free booze for the long time regulars and music fans?

Naturally all trolls from the General Forum would be banned at the gate.

Cut my R&R teeth listening to Dave Gilmour in Cambridge in the mid 60s early 70s. Also fortunate enough to have seen Neal Young with Crazy Horse a couple of times.

The Who,,,,,, Cream,,,,, Joe Cocker & the Grease Band. And really the list just goes on.

jb1

CCR, TYA, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Man, Hawkwind, The Byrds, Crosby,Stills Nash and Young, somebody else please continue the list.....( no need to compare- as with somtam and tom yam kung, each has its own taste, flavour and aroma.

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a fairway to Do Buy
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a caddy she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a subway to heaven.

There's a gekko on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
Channel three by the crook, there's a Patpongbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me blunder,

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Every day of High School, in the US in late '60's, I'd play 'Whole Lotta Love' on the jukebox during lunch in the large cafeteria. I've seen the Zeps several times, including their 1st concert of their first US tour, when they opened for the Who - doing Tommy.

Great group, and Jimmy always strikes me as a fine guy. I saw some photos of him recently, and he looks nearly effervescent - maybe a combo of plastic surgery and healthy living.

Even so, after experiencing dozens of the world's best rock bands, I gotta say Los Lobos are up there in the top 5. Chambers Brothers, Johnny Winter, Albert King and Hendrix also rate tops.